2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
54 members (1200s, 36251, benkeys, 20/20 Vision, anotherscott, bcalvanese, Brendan, 1957, 10 invisible), 1,780 guests, and 336 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
Hello everybody!

Continuing the thread from Postcard No.6, and because of ChopinAddict's interest in Haddie's welfare, here are some pictures of the progress in the refurbishing part of the project...

I'm currently having a little problem with a blocked hammer that happens when I go to put the action in, so I can't promise any recordings this weekend until I get that problem solved. So here's a quote from a past episode, "Any restoration or refurbishing project starts with a thorough cleaning and inspection... ...so I'll just run my hands through the dust here and see if I find anything interesting!"

The keybed cleaning yielded about a dozen hairpins, half a dozen toothpicks, an ivory keytop (a tail piece), a keytop chip that actually fit back into place, a black button, a straight pin, dried plant leaves, and two other things mentioned below.

A big, big Thank You to Bill Bremmer for encouraging me in this endeavor. I was going to practice this stuff on the Schiller and then move to the Haddorff, but Bill basically said, "C'mon. Let's go!" and proceeded to show me how to replace and clean the key tops and how to clean the bass strings. So we are on the way!!!

--Andy

BEFORE:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

IN PROGRESS:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Fixing keytops:
[Linked Image]

Scrubbing bass strings with a wire brush:
[Linked Image]

AFTER:

[Linked Image]

And the bass strings are clean:

[Linked Image]

Oh, and here's a funny picture that explains at least two rattling key sounds:

[Linked Image]

I found this penny as I was taking the piano apart. 1995 was the date on the penny. Haddie told me that someone once gave her a penny for her thoughts. My experience with her is that, when prompted, she gives her thoughts pretty freely! grin I've also got one other funny thing that I found in the keybed that I will have to post later. Stay tuned!

Thanks for you interest!

Last edited by Cinnamonbear; 09/04/10 12:55 AM. Reason: added pictures

I may not be fast,
but at least I'm slow.
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Looks like the jobs going pretty well. I'll be sure to stay tuned for updates. I'm also sure that Haddie will not be requiring a penny for you to her her perspective.

4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
Here's the other funny thing. Those are the hairpins, toothpicks, the button (I used the ivory tail piece and chip that I found)... and there is this slip of paper with the number 1 that was also in the dusty keybed. What does it mean? "Inspected by No. 1" ???

[Linked Image]

grin

--Andy

Last edited by Cinnamonbear; 09/04/10 01:08 AM.

I may not be fast,
but at least I'm slow.
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
WOW, you did a great job and Haddie must be VERY proud of you. thumb

[Linked Image]

Music is my best friend.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Wow, really very good job!

I wonder how could anyone had (or have? whatever) tossed some toothpicks inside the piano, that's very funny, but also pretty weird (and kind of disgusting eek ).

The button, that's easy. It was Benjamin Button, while he was playing Scott Joplin's Bethena ! grin (he also used to play the scott Joplin's piano ha )

Last edited by al-mahed; 09/04/10 03:18 AM.
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
I think No.1 simply means that Haddie is No.1, the best of the best... wink laugh She wants to give you a hint, although I am sure you already know... smile

[Linked Image]

Music is my best friend.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Andy,

Your blocking problem is probably a broken bridal strap. Without it, when the action is removed, the whippen drops down. When the action is placed back in, the jack jams. Replace the bridal strap and your problem will probably be solved but make sure it is the same length as the other straps.

Jerry Groot RPT
Piano Technicians Guild
Grand Rapids, Michigan
www.grootpiano.com

We love to play BF2.
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
Thanks, Jer!

The bridal straps are "newer." After much fiddling and poking around, and looking at the diagram in the book--it looks like the problem is that the jack is bound up in the hammer butt felt. Now, if I can just free it withough breaking anything... Man, it's hard to see anything in there!!!

I may not be fast,
but at least I'm slow.
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
They could still be to long allowing the whippen to go down to far which will allow the jack to slip underneath the butt.

Jerry Groot RPT
Piano Technicians Guild
Grand Rapids, Michigan
www.grootpiano.com

We love to play BF2.
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
I DOOD IT! laugh

It was easy, once I figgerd out which part to flick... (the jack knuckle). Until then, it was not easy, because I was lost in space.

Thanks, Jer, for helping me see what I had to see!

Now I can play my piano again, and, at least for now, I am the Dood! Yippee-skippee!!!

grin

P.S.:

In this adventure, I learned:

1. how to clean and replace keytops and clean bass strings (thanks Bill!)
2. how to take off and put back on a damper (when I was trying to see what was going on... completely unnecessary in this case, but good experience)
3. where hammer springs and damper springs go (see above)
4. how to un-hook and hook back up a bridle strap (also unnecessary in this case, but good experience!)
5. what hammer butt felt, jacks, jack knuckles and whippens are (thanks, Jer!)
6. how to put the action back in vewwy keewfuwwy...
7. how many missing pieces my piano has (lots or little felts and screws are gone)
8. I have lots to learn and lots to do
9. I can dood it! smile

I may not be fast,
but at least I'm slow.
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
I like number 7. I think I was born with loose screws. Not sure about missing felts but, I might be missing an oar or 4?

Jerry Groot RPT
Piano Technicians Guild
Grand Rapids, Michigan
www.grootpiano.com

We love to play BF2.
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
Hello, everybody!

I crossposted some of this in the Tuner/Tech forum in the thread, "So, what did you do today?"

Bill Bremmer, RPT, came over today to work on Haddie and show me how to do some things. Prior to his arrival, I had taken the action out, unhooked all the bridal straps and took off all the dampers. I tried replacing a hammer flange butt plate, but couldn't get the thing to work right. Found out later that the screws that came with the plates I ordered were too big for the holes in the flange by a micro-little-bit.

Anyway, when Bill came over, he checked the work that I had done cleaning the bass strings and replacing missing ivories. Then, we went to the action, took off the hammer spring rail, and he had me buzz the new butt plates with the dremmel grinder to round their edges off a little. He re-pinned the hammers in the middle section, a few in the bass, and a few in the treble while replacing about 2 doz. butt plates. During this process, he discovered that some of the hammers had been placed out of order at some point in the piano's history and worked that puzzle for a while.

Meanwhile, I cleaned the rust and the dust off the hammer rail springs with alcohol and steel wool and retensioned them. Then I started cleaning the damper wires and springs, retensioned the springs, and lightly sanded the damper felts. When Bill had all the hammers moving the way he wanted them, he re-shaped them. We put the hammer spring rail back on and put the springs back in place, then Bill lubed the damper rod.

I still have about half the dampers to clean and sand yet. (Hey, I may not be fast, but at least I'm slow!)

Man, did I ever learn a lot today! Plus, we had a great time swapping stories and listening to jazz while we worked! grin In between the jazz, instructions, explanations of what he was doing, descriptions of what other work needed to be done on the piano, stories, and laughs, Bill would occasionally spontaneously break into song: recitatives from an upcoming Handel oratorio! laugh Life is good.

Bill Bremmer shaping hammers:

[Linked Image]

Me sanding dampers:

[Linked Image]

Clean dampers with re-tensioned springs:

[Linked Image]

So, if you wonder why there hasn't been a Haddorff Postcard lately, well, this is kinda why. Stay tuned!!! laugh

--Andy

Haddorff Postcard [No.1] with "Deep Purple"
Haddorff Postcard No.2 with "I Love Her"
Haddorff Postcard No.3 with "Yes, Sir! That's My Baby"
Haddorff Postcard No.4 with "Mistress Murphy's Chowder"
Haddorff Postcard No.5 with "All Alone"
Haddorff - (no postcard) with "He Wipes The Tear From Every Eye" played on the Haddorff
Haddorff Postcard No.6 with "Constantinople"
Haddorff Pictures (no postcard, yet)
Haddorff Postcard No.7 with a couple of Scriabin Preludes
Haddorff Postcard No. 8 with Bach Snippets and The Perfect Nanny

My Piano In EBVT III

I may not be fast,
but at least I'm slow.

Platinum Supporter until November 30 2022
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Platinum Supporter until November 30 2022
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Andy -

I have a feeling that your Haddie is going to sound and play like a Bosie by the time you complete her makeover !!!

This is really fascinating to watch !!

Mason and Hamlin BB - 91640
Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Korg SP-100 Stage Piano
YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/pianophilo
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
Indeed, carey. This piano was a nice find!

Here's an artsy action shot of Bill shaping hammers:

[Linked Image]

I may not be fast,
but at least I'm slow.

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,194
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission