Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#150924 - 12/20/06 02:31 PM Piano Ownership's "Golden Age"
Mike A Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: So.Cal.USA
Reading some recent threads made me curious:

- What was the "golden age" for piano ownership in the US ... when the greatest percentage of households had a piano? I have the impression that it was the very early 1900s.

- How does the price of a "decent" piano then compare (inflation-adjusted) to the price of a similarly "decent" piano today? More "affordable" or less today, for a "typical" family, relative to overall incomes and cost of living, etc.? (Probably an impossible question to answer meaningfully, because there are so many variables.)

Anyway, just wondering. Any thoughts?

(ads 568) Hailun Pianos

piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#150925 - 12/20/06 04:58 PM Re: Piano Ownership's "Golden Age"
Casalborgone Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: San Francisco Area
 Quote:
Originally posted by Mike A:
Reading some recent threads made me curious:

- What was the "golden age" for piano ownership in the US ... when the greatest percentage of households had a piano? I have the impression that it was the very early 1900s.

- How does the price of a "decent" piano then compare (inflation-adjusted) to the price of a similarly "decent" piano today? More "affordable" or less today, for a "typical" family, relative to overall incomes and cost of living, etc.? (Probably an impossible question to answer meaningfully, because there are so many variables.)

Anyway, just wondering. Any thoughts? [/b]
Yes, the period from about 1890 to 1930. There were at that time thousands of piano manufacturers in the US. No radio; mechanical 78 rpm record players with poor sound quality. A piano then (as now) offered real music.

The price comparison doesn't make a lot of sense.

Most working men were paid $1 a day in 1900; the price of a beer was a nickel and that included a free lunch. A new upright piano might have sold for $150.

But what does that tell you, other than that it was an entirely different world in the US just 100 years ago? History offers many intellectual riches beyond the comparison of prices.
Not currently working in the piano trade.

#150926 - 12/20/06 05:30 PM Re: Piano Ownership's "Golden Age"
Mike A Offline
500 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Casalborgone:

Most working men were paid $1 a day in 1900; the price of a beer was a nickel and that included a free lunch. A new upright piano might have sold for $150.

But what does that tell you, other than that it was an entirely different world in the US just 100 years ago? History offers many intellectual riches beyond the comparison of prices. [/b]
What is interesting (to me) about a comparison of the relative prices is not the prices themselves ... it's the light it casts on what it *meant* to a family to own a piano. A very significant percentage of households owned pianos during that era, from what I understand. The higher the relative cost, the greater the relative importance of a piano must have been in the family's life, and the greater the financial sacrifice and prioritization necessary to buy it.

#150927 - 12/20/06 05:49 PM Re: Piano Ownership's "Golden Age"
Casalborgone Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: San Francisco Area
Yes, I agree that it is of interest to try to discover why a family might have wanted a piano in those days, but I don't think that the money or spending analysis is the best way to approach the question. For example, the piano itself might have been of little intrinsic interest to the family, but of great extrinsic interest in that having a piano meant that one was "well-to-do" or "keeping up with the Joneses" or that the family enjoyed throwing parties so that friends and neighbors could come over and entertain themselves at the piano.
Not currently working in the piano trade.

#150928 - 12/20/06 06:24 PM Re: Piano Ownership's "Golden Age"
Mike A Offline
500 Post Club Member

Of course: relative cost doesn't reveal *why* important. But it gives a good hint at *how* important, and the financial impact that a family faced in order to own a piano -- interesting (to me) in its own right.

#150929 - 12/22/06 11:56 AM Re: Piano Ownership's "Golden Age"
Colin Dunn Offline

Loc: Arvada, CO
If the average wage in 1900 was $1/day, and an upright piano was $150, getting a piano would consume 150 days' pay, or about 7-1/2 months of 5-day work weeks. (This ignores income and sales taxes.)

Today, the average wage according to US employment surveys is about $16/hr. For an 8-hour day, that's $128 per day. A high-quality upright piano can be had for abour $7,500. Ignoring income and sales taxes again, that piano costs about 59 days' pay.

In real terms, that would suggest a piano is 2-1/2 times as affordable today as compared to a century ago.

If pianos are less popular today, I think it's because they compete with many other hobbies and gadgets. Sports, computers, photography, visual arts, craft projects, etc.

I think today's piano buyer isn't merely looking at a piano as a device to bring music into their home. After all, a stereo system and some CDs brings professional renditions of music into the home a lot more cheaply. Among most people I've met, I see pianos being used as a creative / educational tool, or as an expensive / high-status piece of furniture.

#150930 - 12/22/06 02:59 PM Re: Piano Ownership's "Golden Age"
Mike A Offline
500 Post Club Member

I came across an interesting article at Economist.com, comparing "real" (i.e., inflation-adjusted) percentage changes in the price of various items in year 1900 vs. year 2000. It included Steinway grand pianos, showing a 160% "real" increase.
http://www.economist.com/printedition/displayStory.cfm?Story_ID=457272

(So, if we can apply the same percentage to uprights as grands, and if a Steinway upright cost, say, $25,000 in 2000, the comparable cost in 1900, but expressed in year 2000 dollars, would be about $9,600, if I'm doing the math right. Using a CPI inflation calculator to translate that back to year 1900 dollars, that seems to equate to about $480. Other brand pianos were no doubt less expensive.)
http://www.westegg.com/inflation/

Regarding pianos, the article emphasizes Colin's point above: "Many goods that are popular today—television sets, say—did not exist 100 years ago. Nor the way of achieving some non-material goods. In 1900, the Edison phonograph already existed. But anyone wanting the real sound of music at home ... had to buy an instrument (and then pay for his daughters to be taught how to play it). Over the past century, the price of a Steinway grand piano has increased by 160% in real terms. But the true cost of his pleasure to our music-lover has tumbled: he buys a compact-disc player instead of a piano, paying less than 1% of the price of a modern Steinway."

Interesting chart:

An article from the Chicago Public Library gave these statistics about wages and hours worked per week in Chicago for various occupations in 1900:
http://www.chipublib.org/004chicago/1900/fam.html

* Bricklayers $.50--46.3 hr.
* Hod Carriers $.25--48.0 hr.
* Construction Laborers $.17--60.0 hr.
* Plasterers $.50--44.0 hr.
* Boiler Makers $.27--54.1 hr.
* Foundry Laborers $.16--56.0 hr.
* Machine Woodworkers $.25--54.5 hr.
* Newspaper Compositors $.36--54.0 hr.

"This would give a range of annual income from about $570 for laborers to $1200 for bricklayers."

Chicago public sector wages in 1900 included:

* Janitors (male) $720, (female) $540
* Coal passers $720-780
* Firefighters $840-1,134
* Patrolmen $1,000, Police Matrons $720
* Laborers $600
* Stenographer (female) $900, male clerks generally earned $900-1200
* Mayor $10,000
* Department Heads generally earned $3,000-6,000.
* A quite numerous class of assistants, chief clerks, lawyers, police and fire supervisors, etc., earned a comfortable middle class income of $1200-3000 per year.

#150931 - 12/22/06 11:13 PM Re: Piano Ownership's "Golden Age"
seebechstein Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: houston
I find it fascinating that the necessities of life have gotten much cheaper, which allows everyone a moderate standard of living, whereas the luxuries have gotten much more expensive.

I think people had to work much harder 100 years ago to entertain themselves. I have the impression that people's homes were filled with educational opportunities such as books and musical instruments; today it is difficult to raise children in an intellectually stimulating home with all the easy diversions.

Moderator:  Ken Knapp, Piano World, Rickster 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
124 registered (accordeur, anotherscott, Atrys, Auver, 47 invisible), 1415 Guests and 43 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74250 Members
42 Forums
153592 Topics
2251056 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Casio PX 850
by ryand90
Today at 07:41 PM
Am I Too Old?
by HatemTarek22
Today at 07:34 PM
New 52" upright with 10K budget?
by WCSdancer
Today at 07:26 PM
give up on old acoustics and buy a digital?
by carojm36
Today at 06:41 PM
I think I have a problem
by JoelW
Today at 05:02 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission