Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1510481 - 09/06/10 10:56 PM Alternative tunings
ericmthompson Offline

Loc: Harrisburg, PA
I have a question that I am having a difficult time finding an answer to.

A note on a piano is made by the hammer striking sometimes more than one string. Is there any alternative tuning where these strings are not tuned in unison, but, say, an octave (or more) above/below? I realize this would take a different gauge of string, but it seems like it should be possible. Even more experimental, could these strings be tuned harmoniously, say, one a fifth above the other. You may get a drawbar organ-like sound, hearing the partial above the note.

Am I way out of line thinking this or is this an actual technique? If so, I'd like to hear some examples!

(ad PTG 568) Win a Year Journal Subscription
PTG 57th Annual Convention - Atlanta
#1510550 - 09/07/10 01:14 AM Re: Alternative tunings [Re: ericmthompson]
Chicago Tuning Offline

you probably are making your assumption by example of 12 string guitar ... but guitar is a much limited instrument in comparesing to a piano. In pianos you can find all twelve notes of musical spectrum repeated in 6 different octaves. you can play your octaves and all kinds of harmonies, using even one hand. by playing chords with both hands you can achieve the most complicated mix of sounds. use of sustain pedal improves it even more. biggest composers and pianists found a piano complete enough for writing and expressing their music. in a way, piano is the perfect musical instrument. it has been developing for centuries, but in its main principal staid the same for last 150 years...
adding some new strings would be overdoing it. plus, there are some other technical problems with applying your theory to reality. for example, thickness of those strings for one note must be different, and hammer will not strike them with the same power. and many other engineering difficulties will accure. i hope, i answered your question for you.

#1510623 - 09/07/10 06:58 AM Re: Alternative tunings [Re: ericmthompson]
Robert Scott Offline

Loc: Minnesota
You could not get the octave above by changing string gauge. A thinner string will produce about the same pitch as a thicker string if tuned to the same percentage of its breaking point (unless we are talking about wound strings). To get such a substantial change in pitch, you would have to alter the length of the string.

#1510721 - 09/07/10 10:24 AM Re: Alternative tunings [Re: ericmthompson]
UnrightTooner Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Bradford County, PA
Eric:

I have thought about giving tuning a string on each note down an octave (where possible) on a project piano just to see. One technique I use to rejuvenate bass strings involves tuning a string down an octave and playing it loudly a number of times before bringing it back up to pitch. It is quite a sound!

Doing this on an entire piano would make it a “prepared” piano and would not sound like a normal one. Fifths would not work very well except for music written especially for such a tuning.

#1510921 - 09/07/10 04:57 PM Re: Alternative tunings [Re: ericmthompson]
ericmthompson Offline

Thanks guys! You bring up a lot of points that I didn't think about; in order to get one of the strings down an octave, it would have to be a different string all together (whether that be string length or string tension) and that would cause problems with the overal construction of the piano or the hammer itself, respectively. I guess I am viewing it from the standpoint of a 12-string guitar, but moreover, I'm looking at it as a novelty sound, much like a tack piano or a piano with a mandolin pedal (that produces an echoing effect by bouncing hammers off the strings). I realize you can just play the octave and be done with it, but I thought this concept would be an embellishing effect more than a practical design hahaha I've messed around using some sampled pianos to get the octave sound (just layering two instruments, one down an octave from the other) and it sounds bold and raspy, pretty cool. I'm more about acoustic instrumentation, but I guess to design an instrument like this wouldn't be worth the effort; you could more easily just double track a recording haha Thanks for the insight though! If you ever come across something in real life like this, please do tell, I'd be highly interested to hear the results!

#1510988 - 09/07/10 06:10 PM Re: Alternative tunings [Re: ericmthompson]
Silverwood Pianos Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Vancouver B. C. Canada

This is probably not what you are looking for but maybe you should have a chat with this guy. He seems to find unique uses for music instruments.

Maybe you two could come up with something…….

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhp6P9Ygsoc&feature=player_embedded
http://www.facebook.com/SilverwoodPianosDotCom
"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur."

#1510996 - 09/07/10 06:25 PM Re: Alternative tunings [Re: ericmthompson]
DoelKees Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Vancouver, Canada
One way might be to clamp an object to the string at one of the nodes to get the effect of harmonics (as on a guitar). If you put it in the middle the string should play an octave higher.

Kees

#1511725 - 09/08/10 08:04 PM Re: Alternative tunings [Re: ericmthompson]
ericmthompson Offline

@Silverwood: Oh that video is too cool! I love unique instrument-creation like that!

@Kees: Yes! That sounds like a viable, non-destructive way to test out the sound. Now I just need to snag a free upright from somewhere hahah

#1512026 - 09/09/10 07:08 AM Re: Alternative tunings [Re: ericmthompson]
UnrightTooner Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Bradford County, PA
Originally Posted By: ericmthompson
@Silverwood: Oh that video is too cool! I love unique instrument-creation like that!

@Kees: Yes! That sounds like a viable, non-destructive way to test out the sound. Now I just need to snag a free upright from somewhere hahah

They aren't hard to find: Free Kimball Piano. I mention this because you are close enough that you may come up this way, and far enough that I won't be called to tune it. laugh laugh laugh

#1512576 - 09/09/10 11:41 PM Re: Alternative tunings [Re: ericmthompson]
DoelKees Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Vancouver, Canada
It will not damage the piano, so you don't need a throw-away piano for it. Search for "prepared piano" for more info.

Kees

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
European Piano Party 2014, Picts & Stories! (Piano Party in Portugal)
-------------------
75,000 Members and Growing!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(ad) Purely Piano Practice Software
Purely Piano Practice Software
(ad) Piano Guide Lessons
Piano Guide Lessons
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
73 registered (Belen, AZNpiano, 26 invisible), 1084 Guests and 17 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75334 Members
42 Forums
155765 Topics
2286947 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Would you buy a restored water damaged piano?
by upbeat
Today at 01:00 AM
Looking for Complete Gershwin Songbook
by Tony Romo
Today at 12:26 AM
Casio Privia PX850
by TX-Bluebonnet
Today at 12:19 AM
You can't make an action lighter
by Del
Yesterday at 11:38 PM
Damper Regulation difficulty
by lotsofquestions
Yesterday at 11:19 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission