2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
59 members (Aleks_MG, accordeur, brdwyguy, Carey, AlkansBookcase, 20/20 Vision, Charles Cohen, 36251, benkeys, 5 invisible), 1,912 guests, and 305 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#1509042 09/04/10 04:25 PM
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Hello everyone,

As many of you know, I had a hernia and went in to have it fixed. I wanted to report back and tell you how it went.

I came home last night. So far, so good! I probably posted this before but, this explains the procedure and is where it is taught. It is also the hospital where my doctor learned how to do it. http://www.shouldice.com/

http://www.herniasurgeries.com/ The guy on the right was my doctor. This is where he works. He does all procedures himself, has repaired over 15,000 of the traditional ways that "our" doctors here do it and has done well over 10,000 Shouldice repairs himself. He is apparently, pretty well known as he teaches and travels around the world explaining it.

I had the surgery on Thursday. I left the hospital at around noon. I walked on Thursday which is a part of their requirement for healing. Exercise… lots of it. The more, the better.

On day one, the day of surgery, they wanted me to walk 80-120 minutes. Well, I made 105. On day 2, they wanted 3-4 HOURS of walking. No way could I make that. Not with driving home 5.5 hours, stopping to walk, hurting, eating etc., but, I did manage to still make 105 minutes.

He said my hernia was much larger than he expected and so he also inserted a Gore-Tex Mesh. Of course, I am a bit swollen needless to say.... But, let me tell you this. I had a hernia repaired 16 years ago. Let's compare these two fixes on a scale of 1- 100 with 100 being the worst as far as pain goes and with 100 being the worst as far as recovery goes.

My 1st hernia was a 100 all the way, hands down for both categories. I could barely get out of a wheel chair at the hospital and into my car all drugged up on Morphine let alone walk into my own home.

During surgery number 1, when I was at home, I had all I could do to manage to stand up out of the chair and then it took a while to get to the bathroom. It took me 2 weeks to become mobile enough to start working again.

This one, the Shouldice method by comparison I would easily rate a 25. Maybe even less. I'm not sure when I can go back to work yet, he said, within 2 days but, I'm still pretty sore especially with certain things being swollen!!! But, I feel great! I am able to get up easily out of a chair, I can walk, move around, pick things up off from the floor etc.

I'm telling you man, if anyone listens to the one thing I recommend, it would be this. Go to the place in Ohio to have it done!!! Or some place where they do the Shouldice method. I SO HIGHLY RECOMMEND IT!!!

Guess what? On the way back from the hospital, we had an accident. The car in front of us, a van hit something in the road that looked to me like it was about the size of about 4'x3'x maybe, I don't know, 2" thick? It flew up, slammed into the front bumper of our SUV punching a huge hole in it, dislodging the bumper itself, cracking it, knocking off the lower part of the bumper. It smashed the grill which is totally gone. It smashed the lights in front, knocked debris up and over our vehicle scratching things on the way over. Then, it bounced around underneath until it got behind the SUV. Some idiot was driving a motor cycle without a helmet. It JUST missed him. He swerved around it to avoid it. Had this thing, whatever it was, gone up and through our windshield, I have no doubt from looking at the damage that it did to our vehicle that one if not all 3 of us might have been decapitated. Yet, after all of this, our Trail Blazer is totally drivable. It wasn't leaking anything at all that we could see.

My son was driving us back to the hotel from the hospital at the time. He did a marvelous job of not panicking and avoiding further damage.

The rest of the way home, my biggest fear was of someone in front of us doing something stupid that might force my son, our driver, to lock up his brakes. The seat belt was of course, around the area of where they did the operation. That would NOT have felt good at all.

So, anyway, just thought I'd let you know the outcome and say that I highly recommend this method over the other by a long shot from my experience of it...

Jer

Last edited by Jerry Groot RPT; 09/04/10 04:36 PM.

Jerry Groot RPT
Piano Technicians Guild
Grand Rapids, Michigan
www.grootpiano.com

We love to play BF2.
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
I'm so glad you're doing well, Jerry.

It's true, surgical procedures have come a long way since olden times, fifteen years ago. It's still no picnic to have to go through them, but not so long ago the cure wasn't available at all.

Pretty ambitious walking program, for Day One and Two. But, prolonged inactivity impedes healing, and actually makes it worse.

My best wishes for your healing and recovery.

Clef

6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Thank you Jeff!

It is a very ambitious walking program for sure. Today I managed 100 minutes so far... thumb

Jerry Groot RPT
Piano Technicians Guild
Grand Rapids, Michigan
www.grootpiano.com

We love to play BF2.
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Glad to hear your feeling better and that all went well Jer. Then to have a road incident to top it off...omg. I need the same thing done and have been avoiding it, I should go in, it's only going to get worse...right? Anyway, glad to hear your doing well and keep trucking dude...lol

Les Koltvedt
Servicing the Greater Atlanta area
www.LKPianos.com
PTG Associate
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Thanks Les,

Yes, they do not repair themselves. And yes, they do get worse. He told me after my visit that I should not have been lifting pianos with this one at all!

What you want to avoid, is a strangulated hernia which means a certain visit to the ER, they can be very painful and can be life threatening. Please consider contacting the doctor that I visited. I am feeling fantastic with this method. It is not nearly as bad as it seems!

Jerry Groot RPT
Piano Technicians Guild
Grand Rapids, Michigan
www.grootpiano.com

We love to play BF2.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Wow, I didn't know you were scheduled for the surgery so soon.
I'm glad that you went with the Shouldice method because when I underwent the same method many years ago it was a piece of cake but I had heard so many horror stories from others that had undergone the alternative methods.
Glad to hear that it worked out for you and it's a shame that you couldn't have come to Toronto to go to the actual Shouldice clinic here where it was developed.
I would have paid you a visit (unfortunately I don't remember if there was a piano there or not).
thumb

6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Thanks Sparky! I would have loved to go up to Toronto again. I have been there a couple of 3 times now and loved every minute of being in Canada. It is a beautiful country with very nice people. I would have loved the visit too! If you ever get to Grand Rapids, give me a holler!

Jerry Groot RPT
Piano Technicians Guild
Grand Rapids, Michigan
www.grootpiano.com

We love to play BF2.
B
Bob Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
B
Good to have you back, Jerry. If we didn't lift those darn pianos, we wouldn't have hernia's. The doc told me years ago, I'd probably get one on the other side. I'm still waiting, but I don't lift too many pianos anymore.

Last edited by Bob; 09/04/10 09:02 PM.
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Thanks Bob! Glad to be back too!

Jerry Groot RPT
Piano Technicians Guild
Grand Rapids, Michigan
www.grootpiano.com

We love to play BF2.
D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
Jerry,

Glad to hear the method the doctor chose for your operation worked out well for you. Being laid up for a long period of time is not a good thing when you're a sole proprietor...

Exercise is crucial. As we get older (which we all do, like it or not...), retaining fitness is key to staying healthy, particularly in recovering from injury and sickness. I hope you continue to follow the walking program prescribed by your doc. And take your wife with you, too!

Hang in there, Mr. Groot. Good to have you back!

Promote Harmony in the Universe...Tune your piano!

Dave Stahl, RPT
Piano Technician's Guild
San Jose, CA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JAniw3m7L2I
http://dstahlpiano.net
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Hey, Jer! Wow, what a story! Life is never dull for you, is it? Glad you are back in action so quick!

--Andy

I may not be fast,
but at least I'm slow.
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Thanks Andy and Dave,

Fortunately for us, my wife and I took up a routine a few months back of walking/running for about 40 minutes a day or every other day. So, walking for 120 minutes like I did yesterday was easy. I did it 30 minutes at a time. 40 minutes once, and 20 once. Walking through the "ouch" part of it isn't so easy sometimes but, it is manageable. Once in a while, I have to bend over to relieve the pain a bit for a few seconds and then I continue on. Funny how the continued walking usually seems to make things feel better after a while for the most part. I don't understand how that works.

I think without having starting the routine that we started prior to my surgery, the required walking would not be as easy as it is so, I am really glad that we started it when we did!

I slept like a baby last night though!

Jerry Groot RPT
Piano Technicians Guild
Grand Rapids, Michigan
www.grootpiano.com

We love to play BF2.
Z
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Z
Hey Jerry,
Congratulations, I wish you a continued good recovery. I had hernia surgery last summer, followed by many months of pain that really cut my activity down to the bare minimum. (Look up "adhesions") I was told that I would probably have the same problem with the other side at some point (hopefully never) and I'll keep your experience in mind.

Regards,

Zeno Wood, Piano Technician
Brooklyn College
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Thanks Zeno,

A friend of mine up in Canada recommended the one in Toronto. The doctor that worked on me happened to be born in Canada, I want to say born in Toronto but, I can't be positive about the city. Anyway, he learned the procedure in Toronto, moved to Ohio, opened up the clinic there and has since worked here. Fortunately for me, it's much closer and so far, has worked out great! Read up on it before you do it again. I did after the friend recommended it which is why I chose this procedure.

Jer

Jerry Groot RPT
Piano Technicians Guild
Grand Rapids, Michigan
www.grootpiano.com

We love to play BF2.
If I ever have to have another hernia repaired I will be all over this type surgery.

About 6 years ago I had to have a hernia repaired about the size of a baseball. The doc put in the mesh.

It was a tough ordeal to get over. Sounds like they've made lots of progress, hope this technology works it's way down to Texas before I go through that again.

Tuning and repairing pianos since 1981 in Ranger, Tx. http://www.facebook.com/pages/Roys-Piano-Service/173273022711505
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Progress report for anyone considering the Shouldice Hernia Repair:

Sunday, day 3 after surgery. I am feeling great. I am tender still and have to be careful but, I walked 2 hours yesterday and so far, 1 hour today. In comparing how I felt Thursday to today again, using the same scale of 1-100 with 100 being the worst pain, on Thursday, I was a 25. Today, I would rate myself about 25 % of how I felt on Thursday. I am planning on going back to work on Tuesday but, I may take the day off for extra healing although the doctor said I would be okay to resume full activities after day 2. I find that hard to believe totally because I am still tender, swollen and sore but yet, comparing it to how they did it 16 years ago, this is NOTHING. I almost feel like I could run but, I don't dare.

To repair me, I can see that they went in on an angle trying to avoid cutting the muscles as much as possible. This is where we get all of our pain. The larger the cut and the more muscles that are cut, the greater the pain. Especially when we attempt to use these muscles and cannot because they have been cut all the way through.

Using the Shouldice method, they try and avoid cutting muscles as much as possible and also stitch me from the INSIDE OUT, helping the healing process from what I understand.

I don't know if my muscles were cut at all or not, I feel that maybe some might have been, and if they were, it was very minimal and not very invasive.

I hope my reporting helps any of you that have or have had hernia's and are considering future repairs....

Jerry Groot RPT
Piano Technicians Guild
Grand Rapids, Michigan
www.grootpiano.com

We love to play BF2.
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Jer, your makin my you know what, do you know what just thinkin about it...

Les Koltvedt
Servicing the Greater Atlanta area
www.LKPianos.com
PTG Associate
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Jerry, 20 years ago I had 3 doctors tell me to have a double inguinal hernia operation. I elected to go to the Shouldice clinic because it was up the street from where I lived at the time. Their 2 top doctors both said that if they had what I had, they would not get it done and just wait to see if it gets worse. I followed their advice and am still OK but careful what and how I lift things. Not only are those doctors good at surgery, they are the best in the business when it comes to diagnosis. Glad to hear it went good for you.

BTW, an any given day, over half the cars parked in their parking lot are from the U.S. and people fly in from as far as Europe and Japan to use their services.

Last edited by Emmery; 09/05/10 04:52 PM.

Piano Technician
George Brown College /85
Niagara Region
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Gives me the heebee geebees too Les and I'm done with it!

Thanks for that additional information Emmery. That's what I've been told too, that many people from around the world including from the USA come to Canada to have it done. We are lucky that my doctor came from up there, trained there and then came here to do the surgeries. I can't believe that more USA surgeons are not using this method.

Jerry Groot RPT
Piano Technicians Guild
Grand Rapids, Michigan
www.grootpiano.com

We love to play BF2.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Good to hear the recovery is going well! I know it's hard, but try to be good anyway.

Don Mannino RPT, MPA
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,293
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission