Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1501463 - 08/23/10 10:09 AM "Etude in C Major (Mother of Nature)"
Claude56 Offline

The etude is done. Maybe a few small changes in Sibelius would help, but overall I think my composition sounds pretty good.
Here is the download link:

http://www.4shared.com/audio/v84HsmA_/Etude.html

The whole piece lasts about 3 minutes, so I think that is exceptionally long enough.

Edited by Claude56 (08/23/10 10:16 AM)

Piano & Music Acc. / Sheet Music

Sheet Music Plus Homepage
#1501474 - 08/23/10 10:30 AM Re: "Etude in C Major (Mother of Nature)" [Re: Claude56]
gsmonks Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Saskatchewan, Canada
It's a very nice little piece, Claude. This may be just me, but I would prefer it just a little slower. To my ear it sounds a little frenetic at that tempo. I think a little less speed, a little more ease, would accentuate its grace and flow.

But- that may just be me. I'm not a young guy, full of beans :^)

#1501677 - 08/23/10 04:45 PM Re: "Etude in C Major (Mother of Nature)" [Re: gsmonks]
Ben Crosland Offline

Loc: Worcester, UK
I think it potentially seems like a good piece, but I find the 100% quantized, flat-velocity midi file very tiring to listen to. Any chance you could put up a recording of it being played by a human?

Cool Beans!

Easy Christmas Jazz

YouTube channel

#1501745 - 08/23/10 05:54 PM Re: "Etude in C Major (Mother of Nature)" [Re: Ben Crosland]
Claude56 Offline

Originally Posted By: Ben Crosland
I think it potentially seems like a good piece, but I find the 100% quantized, flat-velocity midi file very tiring to listen to. Any chance you could put up a recording of it being played by a human?

I was thinking about getting someone like Valentina Lisitsa or Lola Astanova to play it(If I can). I betcha they would have a very good interpretation of it!!! They might even make it better!

My piano is all screwed up right now, so I have no chance of recording it on my piano.

#1501910 - 08/23/10 08:47 PM Re: "Etude in C Major (Mother of Nature)" [Re: Claude56]
Claude56 Offline

Here is the downloadable sheet music(in pdf format):

http://www.4shared.com/document/AbLd-gsQ/Etude_in_C_Major_Mother_of_Nat.html

#1501995 - 08/23/10 11:07 PM Re: "Etude in C Major (Mother of Nature)" [Re: Claude56]
currawong Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Down Under
If I were you I'd skip the "in C major" part of the title - as most of it isn't. smile

#1502080 - 08/24/10 02:58 AM Re: "Etude in C Major (Mother of Nature)" [Re: currawong]
pianoman6584 Offline

It's definitely a pretty piece, but generally has no direction smile

Seeing as you're done and it's meant to be an etude, there's no reason for me to critic... unless you want some smile

#1502099 - 08/24/10 04:58 AM Re: "Etude in C Major (Mother of Nature)" [Re: pianoman6584]
Claude56 Offline

Originally Posted By: pianoman6584
It's definitely a pretty piece, but generally has no direction smile

Seeing as you're done and it's meant to be an etude, there's no reason for me to critic... unless you want some smile

What would you do to give it more direction? What do you mean by the word direction itself? Do you mean that my piece modulates too much? Do you mean that it confuses you? Do you mean that the piece is without form? Do you mean that the underlying harmony of the sixteenth notes doesn't sound right?

After all, I on purposely did modulate like 8 times ha ha! - E Major, Eb Major, D minor, D Major, E Major, Ab Major, D minor, C Major, and recycling through many keys. That's part of the style anyways. However, there is a specific system I use to modulate. If I didn't modulate that many times, this etude wouldn't sound like Debussy, either that or this piece would sound like Debussy, but wouldn't be as complex as an etude.

Originally Posted By: currawong
If I were you I'd skip the "in C major" part of the title - as most of it isn't. smile

Well, it ends in C Major. What key do you think the piece is in?

Edited by Claude56 (08/24/10 05:25 AM)

#1502108 - 08/24/10 05:23 AM Re: "Etude in C Major (Mother of Nature)" [Re: Claude56]
pianoman6584 Offline

I think you already have an idea of what I mean since you mentioned pretty much everything I was going to say smile

There's nothing wrong with the modulations, they actually added to the dreamy effect but the melody was kind of neglected. It's hard to give suggestions for this kind of piece really. It's like Debussy meets New Age. If it was more on the romantic side, I could throw in my two cents.

#1502109 - 08/24/10 05:30 AM Re: "Etude in C Major (Mother of Nature)" [Re: pianoman6584]
Claude56 Offline

Originally Posted By: pianoman6584
I think you already have an idea of what I mean since you mentioned pretty much everything I was going to say smile

lol, actually no i don't know, i just listed what possibly could of been your criticisms, however I don't know exactly which ones your talking about. "Everything I was going to say" could of meant that you had two criticisms and I listed 5 smile

Edited by Claude56 (08/24/10 05:52 AM)

#1502543 - 08/24/10 06:41 PM Re: "Etude in C Major (Mother of Nature)" [Re: Claude56]
currawong Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Down Under
Originally Posted By: Claude56
Originally Posted By: currawong

Well, it ends in C Major. What key do you think the piece is in?
I'm not going to do a bar-by-bar analysis - it appears to move through a number of keys, and there's certainly nothing wrong with that! I just think that "in C major" in the title is unnecessary, especially when the opening key signature is 4 sharps! Confusing, too - my first thought when I glanced at the score was that the title was a misprint and you meant C# minor. But it's your piece - do what you like. smile

#1502550 - 08/24/10 06:51 PM Re: "Etude in C Major (Mother of Nature)" [Re: currawong]
Nikolas Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Europe
It is his piece and he should do what he likes! But indeed the pieces goes around and around, and changes key signatures a lot. It starts out with 4 sharps, if I recall, so really the C major is misleading I'm afraid.

#1502680 - 08/24/10 10:47 PM Re: "Etude in C Major (Mother of Nature)" [Re: Nikolas]
Claude56 Offline

Do you guys think there could be improvements? After all, even though I said I am done, nothing is definite, so I can always go back and change things.

This was a first time attempt in writing in a style like this, and it was a struggle to even keep everything in time. The smooth modulation techniques I used in this piece almost didn't even work. I was having trouble figuring out the semiquaver patterns for each chord change in the left hand, and when I had a pattern in mind, whenever it was played at a fast tempo, it would sound out of time.

When you guys meant by neglecting the melody, did you mean that the left hand played in the middle range of the keyboard was overpowering the melody?

Maybe next time when I write another piece like this, it will be better. Criticisms of the piece would be really helpful.

Edited by Claude56 (08/24/10 11:01 PM)

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
NAMM 2015 - Are You Booked??
by Piano World
48 minutes 3 seconds ago
Music stores in Boston
by Jamie_from_Canada
Today at 09:39 AM
Need a stool of some kind
by GeorgeStorm
Today at 09:19 AM
Schoenberg's Kammersymphonie Op. 9 (for piano)
by jeffreyjones
Today at 08:48 AM
Old Schumann Upright
by UnrightTooner
Today at 08:24 AM
Who's Online
153 registered (accordeur, 36251, Alex75001, alans, ajames, 46 invisible), 1715 Guests and 22 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76389 Members
42 Forums
157920 Topics
2319266 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission