Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
82 registered (Al LaPorte, András Lieber, 36251, AndyJoe, Adypiano, 21 invisible), 1233 Guests and 17 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#1514500 - 09/13/10 06:48 PM NO SOLICITATION!
Stanny Offline
1000 Post Club Member

UGH!

Nearly every day last week, I've had at least one lesson per day interrupted by someone trying to sell something or to ask me to vote for someone. I need a sign for the door, evidently, that says do not disturb, lessons in progress. Does anyone have anything clever I can use?

Independent Music Teacher
Certified Piano Teacher, American College of Musicians
Member: MTNA, NGPT, ASMTA, NAMTA

(ad) Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#1514505 - 09/13/10 07:01 PM Re: NO SOLICITATION! [Re: Stanny]
eweiss Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Beautiful San Diego, CA
Just get a "no soliciting' sign. But that won't stop most Jehovah's Witnesses. smile

#1514514 - 09/13/10 07:11 PM Re: NO SOLICITATION! [Re: Stanny]
bitWrangler Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Central TX
get a camera and keep a small lcd by the piano, if you don't recognize the person, ignore them. this along with some type of sign.

#1514544 - 09/13/10 07:48 PM Re: NO SOLICITATION! [Re: Stanny]
Ebony and Ivory Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Minnesota
A no solicitors sign should do it for most of them, kids don't usually pay attention to it though, you're stuck buying cookies lol. As far as the JW, I called the city once about it because they are such a nuisance and they told me that after you tell them not to come back one time and they do come back, you can charge them with trespassing. I told them that, and they haven't been back since smile

Professional private piano teacher since 1994.

#1514565 - 09/13/10 08:22 PM Re: NO SOLICITATION! [Re: Stanny]
david_a Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Many of the door-to-door religious people feel themselves under very great social & moral pressure to make their visits. Nearly every person involved in a door-to-door religion is also of quite limited intelligence, but in general they are not bad people and they don't truly want to hurt or bother anyone when it's pointed out to them. Talking directly to these people and explaining the situation, i.e. you don't want them to come back, is probably the best solution.

A sign saying lessons are in progress means to them "I'm busy just now, but please come back later." You'll need to actually talk to them, once, to get your point across.

#1514581 - 09/13/10 08:54 PM Re: NO SOLICITATION! [Re: Stanny]
Overexposed Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Stanny,
I don't have a clever answer for these solicitors. But your post reminds me of a recent situation. I was teaching an afternoon lesson, and the doorbell rang. I asked the 10 year old student if he saw anyone come to the door (since my back was to the window, but he had an easy view out the window). He said he thought it was "a man with a backpack". It sounded creepy to me and I didn't answer the door.

The caller rang 3 or 4 times, and we ignored it. (My studio is in the front of the house so it was obvious that we were ignoring the caller.) Later I had a phone call and it turns out my dog had gotten out and a neighbor had come by to return him to me. LOL!

So my plan to just ignore the doorbell isn't always the best solution either.

Too bad we end up stuck in the house pretending we're not home. That happened on Sunday. I got in from a walk and saw the nicely dressed young couples (Bible in hand I presumed) making their rounds of the neighborhood. I got in and wanted to start my practice, yet felt I needed to hide out and wait until they passed. I ended up getting my husband to answer the door--as he has an easier time of just saying "No thanks" and closing the door.

#1514584 - 09/13/10 09:00 PM Re: NO SOLICITATION! [Re: Stanny]
Stanny Offline
1000 Post Club Member

So I guess this wouldn't do the trick? ;-)

It's not really so much the bible thumpers. It's people wanting me to buy things. All the school fund raisers have started. They can look right through the front door window and see me teaching. I could use "Lessons in progress, do not disturb." What I want to say is "If I did not specifically invite you to my home today, DO NOT ring the doorbell. Turn around and LEAVE."

I even got woken up from a VERY rare Sunday afternoon nap last weekend. GRRR!

#1514647 - 09/13/10 11:16 PM Re: NO SOLICITATION! [Re: Stanny]
MoodyBluesKeys Offline

Loc: Trent Woods, NC
Sign:

WARNING
VICIOUS
DOG

DOORBELL
UNLOCKS
DOG
CAGE

thumb
JBL 10&15 EONG2s, EV SxA100+s QSC K10s, HP & ThinkPad DAWs, eMu 1820M & 1616M.
Epi Les Paul & LP 5str Bass, Trace amp-cabinets.
Formerly in electronic keyboard repair trade - semi-retired

#1514792 - 09/14/10 08:47 AM Re: NO SOLICITATION! [Re: Stanny]
Overexposed Offline
2000 Post Club Member

That reminds me. My son has a sign on his bedroom door that says:
WARNING: No Trespassers
Trespassers will be shot
Survivors will be shot again

Could sustitute the word SOLICITORS for Trespassers.
smile

#1514805 - 09/14/10 09:17 AM Re: NO SOLICITATION! [Re: david_a]
D4v3 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Fort Worth, Texas
Originally Posted By: david_a
Many of the door-to-door religious people feel themselves under very great social & moral pressure to make their visits. Nearly every person involved in a door-to-door religion is also of quite limited intelligence, but in general they are not bad people and they don't truly want to hurt or bother anyone when it's pointed out to them. Talking directly to these people and explaining the situation, i.e. you don't want them to come back, is probably the best solution.

A sign saying lessons are in progress means to them "I'm busy just now, but please come back later." You'll need to actually talk to them, once, to get your point across.

Why did I think your a bigot when I read this?

Some of my compositions

#1514820 - 09/14/10 09:57 AM Re: NO SOLICITATION! [Re: Stanny]
Nannerl Mozart Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Australia, Melbourne
D4v3 I agree.. that is quite a prejudice remark. I know quite a few JWs, and quite a lot with a high level of intelligence! (One who did post grad studies in mathematics and another who is working as a solicitor!) :P

btw Stanny JWs don't believe that Jesus died on a cross so I dont think that sign seems to be aimed at them.

They are interesting to listen to, even if you don't agree, ... I've had quite a few interesting conversations with them!

#1514834 - 09/14/10 10:36 AM Re: NO SOLICITATION! [Re: Stanny]
Plowboy Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: SoCal
The Last time the Witnesses came to see me I started talking to them about His Imperial Majesty, Emperor Haile Selassie I, King of Kings, Almighty Jah, The One True Living God. They looked at me like I was nuts, backed away slowly and have yet to return.

#1514864 - 09/14/10 11:19 AM Re: NO SOLICITATION! [Re: Stanny]
D4v3 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Fort Worth, Texas
While I am not a JW, I am thinking to myself, is this thread really devolving into these types of comments? From "no soliciting" to tips on how to scare away religious door to door people which are insulting?

Some of my compositions

#1514892 - 09/14/10 12:16 PM Re: NO SOLICITATION! [Re: Stanny]
bitWrangler Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Central TX
In my neck of the woods the #1 door to door types are environmentalists looking for people to sign petitions/donate to their cause. Second is local kids primarily selling coupon books for school/sports. We see JW maybe every couple of years. Personally I don't mind the JW and overall they seem to be better equipped to "stray from the script" than the youngsters the environmental groups send out. Nothing like seeing the smoke come out their ears when you start to go into the issues in depth vs the superficial training they seem to get. Overall though, most everyone tends to be polite and when we say "no", they generally say "thank you" and move on.

#1514902 - 09/14/10 12:32 PM Re: NO SOLICITATION! [Re: Stanny]
Morodiene Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Boynton Beach, FL
You hand paint a sign in all capital letters: "TRESPASSERS WILL BE VIOLATED".

OK, maybe not appropriate for a business that works closely with families, but it would certainly keep solicitors away. wink
Petrof 9'2 Concert, Yamaha G3, Roland FP-7, Yamaha MOX6, Kawai MP11

#1514923 - 09/14/10 01:14 PM Re: NO SOLICITATION! [Re: D4v3]
MrHazelton Offline

Loc: CT
Originally Posted By: D4v3
Originally Posted By: david_a

Why did I think your a bigot when I read this?

I caught that too. +1

#1514943 - 09/14/10 01:31 PM Re: NO SOLICITATION! [Re: MrHazelton]
david_a Offline
2000 Post Club Member

I apologize for sounding harsh. In the area where I live, it is the plain and simple truth. I am not bigoted - I've been living and working with people in door-to-door religions for quite some time, including my former boss and my next-door neighbor. They are in general nice people and I enjoy their company. If things have worked out better in the places where you all live, that's good news and I'm glad to hear it.

#1514973 - 09/14/10 02:06 PM Re: NO SOLICITATION! [Re: Stanny]
Lollipop Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Georgia
Perhaps a simple sign on your door that says "Lessons in progress. Please do not disturb unless it is an emergency. Thank you."

In our subdivision, the entrance sign says "no soliciting." That cuts down on everyone except the children selling things and the foreigners who say, "but I have a license to do this."

[When I opened this thread, I was expecting a rant about students selling things. I'm getting quite frustrated over the number of students who want me to buy their cookies, wrapping paper, magazines, etc, for school, soccer, etc. And they look so hurt when I say no. However, last week a parent came by selling cookie dough, and asked me to pick out my favorite. Her son has to sell 10, so she's buying all ten, and using them as teacher presents this Christmas!]

#1514998 - 09/14/10 02:40 PM Re: NO SOLICITATION! [Re: Lollipop]
Morodiene Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Boynton Beach, FL
Originally Posted By: Lollipop

[When I opened this thread, I was expecting a rant about students selling things. I'm getting quite frustrated over the number of students who want me to buy their cookies, wrapping paper, magazines, etc, for school, soccer, etc. And they look so hurt when I say no. However, last week a parent came by selling cookie dough, and asked me to pick out my favorite. Her son has to sell 10, so she's buying all ten, and using them as teacher presents this Christmas!]

That's a nice idea for your student to do! I only have one or two per year that sell me stuff, and I don't mind supporting them in what they're trying to do. I remember as a child hating to have to do those fund raisers. As long as it doens't get out of hand (which it hasn't thus far) then I can continue to support them.
Petrof 9'2 Concert, Yamaha G3, Roland FP-7, Yamaha MOX6, Kawai MP11

#1515008 - 09/14/10 02:49 PM Re: NO SOLICITATION! [Re: Lollipop]
John v.d.Brook Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Loc: Olympia, Washington, USA
Originally Posted By: Lollipop
When I opened this thread, I was expecting a rant about students selling things. I'm getting quite frustrated over the number of students who want me to buy their cookies, wrapping paper, magazines, etc, for school, soccer, etc. And they look so hurt when I say no. However, last week a parent came by selling cookie dough, and asked me to pick out my favorite. Her son has to sell 10, so she's buying all ten, and using them as teacher presents this Christmas!

This is why you need an annual enrollment fee - to cover these small, miscellaneous expenses. Then you can gladly, wholeheartedly, support your student's fund raising efforts. It's really the parents, but only you know that!

#1515270 - 09/14/10 08:22 PM Re: NO SOLICITATION! [Re: Stanny]
Jeff Clef Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: San Jose, CA
I have had pretty good luck with telling Witnesses, "Thank you, but no."

Just because the doorbell or phone rings does not mean we have to answer it. No answer at the door conveys its own message.

Most of the door-to-door 'school fundraising' visits from strangers have sounded like scams to me, and the answer is, "No." But when my neighbor's kid does this once or twice a year, I buy out his stock... and give the candy bars or cookie dough away. Let someone else get fat; I've done my part.

BTW, this young school-age lad (with his mom along) is usually raising money to keep the music program alive at his school. We all know these programs have been de-funded; this is one cause I find all-too-believable.

I did not think the reply to the OP sounded like bigotry as much as annoyance... being acquainted with both, I do see a difference. However, being both patient and civil helps with both cases.

#1515272 - 09/14/10 08:26 PM Re: NO SOLICITATION! [Re: Stanny]
eweiss Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Beautiful San Diego, CA
The JW's knocked on my door once and left a pamphlet. The secomd time, they just passed by my door - and I have no idea why. I felt left out. smile

#1515308 - 09/14/10 09:29 PM Re: NO SOLICITATION! [Re: Stanny]
Nannerl Mozart Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Australia, Melbourne
eweiss they could have possibly be doing other areas that day or following up on interest. I agree Jeff Clef, a "thank you I'm not interested works very well.

#1515526 - 09/15/10 03:33 AM Re: NO SOLICITATION! [Re: Stanny]
david_a Offline
2000 Post Club Member

In my experience, specifically asking the religious proselytizers not to come back has been an essential part of getting them to in fact not come back. Simply saying "Thank you, I'm not interested" has several times been interpreted as "Thank you, I'm not interested at the moment but please do come and see me again another time". After very kindly informing them that I wasn't interested and would they please not come back, I haven't had any knocks on the door for that reason in at least three years.

Going door to door for one's religion can't be easy. I'm sure there must be a lot of responses that are outright hostile, and I don't think they deserve that. They're just trying to do what's required of them.

#1515719 - 09/15/10 11:01 AM Re: NO SOLICITATION! [Re: Stanny]
KurtZ Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: The Heart of Screenland
The crack about religion and intelligence reminded me of a classic Bob Newhart gag:

"Speaking of music, I don't really like country and western music...Oh, but don't think I'm trying to denigrate anyone who DOES like country and western music...Oh, and if you DO like country and western music, denigrate means to put down or make fun of."

Kurt

#1515973 - 09/15/10 05:20 PM Re: NO SOLICITATION! [Re: Stanny]
Stanny Offline
1000 Post Club Member

OMGosh it happened again!

This time it was a young adult with a bunch of cleaning supplies (looked like she was selling). She saw me through the window as I waved her away, but she kept standing there ringing. Then she started whistling.

I asked her to leave. Nicely.

I went back to teaching and she stayed there knocking at the door!!! I went back out with my camera phone and said "I'm taking your picture to send to the police if you do not leave." She muttered, cussed under her breath and left.

GRRR!

#1515983 - 09/15/10 05:32 PM Re: NO SOLICITATION! [Re: Stanny]
david_a Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Wow! You seem to have had quite a few bad ones there lately.

I hope your luck with "visitors" improves.

#1515989 - 09/15/10 05:36 PM Re: NO SOLICITATION! [Re: Stanny]
Ebony and Ivory Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Minnesota
Originally Posted By: Stanny

I asked her to leave. Nicely.

I went back to teaching and she stayed there knocking at the door!!!

Seriously??? That is the epitome of rudeness. Wow.

Just curious, DO you have a No Solicitors sign?

Professional private piano teacher since 1994.

#1516034 - 09/15/10 06:22 PM Re: NO SOLICITATION! [Re: Stanny]
Stanny Offline
1000 Post Club Member

I just added one this afternoon. Just handwritten, but hopefully it will do the trick.

#1516076 - 09/15/10 07:17 PM Re: NO SOLICITATION! [Re: Stanny]
ProdigalPianist Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Phoenix Metro, AZ
If you really want to end the JW visits, I used to be one (full time)* and I can tell you how. Telling them 'no thank you' will not discourage them from returning. Putting up signs about lessons in progress probably will not either, as from their point of view, the information they are trying to give you is the most important thing in the universe.

If you want to stop their visits (more or less) permanently, tell them "Please put this house on you Do Not Call list." (use that exact phrase). If you Really want to be sure, find out what the address of your local congregation is, and mail them a letter to that effect. In that letter, it helps to specifically say you do NOT want them calling on you periodically (ie-yearly) to see if you still want to be a Do Not Call (or they do that).

*FWIW, In defense of David_A it is true that the JW Organization strongly discourages more than the minimum of education legally required. Critical thinkers generally do not last long as a member of the group. I would not say they were dumber than the average resident of the area where we lived at the time, but they definitely mock "intellectuals" (of course, a lot of religious groups do that back there).

My only domestic quality is that I live in a house.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Ken Knapp 
What's Hot!!

Trade Regrets:
Barry "Bear" Arnaut

(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
(ad) Piano Music Sale - Dover Publications
Piano Music Sale
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Problem with mothergoosetools.com website
by daniokeeper
Today at 02:33 AM
New piano student
by IWG.
Today at 01:18 AM
Technique for holding down chords
by DeadPoets
Yesterday at 11:07 PM
Steingraeber A170 vs. Steinway M - appreciate helpful input
by ElaineAllegro
Yesterday at 09:26 PM
Rachmaninov Sonatas - 1 vs 2?
by iObsessed
Yesterday at 08:07 PM
Forum Stats
77053 Members
42 Forums
159359 Topics
2340931 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission