Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1510244 - 09/06/10 05:21 PM Student only likes minor keys.
WinsomeAllegretto Offline
500 Post Club Member

So I have this teenage student who really likes minor keys. She is a good student and is taking lessons because she is interested in learning to play piano, and not because her parents are making her. She is playing late beginner/early intermediate music. However, when I assign her pieces in major keys, I can tell that she doesn't like them or understand them as much, and she doesn't put as much emotion into it. Is there anything I can say to help her understand why pieces in major keys are important to learn also?

(ad) My Music Staff
Check out the new way to manage your music studio
#1510365 - 09/06/10 08:00 PM Re: Student only likes minor keys. [Re: WinsomeAllegretto]
TheHappyMoron Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: UK
When i was in my early teenage years i would only enjoy playing solemn or heavy pieces in minor keys, and thought anything that sounded remotely happy was dull! But eventually i changed my mind, and now enjoy portraying all emotions, happy ones even more so!
So maybe only time will help your student understand? Afterall, the best way for someone to learn is for them to work it out for themselves...

#1510397 - 09/06/10 08:50 PM Re: Student only likes minor keys. [Re: WinsomeAllegretto]
eweiss Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Beautiful San Diego, CA
Easy solution ... find works in Major keys that have a sad quality to them. I know they exist but don't know which direction to point you in. Fortunately, many here at PW do. smile

#1510404 - 09/06/10 09:02 PM Re: Student only likes minor keys. [Re: WinsomeAllegretto]
danshure Offline

Loc: Massachusetts
Show her that a Major 7 chord is a minor triad with a different root. For example, E- over C is C Major 7.

Beyond that, I'd find out WHY she likes minor keys and not go with any assumptions. I'd even not assume that its so either/or (major vs minor) - I'd dig a little deeper into her musical interests. Maybe its been a coincidence that she seems to only like minor.

#1510513 - 09/07/10 12:15 AM Re: Student only likes minor keys. [Re: WinsomeAllegretto]
Mermanof83 Offline

Loc: California, USA
Sounds like me. I'm 18 and mostly play minor pieces. I feel that I can connect a lot more, and a lot easier with negative feelings than I can with more positive emotions, and so pieces in minor keys speak to my heart more. Maybe it is just my age, and angst is the cause, but I often hear people my age asking me why on earth I listen to sad music most of the time. Maybe it is just that we intelligent piano students have a different take on things!

Why are pieces in major keys important to learn also? Is there really that much in a piece of a major key that you cannot learn from one of a minor key?

If you can come up with a good answer to that, I'll second the recommendation of major key pieces with a sad feel. They are out there, but for some reason the only thing that comes to mind when thinking of that mood is 'The Rain Song' by Led Zeppelin, as well as a folk artist by the name of Nick Drake...oh well. Good luck!

#1510692 - 09/07/10 09:35 AM Re: Student only likes minor keys. [Re: WinsomeAllegretto]
wavelength Offline

Loc: Vermont, USA
Maybe it's because major-key pieces in at the late beginner level really are dull?

What are some examples of pieces that she's doing?

#1510701 - 09/07/10 09:48 AM Re: Student only likes minor keys. [Re: WinsomeAllegretto]
Piano*Dad Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Williamsburg, VA
Liking only minor keys is just so sad ....

grin

As a teen, I remember a period when I was infatuated with minor keys. In fact, to this day I think C minor is my favorite key!
Grotrian 192 #156455

https://www.youtube.com/user/dhfeld/videos

#1510718 - 09/07/10 10:16 AM Re: Student only likes minor keys. [Re: WinsomeAllegretto]
cinstance Offline

Interesting!

My son dislike minor keys, with the exception of minor with sharps. He gets goose bumps listening to pieces in minor keys according to himself.

#1510735 - 09/07/10 10:52 AM Re: Student only likes minor keys. [Re: WinsomeAllegretto]
Ann in Kentucky Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Kentucky
Originally Posted By: WinsomeAllegretto
So I have this teenage student who really likes minor keys. She is a good student and is taking lessons because she is interested in learning to play piano, and not because her parents are making her. She is playing late beginner/early intermediate music. However, when I assign her pieces in major keys, I can tell that she doesn't like them or understand them as much, and she doesn't put as much emotion into it. Is there anything I can say to help her understand why pieces in major keys are important to learn also?

You could show her how to transpose to minor as it is simple enough. She'd still learn the pieces.

"She played upon her music box
a fancy air by chance,
And straightaway all her polka dots
began a lively dance."
-- Peter Newell

#1510760 - 09/07/10 11:34 AM Re: Student only likes minor keys. [Re: eweiss]
Andy Platt Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Virginia, USA
Originally Posted By: eweiss
Easy solution ... find works in Major keys that have a sad quality to them. I know they exist but don't know which direction to point you in. Fortunately, many here at PW do. smile

The second movement of Mozart's K545 springs to mind ... mostly because that's what I'm working on right now. It has such beauty and pathos that it just has to be in a minor key wink

Kawai K3

#1510821 - 09/07/10 01:43 PM Re: Student only likes minor keys. [Re: WinsomeAllegretto]
Elissa Milne Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Sydney, NSW, Australia
I don't think it matters in the slightest if your student only learns music in a minor key for the next 12 months!!! There is so much fabulous material in minor keys you can turn this interest of your student's into a real teaching point! Compare different kinds of minor. Compare how Classical minor is very different to Baroque minor. Compare Dorian modes with Aeolian modes. Compare waltzes in a minor key with blues. So many opportunities for exploration!!!
www.elissamilne.wordpress.com

#1510825 - 09/07/10 01:47 PM Re: Student only likes minor keys. [Re: WinsomeAllegretto]
apple* Offline

Loc: Kansas
i agree.. there are some gorgeous works and I don't see how it would affect her learning. I may be a phase anyway, perhaps shortlived.

(I just played 'the Volga Boatman' (a blast from my past) for some reason last nite.. very beautiful.

love and peace, Õun (apple in Estonian)

#1510836 - 09/07/10 02:11 PM Re: Student only likes minor keys. [Re: Elissa Milne]
beet31425 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Bay Area, CA
Originally Posted By: Elissa Milne
I don't think it matters in the slightest if your student only learns music in a minor key for the next 12 months!!! There is so much fabulous material in minor keys....

I agree too. Not to mention the fact that many minor pieces contain episodes, or whole middle sections, in major keys. So they'll get some major key exposure.

I think it's great to have a student who expresses preferences-- that should be encouraged!

(By the way, I suspect many of us have more of a preference for minor keys than we readily admit. If you look at all the movements in Mozart concertos and symphonies, for example, the small handful that are in minor keys are disproportionally popular.)

-Jason

#1510873 - 09/07/10 03:18 PM Re: Student only likes minor keys. [Re: WinsomeAllegretto]
wavelength Offline

Loc: Vermont, USA
I prefer minor keys, without a doubt. Even the major key pieces I'm attracted to have minor elements.

#1510884 - 09/07/10 03:44 PM Re: Student only likes minor keys. [Re: WinsomeAllegretto]
tangleweeds Offline

Silver Supporter until Jan 11 2012

Loc: Portlandia
I think it may just be a natural taste, or a natural phase of musical development. Some of us are just a little odd that way.

When I play Irish music, all my favorite tunes are in the Dorian mode, and when I look back at the folk tunes that moved me in the past, most of them are Dorian too. I like natural minor also, but I"m often irritated by classical pieces that use the melodic minor. It sounds whitewashed, prettified, or artificially over-sweetened to my ears. I guess it's just missing that primal modal character which resonates so strongly with me.

neglected piano blog

#1511245 - 09/08/10 03:01 AM Re: Student only likes minor keys. [Re: Piano*Dad]
ChopinAddict Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Land of the never-ending music
Originally Posted By: Piano*Dad

As a teen, I remember a period when I was infatuated with minor keys. In fact, to this day I think C minor is my favorite key!

I love minor keys and have always loved them more than major keys. As a matter of fact, even with other instruments, when I buy a guitar or flute collection for example, I always play minor keys first.

Music is my best friend.

#1511845 - 09/08/10 10:30 PM Re: Student only likes minor keys. [Re: WinsomeAllegretto]
findingnemo2010 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

minor keys have a great feeling to them but so dont alot of major keys like bflat, teach her beautiful songs in major keys maybe like some elton john can you feel the love tonight...those have a lot of feeling and are played major

#1512068 - 09/09/10 08:20 AM Re: Student only likes minor keys. [Re: WinsomeAllegretto]
TimR Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Virginia, USA
Here's another wacko thought (I have no shortage of these!).

What kind of instrument does she practice on, and how is it tuned?

I mention this because to a person with sensitive hearing, the overtones present can make a difference for what type of chords are consonant, and these overtones can vary.

A short story: The pastor at a church where I played services requested a favorite hymn for his last appearance (he was retiring, not dying!). It was a weird mournful one in a minor key, but it had special meaning for him so I dutifully prepared it. At my low skill level that meant hours of work, and the whole time it was grating on my ears. My digital emulated an acoustic, complete with inharmonicity. It was in tune, and sounded good to my ears on the major key hymns I was playing at the same service, but those minor chords were like pushing on a toothache. (A more skillful player could have revoiced it, but at the time I was doing well to play the simplest close chords.) But I played the service on the organ, and those minor chords sounded great. The overtones, even given an electronic organ, line up differently.

And acoustic pianos vary as well, depending on when they were last tuned, the degree of inharmonicity present, and the method of imitating equal temperament chosen by the tuner.

#1512356 - 09/09/10 05:28 PM Re: Student only likes minor keys. [Re: Elissa Milne]
casinitaly Offline

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014

Loc: Italy
Originally Posted By: Elissa Milne
I don't think it matters in the slightest if your student only learns music in a minor key for the next 12 months!!! There is so much fabulous material in minor keys you can turn this interest of your student's into a real teaching point! Compare different kinds of minor. Compare how Classical minor is very different to Baroque minor. Compare Dorian modes with Aeolian modes. Compare waltzes in a minor key with blues. So many opportunities for exploration!!!

Wow... interesting ideas. I think my teacher is going to wonder about where some of my questions are coming from, when next we meet!

Moderator:  Ken Knapp 
What's Hot!!
Our latest Issue is available now...
Piano News - Interesting & Fun Piano Related Newsletter! (free)
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
71 registered (ando, aesop, Al LaPorte, barmassimo, beeboss, 21 invisible), 1216 Guests and 19 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75602 Members
42 Forums
156326 Topics
2295914 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
piano technician cost list
by ascc
08/01/14 01:36 AM
Liszt on Steinway A3
by Reno
08/01/14 01:35 AM
Roland RD800 initial impressions
by fizikisto
08/01/14 12:28 AM
Connected Slurs
by TX-Bluebonnet
08/01/14 12:17 AM
Recital 35 --- Call For Submissions
by AB Forum Recital
07/31/14 10:17 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission