2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
55 members (beeboss, Chris B, Cheeeeee, Carey, CharlesXX, Aleks_MG, accordeur, brdwyguy, 10 invisible), 1,978 guests, and 314 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 40 1 2 3 4 39 40
dewster Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Suryaman
I'm sorry for Nord (Piano). Maybe it could have the best sounds in the market...

Maybe if they upped their Flash capacity 10x - but otherwise, no. And the whole Fatar thing is just too risky for my blood, they need to find themselves a keyboard manufacturer with a better track record.

Originally Posted by dewster
the whole Fatar thing is just too risky for my blood, they need to find themselves a keyboard manufacturer with a better track record.

I think the problem for Nord (and other smaller players like Kurzweil) is, that manufacturer may not exist. Apart from Yamaha, Roland, Korg and Kawai, who else but Fatar is manufacturing actions for electronic keyboards in significant quantities?

And, presumably, the big four wish to keep their actions for their own instruments.

Live: Casio PX-5S | Hammond SK1
Studio: Yamaha CP4 | Hammond SK2 | Kurzweil PC361 | Moog Sub 37
O
O
Hopefully the RD700NX will meet all raised expectations one can sense in the air reading this thread. I do remember the fuss about the new CP line from Yamaha, and the disappointment following as people discovered they were not as revolutionary as expected.

IMO this will probably be the same: some minor upgrades, but not the ultimate stage piano with the best sound technology and action available, which is also carryable and affordable.

Because that is what we are all waiting for...

ps. Also wondering what the kawai update will bring us ;-)

For the pleasure of playing: Kemble Conservatoire
For practicing and gigging:Yamaha CP5

My (almost blank) youtube channel
S
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
S
RE: Kawai, I think I remember James saying that it would have the RM3 action, which, whilst undoubtedly very good, is not a triple-sensor action. IF this is true then that's a drawback, although I admit that the main reason I want a triple-sensor action is more for the warm & fuzzies than any real need. smile

Greg.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Greg, I don't believe I've ever mentioned any of specifications of the new MPs on this forum - at least not publicly. However, I don't think any would be too surprised to see the successor to the MP8II feature the latest wooden key action.

...although I admit that the main reason I want a triple-sensor action is more for the warm & fuzzies than any real need.

Hmm...I expect that warm feeling is probably just the result of hammering the same key as many times as you can. wink

Cheers,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
S
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
S
Sorry about that, James! I've just been Googling to see whether I could find your post, but I can't. I guess I must have been assuming that it would be the RM3, and then I somehow made the leap from that to thinking you had actually stated it. smile I'm really sorry.

Greg.

M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
On the Roland UK site it says availability is Nov. 2010. I don't know what it will be for this side of the pond, though.

box Offline
As a recent buyer of a 700GXF, the only words that come to mind at the moment are: bloody heck.

Last edited by box; 09/01/10 11:27 AM.
S
S
I'm sorry for Nord (Piano). Maybe it could have the best sounds in the market...

Maybe if they upped their Flash capacity 10x - but otherwise, no. And the whole Fatar thing is just too risky for my blood, they need to find themselves a keyboard manufacturer with a better track record.

Bingo.

S
S

I found an unlinked page that had a price and delivery date. Not sure if it is correct:

2599 on 11/15. Thanks, Andy.

box Offline
Originally Posted by Melodialworks Music

4) I wonder if they have FINALLY fixed the problematic fake ivory coating? I actually think that it feels good. However, there seems to be some sort of quality control issue - with some, not all units utilizing this technology.

If you are referring to the key wear thing, it should also be noted that Roland has stated the cause was most likely alcohol coming into contact with the keys. No alcohol -- it says that in the manual.

Design oversight, communication issue, or maybe a product needing a certain amount of awareness by the user...but I'm not sure I would call it a quality control problem.

So far my keys are doing fine.

T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by box
Originally Posted by Melodialworks Music

4) I wonder if they have FINALLY fixed the problematic fake ivory coating? I actually think that it feels good. However, there seems to be some sort of quality control issue - with some, not all units utilizing this technology.

If you are referring to the key wear thing, it should also be noted that Roland has stated the cause was most likely alcohol coming into contact with the keys. No alcohol -- it says that in the manual.

Design oversight, communication issue, or maybe a product needing a certain amount of awareness by the user...but I'm not sure I would call it a quality control problem.

So far my keys are doing fine.

And now this key covering is going into the stage pianos.
I can't imagine that a stage piano or a stage pianist might come into contact with alcohol.

For me their 512mb are enough, you can load a lot of beautiful and detailed ac pianos and el pianos.

The real problem is the action. Altough Fatar makes good actions the one chosen by Nord is not at the same level of Yamaha and Roland competitors. Nord should put the action of the Numa Nero into his Nord Piano to be on par with Roland and Yamaha but I guess the weight would increase a lot...

dewster Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by box
As a recent buyer of a 700GXF, the only words that come to mind at the moment are: bloody heck.

I can only imagine the trauma recent FP-7 buyers must be experiencing.

R
R

Absolutely!!! The NX is not that big of a deal if you have the GX/F, but the FP-7F is lightyears ahead of the FP-7!

Last edited by Rhodie73; 09/01/10 01:17 PM.

Rhodes MkII Stage 73, Yamaha CP4, Yamaha Reface CP + DX
B
B
This is exciting. I can't wait to try one, or to buy a used GX at a lower price wink

For me, I think the GX is already very good so I would just want to see

1) Reduced weight. I did not see any published weight yet which is interesting. They need to bring it down at least 10 lbs.

2) Much better EP's. I can't believe all the touting and highlighting they did of the SN EP's which don't sound that impressive to me. Interesting marketing strategy - Why highlight it's worst feature? From what I recall I believe the CP50 has much better EP's.

3) Lastly of course the AP's sound and the action. If it's roughly the same then it would be pretty good. But these 2 features should be noticeably better for it to be considered something new and better. If it turns out to be hard to tell the difference between the GX and NX pianos then to me it will be a failure. What's the point.

Also, I am one of those really worried about the Ivory issue. I wanted a GX for a while now but have been holding off because I hate to spend such big bucks and have such a noticeable and potentially unbearable issue.

In my opinion Roland shouldn't introduce 700GXF, it's not fair to the customers. 700GX with SN update is the same! And when they launched 700GXF, customers thought it will be top model for at least 2 years.
They weren't ready to launch this model at summer NAMM.

FP-7F is good move. Specially because they replaced loud action.

And for me the biggest step on this boards: 700NX, FP-7F and new Juno-Gi all have AUDIO RECORDING, which is big step ahead and should be standard in every board that has USB.

Roland FP-4
T
T
Hi guys... Great forum!

I had one of the first RD700GX's over here. Never had a problem with keys wearing off. In my experience this board is the ultimate in terms of ease of use. Absolutely loved the 4 sliders controlling 4 patches at the same time! But I had to let it go due to the fact that I never could get any descent sound on the different amps and pa systems I've used, plus all the EP factory settings pretty much sucked.
Don't get why they filled it with 20 different piano sounds where only 2 or 3 of them sounded good...
If this new NX version has a more 'userfriendly' output and overall better patches I want one smile

Roland RD800, EV ZXA-1.
dewster Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by kiedysktos.
In my opinion Roland shouldn't introduce 700GXF, it's not fair to the customers. 700GX with SN update is the same! And when they launched 700GXF, customers thought it will be top model for at least 2 years.

I think it's pretty terrific that they hacked the GX software to the point where a lowly SRX card could give it SN APs - they really didn't have to do that at all, a tremendous gift to everyone who already owned a GX. Afterward they phased out the base model and so had to call the new one something. It makes a fair amount of sense to me from that angle, though I'm sure I'd have a few sour grapes if I just bought a GX/F.

GX is getting kind of old now, I didn't think it would go another two years without an update of some sort. Very glad to see PHAIII in the NX, I wonder if that's pressure from Casio putting triple sensor in everything?

S
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
S
Very glad to see PHAIII in the NX, I wonder if that's pressure from Casio putting triple sensor in everything?

Yes, that is the obvious thought that I think many of us have. smile

Btw, when I tested forte repetition of the PHAIII, I still didn't think it was all that fantastic. Didn't test pianissimo. If it weren't for the fact that I simply don't have any problems doing forte repetition on a real piano (in the same playing/testing fashion), I would have started to doubt my own technique.

Greg.

Page 2 of 40 1 2 3 4 39 40

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,302
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission