Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#1514107 - 09/13/10 02:49 AM Re: Virtue sucks... [Re: tangleweeds]
jotur Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Santa Fe, NM
I'm impressed, tangleweeds, and good luck, and keep it up thumb

Cathy

(ads P/S)

Petrof Pianos

#1514110 - 09/13/10 02:59 AM Re: Virtue sucks... [Re: tangleweeds]
Basia C. Offline

Loc: Sweden
That's not a depressing post at all. You ARE doing a great job. thumb thumb and thumb again. A really great job! The first month without cigarettes is definitly hard, and many many people give up and start smoking again. I am thrilled that you are not one of them, and I am sitting here cheering for you.

I think you have a good approach and you have an understanding of that your body is missing the nicotine, and not really behaving as you would like it too. smile Hang in there, you are right in that it will become easier and that your brain will learn how to how to apprechiate piano and other enjoyments again with time. BTW, are you getting you sense of smell (olfaction?) back? I have heard many smokers who have been happy about suddenly sensing a lot of scents that they didn't notice before they quit smoking.

Happy to hear that you are sight-reading a lot. That's not bad at all, and will definitly benifit your playing in a long time perspective. I have a feeling that your enjoyment of piano will be coming back little by little. One day you will simply notice a detail in your technique that you feel an urge to improve, or notice a section in a piece that is so beautiful or fun that you just have to work on it. In the mean time I think you are doing the right thing in rewarding any piano time at all.

If you want to motivate yourself a little extra with piano, maybe you could set a date for something that you really need to prepare? For example decide to prepare and memorize some christmas song songs for Christmas, set a time to bring your keyboard and go busking, or find someone to play a duett with. If you don't feel like it, it's perfectly ok. Just some suggestions if you want to give yourself some extra motivation for working on stuff. Having a deadline, and someone to share the music with could be helpful for awakening some inspiration.

#1514345 - 09/13/10 02:00 PM Re: Virtue sucks... [Re: Basia C.]
JimF Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: south florida
Good work Tangleweeds. Keep it up.

Basia,
Quote:
and go busking

??????????? confused

Estonia L190 #7284

#1514353 - 09/13/10 02:09 PM Re: Virtue sucks... [Re: JimF]
Basia C. Offline

Originally Posted By: JimF
Good work Tangleweeds. Keep it up.

Basia,
Quote:
and go busking

??????????? confused

grin Not sure if it my English that is lacking, if you don't connect busking with pianos, or if you have doubts about how fun and entertaining it is?...

Busking on Wikipedia

Tangleweeds was mentioning having access to a keyboard, so that would be portable enough to bring along for some street performance.

Edit: Ok, I was maybe not entirely serious, but the idea in general is excellent! smile

Edited by Basia C. (09/13/10 02:11 PM)

#1514356 - 09/13/10 02:19 PM Re: Virtue sucks... [Re: Basia C.]
elecmuse3 Offline

Loc: Cincinnati
Here in Cincinnati at the moment, we have pianos out on the streets!!!
http://www.streetpianos.com/
for the general idea and
http://www.streetpianos.com/cincinnati2010/pianos/music-hall
for pics and video of one of them!
Please look on the artist's website to find out if your city is scheduled for an installation, and if not, inquire about it. It's a great idea!
Busking is possible with these pianos, although being donated, they tend not to be wonderful instruments. And, of course, depending on your city's regulations, you can take a battery operated keyboard out.

#1514394 - 09/13/10 03:28 PM Re: Virtue sucks... [Re: Basia C.]
BenPiano Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: US
Originally Posted By: Basia C.

Thanks for the wiki link. I followed it to another page on Joshua Bell, and one of the references was this article on Bell busking in Washington DC as an experiment.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/04/04/AR2007040401721.html

The experiment: would anyone stop to listen to a world renowned violinist perform some of the greatest masterpieces on a $3 million Stradivarius in a subway station during morning rush hour?

Only a few people stopped, and only one recognized him. I wouldn't have recognized him, but I would like to think I would have stopped.

#1514396 - 09/13/10 03:29 PM Re: Virtue sucks... [Re: Basia C.]
JimF Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: south florida
cry --headslap-- oh, of course. thumb

I must live under a rock, never heard the term used before.

Estonia L190 #7284

#1514415 - 09/13/10 03:58 PM Re: Virtue sucks... [Re: tangleweeds]
tangleweeds Offline

Silver Supporter until Jan 11 2012

Loc: Portlandia
I've always loved that Joshua Bell story -- it reminds me to pause to appreciate the world around me as I go about my business.

neglected piano blog

#1514709 - 09/14/10 03:00 AM Re: Virtue sucks... [Re: tangleweeds]
Basia C. Offline

JimF, I have no idea about how common the term might be. smile I picked it up over at violinist.com, maybe even in connection with the Bell story.

Tangleweeds & BenPiano, I am not really surprised over the Bell story. It is quite reasonable that we pay attention to the most important things in our environment. When walking through the subway, it is much more important to make sure we don't trip or bump into other people and to make sure we get to the right train. Especially, during rush hours. I guess our brain cannot take in so much information at a time.

I completely agree with Tangleweeds that we should try to take the time to appreciate things...

(BTW, if you now swedish, read "When the beauty came to the village" by Nils Ferlin. It's about noone appreciating beauty or laughter since they are so busy working and doing serious stuff.)

#1514755 - 09/14/10 06:16 AM Re: Virtue sucks... [Re: tangleweeds]
jotur Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Santa Fe, NM
There was actually a piano busker in Boulder, CO, a couple of years ago - she had an upright out in their pedestrian area smile And someone here on PW one time asked about pianos that might work for busking and got advice on how to make an upright "portable." I haven't done it with a keyboard yet, tho I've used a battery operated 76-key keyboard for playing outside with Roaring Jelly. I think it'd be fun smile

I wasn't really surprised at the Joshua Bell story, either, given the venue. People stop more often on the plaza here in Santa Fe. More of the people are on vacation, or out on their lunch hour, and have time to linger some.

But I agree with tangleweeds, it's good to be reminded that we have more opportunities than we often use to take a moment to not be so "busy" and enjoy a busker, or a shop window, or a fresh bakery smell smile

Cathy

#1516067 - 09/15/10 06:59 PM Re: Virtue sucks... [Re: tangleweeds]
Strings & Wood Offline

Gold member until Dec. 2012

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: tangleweeds
By giving me a mental image of myself sitting at a grand piano puffing on a cigar? Effective deterrent, that...
(visualization aid: I am a middle-aged lady with very long hair)

I quit smoking six times. There was always an excuse to start smoking again. The last time (34 years ago) I used cigars to quit smoking. I would only smoke one when the craving was intense. That lasted about six months. After 34 years I think I can safely say I have kicked the habit... I wish you well with your battle. It sounds as if the hard part is close to being done, but watch out for those traps. For me, they were usually when I was out having the most fun. Good luck!

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
Our latest Issue is available now...
Piano News - Interesting & Fun Piano Related Newsletter! (free)
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
100 registered (Art_Vandelay, Atrys, Austin D, AndrewJCW, AZNpiano, 29 invisible), 1366 Guests and 20 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75553 Members
42 Forums
156219 Topics
2294229 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Happy Birthday Cinnamonbear!
by Kuanpiano
Yesterday at 11:17 PM
Finger "Tapes": Purpose?
by CleverName
Yesterday at 10:56 PM
Accessories needed for grand pianos.
by Stevio55
Yesterday at 08:31 PM
Schulze Pollmann 113e Moderno detail information?
by pdxfz1
Yesterday at 07:12 PM
Will starting on unweighted keys cause problems later on?
by Alex1
Yesterday at 05:43 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission