2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
64 members (Animisha, aphexdisklavier, benkeys, 1200s, akse0435, AlkansBookcase, Alex Hutor, AndyOnThePiano2, amc252, 11 invisible), 1,855 guests, and 264 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by Dave Horne
Just to be accurate, the AvantGrand N2 and N3 are not digital per se but should rather be labeled hybrids as they use a real grand piano action.

Before the AvantGrand, Yamaha made the GranTouch 1 and 2 which also were hybrids. The GranTouch might also be available as a used piano.

Kawai also made a hybrid piano and perhaps someone here can mention the model number.

I am not sure that I would label the AvantGrand as a hybrid piano. To date that term has been reserved for the Acoustic Silent Pianos that contain both an acoustic piano and a digital piano inside being driven from the same keyboard. The AG has the same keyboard, but only drives a digital piano, there is no hybrid acoustic piano expressed in the phenotype.

Maybe we need new terms?
We could call the acoustic grand a thoroughbred.
We could call the acoustic piano a horse.
We could call the digital piano a donkey.
We could call the acoustic silent grand combination a genetically modified hybrid equine.
And we could call the AvantGrand digital piano a mule.
grin

B
B
I was considering buying an Avantgrand N3, but finally, considering it's very high price and the rapid obsolesence of an avantgrand VS an Acoustic piano, I think I will finally go for a small grand ACOUSTIC SIlence, and then, if I don't like the "it's silence sound' I can always link it through midi to an external sound module (Yam XF rack ? :-) ) or to my next stage piano to use its sound bank.

With this I am building my very own acoustic/electronic hybrid piano :-) without the constant fear of having an expensive Avantgrand N3 becoming obsolete with the launch a-of "version N4 or N3+", and with the pleasure of a "real" acoustic sound when played "non silently".

so now the question is : Yamaha silence (C2 or C3 silence) or KAWA anytime (RX2 ATX-f ) ? Any recommendation ? Which has the best "silent module" and without consequences on the acoustic keyboard action ?

V
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
V
I think the fear of obsolescence in technology is overrated. You don't make purchase decision on technology based on obsolescence or else you'll wait forever, and life is too short. You make purchase decision on technology items based on the innovations they can bring to you. So what if in a few years there are newer/better/cheaper items coming out? You will have already made good use of your previous purchase, and when the advance is far along enough to take advantage of the newer technology, you again take advantage of the technology leap and buy the newer product again. The only thing you may want to watch out for is to be the early adopter who pays for a premium to use the latest technology. But when that technology becomes common and widespread, you should jump in to reap the benefits.

If you decide to go with a small acoustic grand with the silent option because you like the intrinsic authenticity of the acoustic sound, I wouldn't bother stick my nose in and make any comment. But if you make your decision solely on the basis that you don't want to end up with an obsolete product, I can't help but stick my nose in to say that it does not make any sense to me. You're overrating obsolescence here because how can it be obsolete if you still get to enjoy all the advantages that technology enables you to enjoy for years to come, even if something better comes along a few years later?

I also wouldn't call any the AvantGrand technologies bleeding edge that you'd have to worry about paying a premium for to become an early adopter. All the technologies used by the AvantGrand are very mature and have had years in development already, from the acoustic action to the sampling to the sound system to the gray shutter sensors. It's a culmination and combination of all the best and most mature technologies available, at the best price point without the early adopter sticker shock.

I'm puzzled as to why you call the AvantGrand very high price ($14K or less street price for the N3) but you didn't bat an eye mentioning the Yamaha C2 or C3 silent grands when their SMP is around $33K to $43K, or the Kawai RX2, where their non-silent version is already at $30K SMP.

I don't buy the double standard argument that digital pianos go obsolete much faster than acoustic pianos. Just look at the sales figures between DPs vs APs and you can decide for yourself which one is suffering more from the obsolescence problem.

I know of this couple friends of my wife who had a baby but didn't want to buy any camcorder to record their baby' videos because they felt that the camcorder technology was moving too fast and they were afraid of the obsolescence. They're not poor by any means. So they just settled for taking pictures of their babies. I guess while millions of others get to cherish their baby videos, these people will get to cherish their bragging right that they're not stuck with an obsolete camcorder.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by B. Michels
so now the question is : Yamaha silence (C2 or C3 silence) or KAWA anytime (RX2 ATX-f ) ? Any recommendation ? Which has the best "silent module" and without consequences on the acoustic keyboard action ?

I would suggest that the presence of a silencing systems can impact the acoustic keyboard action - regardless of the manufacturer. I am less familiar with the Yamaha system, however I know that the AnytimeX system found in Kawai grand pianos utilises optical shutters mounted to the action's hammer shanks to detect key strokes. In addition, these instruments utilise the UPHI sound technology from the CA93/CA63/MP10, I therefore recommend also listening to the tonal character of these digital pianos to gain a greater understanding of how the RX-2 ATX-f using headphones or the built-in speakers.

I hope this helps.

Kind regards,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
B
B
- Has someone being able to also test the new Kawai MP10 ? Kawai used to have very good keyboard action, this board could be a "transportable" alternative when on the go..

Thanks

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,248
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission