2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
68 members (Bellyman, Barly, 1957, btcomm, brennbaer, CharlesXX, Animisha, bobrunyan, 13 invisible), 1,985 guests, and 345 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by tangleweeds
Originally Posted by Little_Blue_Engine
I think its easy to forget later on how exciting it was to hear anything that sounded remotely like music come out of a piano when you were the one "playing" it.

Thanks for that reminder. It brought back some great memories! smile
I feel like a total dork when I think about how much delight I got out of just playing chords from my favorite songs. Not even a full measure, just a chord! whome

I'll figure it out eventually.
Until then you may want to keep a safe distance.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by CebuKid
Originally Posted by Rui725

I know who you are referring to. It's unfortunate he does not practice more on an acoustic instrument.

Yes, I've talked to him before too (via YouTube). I've called him an "adult prodigy", which if he's truthful with his length of experience, makes him a prodigy in my book. I've also encouraged him to make a video on an acoustic, but he told me he didn't have access to one.

What's his YouTube channel?

1991 Baldwin Hamilton 243
Casio Privia PX750
S
S
It's really as simple as they are playing outside of their general skill level. A year and a half ago I could play fairly well the first half of the Maple Leaf. Now I still can't play the whole piece. I was playing this way outside my skill level a year and a half ago.

However, it was fun and exciting to be able to do that so early on. I think it is good for motivation, but it's bad to continually learn stuff outside of your skill level, because I don't think you will learn as quickly.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by SpencerF
It's really as simple as they are playing outside of their general skill level. A year and a half ago I could play fairly well the first half of the Maple Leaf. Now I still can't play the whole piece. I was playing this way outside my skill level a year and a half ago.

However, it was fun and exciting to be able to do that so early on. I think it is good for motivation, but it's bad to continually learn stuff outside of your skill level, because I don't think you will learn as quickly.

The 1st section of MLR is quite simple actually, and it gave me a false sense of being better than I actually was. I skipped to the 3rd strain (the trio), and was humbled instantly. The trio is known as one of Joplin's most difficult sections. I still can't play it at tempo. frown

MLR will be the 4th rag that i learn. smile I would've never attempted it as my 1st. YOu should give it another go now that you're more experienced.

PS-This very topic is a highly debated discussed topic here. Just look up "playing pieces over your head."

Last edited by CebuKid; 09/10/10 07:40 AM.

YouTube Channel
Scott Joplin Repertoire

Music washes away from the soul
the dust of everyday life.
- Berthold Auerbach

[Linked Image]
H
H
In my case, I started by taking a piano class in high school, where I went through one of the adult beginner's books (maybe Alfred's)... very easy stuff.

Then within a year or so, I was playing Liszt's 2nd Hungarian Rhapsody along with some Rachmaninoff, Beethoven, Chopin, Debussy, etc.

I think it helped that I had grown up playing trombone, so I naturally had an "ear" for music and could read bass clef without a problem. Still, I'd put myself in the category of technically able, but not musically mature enough to play those pieces at the time. I could get through the Hungarian rhapsody at tempo, but it wasn't very nuanced.

Now, I've mellowed out a little, and I'm working my way back up through pieces that I can actually expressively play (currently polishing off Clair De Lune properly), and working on some pieces at the level that I can sightread (Bach and such). That seems to be helping. In the meantime, I've forgotten how to play most of the Hungarian rhapsody and the rest, but someday I'm sure I'll be ready for them again.

A
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
A
I'm guilty of this.

I was never in band and had no musical training.

I've played on my own without lessons by ear on a digital piano since 2001-2002. My repertoire consisted of children's songs for my daughter and a few basic renditions of pop songs. I learned to read the treble clef but not in real time.

When I started actual lessons last year my teacher found my dynamic control and finger skills were well beyond someone just starting lessons because of all of the "by ear" simple stuff I did.

I now play original versions of Maple Leaf Rag, Linus and Lucy, and a lot of other non classical intermediate stuff really well, yet I consider myself a beginner. I learn those things just as quickly as simple stuff because I hate the simple stuff because it's boring to my ears. I play over my level but I know that and am fine with it.

So when I do this I'm trying to give an accurate description of my "beginner" status as well as acknowledge that I in no way think I'm nearly as good as many of the people posting in recitals etc.

Acoustic: Yamaha C6 with AdSilent
Digital: Yamaha N3X, Kawai VPC1 with Pianoteq
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by AlphaTerminus

I now play original versions of Maple Leaf Rag,

thumb

R
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
R
Originally Posted by Hendrek
In my case, I started by taking a piano class in high school, where I went through one of the adult beginner's books (maybe Alfred's)... very easy stuff.

Then within a year or so, I was playing Liszt's 2nd Hungarian Rhapsody along with some Rachmaninoff, Beethoven, Chopin, Debussy, etc.

I think it helped that I had grown up playing trombone, so I naturally had an "ear" for music and could read bass clef without a problem. Still, I'd put myself in the category of technically able, but not musically mature enough to play those pieces at the time. I could get through the Hungarian rhapsody at tempo, but it wasn't very nuanced.

Now, I've mellowed out a little, and I'm working my way back up through pieces that I can actually expressively play (currently polishing off Clair De Lune properly), and working on some pieces at the level that I can sightread (Bach and such). That seems to be helping. In the meantime, I've forgotten how to play most of the Hungarian rhapsody and the rest, but someday I'm sure I'll be ready for them again.

Our of curiosity by playing do you mean they were at performance level after a year?

H
H
I never performed them except for family. I've never actually performed anything, so I'm not exactly sure what it means. I could play them, but like I said, I was just playing notes, more than I was playing the music. I was practicing a lot though at the time.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,386
Posts3,349,204
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission