Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) End Stage Fright
End Stage Fright
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1511460 - 09/08/10 11:46 AM Hammers have become muffled/dull
Mark Davis Offline
500 Post Club Member

I went to a clients house today to do some service work which he requested for me to do on 3 of his pianos. He has 7 pianos in total. Apart from the pianos which I worked on, the client asked me to assess his Albert Fahr grand for the reason that the hammers have become muffled overnight. The piano has always had a mellow/not to bright sound/tone.

Overnight the hammers have become muffled/wooly, particularly the middle range of the piano. The hammers need a light filing because they have 1-2mm grooves in them.

The client is an extremely accomplished pianist and plays on all of his pianos regularly. The Albert Fahr grand is one of five pianos in a single room. The room has a stable environment.

Why would the hammers become muffled/wooly?

Advice would be much appreciated!

Best regards

(ad 568) Win a Year Journal Subscription
Win a year subscription to the PTG Journal
#1511483 - 09/08/10 12:26 PM Re: Hammers have become muffled/dull [Re: Mark Davis]
UnrightTooner Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Bradford County, PA
I would say something happened with the una corda. The hammers are no longer hitting where the strings have already packed the felt, but a bit between the grooves where the softer ridges are. They still might benefit from reshaping, but I am betting that if the una corda is adjusted, or the paper clip or whatever that is hanging it up is removed, then the tone will return to normal.

#1511544 - 09/08/10 02:23 PM Re: Hammers have become muffled/dull [Re: Mark Davis]
Mark Davis Offline
500 Post Club Member

Hello Jeff

Thank you! What you have said sounds like the answer. I will have to have a closer inspection. One would think that pulling the action out and then pushing it back in might have solved the problem if something was stuck inside the piano/cavity somewhere, but obviously not! I will have a closer look when I return to his house.

Best regards

#1511689 - 09/08/10 06:59 PM Re: Hammers have become muffled/dull [Re: Mark Davis]
Sparky McBiff Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Toronto, Ontario
I was about to suggest that perhaps it was a missing cat that was to blame.
But since I am not a piano technician (can you tell) I'll go with Jeff's suggestion. blush

#1511786 - 09/08/10 09:12 PM Re: Hammers have become muffled/dull [Re: Mark Davis]
Jbyron Offline

Loc: USA
Someone may have had a wedge or shim of some kind keeping the action where they wanted it. It's possible that when you slid the action out and back in it removed the shim.

#1512273 - 09/09/10 02:50 PM Re: Hammers have become muffled/dull [Re: Mark Davis]
Mark Davis Offline
500 Post Club Member

Jeff I spoke with the client today and told him what you had said in your post above and the client then said he knows that the mechanism is moving towards him (forward) a certain amount when the una corda pedal is depressed. So Jeff, you were half right!?!

I will be returning to the clients house in the very near future and then will assess the matter more thoroughly and do the necessary adjusting/repair.

Thank you

Take care

#1512704 - 09/10/10 08:02 AM Re: Hammers have become muffled/dull [Re: Mark Davis]
UnrightTooner Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Bradford County, PA
Mark:

Thanks for the update. Sounds like a problem with the pins going into the cheek blocks, or the cheek blocks are moving themselves. The keyframe should only move side to side as I am sure you know. It’s all part of the una corda. Let us know how it turns out.

A while ago I tuned a small grand that had a screwed down key frame. It had to be put exactly back into position to sound right. It may not be much of a piano, but is so important to the owners that they gave up their dining room table to make room for it. So when they have company, they use the grand to eat off of!

#1512710 - 09/10/10 08:14 AM Re: Hammers have become muffled/dull [Re: Mark Davis]
Les Koltvedt Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Canton, MI
I recently tuned a small grand and was having trouble tuning the right unisons in the upper register. The sound was very weak and when I pulled on the right string, I got no change (which can open your eyes in a hurry). I peered at the hammers while striking the note and the hammer was only hitting 2 strings. At first I thought maybe the una corda mechanism was caught on something, so I removed action and inspected. Looks like the hammers where never spaced to the strings, they were nicely grooved as is. Had been that way for years. No going back now.
PTG Associate

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
129 registered (36251, alex-kid, ando, Almaviva, anotherscott, 39 invisible), 1380 Guests and 45 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74206 Members
42 Forums
153518 Topics
2249719 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Buzz-project: How do composer earn big money?
by talfi composer
3 minutes 7 seconds ago
A question about app.box
by LarryShone
Today at 07:08 AM
Re-stringing an 84yr old Grand.....?
by Grandpianoman
Today at 01:56 AM
Theme identification
by Polyphonist
Today at 01:26 AM
Morning Mist: a ballade for piano
by JoelW
Today at 12:27 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission