2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
69 members (Alex Hutor, AndyOnThePiano2, amc252, brennbaer, accordeur, antune, anotherscott, benkeys, 10 invisible), 1,724 guests, and 307 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
OP Offline
I am interested in learning Mily Balakirev’s “The Lark”, a transcription of a song by Glinka. This piece of music is not on the Royal Conservatory of Music syllabus, and I am considered substituting it as an “Own Choice” selection for an ARCT examination. Is anyone familiar with this type of substitution? What list would this piece of music be classified under: List C (Romantic era), List D (20 century music), or Concert Etude?

Furthermore, does anyone know if this piece is listed in any other syllabi? I’ve heard that “Own Choice” selections have more clout when they are found in several different syllabi.

On a side note, I absolutely love this piece of music. I was introduced to it, strangely enough, when I googled “child prodigy” and ran across a breath-takingly beautiful performance of “The Lark” by Benjamin Grosvenor. He is one of the most musical young performers I have ever heard in my life. If anyone else is interested, here is the YouTube link to his performance in the BBC Young Musician of the Year competition:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3FJeOaRjZaE&feature=related

Grosvenor plays two Scarlatti sonatas before his performance of “The Lark” – if you don’t want to watch them, skip to about 4:10 in the video...

A thousand thanks!

Lizzy
D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
List C defenitely, never seen it in any syllabus, but it should be ok, great transcription, not too difficult, but 'sing' it as a rrrussian singer would do...

Longtemps, je me suis couché de bonne heure, but not anymore!
OP Offline
Thanks, Dolce Sfogato!

(Pardon me for reviving an old thread, if that`s a crime on this forum...)

Any further insight into the Own Choice Substitution would be much appreciated.

Lizzy
Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
What "further insight" are you looking for?

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
btb Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Thanks for the lead Elizabeth ... I downloaded :The Lark” (more correctly perhaps the Skylark) from IMSLP (7 pages) and followed the racy score in time with the young pianist ... Balakirev was obviously a very nimble-fingered pianist to have dreamt up this arrangement of the Glinka Romance.

It was of interest to read in my reference book

"Balakirev gathered together the group of the Russian Five, consisting of himself, Borodin, Cesar Cui, Mussorgsky, and Rimsky-Korsakov."

"Balakirev (1837-1910) was the only one of the Russian Five who was a trained musician.
It is an astonishing fact that four of these men began their artistic careers as amateurs.
Cui was an authority on military science, Rimsky-Korsakov a naval officer, Borodin a surgeon of repute, Mussorgsky an army officer. Balakiref himself in his youth studied law."

OP Offline
Originally Posted by "BruceD"

To be specific:

Does RCM grade candidates according to their choices as well as their performances of the piece?

I don't have the current syllabus, and it's not available online... I'm not sure exactly what an Own Choice substitution involves. Do you have to contact RCM in writing before an exam? Are you allowed to substitute one piece per exam?

Thanks in advance!

Lizzy
Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
Originally Posted by Elizabeth_Bennet
Originally Posted by "BruceD"

To be specific:

Does RCM grade candidates according to their choices as well as their performances of the piece?

I don't have the current syllabus, and it's not available online... I'm not sure exactly what an Own Choice substitution involves. Do you have to contact RCM in writing before an exam? Are you allowed to substitute one piece per exam?

Thanks in advance!

EB :

Here is what the current syllabus says :

" Substitutions
As outlined in the chart below, candidates may make substitute selections for their examination. If approval is required, candidates must submit an Examination Substitute Piece Request (available online) by the Examination Registration deadline. Candidates are advised to prepare an alternate work in case the request is denied.
Teacher's Choice
[Not applicable to you, as it applies to selections from Grades 1 through 8].
Own Choice
For Grades 9 to ARCT, the substitute repertoire selection must be of equal difficulty, length, and musical quality to works in the appropriate Syllabus list for that grade, and it must be from the same historical style period. The mark for the performance of this selection will include an assessment of the appropriateness of the choice. For this reason, RCM Examinations will not answer questions or give advice regarding Own choice substitutions.

The "chart" refered to states, for ARCT in Piano Performance:

Requires Prior Approval :
One repertoire selection from piano literature comparable in style and difficulty to the corresponding List A, B, or C.

Does Not Require Prior Approval
One Own Choice selection may replace a piece from List D or E."

If you think, then, that the Balakirev is a list C piece, then you will need prior approval. If you consider it a List D piece, then you do not need prior approval. Notwithstanding an opinion already expressed, I would think it would well qualify for a List D piece, but that's a decision you'll have to make for yourself.

At the risk of appearing somewhat impolite, might I say that I think that someone preparing for an examination as significant as the ARCT would make a point of getting a copy of the Syllabus for herself and knowing the pertinent parts thoroughly, rather than seeking information from those online who might - unintentionally - misquote or mistype critical information that you may need.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
Well, so much for trying to help someone by giving her the information she asked for!

I guess I'll not do that again.

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
Originally Posted by BruceD
Well, so much for trying to help someone by giving her the information she asked for!

Remember the time that sort of happened to me? smile

A new poster, someone I didn't know, asked a detailed question about a piece that I know well, so I gave a detailed answer.

No reply for several days.
I decided it hadn't been worth my work, and said essentially that I wouldn't do it again (for someone I didn't 'know').

Consensus seemed to be that I was being too sensitive, or something.

But we make our own judgments and decisions. smile

BTW: Seeing how Elizabeth doesn't necessarily look here that often, I'd guess she will see it and acknowledge it eventually.....

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Hmm.. perhaps Elizabeth did not appreciate being "scolded" online, even though BruceD seems to be right, as always?? smile

or the scolding worked and she is no longer looking online, at all..

or perhaps she has not been back to read the responses yet..

I say continue being generous in responding to people, sans expectations of online gratitude..

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member

Thanks in advance!

laugh

Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
Originally Posted by LisztAddict

Thanks in advance!

laugh

Yeah, right!

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
what is with all the scolding..

that is a lovely piece, such an unusual choice for a boy. he plays it exquisitely.

(also thanks for the reminder of the beauty of K 141 Scarlatti).

accompanist/organist.. a non-MTNA teacher to a few

love and peace, Õun (apple in Estonian)
C
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by Andromaque
...or perhaps she has not been back to read the responses yet..
The user list shows she hasn't been back since her last post, a few days ago. We don't know why. Not everyone is able to check online anytime they want, and Real Life can often get in the way. I know it's a little vexing when you go to some trouble to answer a query and get (so far) no response, but don't stop your helpful answers, Bruce - we love 'em! smile

Du holde Kunst...
Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
Originally Posted by currawong
Originally Posted by Andromaque
...or perhaps she has not been back to read the responses yet..
The user list shows she hasn't been back since her last post, a few days ago. We don't know why. Not everyone is able to check online anytime they want, and Real Life can often get in the way. I know it's a little vexing when you go to some trouble to answer a query and get (so far) no response, but don't stop your helpful answers, Bruce - we love 'em! smile

Those "user lists" seem to be incomplete and, if one is relying on them, very misleading. EB has posted since my informative rant on this thread. It's interesting that looking for her posts by clicking on her name from this thread doesn't show her posts on the other; and looking for her posts by clicking on her name on the other thread doesn't show her posts on this one.

Perhaps she's using different computers.

But, hey, I'm not losing sleep over it. I was just venting and no doubt over-reacting, that's all. It's over now.

Cheers!

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
....I was just venting and no doubt over-reacting.....

..... = "artist," more or less. smile

Welcome. ha

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Mark_C
....I was just venting and no doubt over-reacting.....

..... = "artist," more or less. smile

Welcome. ha

MEa culpa.. I just can't resist sometimes.. smile

OP Offline
Dear Mr. BruceD,

My sincerest thanks for taking the time to post the information I requested! I do appreciate it very much and I am sorry I did not respond sooner. I just don’t have the time to check PianoWorld everyday...

Lizzy

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,244
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission