2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
56 members (Aleks_MG, accordeur, brdwyguy, Carey, AlkansBookcase, 20/20 Vision, 36251, benkeys, 9 invisible), 2,042 guests, and 334 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 40 1 2 3 39 40
#1506889 08/31/10 10:24 PM
dewster Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
Thought I'd kick this off (like KPro81 has done over at Rolandclan wink ).

Links:
http://www.rolandconnect.com/product.php?p=rd-700nx
http://www.rolandus.com/products/productdetails.php?ProductId=1128

So:
- PHAIII, ivory feel, escapement (PHAIII smart, ivory dumb, escapement ?).
- SN APs built-in (smart).
- SRX expansion gone (~smart - they were dead anyway, though I like expansion).
- Some kind of simple recording (WAV?) capability (smart).
- "Sound Focus" takes the place of one of the multi-effects knobs (was this dumb / smart?).
- Same stupid joystick making it physically too long (dumb).
- Sexy new screen (smart, though I don't want to pay much for it).
- Probably same weight or heavier (dumb).

There are 3 SN grand-piano types with 30 variations - how does this compare to the RD-700GXF or any of the other 'F' Rolands?

The FP-7F looks very interesting as it has the same keys and no stupid joystick (though no SN EPs nor TW organs). Anyone know if the SN AP offerings in it are the same / different as the NX? It has vocal stuff I don't care about, but the rhythm stuff seems interesting. It could be a great piano to recommend to students as it also has built-in speakers, a music rest, and 3 pedal option.

M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Questions:

1) I wonder if the RD-700NX keyboard action will be more or less noisy (or the same) than the RD700GX?

2) I wonder if any of the RD700NX acoustic pianos will be better or worse (or the same) as the RD700GX?

3) I wonder if FINALLY you'll be able to MIDI record with all of the parameters properly rendered. (This one could cause me to pull the plug - assuming that the APs are at the very least equal).

4) I wonder if they have FINALLY fixed the problematic fake ivory coating? I actually think that it feels good. However, there seems to be some sort of quality control issue - with some, not all units utilizing this technology.

Comment:

I could care less about the new improved screen. It's a stage piano, for pity sake.

The record to audio is a nice addition.

Last edited by Melodialworks Music; 08/31/10 11:04 PM.
dewster Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
Anyone out there got an FP-7 who can comment on the internal speakers? Are they OK, good, bad, etc.?

dewster Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Melodialworks Music
1) I wonder if the RD-700NX keyboard action will be more or less noisy (or the same) than the RD700GX?

I personally don't care about this too much, but others seem to. I would think it would be comparable to the GX as the third sensor is just a sensor - the mechanics should largely be the same.

2) I wonder if any of the RD700NX acoustic pianos will be better or worse (or the same) as the RD700GX?

The $10,000 question.

3) I wonder if FINALLY you'll be able to MIDI record with all of the parameters properly rendered. (This one could cause me to pull the plug - assuming that the APs are at the very least equal.

The other $10,000 question.

I could care less about the new improved screen. It's a stage piano, for pity sake.

I'll admit I'm a sucker for a sexy screen. I just don't want to pay too much for it. $100 tops.

I agree, and quite critical for those who can't conveniently get their PC near their DP (after the layoff they took my laptop away - wah!).

S
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
S
I'm glad they have included the Ivory Touch, but yes, I would have a slightly uneasy feeling if I were to buy one.

I've been considering getting a Casio PX-330 for portability, however now I'm wondering whether I should just replace my existing MP9000 (sniff!) with an FP-7F. (don't need a full blown stage piano). The FP is not as light as the Casio, but it's definitely portable, and of course it has Roland's flagship action and AP sounds. Very nice.

Greg.

dewster Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by sullivang
The FP is not as light as the Casio, but it's definitely portable, and of course it has Roland's flagship action and AP sounds. Very nice.

I agree, the FP-7F is very a enticing offering from many angles. My main concern is how the SN AP patches compare to those in the GXF/NX.

M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
I'm glad they have included the Ivory Touch, but yes, I would have a slightly uneasy feeling if I were to buy one.

I actually think that it feels good. However, some, not all units utilizing this technology still seem to have problems, in-spite of claims that the problem only applied to early units.

From my personal experience, I own (or have owned) four Roland instruments using the Ivory Touch technology. Three have stood up with no issues at all, but one (my RD-700GX) has been sent back with premature keyboard wear issues, after only three months - really only two months of playing (see my signature).

So, yes, I too have a VERY uneasy feeling about this.

M
M
Originally Posted by dewster
looks very interesting as it has the same keys and no stupid joystick

it doesn't have the same keys, the FP-7F has

- Newly developed PHA III Ivory Feel-S Keyboard with Escapement

while the 700NX has

- Deluxe PHA III Ivory Feel Keyboard with Escapement

it makes me think the FP has a 'lower grade' keyboard (GH vs GHS) given the fact that the 700NX says 'deluxe'

R
R
Yes, first off, kudos to dewster for starting this thread over here. I'm going to give away the fact that I am KPro81 at the RolandClan Forums, so that we can really dig into this new RD700NX as objectively as possible wink

Like I was mentioning over at the RolandClan forums, I really believe that there should be no worries at all about the sound of the AP's from the FP-7F as to the NX. It's all the same and even more so, because the FP-7F now has the PHA3 action. Don't get confused with Roland's marketing hype to try and confuse us with which model has the top of the line action! Roland only has one PHA3 with Ivory feel action and it's the same as the V-Piano. wink Ultimately the FP-7F is kind of a "stripped" down version of the NX and I mean that VERY lightly. It simply doesn't have the SN EP's, but it has speakers and the nice 3 pedal unit, similar to the V-Piano. In a way it's a "stripped" down "upgrade".....what a paradox! grin

Last edited by Rhodie73; 08/31/10 11:43 PM.

Rhodes MkII Stage 73, Yamaha CP4, Yamaha Reface CP + DX
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Great thread guys, nice one. wink

The FP-7F is looking pretty impressive on paper - great update to what was already an excellent board.

Cheers,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
dewster Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by MarcoM
it doesn't have the same keys, the FP-7F has

- Newly developed PHA III Ivory Feel-S Keyboard with Escapement

while the 700NX has

- Deluxe PHA III Ivory Feel Keyboard with Escapement

it makes me think the FP has a 'lower grade' keyboard (GH vs GHS) given the fact that the 700NX says 'deluxe'

I stand corrected. The telltale '-S' does indeed seem ominous.

Have I expressed my profound hatred for market-speak (and/or modern management) lately?

S
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
S
I knew it was too good to be true. I wonder how many sensors the FP-7F has, then? Btw, I had noticed the "-S" suffix, but I assumed that it was also used on the 700-NX - I just assumed this was the new flagship action! Arrgh.

Greg.

Last edited by sullivang; 09/01/10 12:26 AM.
dewster Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
I knew it was too good to be true. I wonder how many sensors the FP-7F has, then?

Interesting. I always thought the 'III' meant three sensors. I see they talk about a wood-look on the sides of the white keys on the RD-700NX - I wonder if that is the main difference between the "deluxe" keys and the -S keys?

Roland, if you're out there somewhere and you care about your customers, could you please de-obfuscate this issue?

D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
Questions:

Same

Same as GXF

3) I wonder if FINALLY you'll be able to MIDI record with all of the parameters properly rendered. (This one could cause me to pull the plug - assuming that the APs are at the very least equal).

Who knows ..... the GX can't even though roland will try to tell you otherwise

4) I wonder if they have FINALLY fixed the problematic fake ivory coating? I actually think that it feels good. However, there seems to be some sort of quality control issue - with some, not all units utilizing this technology.

Doubtful ....

Comment:

And its unimpressive ....

Should have been there years ago

"I'm still an idiot and I'm still in love" - Blue Sofa - The Plugz 1981 (Tito Larriva)
Disclosure : I am professionally associated with Arturia but my sentiments are my own only.
S
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
S
Yes, I always assumed the III meant three sensors too, and let's hope that it still does. smile

If the differences are cosmetic, then it's no big deal.

Greg.

S
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
S
Here are the current descriptions of the key actions, from http://www.rolandconnect.com:

FP-7F:
"New PHA III Ivory Feel-S Keyboard
The FP-7F features Roland’s newly developed PHA III Ivory Feel-S Keyboard with Escapement. With the same progressive hammer action and escapement as the top-line PHA III, it offers unmatched expression and performance authenticity, capable of transforming the most subtle finger nuances into sound. It also provides incredibly fast key-repetition action. The surface of each white key replicates the unique appearance and comfortable feel of real ivory keys. The keys are constructed of a one-piece proprietary material that provides excellent moisture absorbency and a premium all white appearance around the tops and sides of the keys."

RD-700NX:
"PHA III Keyboard
The RD-700NX’s PHA III Keyboard with Escapement offers maximum comfort, playability, and response. PHA III improves key repetition and perfectly conveys dynamic, velocity-based tonal changes. The escapement mechanism recreates the authentic “click feel” of a grand-piano keyboard, which particularly enhances expression when playing pianissimo. The keyboard also features Roland’s acclaimed Ivory Feel, a comfortable and realistic moisture-absorbent material that prevents slipping from perspiration during performance. The authentic coloration of grand-piano keys can also been seen on the sides of the white keys."

Obfuscation indeed!

Greg.

dewster Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
The authentic coloration of grand-piano keys can also been seen on the sides of the white keys.

Is this all the -S really boils down to? No fake wood color on the sides of the white keys?

If so, who cares - If not, I do.

S
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
S
I'm frustrated at how different the general wording is in each description. If the only difference really IS the authentic coloration, then why word each so differently?

Greg.

These new Roland digital pianos are fantastic.

For me the actions will be slightly different, being the RD700NX's the best. Only our fingers will tell of course.

I'm looking forward to try the 700NX, it has the exact features I wanted to be in the 700GX, and if the action is the same as the V-Piano (and it seems it is) oh my god this could turn into a serious GAS problem...

I'm sorry for Nord (Piano). Maybe it could have the best sounds in the market but the action is not even near to Roland's action.

dewster Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
I'm frustrated at how different the general wording is in each description. If the only difference really IS the authentic coloration, then why word each so differently?

I'm thinking this is an example of mission accomplished! by the marketing department. Envision a banner on an aircraft carrier with W in the foreground.

Page 1 of 40 1 2 3 39 40

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,293
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission