Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#1504399 - 08/27/10 04:56 PM Re: Yamaha CP5 vs Roland RD700GX [Re: EssBrace]
Melodialworks Music Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Canada
http://www.fullcompass.com/product/351195.html

Read the description.
"Roland's KS-G8 keyboard stand is designed for 88-key keyboards like the Fantom-G8, RD700NX, RD700GX, and RD300GX."
Yamaha NU1 + Production Grand

(ad) Roland

Click Here

#1504574 - 08/27/10 10:46 PM Re: Yamaha CP5 vs Roland RD700GX [Re: Melodialworks Music]
7even Offline

Originally Posted By: Melodialworks Music
http://www.fullcompass.com/product/351195.html

Read the description.
"Roland's KS-G8 keyboard stand is designed for 88-key keyboards like the Fantom-G8, RD700NX, RD700GX, and RD300GX."

Haha JUST after I ordered a 700GXF. Could always exchange if the improvement is worth the hassle, I suppose....

Edited by 7even (08/27/10 10:46 PM)

#1504602 - 08/27/10 11:43 PM Re: Yamaha CP5 vs Roland RD700GX [Re: 7even]
Rhodie73 Offline

Loc: New York
Yeah, if you really just want a top notch acoustic piano sound with the playability to match, you're more than covered with GXF. But if you also want that and possibly some new goodies (like ARX expansion) then check out what this NX has. I'm still trying to figure out why Roland is creating another stage piano and one with the RD700 surname, again. I figure by now they would move on to 800 or 900. Sept 1st will be right around the corner, so we'll see what happens.

#1504606 - 08/27/10 11:56 PM Re: Yamaha CP5 vs Roland RD700GX [Re: Rhodie73]
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Rhodie73
I'm still trying to figure out why Roland is creating another stage piano and one with the RD700 surname, again.

What?

You can't see the logic in moving from the SX to GX to NX?

(OK, so I can't either . . . !)

#1504668 - 08/28/10 03:15 AM Re: Yamaha CP5 vs Roland RD700GX [Re: Rhodie73]
7even Offline

Yeah, if you really just want a top notch acoustic piano sound with the playability to match, you're more than covered with GXF. But if you also want that and possibly some new goodies (like ARX expansion) then check out what this NX has. I'm still trying to figure out why Roland is creating another stage piano and one with the RD700 surname, again. I figure by now they would move on to 800 or 900. Sept 1st will be right around the corner, so we'll see what happens.

Yup, I mostly want a top notch acoustic piano sound. Unless they radically improve the board, I doubt I would go through the hassle just for ARX and built-in Supernatural pianos.

#1504694 - 08/28/10 05:52 AM Re: Yamaha CP5 vs Roland RD700GX [Re: 7even]
Dr Popper Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Hancock Park LA (not again)
Don't expect revolution with this new board ...more like gentle evolution. Few new things here and there but nothing spectacular.

#1504752 - 08/28/10 10:11 AM Re: Yamaha CP5 vs Roland RD700GX [Re: Dr Popper]
dewster Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Northern NJ
Originally Posted By: Dr Popper
Don't expect revolution with this new board ...more like gentle evolution. Few new things here and there but nothing spectacular.

Uh-oh. Looks like we've got at least another year then before Roland significantly updates / replaces the RD.

PHAIII and better integrated SN APs would push me over the edge I suppose, though something tells me there are no edges in my immediate future.

#1504754 - 08/28/10 10:16 AM Re: Yamaha CP5 vs Roland RD700GX [Re: dewster]
1000 Post Club Member

It's like the Motif XS to Motif XF. Virtually the same instrument. Yawn and disappointment.

#1504816 - 08/28/10 12:59 PM Re: Yamaha CP5 vs Roland RD700GX [Re: Dr Popper]
Rhodie73 Offline

Originally Posted By: Dr Popper

Yeah, this is what I'm thinking too. Its makes sense because its still called the RD700xx. Like I have mentioned in earlier posts, Roland is probably going to give it the same action as the V-Piano with the cursed "Ivory Feel", that still has the problem of wearing. I'm pretty sure that they are going to include ARX expansion with an interface that can take advantage of it, similar to how the ARX-02 EP's is already in the GX. It takes a long time for Roland to develop these cards because of the in depth technology used in them. I remember reading an article in Keyboard Magazine with them talking about the development of the SuperNatural technology which actually is a more advanced version of their previous SA technology from the 80's.

Anyway, I'm sure that Roland wants to make as much money as they can with the ARX series (especially with the time and money invested in them), so that is why they will "evolve" the RD to accept them and keep everything consistent with the RD700 series. The original RD700 was always in parallel (expansion capabilities) with their workstation series and I suspect they will continue here.

#1504837 - 08/28/10 01:48 PM Re: Yamaha CP5 vs Roland RD700GX [Re: Rhodie73]
EssBrace Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Suffolk, United Kingdom
Excellent...great for the mighty old Roland SA synthesis to get a mention. Development ceased due to the death of its creator and no one else had the knowledge...or so I read somewhere. I have a Roland RD-1000...the daddy of them all and it makes the current crop of stage pianos look like toys. No stretching, no layers, no loops. Playability better than anything since with the possible exception of the V-Piano...and all from 1986. Only catch is it don't sound like a piano! Still, you can't have everything.

Cheers,

Steve

#1504851 - 08/28/10 02:19 PM Re: Yamaha CP5 vs Roland RD700GX [Re: EssBrace]
Rhodie73 Offline

Originally Posted By: EssBrace
Only catch is it don't sound like a piano!

Yeah that's because SA technology was also relying on 80's sampling technology as well! Samples are actually used in SA synthesis, but more as a foundation reference and then the SA synthesis takes over. This is what SuperNatural technology is all about and why it sounds very authentic and still has the playability characteristics of the SA technology. SuperNatural technology is able to use current sampling techniques, combined with an updated version of SA synthesis to produce some very authentic and playable instruments.

#1504864 - 08/28/10 03:00 PM Re: Yamaha CP5 vs Roland RD700GX [Re: Rhodie73]
EssBrace Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Suffolk, United Kingdom
I own the RD-700GX with SN and I have the old RD-1000 (and an old MKS-20...the RD-1000 in a box)...in terms of tonal change according to velocity, dynamics, playability - call it what you will - the RD-1000 is still some way ahead of SN (as is the V-Piano in my opinion).

However, SN is that happy compromise between playability and sonic realism. In this last respect SN is clearly superior to the V-Piano and on another planet from the old war-horse RD-1000.

There is a snippet about the technology here:

http://emusician.com/futuretech/goes_around/

I think the interesting point is that my (uneducated) reading of this is that Roland have created a technology that allows sounds to morph while (all?) the others rely on cross-fading to smooth out transitions between sample segments and/or loops etc.

Steve

#1504882 - 08/28/10 03:55 PM Re: Yamaha CP5 vs Roland RD700GX [Re: EssBrace]
Rhodie73 Offline

Originally Posted By: EssBrace
There is a snippet about the technology here:

http://emusician.com/futuretech/goes_around/

Yep that's the same article that I was talking about that was in Keyboard Magazine as well. Roland has some great potential with this technology because of the combination of using actual hugh quality samples as a basis and then using a kind of modeling technology to fill in the gaps and make the instruments highly playable.

Towards the end of the article you notice that they talk about the unfortunate fact that it will take time for new SuperNatural boards to be produced, because they are time consuming to develop. Over at the Roland Clan forums many Fantom users are complaining about this. Ultimately, I think that is why the RD700GX/F still uses SRX cards (even though this series is discontinued). Roland knew that it takes time to create new ARX cards and wasn't sure of the market and didn't want to commit all of their new keyboards (that have expansion capabilities) to this series. Therefore they figure that they would appease users to still have access to the SRX series even though they knew good and well they were discontinuing the line. Hence, now they are finally making an RD700 series board that "out right" accepts ARX cards. This is probably what the RD700NX is all about.

So as a recap: Roland issued the RD700GX that actually had ARX expansion capabilities, but not exactly. Then they update it with an an SRX/ARX hybrid board that IS actually SuperNatural technology and name this "new" board the RD700GXF. They made money twice there! Now they are probably going to create the RD700NX that "out right" has ARX expansion capabilities. Whoa boy, Roland! Why didn't they do this from the get go? It's all about money folks!!!!

#1505785 - 08/30/10 04:47 AM Re: Yamaha CP5 vs Roland RD700GX [Re: Rhodie73]
abomic Offline

Loc: France
Compilations Tuto - Yamaha CP5 almost everything .... but in French
http://www.audiokeys.net/forum/showthread.php?23766-CP5-Yamaha-Tout-savoir-Compil-de-liens-utiles

Summary of links:
- Videos quality
- Testing and analysis comparisons
- High resolution photos
- Fly-Transport Case
- Tips and Tricks Programming
- Survey for transmission to Yamaha for improvement
- Establishment of a community of users CP5
- Editing Software Mac / PC for editing / Swap, copy, bank performance

#1506822 - 08/31/10 08:10 PM Re: Yamaha CP5 vs Roland RD700GX [Re: EssBrace]
7even Offline

#1506829 - 08/31/10 08:20 PM Re: Yamaha CP5 vs Roland RD700GX [Re: 7even]
Kawai James Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Loc: Hamamatsu, Japan
Mmmm, nice. wink

Thanks for posting.

So what else has been improved (from the GXF) aside from upgrading to the PHAIII keyboard?

Cheers,
James
x

"Richard, none of us could forget you have a CLP-990." - EssBrace, 2014

#1506838 - 08/31/10 08:33 PM Re: Yamaha CP5 vs Roland RD700GX [Re: Kawai James]
Scooby Hoo Offline

Perhaps RD-700NX deserves its own thread? Looks like it won't be available until mid-November.

Three pianos. Plenty of digital pianos.

No ARX expansion support.

What is the difference between "Sound Focus" and more polyphony?

Also, these links to more "supernatural" options:

FP-7

HPi-6F

HPi-7F

#1506845 - 08/31/10 08:46 PM Re: Yamaha CP5 vs Roland RD700GX [Re: Scooby Hoo]
sullivang Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Sydney, Australia
Excellent stuff - thankyou Roland!!! smile

Greg.

#1506851 - 08/31/10 09:02 PM Re: Yamaha CP5 vs Roland RD700GX [Re: sullivang]
dewster Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Northern NJ
So they finally killed the SRX expansion, no huge loss I guess (big bux for 32MB to 64MB ~10 year old sample sets - meh). The addition of ARX would have been awesome, but that would have made it a very different keyboard as those boards require quite a bit in the way of display and control. PHAIII is very welcome, though the ivory feel not so much. The video mentions easy recording - maybe they finally put a simple WAV / MP3 recorder in there like everyone else is doing? If only they had moved / removed the stupid joystick. The more things change...

That said, I'm thinking rather strongly of getting one for our studio. Anyone know when they will actually release them in the US and what the price will be?

#1507236 - 09/01/10 02:24 PM Re: Yamaha CP5 vs Roland RD700GX [Re: Melodialworks Music]
blueston Offline

Loc: MA, USA
Originally Posted By: Melodialworks Music
I'm still trying to figure out why Roland is creating another stage piano and one with the RD700 surname, again.

What?

You can't see the logic in moving from the SX to GX to NX?

(OK, so I can't either . . . !)

Switch Gear Now?

Sell Get New?

See GodAwful Naming?

Ok. I'm done. blush

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
94 registered (36251, Atrys, Almaviva, ADWyatt, 27 invisible), 1146 Guests and 43 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74250 Members
42 Forums
153597 Topics
2251162 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
First recordings - Some music for Easter
by wolferblade
Today at 01:01 AM
Recorded a song on my workstation tonight
by Arizona Sage
Today at 12:04 AM
How to tune a piano.....
by Grandpianoman
Yesterday at 11:46 PM
Need help with upgrading(?) Roland digital
by Pathbreaker
Yesterday at 10:23 PM
CA glue applications
by accordeur
Yesterday at 10:01 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission