Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
67 registered (Beemer, Auver, beet31425, Beachdingo, Alan_Dublin, 18 invisible), 1118 Guests and 26 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Topic Options
#1501489 - 08/23/10 10:54 AM Your first song?
Zak_LP Offline

I didn't find a thread about this, but it wouldn't surprise me if there already is one...

I just thought it would be interesting to share what the first song or songs you learnt were. Feel free to post links of the songs or of you playing them smile

I've only just started playing piano about a few days ago so this is my first song I'm trying to learn as much of as I can
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mwh3W1TwPTo
I'm currently at the 1 minute mark but not quite at full speed

I've also been messing around with different arpeggios and such too smile

So, what was your first?

(ads P/S)

Sauter Pianos

#1501499 - 08/23/10 11:04 AM Re: Your first song? [Re: Zak_LP]
casinitaly Online   blank

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014

Loc: Italy
The first "song" I tried to learn was "The Holy and the Ivy" , I don't remember the very first "piece" I tried but one of the first was "Cowboy Ride" which was quite amusing and a bit of a challenge!

I think you're very ambitious, taking on a piece as challenging as the one you linked to for your first!

Have fun!

#1501502 - 08/23/10 11:08 AM Re: Your first song? [Re: casinitaly]
Emphursis1 Offline

Loc: England, Leicestershire
First song? Probably Jingle Bells at Primary school lol.
First piece? Mvt.1 of Moonlight Sonata. You said you wanted links? There's a link in my sig for Mvt. 2 of 'Pathetique'.
Beethoven - Op 13 'Pathetique' Mvt.2

#1501533 - 08/23/10 11:50 AM Re: Your first song? [Re: Emphursis1]
Monica K. Offline

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012

Loc: Lexington, Kentucky
The first piece I learned in piano was the Dan Coates easy piano version of Canon in D. smile

#1501650 - 08/23/10 03:56 PM Re: Your first song? [Re: Monica K.]
bluekeys Offline
1000 Post Club Member

The first few songs I learned were simple etudes from a library book I checked out after I bought my first 61-key unweighted keyboard. I already knew how to read the treble clef from guitar, so I just used the book to learn the bass clef.

The first "real" piece I learned was (the deadly) Fur Elise, which was programmed into the keyboard, so I could slow it waaay down and match it to the sheet music. I started learning it within my first month and it's still in my repertoire four years later.

As much as people (here) say they hate Fur Elise, I find that whenever I play in public (which for me is mostly piano stores and sometimes for family), it's the piece that attracts the most interest. Probably because people rarely see anyone play the whole thing rather than the first 9 notes.

BTW - If you have really only been playing a few days you are the most phenomenal piano prodigy I have ever heard. Oh wait... I take it you linked the song you're learning, not you playing it.

Edited by bluekeys (08/23/10 04:05 PM)

#1501694 - 08/23/10 05:03 PM Re: Your first song? [Re: bluekeys]
tangleweeds Offline

Silver Supporter until Jan 11 2012

Loc: Portlandia
I got my starter keyboard at Christmastime, and in anticipation I'd gotten some sort of !!!Instant-Piano!!! lead sheet/block chord book from the library. It just so happened that Silent Night was one of the first songs in the book, and it seemed seasonally appropriate, so it became the first tune I mangled upon my return to playing piano.

The first tune I sat down and learned to play well was Echo Dance by Philip Hainhofer. I knew enough to puzzle out a few beginner tunes at that level from my abortive childhood lessons, but that was the one that stood out as being most interesting to me, because of how some phrases started on the last beat of the measure but others started on the first, and how the hands interwove their parts. I still like it!

neglected piano blog

#1501737 - 08/23/10 05:45 PM Re: Your first song? [Re: tangleweeds]
Zak_LP Offline

No, unfortunately, that's not me playing but I think he plays the piece beautifully. It definitely looks more difficult than it is as both hands are pretty much doing the same rhythm also upto where I am there's not really any point where they are both playing lots at once. The only difficulty I'm having is concentrating on moving both hands from one place to another at the same time as there are a few chord changes that are quite far apart.

#1501946 - 08/23/10 09:27 PM Re: Your first song? [Re: Zak_LP]
CebuKid Offline
1000 Post Club Member

I don't remember what my 1st "song" was in 1979, but in 2008, it was "Joyful, Joyful" (or Ode to Joy) from Beethoven's 9th. It's one of the songs from a Denes Agay Wedding book.

I learned it in about a week after a 27 year layoff from piano. My wife sang along with it!

Most recently, I played through "Morning has Broken"...a nice Irish folk song. Sight-read it! (though not that well)...

Music washes away from the soul
the dust of everyday life.
- Berthold Auerbach

#1501952 - 08/23/10 09:32 PM Re: Your first song? [Re: CebuKid]
CMohr Offline

Silver Supporter until Dec 29 2012

Loc: Oregon
My first song was one my mom taught me. I don't think it really had a title, but I always called it Adam & Eve. It was the main part of a duet. When I started lessons at 7 yrs. old it was with the John Thompson books, so for reading music it was the first one in the first book - either titled "Here We Go" or "Bithday Party" - I can't remember. Whoa, that was a long time ago!

#1502950 - 08/25/10 11:44 AM Re: Your first song? [Re: CMohr]
Little_Blue_Engine Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Ohio, US
I think when I was a kid someone showed me "Mary Had A Little Lamb". Woohoo. How exciting...

In junior high or high school one of my friends taught me a simplified shortened arrangement of "Fur Elise". That was the first thing that felt like it was any kind of accomplishment.

#1502982 - 08/25/10 12:48 PM Re: Your first song? [Re: Zak_LP]
Alagondar Offline

Loc: The Netherlands
My very first song was "strangers in the night". Ever since I was à young boy I played strangers on each melodic instrument I could lay my hands on. It has become à sort of personal tradition. Now when I say play I mean only the melody. I also played THE drums but playing strangers on that would be à challenge.

#1503313 - 08/25/10 11:09 PM Re: Your first song? [Re: Alagondar]
ab-ster Offline

Loc: Seattle
My very first song learnt was Knife by Rockwel, it was my first lesson. I was 14 I think. My very first piece was Chopin Polonaise in A Major - Militaire. I was 19 years old and I learnt it by inputting all of the notes into computer and played it back using MIDI. I did it by ear one measure at a time. There were many wrong notes that I inputted, so I've been playing that piece wrong for years and years, lol.

#1503436 - 08/26/10 07:19 AM Re: Your first song? [Re: ab-ster]
Canonie Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Australia
I can't remember my first childhood piece... too long ago.

My young students learn Mucus for their first piece. It's pretty disgusting laugh

Composers manufacture a product that is universally deemed superfluous—at least until their music enters public consciousness, at which point people begin to say that they could not live without it.
Alex Ross.

#1503476 - 08/26/10 08:35 AM Re: Your first song? [Re: Canonie]
LaRate Offline

Loc: Germany
The first "real" piece I learned (about a year ago) was No Holly for Miss Quinn from Enya.

Although I certainly have played it for more than a hundred times now, I still find it really beautiful and it is quite manageable for a beginner.

@Canonie: Aeris' theme is a beautiful piece. However, I take lessons for one year now and don't quite dare to try and learn this one. Admittedly, I am a slow learner (at least at the piano)...

#1503480 - 08/26/10 08:58 AM Re: Your first song? [Re: LaRate]
TheHappyMoron Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: UK
the first piece i remember learning was my grandad's version of over the waves although i couldn't reach octaves back then! oh, how i remember not being able to reach an octave!!

#1503523 - 08/26/10 10:06 AM Re: Your first song? [Re: TheHappyMoron]
GustavoF Offline

Loc: France
As I just started learning piano about 3 months back this is an easy question, but I will give you 2 answers.

The first arrangement was "Joyful, Joyful" a very simple arrangement, very nice to start. The first real piece (and only one so far) is :

Prelude in C BWV 846 Bach. My teacher thought it was a nice piece to start with and I agree with her. Very nice. Now that I can play it at tempo I am polishing it to give it more musicality, putting the accents, making the piece mine. I have two months to polish it on top of all the other assigments!

"The maze was so small that you got lost looking for it." by Terry Pratchett.

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!

Trade Regrets:
Barry "Bear" Arnaut

(ad) Yamaha
Yamaha
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
(ad) Piano Music Sale - Dover Publications
Piano Music Sale
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Antique Piano
by NeoNeo78
11/23/14 03:29 AM
Hammer felt repairs. Advice Please
by Beachdingo
11/23/14 02:12 AM
Keyframe corner rounded at una corda spring contact
by sopranojam85
11/23/14 12:04 AM
Yamaha Grantouch GT 10
by Valhalun
11/22/14 11:55 PM
Hamelin plays Gershwin
by beet31425
11/22/14 11:02 PM
Forum Stats
77013 Members
42 Forums
159281 Topics
2339837 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission