2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
30 members (Animisha, brennbaer, Cominut, crab89, aphexdisklavier, admodios, busa, drumour, Foxtrot3, EVC2017, 3 invisible), 1,214 guests, and 276 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
P
pjs Offline OP
OP Offline
P
It is info like this that I was looking for when trying to choose a new keyboard, so I hope someone finds it helpful. I have played piano for over 40 years and although classically trained to Gd VIII have played in numerous rock, blues and jazz bands and have been fortunate enough to have played most of the top name grands. My own home piano is a 120 year old grand.

I had an RD700GX for a year but sent it back twice to have the keybed replaced as the surface of the ivory feel was wearing out and very rough and annoying under my fingers. This resulted in eventually sending it back for good. This was rather upsetting as everything else about the RD was excellent, especially with the SN piano upgrade and without the key problem would have not been looking again.

I found a music shop that had all the keyboards I wanted to try and after a 160 mile drive was set up in their soundproof room with the selection wired through a mixer and KRK monitors. This included the RD as a benchmark. I was essentially looking for a piano with the other sounds of secondary importance. The Roland V Piano was streets ahead of the others and I wanted to play it for the rest of the day, but knew it was time to move on as it was way too heavy and the keys were made from the same material as the RD and the demo version was already showing signs of wear.

After dismissing a few others I started on the Yamaha CP5 and instantly wanted to play it all day. After being stunned by the pianos I moved on to the electric pianos and was again really impressed. I have also owned a Rhodes MkII from new so am totally familiar with how they should sound. I was then convinced by the CP5 and instantly had it put in the car for the 160 mile trip home again.

I am almost glad now that the RD keys wore because side by side with CP5 the RD could not compete. When I got it home and started playing with all the other sounds I found that these were also superior. The CP5 keyboard touch is excellent and I find it less tiring to play - I often play for 5 or 6 hours. The Yamaha ivory feel keys are great and show no signs of wear - apparently it is the same keyboard as the high end Clavinovas. I loved the escapement on the RD but haven't really missed it on the CP.

But now for the negatives with the Yamaha - I have owned many different keyboards and synths over the years so am no beginner when it comes to operating and programming them (even DX7s). The CP will do most of the same things as the RD but non of it is easy like on the RD or laid out as well. The manual is very vague and unhelpful. The CP doesn't have a mod wheel, nor does it have the facility to edit the drawbars on organ sounds in real time, but it does have the facility to put a mic through its own channel with FX.

Bottom line - even if Roland sorted the key finish, I wouldn't swap back because the sounds and playing experience of the Yamaha far out weigh the few quirks it has.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Welcome to the forum pjs, and what a terrific review to kick-off with.

Enjoy that lovely CP5!

Cheers,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
I totally respect your opinions on both of the keyboards, and I know, as we all do, that we all have different tastes, but I haven't experienced the key wear issue that you refer to.

I've had my RD700gx for almost a year now, and I play it no less than 15-20 hours a week, and I have absolutely no key wear.

Whether or not the key wear issue was resolved on the newer models, I can't say; but I do know that I go at it hard sometimes, and I periodically take out a flashlight and look down the keyboard with a magnifying glass, and there is no flaking or abnormal wear on mine.

Again, I'm not doubting your word at all, and I don't have a CP-5 DP to compare the 2 instruments, but I absolutely love mine. Welcome to the forum.
John

guitar player for 48 years, and started playing the piano 16 months ago.
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
The RD-700GX keywear is widely reported as an early issue since fixed. And you really need to compare the CP5 with the RD-700GXF. I do agree with you that the RD interface is much more intuitive.

D
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
D

P
pjs Offline OP
OP Offline
P
The key wear thing for me was never fixed - the action was initially replaced by Roland and when this also developed the problem they supplied me with a brand new RD (with the GX1 upgrade) which was only 4 months ago and the same thing happened within a few weeks. The wear for me was the half octave above and below middle C and I suspect caused by the thumb nail - however this was not an issue on my Roland A90EX after 13 years or my Gors & Kallmann after 30 years and at the moment my CP5.

I have heard many comments from users who have not experienced this, however a friend of mine has been using his RD for just over a year and the keys had worn so much that they looked like balsa wood and to me, were unplayable. His has now gone back for a new action. Additionally, the RD that was on demo at the shop I tried them all at was showing signs of wear as was the V-Piano.

I am happy for the RD owners who have not had this problem as it is a great keyboard.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
I own a CP5 and there is one very noticeable flaw in the default piano voice. The B,C,C# and D two octaves above middle C are much too loud when played at a ff or fff level. They really stand out when compared to their surrounding notes.

It took me a week before I noticed that.

This keyboard only gets used when there is no acoustic piano to be played. Sadly there is hardly any work to begin with. I'll be selling my CP5 in three or four years and it will be in pristine condition.

Yamaha AvantGrand N1X | Roland RD 2000 | Sennheiser HD 598 headphones
P
pjs Offline OP
OP Offline
P
On the point of personal taste in piano sound and feel, I will admit that I prefer a bright (but not overly) sound. I therefore almost totally used the SN01 on the RD and the CF on the Yamaha. One of the main differences I found when comparing these was that the RD sounded great when playing f, ff or fff but became a little too nasal when played mf or p, but the CP just sounded more mellow when played lightly, which means you do not need a different patch for ballads or solo work.

This has already probably been dealt with elsewhere on the forum, but thought I would add it here anyway. DO NOT expect any of these high quality instruments to sound good live if you use a mono keyboard combo setup. These pianos must be used in stereo or else you lose so much. I have a the Roland KC550 and have even tried 2 of them. They are great for synthy type sounds but do not do a good piano justice. I am now using a pair of active monitors and can pretty well produce my studio sound live.

P
pjs Offline OP
OP Offline
P
Hi David

After reading your post re the loud notes I have tried mine extensively in this area and cannot detect this. There is a slight drop off of about 5dB after the D but to me this sounds quite natural as this is the area where the dampers finish on a "real" piano. Could it be that your room or speaker system has a standing frequency around this area? I think it would be around 2K. I can create this problem by boosting the high mid on the master eq section, so reducing it slightly should solve your problem.

P
pjs Offline OP
OP Offline
P
Originally Posted by Dave Ferris

For people that gig, the percentage that end up choosing Yamahas, at least that I know in LA here, far outnumber the Rolands.

This is the same for my area according to the dealer

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by pjs
Hi David

After reading your post re the loud notes I have tried mine extensively in this area and cannot detect this. There is a slight drop off of about 5dB after the D but to me this sounds quite natural as this is the area where the dampers finish on a "real" piano. Could it be that your room or speaker system has a standing frequency around this area? I think it would be around 2K. I can create this problem by boosting the high mid on the master eq section, so reducing it slightly should solve your problem.

Nope, I use headphones, Sony MDR-V600. Play staccato notes at a ff or fff level. Play notes in and around that area. It's noticeable to me.

Yamaha AvantGrand N1X | Roland RD 2000 | Sennheiser HD 598 headphones
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
I can't say I'm a huge fan of the "ivory feel" finish as it seems less durable and more prone to getting and staying dirty than straight plastic. But it's kind of hard for me to believe that the Roland key wear issue hasn't been pretty much addressed, particularly at this late date.

I think I fall under the category that Dave mentioned(playing at home solo), and also recording in the home studio.

I want to try out the CP-1,5,50 keyboards, but I've yet to get to any of the music stores since they've become available(work schedule). I almost fear doing so, as I might end up adding it to the stable, much to my wifes protesting.
John

guitar player for 48 years, and started playing the piano 16 months ago.
W
W
Originally Posted by dewster
I can't say I'm a huge fan of the "ivory feel" finish as it seems less durable and more prone to getting and staying dirty than straight plastic. But it's kind of hard for me to believe that the Roland key wear issue hasn't been pretty much addressed, particularly at this late date.

My experience with Roland is that they have had a real problem dating back to the late '80s when it come to addressing issues (such as sometimes never addressing the issue). So much so that I sold all my Roland gear and will never buy from them in the future.
Clyde

DX7IIFD, SY77, SY99, Hammond C3, Steinway L, CP300, etc.
B
B
Check the Forum topic here "Privia PX3 vs Yamaha CP50" for a lot more information on the Yamaha CP5/50. I have been on a maddening search for the right gig piano for a while and the CP5 seems to be the right choice for me now.

M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by dewster
The RD-700GX keywear is widely reported as an early issue since fixed.

No, not fixed. Urban legend, I'd say, that it only occurred on early models, and has been fixed.

My 3 month RD-700GX key surface is suffering badly. I would describe it as premature wear. I know of someone else on the forum with a fairly new HP-307 with the same problem.

Strangely, my HP-207, which I've used regularly for 3 years shows absolutely no sign of wear.

I'm hauling my defective RD back to the dealer today. At least they are going to provide a loaner whist the problem is being dealt with.

D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
With the new NX Roland due out in a couple of weeks perhaps it would be best to wait.

"I'm still an idiot and I'm still in love" - Blue Sofa - The Plugz 1981 (Tito Larriva)
Disclosure : I am professionally associated with Arturia but my sentiments are my own only.
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Yeah, or the upcoming Kawai MP10: choices, choices...

K A W A I ..... R O L A N D ......... E - M U
C A - 9 3 ......... A X - 7 ...... X B O A R D - 4 9
pjs, I'm curious as to what kind of active monitors you now use,and if they're loud enough in a higher volume gig (the kind where you wind up with a bit or a lot of ringing in your ears unless using earplugs).
Most of the gigs I do involve such volume, and are run mono for consistent sound in all parts of the venue, so I don't get the luxury of stereo. I did read on another thread here that one solution is to feed the left side to the mixer and use the right side for your personal monitor.

Terry@cincyrockers.com
www.theplayerpianoshop.com
B
B
Originally Posted by Dr Popper
With the new NX Roland due out in a couple of weeks perhaps it would be best to wait.

What? Really? Never heard about that yet. How did you find out about this? You mean like Roland RD-700NX?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,179
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission