Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#150708 - 09/25/05 03:35 AM Re: Schimmel help!
Gwyn Offline

Constance, what kind of piano did you have before the Shimmel? im asking because its my experience in my piano hunt, that ive became so used to the overtones in my Baldwin that i now (gladly) could not live with any thing other than another baldwin or perhaps a Steinway.

Yes the Estonia has great overtones in the bass, but i discovered after 3hrs of very careful listening that they only come alive when playing pretty loudly. its facinating but you have to "ask" the Estonia to give you the over tones by sort of laying into it. At least this was so on the one i played.

Im just writing this because if your similar in your taste, and had an america piano before, id recommend that you also listen very carefully to the European and Asian pianos available and be sure they really have the kind of resonance and overtone excitement that if sounds like your desiring.
10 years ago i had a Baldwin in my house i was considering, (believe it or not the dealership actually let me keep it all summer to make up my mind at no cost.) We drove all the way to Arizona to try a Shimmel during this time. i thankfully noticed right away the lack of ovetones in the bass and didnt buy it.
Im very hopeful for you that you will end up with the piano you really love.

(ads 568) Hailun Pianos

#150709 - 09/25/05 01:19 PM Re: Schimmel help!
jollyroger Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Houston, TX
Hello constance,
As I'm in the market for an acoustic, one valuable piece of informatin is to obtain 2 critical pieces of data regarding your dealer :
1. A Better Business Bureau report - free and available at www.bbb.org
2. A D&B (Dunn and Bradstreet) Report - different levels of reports at various prices at www.dnb.com.

Maybe you've already done this. But if not, it's advantageous to get these reports before you make your purchase. But even if you didn't obtain these beforehand, it would still be in your best interest to do so as it will provide you with the knowledge to best leverage your position in getting the dealer to provide you with an equitable solution.

Hope this helps.
Regards,
Roger

#150710 - 07/25/08 12:55 AM Re: Schimmel help!
musica71 Offline

Loc: Bend, Or.
I must ask you ..have you read the book "Grand Obsession" by Perri Knize? She had a similar problem and went after it with a vengence. I love the Schimmel but need to get a good technician to get back the gorgeous singing tone it had 3 years ago when new. Musica 71

#150711 - 07/25/08 01:08 AM Re: Schimmel help!
Maestro Ng Offline

Loc: Auckland, NZ
I had the same problem when i bought my Schimmel, same size as yours, the middle range was quite dull. However, I still think it is a fantastic piano.

Proud owner of a Schimmel K 189T and a Challen 130.

#150712 - 07/25/08 03:11 PM Re: Schimmel help!
Robert 45 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Auckland New Zealand
Dear Constance,
Congratulations on purchasing a very fine piano. Unless there is a defect with your piano, I am sure that you have a beautiful Schimmel that in time will give you enriching musical pleasure and enjoyment.
New pianos, I believe, need at least a year of regular playing before they start to sing. I encourage you to play your new piano as much as you can to open out the sound. As the hammers firm, the strings vibrate more freely and the soundboard responds with more energy. The voice and sustain of a new piano will improve and become less "tight".
There are numerous posts in this forum in which owners of new pianos tell of the improving sound of their new piano as the instrument is "played in".
A new piano is also volatile in the sense that there are changes as the strings and other components adapt as the instrument is played and as it settles into its new environment.
With a good climate environment,good maintenance, tuning and regular playing, most pianos will not disappoint us.

If you still find that you are unhappy with the sound of your piano, have it checked and assessed by a professional, experienced technician.

At the time of a major purchase such as a grand piano, we are often beset with "Have I done the right thing?" thoughts.
Buying a new, quality, European grand piano is, in my view, one of the best investments we can ever make.

Enjoy your new piano!
Kind regards,

Robert.

#150713 - 07/25/08 06:45 PM Re: Schimmel help!
Strings & Wood Offline

Gold member until Dec. 2012

Loc: USA
Hmmmmm... wonder if she kept the Schimmel???

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Ken Knapp, Piano World, Rickster 
What's Hot!!
Our latest Issue is available now...
Piano News - Interesting & Fun Piano Related Newsletter! (free)
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
139 registered (Abby Pianoman, 36251, a-z0-9, alans, ABC Vermonter, 42 invisible), 1449 Guests and 20 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75609 Members
42 Forums
156343 Topics
2296264 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Yamaha P-85 closer to a Grand Piano action than any Upright!
by Paul678
Today at 07:22 PM
Do someone have a Sciortino Insta-COILER
by Olek
Today at 06:55 PM
Buying used piano for school district - need advice/cautions
by ChoralScholar
Today at 05:34 PM
Help with a leg!
by igirl
Today at 04:53 PM
Have you had to fire your piano teacher? Why?
by alans
Today at 04:02 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission