Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#1509711 - 09/05/10 09:28 PM Re: Bach on a Steinway - Jeffrey Biegel - intro to upcoming CD [Re: Andromaque]
apple* Offline

Loc: Kansas
i knew that would come off oddly.

i was thinking the sterility is due to the harpsichord purists who play on pianos

i just passion and gusto and one sees it rarely in Bach on the piano..

(the organ is another story).

love and peace, Õun (apple in Estonian)

Ad 800 (Pearl River)
Pearl River World's Best Selling Piano
#1509712 - 09/05/10 09:32 PM Re: Bach on a Steinway - Jeffrey Biegel - intro to upcoming CD [Re: lilylady]
Andromaque Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York
I knew you did not mean quite like that.. I wanted nonetheless to tease you about it..

#1509715 - 09/05/10 09:51 PM Re: Bach on a Steinway - Jeffrey Biegel - intro to upcoming CD [Re: apple*]
stores Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Here, as opposed to there
Originally Posted By: apple*
wow o wow.

absolutely superb. I apologize for sounding sexist but i love hearing a man play Bach like a man, providing something beyond the sterile perfection of the music as written.

i enjoy sterility and finesse but am impressed with your manly rendering of this music that exhibits such gusto and life. your music springs from the piano.

I do imagine Bach as a passionate, lively and strong man... who played with great aplomb and flourish....a show off and entertainer as well as genius.

What other songs are you recording on this cd?

(off to see if i can still rip thru the D major prelude, which i too warm up with occasionally).

I loved the courante and the aria(?) close to the beginning - (what is that?)

Does he sing also? I must listen again as I must've missed something.

"And if we look at the works of J.S. Bach — a benevolent god to which all musicians should offer a prayer to defend themselves against mediocrity... -Debussy

"It's ok if you disagree with me. I can't force you to be right."

♪ ≠ $

#1509725 - 09/05/10 10:05 PM Re: Bach on a Steinway - Jeffrey Biegel - intro to upcoming CD [Re: lilylady]
apple* Offline

i don't know the name of the piece (Stores).. and i've played it at about time 1.19 - 20.

oh and by the way I have the Bischoff 7 toccatas.. those are great.

you guys are making me feel like a peasant.

#1509728 - 09/05/10 10:08 PM Re: Bach on a Steinway - Jeffrey Biegel - intro to upcoming CD [Re: lilylady]
stores Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Hahaha! You asked what other song are on the cd, so, of course I assumed he sings as well. =p

"And if we look at the works of J.S. Bach — a benevolent god to which all musicians should offer a prayer to defend themselves against mediocrity... -Debussy

♪ ≠ $

#1509743 - 09/05/10 10:34 PM Re: Bach on a Steinway - Jeffrey Biegel - intro to upcoming CD [Re: lilylady]
apple* Offline

omgosh.. i provided the ultimate faux pas with the remark.

heh

#1510133 - 09/06/10 02:10 PM Re: Bach on a Steinway - Jeffrey Biegel - intro to upcoming CD [Re: lilylady]
JBiegel Offline
500 Post Club Member

I don't sing--horrible voice--but that's why I make the piano sing for me. Don't forget, song came before the harpsichord. The Renaissance period was all about songs and dances.

#1510418 - 09/06/10 09:16 PM Re: Bach on a Steinway - Jeffrey Biegel - intro to upcoming CD [Re: lilylady]
JBiegel Offline
500 Post Club Member

http://www.listenmusicmag.com/in-the-studio/at-play-with-bach.php

Hope you enjoy this warm interview for Listen magazine!

#1510431 - 09/06/10 09:39 PM Re: Bach on a Steinway - Jeffrey Biegel - intro to upcoming CD [Re: lilylady]
eweiss Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Beautiful San Diego, CA
Just read. Well written and interesting. Congrats! smile

#1510433 - 09/06/10 09:41 PM Re: Bach on a Steinway - Jeffrey Biegel - intro to upcoming CD [Re: eweiss]
JBiegel Offline
500 Post Club Member

Thanks! Glad you enjoyed the Listen magazine article!

Edited by JBiegel (09/06/10 09:42 PM)

#1510675 - 09/07/10 08:50 AM Re: Bach on a Steinway - Jeffrey Biegel - intro to upcoming CD [Re: lilylady]
JBiegel Offline
500 Post Club Member

Juxtaposing this Bach cd release, on September 28, Naxos releases an all-Zwilich cd featuring works for piano and orchestra. In 1998, I created the first largest consortium of orchestras in the history of commissions. 27 orchestras commissioned the 'Millennium Fantasy' which blends traditional 20th century music with jazz inflections and a drum set on stage. Added to this, Ellen's beloved tribute to Charles M. Schulz--the 'Peanuts Gallery' in six short Peanuts character movements. The two piano work, 'Images' is quite special and performed by two amazing pianists who also teach at Florida State University. I hope you will enjoy this cd along with the Bach.

#1510722 - 09/07/10 10:29 AM Re: Bach on a Steinway - Jeffrey Biegel - intro to upcoming CD [Re: lilylady]
pilgrim Offline

Loc: nova scotia
How lucky to have study with Ms. Marcus!!!!

An enjoyable listen - just wanted to say that I have always been told that the Kalmus is great if you pick and choose among what he left, as much of it is still quite tasteful but some of it is outdated.
schumann (transc. liszt) - widmung
coulthard - image astrale

#1510857 - 09/07/10 02:55 PM Re: Bach on a Steinway - Jeffrey Biegel - intro to upcoming CD [Re: lilylady]
JBiegel Offline
500 Post Club Member

The Bischoff edition at least, teaches something about ornamentation as opposed to 'urtext' which has virtually nothing but notes. Students of Bach's music, as we all are forever, need some guidance, and I find the Hans Biscoff to be terrific.

#1512044 - 09/09/10 07:50 AM Re: Bach on a Steinway - Jeffrey Biegel - intro to upcoming CD [Re: lilylady]
JBiegel Offline
500 Post Club Member

Does anyone have students learning Bach works right now? Would you instruct them to study several of the embellishments? Write them out, play them, and then start to add a few in their score where they feel it might sound good?

#1512076 - 09/09/10 08:32 AM Re: Bach on a Steinway - Jeffrey Biegel - intro to upcoming CD [Re: lilylady]
Victor25 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: The Netherlands
Haha the Biegelmeister!

#1512357 - 09/09/10 05:33 PM Re: Bach on a Steinway - Jeffrey Biegel - intro to upcoming CD [Re: JBiegel]
stores Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: JBiegel
Does anyone have students learning Bach works right now? Would you instruct them to study several of the embellishments? Write them out, play them, and then start to add a few in their score where they feel it might sound good?

Every single student I have studies Bach and ornamentation is something they all work on within and without the score. I do encourage them to add ornaments, but not on an "if you feel it sounds good" basis.

♪ ≠ $

#1512500 - 09/09/10 08:10 PM Re: Bach on a Steinway - Jeffrey Biegel - intro to upcoming CD [Re: lilylady]
pilgrim Offline

Loc: nova scotia
There is an out of print book called "Bach's Ornaments" that I have always borrowed from my teacher - it was especially useful for me in deciding on ornamentation for the Courante from the 2nd Partita and I am sure would have been useful for many others!
schumann (transc. liszt) - widmung
coulthard - image astrale

#1512597 - 09/10/10 12:58 AM Re: Bach on a Steinway - Jeffrey Biegel - intro to upcoming CD [Re: stores]
Andromaque Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York
Originally Posted By: stores

Every single student I have studies Bach and ornamentation is something they all work on within and without the score. I do encourage them to add ornaments, but not on an "if you feel it sounds good" basis.

on what basis then?

#1512934 - 09/10/10 04:09 PM Re: Bach on a Steinway - Jeffrey Biegel - intro to upcoming CD [Re: lilylady]
antony Offline

Loc: Portland, OR
Hi Jeffrey,

Phenomenal playing. What you said about taking Bach out of context really struck me. I feel exactly this way about classical music. There is such an enormous amount of extraneous baggage associated with this music that it is so frustrating when you feel as we do. I wish everyone could just hear it, as you said. When I hear Bach, and all the other great composers we love to listen to and play, it is so alive and emotionally poignant, RIGHT NOW. This is the true timelessness of great art, the profound emotional resonances created within that span the generations.

"Old" music?! Ha! I didn't know that there were old middle C's and new middle C's.

#1513790 - 09/12/10 11:32 AM Re: Bach on a Steinway - Jeffrey Biegel - intro to upcoming CD [Re: lilylady]
JBiegel Offline
500 Post Club Member

Thanks, Antony! Then you must be a wonderful interpreter! To answer the other question, I suppose I first heard the extra ornamentation in my inner ear--tried to play it, change it, etc until I was happy with it--or discarded it. Right up to the recording sessions. Even now, I would do things differently. However, the more I did this, the easier it became to do. In 1997, I added short cadenzas to the last movement of Beethoven's Pathetique Sonata at the dominant seventh chords fermata--similar to his Third Piano Concerto where short cadenzas exist.

#1513863 - 09/12/10 03:28 PM Re: Bach on a Steinway - Jeffrey Biegel - intro to upcoming CD [Re: JBiegel]
Ferdinand Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: California
...In 1997, I added short cadenzas to the last movement of Beethoven's Pathetique Sonata at the dominant seventh chords fermata--similar to his Third Piano Concerto where short cadenzas exist.

Igor Kipnis did the same with Pathetique, in a fortepiano recital.

#1513963 - 09/12/10 07:47 PM Re: Bach on a Steinway - Jeffrey Biegel - intro to upcoming CD [Re: antony]
David Burton Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Coxsackie, New York
Originally Posted By: antony
Hi Jeffrey,

Phenomenal playing. What you said about taking Bach out of context really struck me. I feel exactly this way about classical music. There is such an enormous amount of extraneous baggage associated with this music that it is so frustrating when you feel as we do. I wish everyone could just hear it, as you said. When I hear Bach, and all the other great composers we love to listen to and play, it is so alive and emotionally poignant, RIGHT NOW. This is the true timelessness of great art, the profound emotional resonances created within that span the generations.

"Old" music?! Ha! I didn't know that there were old middle C's and new middle C's.

Man, I really like this!
Of course I feel just the same.

#1514157 - 09/13/10 06:51 AM Re: Bach on a Steinway - Jeffrey Biegel - intro to upcoming CD [Re: lilylady]
JBiegel Offline
500 Post Club Member

Two weeks countdown to release of the cd! Arkiv Music is getting excited as well. Say, has anyone of this forum heard about my Mozart Sonata cycle on E1? I do similar treatment with the sonatas. Volume 1 is out, and we are waiting for volume 2 (which I recorded already--may come out as digital first due to new focus at the company) My Vivaldi 'Four Seasons' on Naxos has similar Baroque improvisatory treatment.

#1514432 - 09/13/10 04:23 PM Re: Bach on a Steinway - Jeffrey Biegel - intro to upcoming CD [Re: lilylady]
David Burton Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Tell you what, Mr. Biegel, you're one fine pianist! Really enjoyed your Pathetique though I probably would have played the 2nd movement a little differently, but I'm glad to hear diversity in interpretation that still resounds as genuine. I'm not sure I find anything too wrong with it. I certainly liked your Bach, can't wait to hear your Mozart.

#1514449 - 09/13/10 04:56 PM Re: Bach on a Steinway - Jeffrey Biegel - intro to upcoming CD [Re: David Burton]
stores Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: David Burton
I'm not sure I find anything too wrong with it.

I must say, were I JBiegel, I'd probably be thinking, "umm yeah...thanks..."

♪ ≠ $

#1514617 - 09/13/10 10:41 PM Re: Bach on a Steinway - Jeffrey Biegel - intro to upcoming CD [Re: lilylady]
JBiegel Offline
500 Post Club Member

You'd be surprised. We're too close to our own playing--and I am happy when someone likes what I do. It's a stamp of approval, given that everyone comes to their comments with experience, taste and personal feeling. I appreciate that more than you know.

#1514666 - 09/14/10 12:00 AM Re: Bach on a Steinway - Jeffrey Biegel - intro to upcoming CD [Re: JBiegel]
Cinnamonbear Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Rockford, IL
Thanks, Antony! Then you must be a wonderful interpreter! To answer the other question, I suppose I first heard the extra ornamentation in my inner ear--tried to play it, change it, etc until I was happy with it--or discarded it. Right up to the recording sessions. Even now, I would do things differently. However, the more I did this, the easier it became to do. In 1997, I added short cadenzas to the last movement of Beethoven's Pathetique Sonata at the dominant seventh chords fermata--similar to his Third Piano Concerto where short cadenzas exist.

WHAT??? You improved Beethoven??? Ohmigosh... Someone please bring me the smelling salts! stores??? stores???? Help!!! I'm...fainting..!!!

Honestly, JBiegel, what a treat to listen to! Thank you so much for sharing! I agree with apple -- you play with such authority, verve and sprezzatura (I mean that in a GOOD way!)! Go, man, go!

--Andy

#1515070 - 09/14/10 04:00 PM Re: Bach on a Steinway - Jeffrey Biegel - intro to upcoming CD [Re: JBiegel]
David Burton Offline
1000 Post Club Member

You'd be surprised. We're too close to our own playing--and I am happy when someone likes what I do. It's a stamp of approval, given that everyone comes to their comments with experience, taste and personal feeling. I appreciate that more than you know.

You’re very welcome, and we should all be approving of the work of others more and hedge our criticisms recognizing the tremendous amount of work it takes to produce anything at all.

I’m also making another prediction; the concept of “playing with authority” which I may have coined though I don’t want the credit for it, may become a standard approach. There is a point that comes with all of us working on particular pieces where the notes are pretty much in hand and we begin to focus on the conception of the music itself, and THEN we can approach that concept with AUTHORITY; really playing every phrase as if we intended it to be played a certain way without hesitation or any feeling that someone who thinks they may know better may be standing behind us to criticize what they themselves probably couldn’t do. I trust enough of you can read through my lines to understand my meaning.

#1515200 - 09/14/10 06:28 PM Re: Bach on a Steinway - Jeffrey Biegel - intro to upcoming CD [Re: lilylady]
JBiegel Offline
500 Post Club Member

If we are in good mood and spirit, we can play with 'authority', but always in performance there is something left to chance and spontaneity.

#1515441 - 09/15/10 12:12 AM Re: Bach on a Steinway - Jeffrey Biegel - intro to upcoming CD [Re: David Burton]
Mattardo Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: David Burton

You’re very welcome, and we should all be approving of the work of others more and hedge our criticisms recognizing the tremendous amount of work it takes to produce anything at all.

I’m also making another prediction; the concept of “playing with authority” which I may have coined though I don’t want the credit for it, may become a standard approach. There is a point that comes with all of us working on particular pieces where the notes are pretty much in hand and we begin to focus on the conception of the music itself, and THEN we can approach that concept with AUTHORITY; really playing every phrase as if we intended it to be played a certain way without hesitation or any feeling that someone who thinks they may know better may be standing behind us to criticize what they themselves probably couldn’t do. I trust enough of you can read through my lines to understand my meaning.

Amen!

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Piece ID
by IstvnE
09/21/14 10:14 PM
Pre purchase inspection
by mellie62
09/21/14 10:00 PM
Do Parents want to hear the truth anymore?
by chasingrainbows
09/21/14 09:28 PM
DEBUSSY- 'The terrace for moonlit audiences'
by Hal Freedman
09/21/14 07:49 PM
Baldwin PS2500 ram battery
by mooh320ps
09/21/14 07:47 PM
Who's Online
84 registered (alfredo capurso, AZ_Astro, beet31425, AmateurBob, 22 invisible), 900 Guests and 10 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76281 Members
42 Forums
157681 Topics
2316075 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission