Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 2 of 27 < 1 2 3 4 ... 26 27 >
Topic Options
#1507174 - 09/01/10 12:02 PM Re: THE RD-700NX Thread! [Re: Melodialworks Music]
box Offline

Loc: New England
Originally Posted By: Melodialworks Music

4) I wonder if they have FINALLY fixed the problematic fake ivory coating? I actually think that it feels good. However, there seems to be some sort of quality control issue - with some, not all units utilizing this technology.

If you are referring to the key wear thing, it should also be noted that Roland has stated the cause was most likely alcohol coming into contact with the keys. No alcohol -- it says that in the manual.

Design oversight, communication issue, or maybe a product needing a certain amount of awareness by the user...but I'm not sure I would call it a quality control problem.

So far my keys are doing fine.

(ads) Sweetwater / Roland
Kawai Superb Stage Piano and Controller

Click Here

#1507177 - 09/01/10 12:08 PM Re: THE RD-700NX Thread! [Re: box]
theJourney Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Banned
Originally Posted By: box
Originally Posted By: Melodialworks Music

4) I wonder if they have FINALLY fixed the problematic fake ivory coating? I actually think that it feels good. However, there seems to be some sort of quality control issue - with some, not all units utilizing this technology.

If you are referring to the key wear thing, it should also be noted that Roland has stated the cause was most likely alcohol coming into contact with the keys. No alcohol -- it says that in the manual.

Design oversight, communication issue, or maybe a product needing a certain amount of awareness by the user...but I'm not sure I would call it a quality control problem.

So far my keys are doing fine.

And now this key covering is going into the stage pianos.
I can't imagine that a stage piano or a stage pianist might come into contact with alcohol.

#1507201 - 09/01/10 12:51 PM Re: THE RD-700NX Thread! [Re: dewster]
Suryaman Offline

Loc: Italy&Orange County, CA
Originally Posted By: dewster
Originally Posted By: Suryaman
I'm sorry for Nord (Piano). Maybe it could have the best sounds in the market...

Maybe if they upped their Flash capacity 10x - but otherwise, no. And the whole Fatar thing is just too risky for my blood, they need to find themselves a keyboard manufacturer with a better track record.

For me their 512mb are enough, you can load a lot of beautiful and detailed ac pianos and el pianos.

The real problem is the action. Altough Fatar makes good actions the one chosen by Nord is not at the same level of Yamaha and Roland competitors. Nord should put the action of the Numa Nero into his Nord Piano to be on par with Roland and Yamaha but I guess the weight would increase a lot...

#1507207 - 09/01/10 01:03 PM Re: THE RD-700NX Thread! [Re: box]
dewster Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Northern NJ
As a recent buyer of a 700GXF, the only words that come to mind at the moment are: bloody heck.

I can only imagine the trauma recent FP-7 buyers must be experiencing.

#1507211 - 09/01/10 01:15 PM Re: THE RD-700NX Thread! [Re: dewster]
Rhodie73 Offline

Loc: New York

Absolutely!!! The NX is not that big of a deal if you have the GX/F, but the FP-7F is lightyears ahead of the FP-7!

Edited by Rhodie73 (09/01/10 01:17 PM)

#1507224 - 09/01/10 01:44 PM Re: THE RD-700NX Thread! [Re: dewster]
blueston Offline

Loc: MA, USA
This is exciting. I can't wait to try one, or to buy a used GX at a lower price wink

For me, I think the GX is already very good so I would just want to see

1) Reduced weight. I did not see any published weight yet which is interesting. They need to bring it down at least 10 lbs.

2) Much better EP's. I can't believe all the touting and highlighting they did of the SN EP's which don't sound that impressive to me. Interesting marketing strategy - Why highlight it's worst feature? From what I recall I believe the CP50 has much better EP's.

3) Lastly of course the AP's sound and the action. If it's roughly the same then it would be pretty good. But these 2 features should be noticeably better for it to be considered something new and better. If it turns out to be hard to tell the difference between the GX and NX pianos then to me it will be a failure. What's the point.

Also, I am one of those really worried about the Ivory issue. I wanted a GX for a while now but have been holding off because I hate to spend such big bucks and have such a noticeable and potentially unbearable issue.

#1507247 - 09/01/10 02:55 PM Re: THE RD-700NX Thread! [Re: dewster]
kiedysktos. Offline

Loc: Europe, Poland
In my opinion Roland shouldn't introduce 700GXF, it's not fair to the customers. 700GX with SN update is the same! And when they launched 700GXF, customers thought it will be top model for at least 2 years.
They weren't ready to launch this model at summer NAMM.

FP-7F is good move. Specially because they replaced loud action.

And for me the biggest step on this boards: 700NX, FP-7F and new Juno-Gi all have AUDIO RECORDING, which is big step ahead and should be standard in every board that has USB.

#1507332 - 09/01/10 05:45 PM Re: THE RD-700NX Thread! [Re: dewster]
thomsurf Offline

Loc: Copenhagen, Denmark
Hi guys... Great forum!

I had one of the first RD700GX's over here. Never had a problem with keys wearing off. In my experience this board is the ultimate in terms of ease of use. Absolutely loved the 4 sliders controlling 4 patches at the same time! But I had to let it go due to the fact that I never could get any descent sound on the different amps and pa systems I've used, plus all the EP factory settings pretty much sucked.
Don't get why they filled it with 20 different piano sounds where only 2 or 3 of them sounded good...
If this new NX version has a more 'userfriendly' output and overall better patches I want one smile

#1507400 - 09/01/10 08:10 PM Re: THE RD-700NX Thread! [Re: kiedysktos.]
dewster Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: kiedysktos.
In my opinion Roland shouldn't introduce 700GXF, it's not fair to the customers. 700GX with SN update is the same! And when they launched 700GXF, customers thought it will be top model for at least 2 years.

I think it's pretty terrific that they hacked the GX software to the point where a lowly SRX card could give it SN APs - they really didn't have to do that at all, a tremendous gift to everyone who already owned a GX. Afterward they phased out the base model and so had to call the new one something. It makes a fair amount of sense to me from that angle, though I'm sure I'd have a few sour grapes if I just bought a GX/F.

GX is getting kind of old now, I didn't think it would go another two years without an update of some sort. Very glad to see PHAIII in the NX, I wonder if that's pressure from Casio putting triple sensor in everything?

#1507404 - 09/01/10 08:23 PM Re: THE RD-700NX Thread! [Re: dewster]
sullivang Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Sydney, Australia
Very glad to see PHAIII in the NX, I wonder if that's pressure from Casio putting triple sensor in everything?

Yes, that is the obvious thought that I think many of us have. smile

Btw, when I tested forte repetition of the PHAIII, I still didn't think it was all that fantastic. Didn't test pianissimo. If it weren't for the fact that I simply don't have any problems doing forte repetition on a real piano (in the same playing/testing fashion), I would have started to doubt my own technique.

Greg.

#1507405 - 09/01/10 08:25 PM Re: THE RD-700NX Thread! [Re: thomsurf]
dewster Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: thomsurf
Hi guys... Great forum!

Welcome thomsurf!

I had one of the first RD700GX's over here. Never had a problem with keys wearing off. In my experience this board is the ultimate in terms of ease of use. Absolutely loved the 4 sliders controlling 4 patches at the same time!

I agree, in many ways the UI reminds me of the Kawai MP8.

I'm looking through the FP-7 manual and the UI seems fairly cryptic for certain functions. For example, velocity scaling is selected by holding down the "reverb" button and then pressing the "sound control" button. The GX in comparison has tons of options regarding velocity and they are in fairly straightforward seeming menus. I want the FP-7F internal speakers and form factor but I don't know if I can tolerate a lamer UI.

But I had to let it go due to the fact that I never could get any descent sound on the different amps and pa systems I've used, plus all the EP factory settings pretty much sucked.

A common complaint with the RD. Some have had some success by heavily tweaking the parameters, I assume you've gone this route?

#1507408 - 09/01/10 08:29 PM Re: THE RD-700NX Thread! [Re: sullivang]
dewster Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: sullivang
Btw, when I tested forte repetition of the PHAIII, I still didn't think it was all that fantastic.

Oh, I know I mention it too much, it's just one of my bugbears. If the third sensor is essentially free, I definitely want it. Like adequately large sample sets should be almost free at this point but for some reason aren't - I want those too.

#1507412 - 09/01/10 08:36 PM Re: THE RD-700NX Thread! [Re: dewster]
sullivang Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Dewster,
Yes, I want triple sensors too.

Changing the subject - in one of the Roland videos (I think), they mention that the "sound focus" is related to "phase optimisation". Do you understand what this means? Phase adjustments, if they are performed dynamically, MUST involve a temporary pitch shift, yes?
(I have no idea what components of the sound undergo this "phase optimisation" though)

Greg.

#1507415 - 09/01/10 08:44 PM Re: THE RD-700NX Thread! [Re: dewster]
sullivang Offline
2000 Post Club Member

(sorry - it's "phase-correction", and it's mentioned here in the text: http://www.rolandconnect.com/product.php?p=rd-700nx )

Greg.

#1507422 - 09/01/10 09:02 PM Re: THE RD-700NX Thread! [Re: sullivang]
dewster Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Changing the subject - in one of the Roland videos (I think), they mention that the "sound focus" is related to "phase optimisation". Do you understand what this means? Phase adjustments, if they are performed dynamically, MUST involve a temporary pitch shift, yes?
(I have no idea what components of the sound undergo this "phase optimisation" though)

From the video:
Players will also appreciate the new Sound Focus technology, allowing them to adjust the piano sound to cut through an ensemble performance without changing the essential tonal character or EQ of the piano.

From the text:
The innovative Sound Focus feature ensures that every note will be heard, even subtle pianissimo passages. Based on SuperNATURAL phase-correction technology, this essential feature ensures the RD-700NX won’t get lost in the mix, penetrating through walls of sound without compressing or coloring the tone. Players can relax and play naturally, achieving presence onstage without sacrificing dynamics and sound quality.

I have no freaking idea what they're talking about when they use the term "phase". They claim it isn't compression but it sounds like it to me in the video. It kind of smacks of the phase manipulation BS (IMO) promulgated by BBE to describe their special process of enhancing highs.

#1507531 - 09/02/10 03:41 AM Re: THE RD-700NX Thread! [Re: box]
Aidan Offline

Loc: UK
As a recent buyer of a 700GXF, the only words that come to mind at the moment are: bloody heck.

I don't see too much to grieve about here, to be honest. The action may be a slight upgrade but mostly I see this as probably cheaper overall for Roland to manufacture while charging more. You have a second MFX circuit and an expansion slot free. OK, the SRX boards are not spectacular but they are useful for substantially increasing the RD's sonic palette.

#1507533 - 09/02/10 03:50 AM Re: THE RD-700NX Thread! [Re: dewster]
7even Offline

Blargh. I think I'm gonna return my GXF (though it sounds great) and wait a bit for the NX. I'm planning on keeping the keyboard for at least the next 2 years, so I figure I'd rather get the latest board (action & all), especially since the price difference will be negligible if this is anywhere near accurate: http://www.andysmusiconline.com/products/roland-rd700nx.html

I hate not having a piano at home, but maybe using acoustics on a regular basis for a month or 2 would be helpful to my technique..

#1507544 - 09/02/10 04:27 AM Re: THE RD-700NX Thread! [Re: dewster]
sullivang Offline
2000 Post Club Member

It kind of smacks of the phase manipulation BS (IMO) promulgated by BBE to describe their special process of enhancing highs.

Thanks, and yes, some of the info on the BBE site does seem similar! The speaker correction that they talk about makes sense to me.

Side note: I once tore my hair out trying to figure out why some sounds sounded so different when played back from my soundcard. Turned out that my system was inverting the phase, and some low frequency tones sounded very different. Apparently some people are sensitive to absolute phase and others aren't. smile

Greg.

#1507674 - 09/02/10 10:13 AM Re: THE RD-700NX Thread! [Re: sullivang]
dewster Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Thanks, and yes, some of the info on the BBE site does seem similar! The speaker correction that they talk about makes sense to me.

It sort of makes sense, but I don't believe they are actually doing group delay. When BBE first hit the scene technical people tried to interpret their literature and came up empty. It really seemed like a snow job, with various terms being bandied about with only partial regard to their very specific meanings.

I own the BBE MAXIE Sonic Maximizer Model 402 (really old unit) - it seems to me their process is simply a level sensitive treble boost, which will of course boost highs without noticeably increasing hiss. The process knob just changes the compression threshold - the downside here is that hotter signals may produce more highs than you want, so I see it as more of a mastering tool, something to apply after the levels are well established. Not sexy enough in the light of day to sell like hotcakes, I suppose. People seem to have a need for a secret weapon in their audio arsenal with serious mystical gravitas, a slot BBE was only too happy to fill with a flimsy unit and boatload of empty jargon.

One final thing about the BBE: one of the channels in mine crapped out so I opened it up to see if I could fix it. Turns out they route the audio in there via a CD4000 series analog switch, which is kind of not the thing to do if you are super serious about fidelity. I pulled off the old part, installed a socket, and put in a new one (I believe it was one of the improved later families) and it started working like new. Currently my unit is performing spectacularly as a dust catcher, it only has consumer RCA I/O so it adds too much noise to any pro audio signal chain I've tried to put it in.

#1507767 - 09/02/10 12:33 PM Re: THE RD-700NX Thread! [Re: dewster]
McDonuts Offline

The NX blurb mentions "3 pianos with 30 variations." As I understand it, the GXF/SNKit has 4 fundamental sample sets that form the "base" pianos (but with fewer built-in variations):

Grand Piano 1 - the Expressive Grand sample set (RD700GX)
Grand Piano 2 - Superior (RD700SX)
Grand Piano 3 - Ultimate (Ultimate Pianos)
Grand Piano 4 - Grand RD (RD700?)

It will be interesting to find out a) if the NX is working from any brand-new sample sets and b) if not, which (if any) of the four above was dropped. The Grand RD, being the oldest, seems likely, but that would be unfortunate as it seems to be many users' favorite.

#1507794 - 09/02/10 01:12 PM Re: THE RD-700NX Thread! [Re: dewster]
blueston Offline

Loc: MA, USA
Very interesting info about the BBE Dewster. I had always wondered about their "special algorithm" and whether I should buy one. When they described it's like putting glasses on to see better, the Sonic Maximizer lets you hear everything much better, I always thought they were using something like dynamic narrow band filters around all the freq ranges that have the most content to remove nearby frequencies that had lower energy.

Edited by blueston (09/02/10 01:13 PM)

#1507829 - 09/02/10 01:56 PM Re: THE RD-700NX Thread! [Re: blueston]
dewster Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: blueston
... I always thought they were using something like dynamic narrow band filters around all the freq ranges that have the most content to remove nearby frequencies that had lower energy.

My unit is so old (in the technical sense) that I can't imagine them doing anything very sophisticated in there. IIRC they use a custom IC to keep prying reverse engineers from seeing what they really do at a glance.

And when a manufacturer mentions "phase alignment" as a way to perform some audible magic they are almost always intellectually out in the weeds.

#1507872 - 09/02/10 02:46 PM Re: THE RD-700NX Thread! [Re: McDonuts]
dewster Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: McDonuts
The NX blurb mentions "3 pianos with 30 variations."

The Roland site (http://www.rolandus.com/products/productdetails.php?ProductId=1128) lists the SN APs in the NX as Concert, Studio, and Brilliant, with 30 variations.

This Roland pamphlet (http://www.roland.co.uk/assets/media/pdf/k-rd700gx1.pdf) lists the RD-700GX SRX SN AP expansion voices as the folowing:

SN01 Grand Piano
SN02 Clear Grand
SN03 MellowGrand
SN04 BrightGrand
SN05 Grand Piano2
SN06 UprightPiano
SN07 RagtimeGrand
SN08 Comp Piano
SN09 Grand Piano3
SN10 Grand Piano4
SN11 BrightGrand2
SN12 MellowGrand2
SN13 Honky-Tonk
SN14 Comp Piano2
SN15 Grand Mono
SN16 Mellow Mono
SN17 Bright Mono

Not sure how many fundamentally different sample sets there are in there.

#1508010 - 09/02/10 07:59 PM Re: THE RD-700NX Thread! [Re: dewster]
7even Offline

For what it's worth, Sweetwater says the 700NX is shipping this month for $2599: http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/RD700NX
I put in a return for my GXF, hopefully the NX doesn't take too long to ship laugh

Edited by 7even (09/02/10 07:59 PM)

#1508015 - 09/02/10 08:08 PM Re: THE RD-700NX Thread! [Re: dewster]
Kawai James Online   content
9000 Post Club Member

Loc: Hamamatsu, Japan
7even, how difficult was it to return the GXF? I mean, did you not have to provide a reason or anything?

Cheers,
James
x

"Richard, none of us could forget you have a CLP-990." - EssBrace, 2014

#1508026 - 09/02/10 08:32 PM Re: THE RD-700NX Thread! [Re: dewster]
7even Offline

I was up front about wanting to upgrade to the NX, but in general I think that Sweetwater (who I'm working with) has a no questions asked policy. It isn't much of a hassle overall (other than having to pack it up and ship it) smile

#1508033 - 09/02/10 08:41 PM Re: THE RD-700NX Thread! [Re: dewster]
Kawai James Online   content
9000 Post Club Member

Loc: Hamamatsu, Japan
Nice one - sounds like they've got a great policy.
What's the limit on this kind of thing over there, by the way?
Is it usually within 30 days of purchase?

Cheers,
James
x

"Richard, none of us could forget you have a CLP-990." - EssBrace, 2014

#1508036 - 09/02/10 08:48 PM Re: THE RD-700NX Thread! [Re: Kawai James]
7even Offline

Originally Posted By: Kawai James
Nice one - sounds like they've got a great policy.
What's the limit on this kind of thing over there, by the way?
Is it usually within 30 days of purchase?

Cheers,
James
x

Yup, the return window is 30 days. It helps that I received the board just the other day :P

#1508037 - 09/02/10 08:49 PM Re: THE RD-700NX Thread! [Re: dewster]
dewster Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Congrats 7even! Please keep us posted on your impressions of how the two compare.

#1508050 - 09/02/10 09:31 PM Re: THE RD-700NX Thread! [Re: dewster]
7even Offline

Congrats 7even! Please keep us posted on your impressions of how the two compare.

Gladly smile I'll also provide a DPBSD file once I get it.

Page 2 of 27 < 1 2 3 4 ... 26 27 >

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
145 registered (ajames, accordeur, 50 invisible), 1556 Guests and 15 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76042 Members
42 Forums
157234 Topics
2309370 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Newbie - Equipment Help
by CuddlyDuddly
09/02/14 11:00 AM
Player Piano Bellows Question
by UnrightTooner
09/02/14 09:40 AM
do you memorize a piece when you learn to play it?
by Peter071
09/02/14 06:13 AM
Which classical (piano) music may I like?
by Stefo
09/02/14 05:50 AM
When to compose?
by noobpianist90
09/02/14 04:16 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission