2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
25 members (drumour, Hakki, crab89, EVC2017, clothearednincompo, APianistHasNoName, JohnCW, Kawai James, 8 invisible), 1,251 guests, and 286 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 60 of 75 1 2 58 59 60 61 62 74 75
Ha! Well thanks for the vote of confidence anyway. I'm trying to have Moonlight wrapped up and recorded for the upcoming recital, but it's going to be close. I'm leaving on vacation before the recital deadline, so I don't have much time left.

Undone

[Linked Image][Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
I love this! Haven't seen anything on "ticketmaster"yet:-)
Now, for me to get moving on this!!

[Linked Image]
Hey gang, Well I didn’t get Moonlight finished before going on vacation or for the recital, and the vacation did set me back a little once I returned, but at long last here is my recording of the first movement of Ludwig van Beethoven’s Op. 27 No. 2 Sonata Quasi Una Fantasia aka Moonlight Sonata:

Moonlight Sonata (First Movement)

And best of all the tickets are free. There are plenty of things in need of improvement in this recording; a goof here and there and some tempo issues among other things, but trying to get a good recording of a selection this long is challenging enough, so I’m giving myself a “pass” on this one and moving on to the other pieces I still have to complete in Book 3.

Undone

[Linked Image]
M
Mark... Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
M
Wow, I thought it was great. Added to the opening thread! I believe this means you graduated book 3.

Thanks Mark, but I'm not quite through with Book 3 yet. At the bottom of various pieces in the book it says "you are now ready to try ... in the Ambitious section". I've been trying to tackle these pieces when indicated. So I'm getting closer, but still have a ways to go before I'll be finished with all the selections in book 3.

Undone

[Linked Image]
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Hey, that sounded terrific, Undone!

mom3gram

[Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Mark...
Wow, I thought it was great. Added to the opening thread! I believe this means you graduated book 3.

I'd agree - excellent work thumb

But hey, if he wants to hang around there for a little while, 6mths I may be able to catch up (lol). Been way too busy having fun with other stuff but I do want to get back to finishing #3 after taking the better part of a 1yr off it..
- SC

"...I'm out there Jerry and I'm LOVING it!..."
[Linked Image]
My You Tube | My Box.net
Thanks mom3gram & TTigg, I’ve been working on this piece so long now that I’m just glad to be able to move on and not spend the majority of my time at the piano working on it. It’s going to take me a while to finish book 3 (you’ll probably still beat me TTigg smile ) especially with pieces like Toccata in D and Fur Elise still to do, but I do need to start thinking about what to do in my “life after Alfred’s”.

Undone

[Linked Image]
G
G
I love the Moonlight Sonata recording! Great work!

Yamaha CLP 320

"The maze was so small that you got lost looking for it." by Terry Pratchett.
OH MY GOSH! Awesome... Beautifully done!

You give me hope, Undone!

[Linked Image]
Thanks GustavoF & piano4, I think this is my favorite Book 3 piece so far. There’s a lot more that can be done to improve my performance, but that’s what makes this sort of piece fun to continue to work on.

Undone

[Linked Image]
Bravo, Bravo! I listened to your performance again. It is very clear and it is helping me! I'm still working on it. My hand is improving and i'm taking it easy AND I'm not giving up( smile)

Let me ask a question? On the second page,the second line, measure 4... my downfall was trying to reach that C and that's how I overstretched my hand,do you think that by sustaining the B and not playing the C, would be determintal to the sound?? I'm continuing to try to play as written but I'm also looking to see how I can get the correct sound?

Thanks!

[Linked Image]
Piano4 – I’m away from home at the moment but will try my best to remember to look at measure you speak of tonight when I get home (I now the area you’re talking about, but not well enough to comment without looking at it). Most importantly; don’t do anything to hurt yourself again!

On an aside; I learned a piece by the name of “A Bag of Rags” a while back and it had numerous hand stretches that were, well, “a stretch” for me. I found that I could only practice that piece for short periods of time in the beginning, otherwise my hand would start to feel a little sore. That piece took me many months to finish, but as time went by, I could work on it for longer and longer periods of time before I felt it in my hand.

Undone

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by piano4
Bravo, Bravo! I listened to your performance again. It is very clear and it is helping me! I'm still working on it. My hand is improving and i'm taking it easy AND I'm not giving up( smile)

Let me ask a question? On the second page,the second line, measure 4... my downfall was trying to reach that C and that's how I overstretched my hand,do you think that by sustaining the B and not playing the C, would be determintal to the sound?? I'm continuing to try to play as written but I'm also looking to see how I can get the correct sound?

Thanks!

Piano4 – Well I thought I knew the area you were talking about , but not that I have my music here in front of me I ‘m not so sure. In my book, there are only three measures per line on pages one and two. But if you mean measure number 18 (actually it would be the same thing in measure 16) and are referring to the first beat where the right hand plays both a B (eighth note) and C natural (dotted half), then I would say it no, it is more important to hit that C natural even if you don’t play the B since that is where the melody is. But I’m no instructor, and would just reiterate that the most important thing is to not hurt your hand again by over stretching it.

Undone

[Linked Image]
Just to get this thread back up from the depths – I’m currently trying to finish up “Dry Bones”. This is one of those pieces I wasn’t all that thrilled about playing but thought I should be able to knock it off quickly. It’s already taken me much longer than anticipated.

Undone

[Linked Image]
I'm new to this group, but looking forward to participating. Right now I'm working my way through Book #3 with my instructor. What comes after book #3?

YellowDog1040
500 Post Club Member
I can't believe I took almost 1yr off #3. I mean I started it but then was having way too much fun in exploring (mainly Einaudi) Will pick it up again towards the end of the year in a hope to get that notch on the belt completed. thumb

Yellow - what comes after? a lot of fun and enjoyment of playing pieces you love..Not sure if there are other books/details to follow that though..
- SC

"...I'm out there Jerry and I'm LOVING it!..."
[Linked Image]
My You Tube | My Box.net
Hi YellowDog and welcome to the group! The topic of “What comes after book 3” comes up from time to time here in the ABF. Here is a thread on the topic:
Life after Alfred’s book 3

and here is a post by one of our long time Alfred supporters JF who actually corresponded with Alfred Publishing Co. on this very topic:
What comes next

Tigg - Good to hear from you again.

Undone

[Linked Image]
P
P
Dear all,

It seems everyone here is enjoying Alfred's course book. I've been learning piano for two months now. My piano teacher assigned a few random pieces from Alfred's level 1 and 2 books to me when I first started, but we gave up on following any course books because we can't figure out which level I fit in. Yet personally, I still very much hope that I could have a main book that I follow through every single piece without feeling too boring or too overwhelmed. Right now, I'm studying Notebook for Anna Magdalena Bach, Clementi's Sonatina Op.36 No.1, and Schumann Album for the Young Op.68 (so I guess I'm pretty comfortable studying ABRSM Grade 3 pieces).

I'd like to join the Alfred classmates, but I don't know where I should start... I'm guessing skill-wise, I'm probably somewhere between level 2 and level 3. But I notice that some quite advanced players here started from level 1 and went through the pieces quickly regardless of their previoius experience. Is it any advantage to that? Would you recommend starting from level 1 or jumping into the middle of the course? If you recommend jumping in, where is the best place for me to start?

Thanks!

Originally Posted by pianoist d'amore
Dear all,

It seems everyone here is enjoying Alfred's course book. I've been learning piano for two months now. My piano teacher assigned a few random pieces from Alfred's level 1 and 2 books to me when I first started, but we gave up on following any course books because we can't figure out which level I fit in. Yet personally, I still very much hope that I could have a main book that I follow through every single piece without feeling too boring or too overwhelmed. Right now, I'm studying Notebook for Anna Magdalena Bach, Clementi's Sonatina Op.36 No.1, and Schumann Album for the Young Op.68 (so I guess I'm pretty comfortable studying ABRSM Grade 3 pieces).

I'd like to join the Alfred classmates, but I don't know where I should start... I'm guessing skill-wise, I'm probably somewhere between level 2 and level 3. But I notice that some quite advanced players here started from level 1 and went through the pieces quickly regardless of their previoius experience. Is it any advantage to that? Would you recommend starting from level 1 or jumping into the middle of the course? If you recommend jumping in, where is the best place for me to start?

Thanks!

WOW! That’s some pretty amazing progress for only two months of piano. I’m one of the one’s who had some lessons and played piano many, many years ago and then, upon “re-starting” my study of piano, went back to the very beginning and worked my way through the Alfred books page by page. I feel I have benefitted from this and wouldn’t feel bad about recommending it as one way to go unless the individual was working with a teacher, as you are.

In this case I’d recommend sticking with what your teacher suggests. As you do so, feel free to post to any of the Alfred book threads. If you’ve been working on a piece from book 2, you can post about it in the book 2 thread . Next you’re on a piece that seems similar in difficulty to the one’s in book 3, post here about it. Once you start doing so, you may find that one book or another is “hot” at the moment and that there is a lot of discussion going on there. In that case, you may want to keep posting to that thread. As long as it feels like the things being discussed relate to you and the things you are currently working on, feel free to post there.

Undone

[Linked Image]
Page 60 of 75 1 2 58 59 60 61 62 74 75

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,178
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission