Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#1508857 - 09/04/10 08:02 AM Bach on a Steinway - Jeffrey Biegel - intro to upcoming CD
lilylady Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: boston north

Just up on you tube - A VIDEO clip of the upcoming CD.

Jeffrey shares his thoughts as well as clips, with a great technique closeup as frosting on the cake with 'Courante' from the French Suite #5 at the end.

The first recording for the new Steinway & Sons label - 'Bach on a Steinway', J.S. Bach played in a 17th century style, Jeffrey Biegel, pianist

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKq3pEHJnbM

best seen at 720 b HD and full view

http://www.arkivmusic.com/classical/a...

(ad) Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#1508858 - 09/04/10 08:07 AM Re: Bach on a Steinway - Jeffrey Biegel - intro to upcoming CD [Re: lilylady]
JBiegel Offline
500 Post Club Member

Thanks for posting this! I hope everyone will get the cd and enjoy it. It was certainly an exciting cd to record!

#1508870 - 09/04/10 08:22 AM Re: Bach on a Steinway - Jeffrey Biegel - intro to upcoming CD [Re: lilylady]
stores Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Here, as opposed to there
Nice work from what I just heard. Love the D major prelude...it's part of my technical warm-up every day. Was that a Kalmus edition of the Toccatas that I saw? Hahahaha.

"And if we look at the works of J.S. Bach — a benevolent god to which all musicians should offer a prayer to defend themselves against mediocrity... -Debussy

"It's ok if you disagree with me. I can't force you to be right."

♪ ≠ $

#1508904 - 09/04/10 11:00 AM Re: Bach on a Steinway - Jeffrey Biegel - intro to upcoming CD [Re: lilylady]
sophial Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: US
Jeffrey,
This is wonderful, especially your playing of the Courante! Thanks!!

Sophia

#1508912 - 09/04/10 11:26 AM Re: Bach on a Steinway - Jeffrey Biegel - intro to upcoming CD [Re: lilylady]
Theodore Slutz Offline

Loc: California
i dont like many painists versions of bach besides gould.... i gotta say i love it... love your playing.

i've always liked the rather strong and near percusive style to articulate the multiple lines of music and you do that well.

congrads.

“The aim and final end of all music should be none other than the glory of God and the refreshment of the soul.” J.S. Bach

"I just want to know, if we came from monkeys and apes, WHY DO WE STILL HAVE MONKEYS AND APES?" George Carlin

#1508913 - 09/04/10 11:31 AM Re: Bach on a Steinway - Jeffrey Biegel - intro to upcoming CD [Re: sophial]
wdot Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: South Carolina, USA
Originally Posted By: sophial
Jeffrey,
This is wonderful, especially your playing of the Courante! Thanks!!

Sophia
I agree. I love the additional ornamentation on the repeats. Very tasteful.

#1508916 - 09/04/10 11:40 AM Re: Bach on a Steinway - Jeffrey Biegel - intro to upcoming CD [Re: lilylady]
BruceD Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Victoria, BC
Beautifully done! I will look forward to the CD.

Thank you, lilylady, for posting the video!

Regards,

#1508959 - 09/04/10 01:30 PM Re: Bach on a Steinway - Jeffrey Biegel - intro to upcoming CD [Re: BruceD]
JBiegel Offline
500 Post Club Member

Yes, it is Kalmus. Adele Marcus preferred the Hans Bischoff editions on what was Belwin-Mills--then Kalmus.

#1509001 - 09/04/10 02:49 PM Re: Bach on a Steinway - Jeffrey Biegel - intro to upcoming CD [Re: lilylady]
Keith D Kerman Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Gaithersburg, MD (Washington D...
Terrific! I very much enjoyed your ornaments as well.
New Steingraeber, Estonia, Charles R. Walter, Brodmann, Feurich
www.pianocraft.net
http://www.youtube.com/user/pianocraftchannel/videos

keith@pianocraft.net 888-840-5460

#1509004 - 09/04/10 02:56 PM Re: Bach on a Steinway - Jeffrey Biegel - intro to upcoming CD [Re: lilylady]
JBiegel Offline
500 Post Club Member

I am so glad everyone likes this--pianists and piano teachers are the toughest critics! You guys are the best! The ornamentation was created very carefully, so as not to upset anyone or ruffle purist feathers. I think we accomplished what we set out to do.

#1509009 - 09/04/10 03:11 PM Re: Bach on a Steinway - Jeffrey Biegel - intro to upcoming CD [Re: lilylady]
JustAnotherPianist Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: United Kingdom
This is just how I like my Bach. I only wish more pianists in the world had the guts to pull it off. Well done, sir, and thank you.

The way your ornaments sound-fluid and lyrical in the midst of all of that ordered, articulate counterpoint, shows true mastery.

Bravo

#1509045 - 09/04/10 04:28 PM Re: Bach on a Steinway - Jeffrey Biegel - intro to upcoming CD [Re: JBiegel]
Keith D Kerman Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: JBiegel
The ornamentation was created very carefully, so as not to upset anyone or ruffle purist feathers.

Meh....in spite of a wrongminded motivation, I still really liked the ornaments. Probably not as much as if your intention was specifically to upset purists and leave them with terribly ruffled feathers. wink
www.pianocraft.net

#1509168 - 09/04/10 09:19 PM Re: Bach on a Steinway - Jeffrey Biegel - intro to upcoming CD [Re: JBiegel]
ChrisKeys Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Dallas, TX
Yes, it is Kalmus. Adele Marcus preferred the Hans Bischoff editions on what was Belwin-Mills--then Kalmus.

Yay, I'm in good company! All of my Bach is in Kalmus! smile

Well done, Jeffrey! I loved the performances. The variation in ornaments was nicely done, and well within the notion of baroque playing (in my opinion).

#1509185 - 09/04/10 09:44 PM Re: Bach on a Steinway - Jeffrey Biegel - intro to upcoming CD [Re: lilylady]
survivordan Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Ohio
Excellent playing!! Great job!! I can't wait to get the recording!!

BACH: Invention No. 13 in a min.
GRIEG: Notturno Op. 54 No. 4
VILLA-LOBOS: O Polichinelo

Next Up:

BACH: Keyboard Concerto in f minor

#1509246 - 09/04/10 11:24 PM Re: Bach on a Steinway - Jeffrey Biegel - intro to upcoming CD [Re: ChrisKeys]
stores Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: ChrisKeys

Yay, I'm in good company! All of my Bach is in Kalmus! smile

Well done, Jeffrey! I loved the performances. The variation in ornaments was nicely done, and well within the notion of baroque playing (in my opinion).

God, I can't believe ANYONE uses Kalmus for Bach.

"And if we look at the works of J.S. Bach — a benevolent god to which all musicians should offer a prayer to defend themselves against mediocrity... -Debussy

♪ ≠ $

#1509279 - 09/05/10 02:46 AM Re: Bach on a Steinway - Jeffrey Biegel - intro to upcoming CD [Re: lilylady]
keyboardklutz Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: London, UK (though if it's Aug...
Good tasteful job - we've come a long way since Gould!

#1509393 - 09/05/10 11:56 AM Re: Bach on a Steinway - Jeffrey Biegel - intro to upcoming CD [Re: keyboardklutz]
Keith D Kerman Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: keyboardklutz

I would bet large sums of money that Mr. Biegel loves Glenn Gould's Bach.
www.pianocraft.net

#1509431 - 09/05/10 01:04 PM Re: Bach on a Steinway - Jeffrey Biegel - intro to upcoming CD [Re: lilylady]
JBiegel Offline
500 Post Club Member

There are things that Mr. Gould did that were quite wonderful. But overall, I think he went in a direction that he truly believed the piano could imitate a harpsichord and the ornamentation was executed in the style of the harpsichord. The sonority of the piano was a bit too dry and brittle for my taste, and thus, lost the uniqueness of the piano's ability to produce Bach's vocal lines and warmth. But that's just my opinion. He was a genius in his use of Baroque practice, no matter the instrument.

#1509459 - 09/05/10 01:46 PM Re: Bach on a Steinway - Jeffrey Biegel - intro to upcoming CD [Re: lilylady]
Keith D Kerman Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Uh oh.....I think I lost my bet....good thing no one took me up on it! laugh
www.pianocraft.net

#1509468 - 09/05/10 01:59 PM Re: Bach on a Steinway - Jeffrey Biegel - intro to upcoming CD [Re: lilylady]
Catenaires Offline

This is absolutely great ! I can't wait to get the cd and have a listen. How was the recording process? I'd love to hear anything your willing to tell us about it.

#1509492 - 09/05/10 02:57 PM Re: Bach on a Steinway - Jeffrey Biegel - intro to upcoming CD [Re: Keith D Kerman]
stores Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Keith D Kerman

I'd have taken your bet had I seen what you'd said. It's obvious from Mr. Biegel's playing that he is in no way affected by the Gould syndrome (thank God).

♪ ≠ $

#1509500 - 09/05/10 03:15 PM Re: Bach on a Steinway - Jeffrey Biegel - intro to upcoming CD [Re: lilylady]
JBiegel Offline
500 Post Club Member

Recording was great fun. Some run throughs and hardly a fix here and there. I wanted complete takes so I can say, 'I can play it like that without stops and starts'.

#1509519 - 09/05/10 03:49 PM Re: Bach on a Steinway - Jeffrey Biegel - intro to upcoming CD [Re: keyboardklutz]
Orange Soda King Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Louisville, Kentucky, United S...
Originally Posted By: keyboardklutz

I agree! He's not my reference for Bach, that's for sure. But I do not want to label him as a bad pianist at all. Very gifted man.

On topic, amazing video! Your CD will be fantastic for sure!

1:39 AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH I LOVE THAT PIECE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! laugh laugh laugh

Edited by Orange Soda King (09/05/10 03:51 PM)

#1509521 - 09/05/10 03:52 PM Re: Bach on a Steinway - Jeffrey Biegel - intro to upcoming CD [Re: stores]
Keith D Kerman Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: stores
Originally Posted By: Keith D Kerman

I'd have taken your bet had I seen what you'd said. It's obvious from Mr. Biegel's playing that he is in no way affected by the Gould syndrome (thank God).

I am not sure what you mean by "the Gould syndrome", although I am assuming you are referring to pianists whose Bach sounds like an imitation of Gould's style and approach.
If that is what you mean, I would agree with you that what I heard of Biegel's Bach is his own and not an imitation of Gould or anyone else.
And I apologize to Mr. Biegel for answering the other person's comment on Gould and distracting focus from his wonderful playing.
www.pianocraft.net

#1509567 - 09/05/10 05:24 PM Re: Bach on a Steinway - Jeffrey Biegel - intro to upcoming CD [Re: lilylady]
JBiegel Offline
500 Post Club Member

Myra Hess was a wonderful Bach player, as was Edwin Fischer. But the main things I learned from Adele Marcus were rhythm, vocal lines, terraced dynamics, voicing as in a chamber orchestra, touch and phrasing. And, making the ornaments as part of the melodic material--slow ornaments in slow pieces, faster in fast pieces. One should be able to sing any phrase at any given time.

#1509612 - 09/05/10 06:25 PM Re: Bach on a Steinway - Jeffrey Biegel - intro to upcoming CD [Re: JBiegel]
stores Offline
6000 Post Club Member

voicing as in a chamber orchestra... making the ornaments as part of the melodic material... One should be able to sing any phrase at any given time.

All excellent points with Bach.

♪ ≠ $

#1509682 - 09/05/10 08:23 PM Re: Bach on a Steinway - Jeffrey Biegel - intro to upcoming CD [Re: lilylady]
JBiegel Offline
500 Post Club Member

If I may ask, please add your comments at You Tube for the Bach video. It would be so helpful and appreciated! Thanks so very much!

#1509685 - 09/05/10 08:35 PM Re: Bach on a Steinway - Jeffrey Biegel - intro to upcoming CD [Re: lilylady]
Theodore Slutz Offline

Loc: California
I'm jealous i cant make a living playing music... count your lucky stars my friend, you earned it.

“The aim and final end of all music should be none other than the glory of God and the refreshment of the soul.” J.S. Bach

"I just want to know, if we came from monkeys and apes, WHY DO WE STILL HAVE MONKEYS AND APES?" George Carlin

#1509693 - 09/05/10 08:54 PM Re: Bach on a Steinway - Jeffrey Biegel - intro to upcoming CD [Re: lilylady]
apple* Offline

Loc: Kansas
wow o wow.

absolutely superb. I apologize for sounding sexist but i love hearing a man play Bach like a man, providing something beyond the sterile perfection of the music as written.

i enjoy sterility and finesse but am impressed with your manly rendering of this music that exhibits such gusto and life. your music springs from the piano.

I do imagine Bach as a passionate, lively and strong man... who played with great aplomb and flourish....a show off and entertainer as well as genius.

What other songs are you recording on this cd?

(off to see if i can still rip thru the D major prelude, which i too warm up with occasionally).

I loved the courante and the aria(?) close to the beginning - (what is that?)

love and peace, Õun (apple in Estonian)

#1509709 - 09/05/10 09:17 PM Re: Bach on a Steinway - Jeffrey Biegel - intro to upcoming CD [Re: lilylady]
Andromaque Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York
My goodness, apple. Sterility, finesse and a feminine condition are hardly equivalent. You can have your Bach "rare" or even tartare without impugning women performers. smile

Good luck with your CD Jeff. Good previews so far!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
Our latest Issue is available now...
Piano News - Interesting & Fun Piano Related Newsletter! (free)
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
103 registered (anotherscott, AndresD, 36251, Al LaPorte, aesop, 29 invisible), 1441 Guests and 19 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75581 Members
42 Forums
156278 Topics
2295109 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Help with dynamics
by noobpianist90
07/30/14 03:53 AM
Using Kawai MP6 faders/knobs with virtual instruments?
by chicolom
07/30/14 02:35 AM
Coming up with new compositional methods.
by gsmonks
07/30/14 01:58 AM
Impromptu in A
by Ritzycat
07/30/14 12:42 AM
what do you think piano teachers about it?
by Maximillyan
07/30/14 12:15 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission