Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
141 registered (36251, AmateurBob, anamnesis, aceydawg, accordeur, 44 invisible), 1501 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Topic Options
#1504989 - 08/28/10 07:13 PM "With Your Own Two Hands" by Seymour Bernstein
Overexposed Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Hi, Someone recently recommended this book "With Your Own Two Hands". ( I think John recommended it.) I just finished it today and here are some ideas I came across. I hope you find some of it interesting and/or useful. smile

Productive practicing is a process that promotes self-integration. It is the kind of practice that puts you in touch with an all-pervasive order.

Look upon your talent as something uniquely yours and develop it.

One thing is certain: your progress will be proportionate to the quality and quantity of the effort expended.

The essential ingredient in a teacher-pupil relationship, as in all relationships, is the sincere concern of one person for another.

Make a full, resonant sound without banging.

Rhythmic values and dynamic indications are symbols that represent feelings.

(ad) Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#1504992 - 08/28/10 07:24 PM Re: "With Your Own Two Hands" by Seymour Bernstein [Re: Overexposed]
AZNpiano Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Orange County, CA
Originally Posted By: Ann in Kentucky
Make a full, resonant sound without banging.

I agree with this statement in principle; however, I've discovered tone production is greatly affected by the quality of the instrument. There are some pianos that will tolerate "banging" and still produce a beautiful sound. There are some pianos that are so sensitive, if you breathe on it you'll make a harsh sound.

I think it's more important to teach students to always listen to the sound they're making. Adjust to the instrument and the room's acoustics. I was at a master class that took place inside a hotel ballroom (horrible acoustics), and the master teacher told the student to play with full force, because the room's carpet acts as "a giant soft pedal."

#1505282 - 08/29/10 10:44 AM Re: "With Your Own Two Hands" by Seymour Bernstein [Re: AZNpiano]
Gerard12 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: South Carolina
I remember when that book first came out - jeez, was it really about 30 years ago? - a couple of my teachers dismissed it as being too 'touchy - feely.'

And I thought less of them for that. I think that maybe the book was a little ahead of it's time.

Does anyone from the New York area, or do any former students know if Mr. Bernstein is still teaching?

#1505322 - 08/29/10 11:48 AM Re: "With Your Own Two Hands" by Seymour Bernstein [Re: Gerard12]
Overexposed Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Yes, the copyright is 1981. And there are examples in which the reader is instructed to hold an album (record) in one hand...then add a certain number of albums etc. Interesting how dated the example is...kind of like seeing a movie dated by having the characters use large bulky phones.

#1505438 - 08/29/10 04:09 PM Re: "With Your Own Two Hands" by Seymour Bernstein [Re: Overexposed]
Overexposed Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Gerard12,
You may want to get more info at www.seymourbernstein.com
It looks like he has a private studio in New York, and teaches as an adjunct Associate Professor at NYU.

#1505459 - 08/29/10 04:46 PM Re: "With Your Own Two Hands" by Seymour Bernstein [Re: Overexposed]
Gerard12 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: South Carolina
Thank you kindly, Ann

(doh! why didn't i think of that?)

#1505527 - 08/29/10 07:53 PM Re: "With Your Own Two Hands" by Seymour Bernstein [Re: Gerard12]
keystring Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Canada
I happened to find an extensive interview of Bernstein. Interview of Seymour Bernstein

#1505548 - 08/29/10 08:40 PM Re: "With Your Own Two Hands" by Seymour Bernstein [Re: Gerard12]
John v.d.Brook Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Loc: Olympia, Washington, USA
Originally Posted By: Gerard12
I remember when that book first came out - jeez, was it really about 30 years ago? - a couple of my teachers dismissed it as being too 'touchy - feely.'

And I thought less of them for that. I think that maybe the book was a little ahead of it's time.

Does anyone from the New York area, or do any former students know if Mr. Bernstein is still teaching?

I had a lesson with him a while back. I think he's like most piano teachers - we'll teach until they cart us off to the old folks home, and we'll continue their as long as they'll let us!

#1505569 - 08/29/10 09:01 PM Re: "With Your Own Two Hands" by Seymour Bernstein [Re: John v.d.Brook]
John v.d.Brook Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Loc: Olympia, Washington, USA
I wanted to make a general comment about tone production on the piano. This desire to build or create a beautiful tone dates all the way back to John Field! Chopin, of course, was way deep into tone from the instrument. Theodore Leschetizky, the Russian great, really influenced generations of pianists with tone production, and you'll note how many of the greats have Leschetizky in their lineage. And Schnabel, of course.

The pianist has two opportunities to affect the tone - on the initial stroke and the let off. Addressing the let off or let up, first, as it's not controversial, the pianist controls the coming down of the damper onto the string. This is direct. The damper is directly connected to the key, so a fast let up will result in a clipped sound, and a gentle or slow let up will achieve a more pleasing sound tail. The artist is sensitive to this and carefully controls the up motion of the fingers to get the effect he or she wants.

Concerning the down stroke. The piano is amazingly noisy. If you ever get a chance to "play" a grand after the strings have been removed, you'll learn just how noisy. Even though there is felt between the key bottom and the key bed, the key makes an amazingly loud thunk when it hits bottom. The key bed is glued to the piano frame and to the sound board, so acoustically, the sounds of the keys striking the key bed are just transmitted directly to the sound board and out into the air. Fortunately for us, the sound of the vibrating string is louder, so the untrained ear doesn't hear the thunk, but it's still there, and it muddies the overall sound. It's what gives the "banging" sound that so many people complain of.

What the great artists do to minimize this as much as possible is a combination finger stroke, both down but also with a horizontal component, so they can decelerate the vertical action before hitting the key bed with full force.

Their fingers work more like cams than hammers. This is the controversial part. Not everyone agrees with this. I am merely reporting what I've learned from a number of really advanced teachers and artists. You can take it or leave it, but they believe it works, and their playing certainly attests to it.

#1505825 - 08/30/10 08:06 AM Re: "With Your Own Two Hands" by Seymour Bernstein [Re: John v.d.Brook]
Overexposed Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: John v.d.Brook

The pianist has two opportunities to affect the tone - on the initial stroke and the let off. Addressing the let off or let up, first, as it's not controversial, the pianist controls the coming down of the damper onto the string. This is direct. The damper is directly connected to the key, so a fast let up will result in a clipped sound, and a gentle or slow let up will achieve a more pleasing sound tail. The artist is sensitive to this and carefully controls the up motion of the fingers to get the effect he or she wants.

Thanks John for this explanation especially of the let up of a key. I have a 2nd grader whose recital piece ends with a dotted half note. He ends abruptly and I've instructed him to hold the note for its full value.

But now I see it's more than that. Yes, he must be sure he holds the full value, but also not end with such a sudden let up. (The way he plays the last note, it gives the impression that he's greatly relieved to have finished the piece!)

Moderator:  Ken Knapp 
What's Hot!!

Happy Thanksgiving!
Happy Thanksgiving!
(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
(ad) Piano Music Sale - Dover Publications
Piano Music Sale
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Piano evening at my teachers house
by Peter071
Today at 10:04 AM
Freelance collaborative pianist - money issues
by MiguelSousa
Today at 10:02 AM
Help for this student.... Notes!
by IPlayPiano
Today at 09:44 AM
Free collection of intermediate to very advanced Xmas music
by pianoloverus
Today at 09:39 AM
Some observations about digital piano
by TonyB
Today at 09:36 AM
Forum Stats
77067 Members
42 Forums
159396 Topics
2341455 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission