2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
43 members (AlkansBookcase, Bruce Sato, APianistHasNoName, BillS728, bcalvanese, anotherscott, Carey, danno858, 9 invisible), 1,245 guests, and 297 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 40 1 2 3 4 5 6 39 40
dewster Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by 7even
... I'll also provide a DPBSD file once I get it.

Sounds like a plan!

Last edited by dewster; 09/02/10 11:38 PM.
R
R
Has there been any word on the RPU-3 pedal unit that is compatible for both RD series and new FP-7F? I'm curious as to when that might be shipping. I suppose I'll be holding on to my RD700GX/F even if, say a company like Kawai comes out with something soon and "influences" me to pick up something wink

Rhodes MkII Stage 73, Yamaha CP4, Yamaha Reface CP + DX
B
B
Hi Guys,

This is my first post. I'm on the look out for a good DP for my 13yr old daughter who's aready done few exams in keyboards and maxed them. She's moving to Pianos.

Am on the lookout for a DP with PHA3, GH3 type of action with good piano sound. Also Auto accompaniment was needed as she wants to continue enjoying the keyboard roots.

I was researching the FP-7 when I came across the FP-7F which was announced a couple of days back. Halleluah!!!

The PHA3-S vs PHA3 seems to be like the PHA2 alpha (stage version) vs PHA2 key action. What is the difference between the two. Please throw some light on this.

How are the speakers on the FP-7 (to have an idea of the ones on the FP-7F). Are they bass reflex. The FP-4 speaker sound is too thin.

Is the Session Partner feature similar to auto accompaniment / styles in a Yamaha?

Is the PHA3 better than GH3 of Yamaha?

Will move her to a Kawai K6 upright in the future if she continues to do well with Pianos.

Last edited by bsl100; 09/03/10 04:31 PM.
E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
Some thoughts for you:

PHA-III is better than Yamaha GH3 (although the Yamaha action is fine)

FP-7 always had significantly better speakers than FP-4...I think the speakers are ported on the FP-7

I am absolutely confident that the PHA-III S (FP-7F) is mechanically identical to the deluxe PHA-III as fitted to V-Piano, RD-700NX and others. The only difference is that the S does not have the two layer construction giving the appearance of a wooden under-structure to the white keys...I mean, who needs this? Ridiculous idea anyway.

Cheers,

Steve

M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by EssBrace

I am absolutely confident that the PHA-III S (FP-7F) is mechanically identical to the deluxe PHA-III as fitted to V-Piano, RD-700NX and others.

I wouldn't be.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content
Melodialworks Music,

I wouldn't be.

May I ask why not?

James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
S
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
S
I'm pretty confident that they are the same, but I'd sack their marketing department and let an engineer re-write their product info. ;^)

Greg.

dewster Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
I think the -S stands for "solid" as in solid white plastic and no fake wood on the sides. I'd be fairly surprised (alas, not the first time with DP manufacturers) if PHAIII wasn't PHAIII.

IMO, the only reason management exists is to mismanage reality. We were all better off when engineers were closer to how the products were represented in the marketplace. They don't fool around.

D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by bsl100
Hi Guys,

Is the Session Partner feature similar to auto accompaniment / styles in a Yamaha?

Yes and no ... Yamaha is significantly more advanced in its Style based accompaniment technology. But do you want AUTO accompaniment?
If she's 13 its time she thought about what her left hand's doing and making it control the keyboard rather then the other way around.
With a "Style" she actually is playing along to what the keyboard wants rather then the keyboard following what she wants to do.
I'd be looking at a good stage piano /workstation that has a good arpeggios function.
The Roland RD700 has this but also the Yamaha S90XS and CP5.

"I'm still an idiot and I'm still in love" - Blue Sofa - The Plugz 1981 (Tito Larriva)
Disclosure : I am professionally associated with Arturia but my sentiments are my own only.
B
B
Thnx Dr Popper,

The ultimate goal for her would be a proper upright like the Kawai K6 or similar.

The RD700NX / CP5 look interesting and I was researching these as well. The only issue would be that its early days for an arranger/composer type of keyboard.

Last edited by bsl100; 09/04/10 12:51 AM.
T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by dewster
I think the -S stands for "solid" as in solid white plastic and no fake wood on the sides. I'd be fairly surprised (alas, not the first time with DP manufacturers) if PHAIII wasn't PHAIII.

IMO, the only reason management exists is to mismanage reality. We were all better off when engineers were closer to how the products were represented in the marketplace. They don't fool around.

I went to three different stores yesterday and got three different stories invented on the spot:

1. -S stands for Speed, the keyboard will be faster
2. -S stands for Silent, the keyboard will be quieter
3. -S stands for eScapement, the keyboard will have a more realistic escapement simulation that will later be put into the other keyboards (!)

All three stores were unaware that the key would be -Solid white, however, until I informed them.

Guys it's praiseworthy how much efforts are you putting to try to imagine and explain the differences between the two versions of the PHAIII. This is the reason why I really like this forum.

As for me, besides marketing definitions, it's quite obvious that Roland will not put his flagship action in a dital piano, the FP-7F, which will cost about half the price of the NX.

I think that the distance between the two actions will remain nearly the same as FP7/RD700GX(I like considerably more the action of the GX over the FP7).

Obviously I'll be more than happy to be wrong at the test drive on november, hoping that my local GC will have have them together.

T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
Not sure about the pricing you mention. Here the RD700NX is listed at 2399 and the FP7F at 1899. The power of the FP7 is less but it has its own speakers. Each has unique features that the other does not, aiming them at different markets.

Last edited by theJourney; 09/04/10 03:36 AM.
B
B
1. EssBrace mentions PHAIII being superior to GH3. Any comments on this? Also where do they stand against the Kawai RM3? It would give me a fair idea as I'd checked out the Kawai CA63 recently. Its action was about 80% of the K5 and K6 acoustic uprights.

2. FP-7 has regular PHAII whereas FP-4 has PHAII Alpha. What is the diff between these two actions. It could hold the answer to the PHAIII vs PHAIII-S action.

3. Probably the RD-700NX costs more than the FP-7F as its an arranger workstation for Pros with more features. Would these features be required for a beginer?

4. Is the SuperNatural sound engine superior to 4 or 5 layer Pure CFIIIS Dynamic Stereo Sampling of Yamaha?

My decision is going to lean towards the BEST Piano action as this would be the most crucial aspect of learning on an acoustic. Second would be the Sound as this would translate into a better understanding of each note and its expressivity. Last would be the AUTO-accompaniment feature for the fun part. The onboard speakers on the FP-7F would be an added bonus.

Last edited by bsl100; 09/04/10 04:34 AM.
dewster Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
3. Probably the RD-700NX costs more than the FP-7F as its an arranger workstation for Pros with more features. Would these features be required for a beginer?

I don't know if I'd call the NX and "arranger workstation". It's more of a full featured, flagship stage piano. I has SuperNATURAL EPs for instance, and only acquired rudimentary recording ability in this incarnation. If you watch the FP video it seems to have some kind of accompaniment going (rhythm patterns & a looper, says the FP info).

4. Is the SuperNatural sound engine superior to 4 or 5 layer Pure CFIIIS Dynamic Stereo Sampling of Yamaha?

Technically, absolutely. There is no looping or stretching going on in SN. I don't think I would be able to tell it's not a real piano, even in a solo recording scenario.

My decision is going to lean towards the BEST Piano action as this would be the most crucial aspect of learning on an acoustic. Second would be the Sound as this would translate into a better understanding of each note and its expressivity. Last would be the AUTO-accompaniment feature for the fun part. The onboard speakers on the FP-7F would be an added bonus.

I believe the NX and FP are the same for your first two criteria. The FP may actually be better for the third. And those speakers in the FP make it quite attractive as an all-rounder. The user interface on the NX is superior to the FP though. And they weigh about the same though the NX is longer and may not fit across the back seat of a car. I wish all of my wife's students had something as nice as either to practice on.

Last edited by dewster; 09/04/10 08:26 AM.
dewster Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by theJourney
I went to three different stores yesterday and got three different stories invented on the spot:

1. -S stands for Speed, the keyboard will be faster
2. -S stands for Silent, the keyboard will be quieter
3. -S stands for eScapement, the keyboard will have a more realistic escapement simulation that will later be put into the other keyboards (!)

That's hilarious!

Apparently -S stands for Sucker if you ask any kind of questions at all. This is why I do my own research and would rather the sales people just left me alone. Even the Sweetwater rep that rings up too often in order to badger the life out of me is often clueless when it comes to equipment that has just been announced.

dewster Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
My dream Roland stage piano would be the NX with (in order of decreasing importance):

1. The joystick removed or relocated to the upper deck.
2. Some kind of music rest.
3a. The built-in speakers of the FP.
3b. Lighter weight.

Heck, if they had just done the first one I'd have one preordered yesterday. As it is I'm having a hard time deciding between the two. It mainly comes down to the much nicer UI of the NX (I really like the rotary encoder wheel) vs the shorter length, built-in speakers, and music rest of the FP.

M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by dewster

Apparently -S stands for Sucker if you ask any kind of questions at all.

It's actually quite obvious that the -S stands for silly.

Online Content
dewster, this will be for your wife's teaching, correct?

If so, the FP-7F is perhaps the more suitable choice (music rest, speakers, greater portability, etc.)

James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
dewster Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
Yes, but it would be nice to be able to take it on vacation as well. For the studio the NX makes the most sense, as we already have a sound system and stand with music rest there. For portability the FP makes the most sense.

Page 4 of 40 1 2 3 4 5 6 39 40

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,159
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission