2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
42 members (36251, Doug M., Davidnewmind, Dfrankjazz, brdwyguy, busa, benkeys, Burkhard, David Boyce, 6 invisible), 1,092 guests, and 255 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10
D
OP Offline
D
I KNEW this was going to happen.

I took in this student 2 years ago, I boosted her marks, helped her win awards she never won before, gave her the confidence she definitely didn't have before. I don't expect much in return except to be paid and to be able to continue my teachings with her.

As many of you know, a new teacher made a move on my student and the father thought it would be ok for his daughter to be taught by 2 different teachers. At first he said not to worry because it was just a few free lessons before her exam.

I spoke with him today, he said "because of your rules, we have decided to go with the other teacher". My rules being - students will not have multiple teachers.

For those of you who gave me grief because I was suspicious that this teacher was making a move, what now? "Ohhhhh, let me give you a couple free lessons, if you like you can come with me!". Wasn't I right to be suspicious?

This is the only time this has ever happened to me in all my years of teaching.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Life goes on, move with it.

If you wish to bring this to the attention of your local colleagues, do so. This other teacher may pay a price in the long run.

8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
I would hesitate to label the teacher by her nationality; it sounds like the teacher is stealing students _because_ she is Polish. Your post's title comes across as racist, even though I find the content of your post to be acceptable. Can you write a critique of the teacher without mentioning her nationality or country of origin??

On the topic of stealing students: Just move on. You are better off not dealing with colleagues who resort to stealing students or using other non-professional tactics.

Private Piano Teacher and MTAC Member
D
OP Offline
D
Oh I don't mean to sound racist at all. I just call her the Polish teacher because that's all I know about her. It was also one of the reasons my client decided to switch to her. They were Polish and she was Polish, so of course they had to switch right? lol

It burns because she was one of my top students, amongst many other reasons.

I'm not so bitter now, but on the off chance that this situation occurs again, I know that I will deal with it swiftly.

Yes, you were entirely right to be suspicious.

The frustration must be immense for you, and I have much sympathy for you and your situation. You can't do anything about that student now, though, so let the situation roll off your back. I do believe that the other teacher's actions will probably catch up with him/her. And I'd feel free to say something to other local teachers if the opportunity presents itself, as it's obvious that the other teacher is not acting professionally or ethically.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Actually, if you have a clause in your contract that states no multiple teachers, you might have a case in small claims court. I don't know if it would be 'actionable' or not though. smile

M
M
not a piano teacher, but chiming in anyways.

Originally Posted by eweiss
Actually, if you have a clause in your contract that states no multiple teachers, you might have a case in small claims court. I don't know if it would be 'actionable' or not though. smile

If the OP did that it'd probably be the easiest way to lose ALL their students, and the other teacher could easily counter-sue for slander. Honestly I think this is one of those ' ... to accept the things I cannot change' situations, dwelling over it is just a lose/lose proposition.

Also, btw

Originally Posted by Dark Dragon
I took in this student 2 years ago, I boosted her marks, helped her win awards she never won before, gave her the confidence she definitely didn't have before. I don't expect much in return except to be paid and to be able to continue my teachings with her.

the first expectation is of course correct (being paid for your services), the second is something you might want to work on not expecting, because no matter what (another teacher, moving away, changing economic situation of the parents, loss of interest from the child, ...) nowhere is guaranteed that you'll see any of your student again at lesson, just do your best to help them, of course, but try to take a step back and keep your relationship with them on a professional level.

Last edited by MarcoM; 09/06/10 08:11 PM.
Originally Posted by AZNpiano
I would hesitate to label the teacher by her nationality....

I agree. It made me uncomfortable, even though I realized it was only what DD explained it was.

Although it is saddening to see a student go, especially one we have worked with for a few years, this is the danger of crossing the line from feeling sad, to feeling like we owned that student. The OP's comments have a tone of ownership, but ultimately they're free to study with whomever they want.

The feeling of another new teacher coming in and taking this student is even worse. But give it time - they may realize they made a mistake and come back to you. (I've seen that happen many times before!)

Go here ---> Piano Teaching Blog
T
T
Sorry, I don't buy your explanation mentioning you only know the teacher as Polish. Who cares? So you lost a student. That happens. I'm more concerned of transference. Did you have a teacher who told you that if you were to study with anyone else, you had to tell them? I actually did. He had a HUGE ego. And that was his undoing. He turned down an offer to merge his school with a university. Today he has no school at all. As I see it, a teacher should prepare a student to move on. Mine wanted the opposite, to hang on. I'm glad the students parents got involved which shows they care. Don't take it personal. It's their money. You did your best.

+1 Eric and dan, all this ownership stuff gives me the creeps!

D
OP Offline
D
This isn't about my ego. When I am no longer of value or use to the student, I don't see anything wrong at all with them going to another teacher. The thing is, I've only had her 2 years. There was nothing I needed assistance with and there were no problems between us. Each year that she wrote an exam with me her marks went higher and higher. Interesting to note that the final exam she took while taking side lessons from this other teacher, she received her lowest mark ever.
I'm not saying that I own my students, but why can't I be at least upset that some random teacher feels that they can just swoop in and offer their services? Does this mean I can go offer my services to any random student because I feel I can teach them better?

It's called competition - what made America great!

C
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
C
I'm not saying that I own my students
Not in so many words, but there's a vibe we're getting.
but why can't I be at least upset that some random teacher feels that they can just swoop in and offer their services?
I don't think anyone's saying you can't be upset. But whether it's helpful is another question.

Du holde Kunst...
Originally Posted by currawong
I don't think anyone's saying you can't be upset. But whether it's helpful is another question.
Agreed. Emotions and teaching just don't go together.

D
OP Offline
D
I'm not from America, but if what this teacher did was in the name of competition, then I'm free to solicit students from any teacher now right? A student is free to roam from teacher to teacher and there is no consequence to taking a student from another teacher...is that what I'm understanding?

E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
I'm not from America, but if what this teacher did was in the name of competition, then I'm free to solicit students from any teacher now right? A student is free to roam from teacher to teacher and there is no consequence to taking a student from another teacher...is that what I'm understanding?

Would you want a system of laws and regulations that made it otherwise? You get gigs, you lose gigs. Live with it.

T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
The "no multiple teachers" control freak clause is, besides being creepy, simply bad business. To my ears it screams inferiority complex and insecurity on the part of the teacher who apparently implicitly believes that his or her teaching will only be retained if comparison to potentially superior alternatives is forbidden. Those teachers I know with such clauses around here are the desperate ones begging for students (and tend to be the ones that, as soon as they find a potential student, force them to sign up for a year in advance and to pay for lessons not taken).

Teachers would be smarter to put their efforts into delivering superior value and building deep relationships with their students (and parents) in order to retain them rather than try to control others through onerous -- and ultimately anti-student welfare -- contract terms and conditions.

Perhaps if you did not have that clause, you would still have this student who might soon tire of their Polish adventure. Instead, your inflexible contract terms have cost you a star student.

Last edited by theJourney; 09/07/10 07:08 AM.
It's funny about this multiple teacher thing - my teacher has in fact suggested I do some lesson with other teachers in order to benefit from what others have to offer in terms of expertise.

I can't understand the idea that to learn you MUST be with one teacher only. Sure... there can be a primary teacher - but supplementary lessons with someone else can only aid learning?

Yes. The student (or their guardian) should be able to tell the more suitable teacher. Jeez, you always go with the same make of car? Should it be illegal to switch?

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,183
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission