2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
66 members (brennbaer, accordeur, antune, Colin Miles, anotherscott, AndyOnThePiano2, benkeys, 12 invisible), 1,850 guests, and 315 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#1504615 08/28/10 12:18 AM
K
keyG Offline OP
OP Offline
K
So....., for my Christian brothers out there or at least fellow church organist' or anyone else who can help, my question is, what are some ways to enhance playing hymns?? I know creativity is a big part but inspiration is required. For instance some of the hymns have a calm lovely almost sad feel to them. So when playing something like that how would you add some originality to it to give the listener the sad feel??? What type of piano music should I listen to that can help me enhance the way I play hymns to give it more feeling??? Currently I read and play according to the book but I don't want it to be dull like that. I want to add some flare to it. How should I go about doing so? smile

P
P
You don't really need to add any flare, the four part harmony in itself is quite beautiful!

Focus on beautiful tone and good voicing - perhaps doubling the bass if it's a particularly "pipe organ" hymn such as Praise My Soul the King of Heaven.

On tempi: It is either a song or a dance, pick one and let the choir and assembly follow you.

repertoire for the moment:
bach: prelude and fugue in b-, book i (WTC)
mozart - sonata in D+, k. 576
schumann (transc. liszt) - widmung
coulthard - image astrale
K
keyG Offline OP
OP Offline
K
several organist have some and visited my church and the way they played it was so beautiful. If I could make a recording just to give you an idea you'd see. But you sound like you're familiar with the hymns. What I'm talking about for instance is take for example the hymn you used: Praise My soul The King of Heaven. Say they are singing and you are playing, "praise my soul the king of heaven....." when that line ends notice there's a slight stretch/hold of the ending word before they move on to the next line. During that slight hold rather than just holding the notes I'm talking about playing some style like quickly running through like 5 keys to give it that ascending sound before proceeding on to the next line. Do you understand now?

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,223
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission