Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Yamaha CP4 Rebate
Yamaha CP4 Rebate
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
112 registered (alfredo capurso, Abby Pianoman, Allochi, albumblatter, ahoffmann, Amosdoll, 30 invisible), 1373 Guests and 13 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#1509732 - 09/05/10 10:19 PM Site problems?
Mark_C Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York
Just wondering if it's the site, or just an 'equipment malfunction' over here:

Anyone else having the problem of the site "freezing" after you've looked at a page or two or three? I've been having it repeatedly in the last couple of days.

Ad 800 (Pearl River)
Pearl River World's Best Selling Piano
#1509742 - 09/05/10 10:31 PM Re: Site problems? [Re: Mark_C]
Frozenicicles Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Canada
Nope, not me. Maybe it's your billions of posts slowing you down. grin

#1509760 - 09/05/10 11:12 PM Re: Site problems? [Re: Mark_C]
Mark_C Offline

Yeah -- maybe an "enforced slow-down program." ha

#1509766 - 09/05/10 11:17 PM Re: Site problems? [Re: Mark_C]
Pogorelich. Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: not somewhere over the rainbow
Nope. Hey, I just noticed you're from New York! Lucky. I hear Gergiev is there allllllll the time.....

"Doing things changes things. Not doing things leaves things exactly as they were."

#1509772 - 09/05/10 11:26 PM Re: Site problems? [Re: Pogorelich.]
Mark_C Offline

One is supposed to know of such a person

BTW.....I apologize in advance if he's your boyfriend or something like that. ha

#1509773 - 09/05/10 11:27 PM Re: Site problems? [Re: Mark_C]
currawong Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Down Under
I have lots of problems to do with slow loading, connection dropping out - but it's not just PW, so I think it's more general. My connection sucks, and my computer needs an efficiency boost. *sigh*

#1509774 - 09/05/10 11:28 PM Re: Site problems? [Re: currawong]
Mark_C Offline

Originally Posted By: currawong
I have lots of problems to do with slow loading, connection dropping out - but it's not just PW, so I think it's more general. My connection sucks, and my computer needs an efficiency boost. *sigh*

So sorry to hear!
Mine is just with this site -- which is bad enough already. confused

#1509777 - 09/05/10 11:34 PM Re: Site problems? [Re: Mark_C]
currawong Offline
6000 Post Club Member

What do you do when it freezes? Go to another site and then come back? Or do you have to restart your browser?

#1509778 - 09/05/10 11:37 PM Re: Site problems? [Re: currawong]
Mark_C Offline

What do you do when it freezes? Go to another site and then come back? Or do you have to restart your browser?

Sort of the latter -- I don't know if it's the same as what would be called "restarting," but, I quit the browser and re-open it. (Probably what you meant.)
That usually takes care of it; sometimes I have to repeat the process a second time for the site to start working again, but usually just once.

But then usually it freezes again after only a brief time, and if I want to continue on the site, I have to repeat the process.

#1509781 - 09/05/10 11:41 PM Re: Site problems? [Re: Mark_C]
Pogorelich. Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Mark_C
One is supposed to know of such a person

BTW.....I apologize in advance if he's your boyfriend or something like that. ha

Haha, I wish.. I mean, he's married. I mean, I have a boyfriend. Argh.. (it's ok Gergiev is on my 'list')

Valery Gergiev?? The conductor of the Mariinsky (formerly known as the Kirov) orchestra? Works for the met opera as a principle guest conductor, and does the Mariinsky ballet in Russia, and a bunch of other jobs.. frequent guest to Vienna and London phils, former principle conductor of Rotterdam.. and he is sooooo great!!!!!! I wish I lived in NY for that reason!

"Doing things changes things. Not doing things leaves things exactly as they were."

#1509783 - 09/05/10 11:49 PM Re: Site problems? [Re: Mark_C]
currawong Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Or do you have to restart your browser?
Sort of the latter -- I don't know if it's the same as what would be called "restarting," but, I quit the browser and re-open it. (Probably what you meant.)
Yep, that's what I meant. (I'm suffering from not enough detailed computer terminology instruction from my techno son before he left home ... smile )

#1509785 - 09/05/10 11:51 PM Re: Site problems? [Re: Pogorelich.]
Mark_C Offline

Originally Posted By: Pogorelich.
....Valery Gergiev?? The conductor of the Mariinsky (formerly known as the Kirov) orchestra? Works for the met opera as a principle guest conductor, and does the Mariinsky ballet in Russia, and a bunch of other jobs.. frequent guest to Vienna and London phils, former principle conductor of Rotterdam.. and he is sooooo great!!!!!! I wish I lived in NY for that reason!

I actually looked him up right after that last post. I'm even more impressed by his social/political conscience and activity, and how he has used music toward that end.

#1509786 - 09/05/10 11:51 PM Re: Site problems? [Re: currawong]
Mark_C Offline

Yep, that's what I meant. (I'm suffering from not enough detailed computer terminology instruction....

No, maybe I am. smile

#1509818 - 09/06/10 12:53 AM Re: Site problems? [Re: Mark_C]
ChopinAddict Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Land of the never-ending music
I don't know... Maybe you can try to clear cookies, cache etc.
I have no problems, but this morning I noticed the Quick Reply was to the OP rather than the last post.

Music is my best friend.

#1509824 - 09/06/10 01:10 AM Re: Site problems? [Re: ChopinAddict]
Mark_C Offline

Originally Posted By: ChopinAddict
....I have no problems, but this morning I noticed the Quick Reply was to the OP rather than the last post.

Isn't that a slight contradiction? smile

#1509827 - 09/06/10 01:16 AM Re: Site problems? [Re: Mark_C]
ChopinAddict Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Well, it is not really a problem. It is just something new. So whoever is the OP for example should avoid using the Quick Reply, or he/she will reply to him/herself.

Music is my best friend.

#1509833 - 09/06/10 01:33 AM Re: Site problems? [Re: Mark_C]
Frozenicicles Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Canada
Originally Posted By: ChopinAddict
....I have no problems, but this morning I noticed the Quick Reply was to the OP rather than the last post.

Isn't that a slight contradiction? smile

I've noticed that too! Isn't that what you always wanted, Mark_C? Somebody was always going "I can't believe you said that to me!" and when the post was actually directed at the OP.

To explain your problem, I've hacked into the site code and come up with this equation for you: Chance of site freezing=(number of smilies used/day)^2/(number of posts/day)^3 + (number of posts you made to the Condoleeza Rice thread)/5. They're watching you...

#1509835 - 09/06/10 01:36 AM Re: Site problems? [Re: Frozenicicles]
ChopinAddict Offline
6000 Post Club Member

If he reaches 10,000 posts before the 11th of November, the site will crash, so they are trying to take measures to prevent this... laugh
(PS: I guess you included ha as a smiley in your equation. wink )

Music is my best friend.

#1509850 - 09/06/10 02:40 AM Re: Site problems? [Re: Mark_C]
lilylady Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: boston north
The site is giving me the same problems of no connection. Twice just last nite. I have to close it down and wait abit before it will open.

#1509910 - 09/06/10 07:53 AM Re: Site problems? [Re: Mark_C]
pianoloverus Offline

Loc: New York City
I'm still having problems with the program taking me to the beginning of any thread I click on instead of to the first unread post. This forces me to scroll to the end of the thread and backtrack to the last post I read.

This was not the case for at least 6 years(the program correctly took me to the first unread post in the thread). Then, the program started taking me to the beginning of each thread for a year or more. Then for a few recent weeks the program worked correctly(taking me to the first unread post). Now it's back to taking me to the beginning of each thread.

I've tried all of Frank's previous suggestions about making the program work the way it should, but none work.

I'm surprised that this hasn't been fixed as I assume many people have this annoying problem. So please speak up if you have this problem so maybe it can be addressed!

Edited by pianoloverus (09/06/10 07:58 AM)

#1509916 - 09/06/10 08:17 AM Re: Site problems? [Re: Mark_C]
stores Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Here, as opposed to there
Originally Posted By: Pogorelich.
....Valery Gergiev?? The conductor of the Mariinsky (formerly known as the Kirov) orchestra? Works for the met opera as a principle guest conductor, and does the Mariinsky ballet in Russia, and a bunch of other jobs.. frequent guest to Vienna and London phils, former principle conductor of Rotterdam.. and he is sooooo great!!!!!! I wish I lived in NY for that reason!

I actually looked him up right after that last post. I'm even more impressed by his social/political conscience and activity, and how he has used music toward that end.

You'd seriously not heard of him before now?

"And if we look at the works of J.S. Bach — a benevolent god to which all musicians should offer a prayer to defend themselves against mediocrity... -Debussy

"It's ok if you disagree with me. I can't force you to be right."

♪ ≠ $

#1509925 - 09/06/10 08:44 AM Re: Site problems? [Re: pianoloverus]
Studio Joe Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Decatur, Texas
Originally Posted By: pianoloverus
I'm still having problems with the program taking me to the beginning of any thread I click on instead of to the first unread post. This forces me to scroll to the end of the thread and backtrack to the last post I read.

I does that for me on threads that have "quotes" in the subject, but all others work like they should.

Edited by Studio Joe (09/06/10 08:45 AM)

#1509927 - 09/06/10 08:48 AM Re: Site problems? [Re: Mark_C]
lilylady Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Well, if we are talking problems in general...I still have the jumping problem as I try to respond with more than a few lines (guess that might be telling me I am long winded????)

So I can type a few lines, then it starts jumping and since at that time I can no longer be reading what I am writing I need to do it blindly. Post. Then go back and try to correct my spelling mistakes.

Most frustrating!

#1509930 - 09/06/10 08:53 AM Re: Site problems? [Re: Mark_C]
keyboardklutz Offline

Loc: London, UK (though if it's Aug...
Me too! Not lately though.

#1509934 - 09/06/10 08:57 AM Re: Site problems? [Re: Mark_C]
Studio Joe Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Decatur, Texas
Maybe you need to work on your site reading.

#1509965 - 09/06/10 10:07 AM Re: Site problems? [Re: Mark_C]
hopinmad Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Eryri/Manchester
I have that problem sometimes but I suspect it's jsut the computer. What's more annoying is that soemtimes it logs me out just after logging me in (for no apparent reason), and that it will never keep me logged in even after pressing the "keep me logged in" button.

#1509971 - 09/06/10 10:13 AM Re: Site problems? [Re: Studio Joe]
lilylady Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Studio Joe
Maybe you need to work on your site reading.

ha

#1510026 - 09/06/10 11:33 AM Re: Site problems? [Re: stores]
Pogorelich. Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: stores

You'd seriously not heard of him before now?

You'd be surprised actually. And a lot of people HERE don't know about him simply because every time they come to do a concert, our @#^%!$& orchestra does everything they can to not advertise it, even though it's in their damn hall. On their calendar it appeared as a blank night. Yet for any other guest orchestra they put it in. People are just jealous, at least I know our orchestra is. They can't stand the fact that there actually people out there who still give a $h.t about music, and they are afraid people will finally understand how absolutely, unbelievably terrible they are.

#1510036 - 09/06/10 11:40 AM Re: Site problems? [Re: pianoloverus]
Orange Soda King Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Louisville, Kentucky, United S...

This was not the case for at least 6 years(the program correctly took me to the first unread post in the thread). Then, the program started taking me to the beginning of each thread for a year or more. Then for a few recent weeks the program worked correctly(taking me to the first unread post). Now it's back to taking me to the beginning of each thread.

I've tried all of Frank's previous suggestions about making the program work the way it should, but none work.

I'm surprised that this hasn't been fixed as I assume many people have this annoying problem. So please speak up if you have this problem so maybe it can be addressed!

Sometimes it's a problem for me, and sometimes it isn't. I don't understand why it's not consistently one way or the other. But I understand what you mean, and I've heard you say something about that before. (That was a few months back, wasn't it?)

#1510094 - 09/06/10 01:02 PM Re: Site problems? [Re: Orange Soda King]
pianoloverus Offline

Loc: New York City
Originally Posted By: Orange Soda King

Sometimes it's a problem for me, and sometimes it isn't. I don't understand why it's not consistently one way or the other. But I understand what you mean, and I've heard you say something about that before. (That was a few months back, wasn't it?)
I've mentioned it a few times in the last two years. Although it's a big nuisance and I really think Frank should try and fix this(unless only as small number of people have the probelm), I had more or less accepted that nothing could be done. Then a week or two ago everything started working perfectly(the thread automatically jumped to the first unread post)for no apparent reason. Then, just as unexpectedly, it stopped working again.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
Shop our Store for Music Lovers!
PianoSupplies.com is Piano World's Online Store
Please visit our store today.
circle of 5ths coaster
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Hal Leonard Teacher VIP
Hal Leonard Teacher VIP Your Source for Piano Music
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
New Topics - Multiple Forums
WONDERFUL BOOK for understanding piano music, Bach and
by frankdavid
03/29/15 07:47 AM
WONDERFUL BOOK for understanding classical music, Bach and
by frankdavid
03/29/15 07:33 AM
Feinberg - Sirodeau plays 2 preludes from Op. 8
by 255
03/29/15 06:22 AM
Do Schumann's pieces have to be played as sets?
by Pover
03/29/15 05:09 AM
A Visit to the Wizard's Workshop (trip report)
by phantomFive
03/29/15 03:24 AM
What's Hot!!
Trade Regrets: Gary Trafton - Piano Rep
--------------------
Historic Piano Documents
--------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Forum Stats
78,692 Registered Members
43 Forums
162,797 Topics
2,389,728 Posts

Most users ever online: 15,252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2015 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission