Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 47 of 227 < 1 2 ... 45 46 47 48 49 ... 226 227 >
Topic Options
#1498173 - 08/17/10 08:12 PM Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Intermediate/Advanced Players [Re: beeboss]
knotty Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Bethesda, MD (Washington D.C)
Hey Dave,

I'm impressed. This album comes up for me once in a while and I find myself wondering. Who the heck is playing this well?

Try Pandora. It works on iphone and such now. I really enjoy listening in the car. The more expensive alternative is Satellite radio. You discover and re-discover some good stuff...

Wiz,
where are you located?

(ads P/S)

Sauter Pianos

#1498190 - 08/17/10 08:57 PM Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Intermediate/Advanced Players [Re: knotty]
Wizard of Oz Offline
500 Post Club Member

knotty, just sent you a PM.

That last clip sounds a bit like Michel Pettruciani....or an older guy.

I find if you listen enough to any player they will begin to sound distinct and individual. You can tell their style especially in improvising where most players have a tendency to use their favourite chords and phrases, even Keith Jarrett , Herbie, and Chick.

I really like Jason Rebello, who's from beeboss' neck of the woods in the UK. Not a well known name in jazz, but he's played with Sting and Jeff Beck. Killer player.

Here's a new guys I just found, young and talented.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uY4ty-4vnAc&feature=related

He has the blessing of Quincy Jones, who shows up onstage after, so I'm sure he'll get the big marketing push to go far.

#1498217 - 08/17/10 09:42 PM Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Intermediate/Advanced Players [Re: Wizard of Oz]
jazzwee Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Loc: So. California
Knotty, I know who it is too so I'll wait for someone else to guess. The original ones are fairly easy to spot.

Among the younger group, I can spot hiromi because she has a particular technique. But no one else would stand out.

It's really a good test of our ears because I didn't realize how well I could hear these guys. It must mean we have listened a lot or are able to listen well. I think this is a precursor to playing well.

My teacher often engages in an exercise of having a student attempt to sound like someone else. Maybe hearing/knowing different styles is key to developing one's own style.

#1498349 - 08/18/10 03:10 AM Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Intermediate/Advanced Players [Re: jazzwee]
Wizard of Oz Offline
500 Post Club Member

The suspense is killing me!! haha, ok who is it in that clip? My guess is some old guy.

#1498409 - 08/18/10 06:04 AM Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Intermediate/Advanced Players [Re: jazzwee]
beeboss Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: uk south
Ok, so its McCoy, I think he is playing Crescent. My guess is it's a 90's recording, IMO when he was well past his greatest period. All his signature styles are there.

Originally Posted By: jazzwee

It's really a good test of our ears because I didn't realize how well I could hear these guys. It must mean we have listened a lot or are able to listen well. I think this is a precursor to playing well.

It's just a familiarity thing. Even my girlfriend, who has no musical training, can tell Django Bates from John Taylor. Our ears are well tuned to recognising different voices and our instrumental voices are somehow similar. It is just as easy to recognise a non world class improviser, even a relative beginner if one is familiar enough with their sound. Usually of course we don't listen to non-great players for enough hours to make this possible.

#1498456 - 08/18/10 08:43 AM Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Intermediate/Advanced Players [Re: beeboss]
knotty Offline
2000 Post Club Member

>> My teacher often engages in an exercise of having a student attempt to sound like someone else. Maybe hearing/knowing different styles is key to developing one's own style.

I guess that rules out Gyro as being your teacher wink

Billy Taylor was pointing out how sad it is that younger player learn jazz so early in their careers now, missing out on many styles such as baroque, romantic and classical. For us adults, time is limited, but I sure wish I could hint at Debussy when playing solo. Know what I mean?

#1498458 - 08/18/10 08:49 AM Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Intermediate/Advanced Players [Re: knotty]
knotty Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Well ok, what about this?

http://www.box.net/shared/pffdnh7pio

#1498534 - 08/18/10 11:24 AM Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Intermediate/Advanced Players [Re: knotty]
jazzwee Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Yeah I knew it was McCoy. He has a particular touch and of course you hear those voicings and it was a dead give away.

#1498540 - 08/18/10 11:34 AM Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Intermediate/Advanced Players [Re: knotty]
beeboss Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

That one is not quite so easy, but I got it. I won't give it away yet.
I can hear a lot of Bud Powell and Oscar in there but it isn't either of them.
But there not many players who can do that double octave stuff like that.
And I recognised the changes - Manteca.

It's a real downer but Pandora got banned in the uk for copyright problems. We do get Spotify which is even better, so I can't complain.

#1498541 - 08/18/10 11:39 AM Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Intermediate/Advanced Players [Re: jazzwee]
jazzwee Offline
7000 Post Club Member

This last one could be Pettruciani. But it's hard to actually tell. I can hear his swing style and his 16th's. And two handed dexterity. I could be wrong though because the clip is too short.

#1498549 - 08/18/10 11:51 AM Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Intermediate/Advanced Players [Re: beeboss]
jazzwee Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: beeboss
It's just a familiarity thing. Even my girlfriend, who has no musical training, can tell Django Bates from John Taylor.

But is it familiarity with a Tune rather than the player?

Could she figure out from short clips where you don't know what the tune is?

#1498631 - 08/18/10 01:48 PM Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Intermediate/Advanced Players [Re: jazzwee]
beeboss Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

But is it familiarity with a Tune rather than the player?

Could she figure out from short clips where you don't know what the tune is?

Well in reality I think we use all kinds of clues. Firstly I hear style, what kind of tune is it, what period is it from. Of course this is harder to establish if someone is playing in style other than their own, or their own style is particularly retro.
Then I may hear the kinds of notes that are played. In that last clip for instance there is a lot of real straight ahead bop stuff and some stuff that sounds like Peterson but then at the end there is a chromatic descending line which is more modern sounding. I don't think Peterson or Powell ever played a lick like that, its more Herbie or Petrucciani as you say. Its a dead giveaway that its not earlier than say 1960. And then there are those amazing double octave lines, I don't think Petrucciani ever played anything like that with his left hand. Not many people can...Tatum, Peterson and .....

#1498636 - 08/18/10 01:54 PM Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Intermediate/Advanced Players [Re: beeboss]
knotty Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Great analysis Dave. You'd have made a great detective.
Isn't this game fun?

I looked for Spotify but I could not find an iphone app for it. That's the big reason why I went back to Pandora, having music in the car.
I forgot you were in Europe, it's a shame Pandora is banned (or whatever).

++

#1498678 - 08/18/10 02:48 PM Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Intermediate/Advanced Players [Re: knotty]
jazzwee Offline
7000 Post Club Member

This is so much fun. It shows how much I don't know smile I'm still trying to guess.

When I have a guess, I go search on Youtube to see if if the style matches exactly. And so far, everything I've checked out doesn't match to my ears.

At least I know who it is not and it is a big list smile

It appears that the clue is someone at the technical skill level of Peterson and Tatum...And past 1960...

#1498711 - 08/18/10 03:44 PM Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Intermediate/Advanced Players [Re: jazzwee]
beeboss Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

I have put a few more clips to see if anyone can get these.
All names you will have heard of ....

http://www.divshare.com/download/12310900-626

http://www.divshare.com/download/12310904-9e4

http://www.divshare.com/download/12310905-002

good luck

Edited by beeboss (08/18/10 03:45 PM)

#1498792 - 08/18/10 05:11 PM Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Intermediate/Advanced Players [Re: beeboss]
knotty Offline
2000 Post Club Member

I'm pretty sure I got 2 and 3 so far.

Edited by knotty (08/18/10 05:19 PM)

#1498830 - 08/18/10 05:49 PM Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Intermediate/Advanced Players [Re: knotty]
knotty Offline
2000 Post Club Member

>> It appears that the clue is someone at the technical skill level of Peterson and Tatum...And past 1960...
There's a more important clue revealed by Dave already ...

Edited by knotty (08/18/10 05:54 PM)

#1498878 - 08/18/10 07:16 PM Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Intermediate/Advanced Players [Re: knotty]
beeboss Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: knotty
I'm pretty sure I got 2 and 3 so far.

Very good! I thought that 1 would be the easiest and 3 the hardest so I am a little surprised.

#1498884 - 08/18/10 07:37 PM Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Intermediate/Advanced Players [Re: beeboss]
knotty Offline
2000 Post Club Member

well, maybe I got it all wrong ! smile

#1499036 - 08/19/10 01:23 AM Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Intermediate/Advanced Players [Re: knotty]
jazzwee Offline
7000 Post Club Member

OK Knotty, just one last guess on yours. The closest I've heard was Phineas Newborn and I actually never heard him before.

On Beeboss's list:

These are all older recordings so we'll see...

1. Art Tatum? Those runs remind me of Peterson but this is before Peterson's time so I don't know anyone else making those runs in 40's.

2. Duke Ellington? The lines certainly remind me of him and it's a 1940's recording.

3. Hank Jones? This one is a little newer and this one is hard. But it's someone along these lines.

I'm expecting to be wrong on all... This is not as easy as it seems. But it really forced me to listen closely to other players I'm not so familiar with.

#1499037 - 08/19/10 01:30 AM Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Intermediate/Advanced Players [Re: jazzwee]
Wizard of Oz Offline
500 Post Club Member

You guys are putting in all the old jazz, sounds like pre-1960 to me!

I have to say I don't listen to that stuff at all, I prefer the modern players.

#1499094 - 08/19/10 05:32 AM Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Intermediate/Advanced Players [Re: Wizard of Oz]
beeboss Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

JW,
Phineas - you got there in the end. One of the most overlooked players ever.

And you got 1 out of 3 from my clips which isn't bad at all.
Art Tataum is right.
Other 2 aren't but are good guesses.

Wiz, this would be just be impossible with modern players because there are so many.
Maybe we should try it anyway.

#1499113 - 08/19/10 08:08 AM Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Intermediate/Advanced Players [Re: beeboss]
knotty Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Hey Dave,

I sent a PM but perhaps it didn't work. So here's what it was

1. Tatum
2. Wilson
3. Harris

#1499125 - 08/19/10 08:36 AM Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Intermediate/Advanced Players [Re: knotty]
knotty Offline
2000 Post Club Member

>> OK Knotty, just one last guess on yours. The closest I've heard was Phineas Newborn and I actually never heard him before.

Maybe this clip will make you want to hear more of him? For health reasons, the guy didn't get to record quite as much as he should have. A World of piano is a good album to get. I picked this pianist because once you've listened to him for a little bit, his sound is quite recognizable.

#1499128 - 08/19/10 08:41 AM Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Intermediate/Advanced Players [Re: knotty]
beeboss Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Hey Dave,

I sent a PM but perhaps it didn't work. So here's what it was

No, didn't get a pm

2. Wilson
3. Harris

One of these is right but in the wrong place. The other is a good guess, but slightly the wrong era, as both the players in the clips are really pre-bop in style (thats a clue).

I'll post up the answer later today if there are no more guesses.

#1499261 - 08/19/10 01:06 PM Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Intermediate/Advanced Players [Re: beeboss]
jazzwee Offline
7000 Post Club Member

I don't listen to pre-bebop myself. So I don't know anyone and obviously there aren't going to be videos on Youtube. One of the reasons I don't listen to old jazz is that I can't stand the scratchy recordings. It grates on my ears.

My wife likes Billy Holiday for example, perhaps one of the few jazz artists she likes, but I can't stand to listen to old recordings so I gravitate to newer singers. Same with Jazz pianists.

Now I'm not like Wiz in that I appreciate a more older set. But I really would say that my jazz education starts at bebop. I did start listening to Bill Evans onward when I started and then backed up to Dizzy Gillespie/Charlie Parker. That's as far back as I have gone.

I have to say though, that going too far forward is not that useful to my jazz education IMHO. I don't think I've gotten inspiration from anyone younger than Brad Mehldau.

So that's my own limitations to artists I can guess.

#1499278 - 08/19/10 01:35 PM Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Intermediate/Advanced Players [Re: jazzwee]
beeboss Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

I don't listen to pre-bebop myself. So I don't know anyone and obviously there aren't going to be videos on Youtube. One of the reasons I don't listen to old jazz is that I can't stand the scratchy recordings. It grates on my ears.

Man, you gotta get back to the source! Seriously there is a ton of wonderful stuff out there, even on youtube. And pre-bop styles continued to be played long after others were playing beebop so there is no shortage of non-scratchy recordings out there. And there is a lot to learn there as well, the history of the development is important, at least to me.

I love all that old stuff - Ellington, Tatum, Teddy Wilson, Nat King Cole, Fats Waller, Albert Ammons, Willie the Lion, Jelly Roll Morton, Meade Lux Lewis - so much great music there.

Anyways...
the clips were
1-tatum
2-nat king cole
3-teddy wilson

#1499282 - 08/19/10 01:43 PM Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Intermediate/Advanced Players [Re: beeboss]
jazzwee Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Hey I almost got #2! My other choice was Nat King Cole.

I listen to Ellington, Nat King Cole and Tatum. They have newer non-scratchies smile

#1499285 - 08/19/10 01:46 PM Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Intermediate/Advanced Players [Re: jazzwee]
jazzwee Offline
7000 Post Club Member

I have to say though the Phineas was a revelation to me. He actually is fresh sounding and I've never heard him before. That took a little research to figure out. And he's a little newer too so he should have been on my radar.

He's obviously under-appreciated. I hardly ever hear him mentioned. Reminds me of Hank Jones. I think Hank got more attention later in life. Under appreciated most of the time just because he doesn't concentrate on fireworks.

#1499289 - 08/19/10 01:49 PM Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Intermediate/Advanced Players [Re: jazzwee]
jazzwee Offline
7000 Post Club Member

BTW - I consider Jelly Roll Morton, Fats Waller, and Teddy Wilson in the scratchy category smile But I'm sure I hear the style through the newer artists that copy them.

Sorry BB, can't help the scratchies smile

Page 47 of 227 < 1 2 ... 45 46 47 48 49 ... 226 227 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
8 Live Ragtime Piano Players on the Cape!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Janko keyboard video
by Michael Sayers
10/21/14 08:28 PM
RECOVERING PIANO HAMMERS
by Steinway K
10/21/14 07:31 PM
Help with forum for Musette in D Major...
by ieatglitter14
10/21/14 05:27 PM
The 2 Most Common Questions Conundrum
by chernobieff
10/21/14 02:44 PM
Heroic Polonaise help please...
by ChopinLives81
10/21/14 02:28 PM
Who's Online
122 registered (accordeur, A Guy, alfredo capurso, 35 invisible), 1296 Guests and 18 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76608 Members
42 Forums
158403 Topics
2326182 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission