2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
30 members (Animisha, brennbaer, Cominut, crab89, aphexdisklavier, fullerphoto, admodios, busa, drumour, Foxtrot3, 4 invisible), 1,182 guests, and 269 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
H
OP Offline
H
What's the chord in the fourth measure of op. 16 no.6? It looks like FCE with F#C but it sounds so wrong! It tried it with F#CE and it sounds right but that's not how it's notated so what is it?

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
In my score the left hand has C & F# and the right hand (bottom to top) reads E, F#, C, E.

Private Piano Teacher
MTNA/NJMTA/SJMTA
M
M
Looking at this edition http://www.freesheetmusic.net/rachmaninov/Moments%20Musical_6.pdf both the Fs are sharp.

B
B
You have to keep in mind how fast the music goes by. The F sharp quickly resolves to G, so I would see the F sharp as a non-harmonic tone.

In fact, I would think of the first 4 measures as all being a C major chord, with an inner melodic line created by a series of non-harmonic tones, each of which quickly resolves to a chord tone.

Anyway, that's one way of looking at, and possibly the most useful way in terms of actually learning the piece.

You could, of course, also stop to analyze each chord quality along the way, and that might have some value too. In that case, I would like to think of the chord in question as a sort of polychord—meaning two chords sounding at the same time: C major and F sharp half-diminished seventh.

I think it sounds wrong to you because you're reading the piece slowly, not hearing how quickly those 32nd notes go by. Also, you have to hear that F sharp as a melody note (a repeat of the melody note in measure 2, in fact) not just as harmony.

Make sense?

B
B
After writing all that, I just realized I misunderstood your question! Silly me. Yes—both hands should be playing F sharp.

H
OP Offline
H
No worries Brian, your post was still very informative! But I still get how their both F# I clearly see that the lowest note on the right hand is an E with a # sign which is F... I'll just play it as and F# then. Thanks guys! smile

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by How you doing?
No worries Brian, your post was still very informative! But I still get how their both F# I clearly see that the lowest note on the right hand is an E with a # sign which is F... I'll just play it as and F# then. Thanks guys! smile

Look closely: The sharp sign is in line with the third ledger line below the staf which is F, therefore it's F#.

Joe Whitehead ------ Texas Trax
M
M
Originally Posted by How you doing?

For absolute clarity, there is both an E and an F# in the right hand.

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,179
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission