Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1516305 - 09/16/10 02:43 AM Used Yamaha P120 price
Dara Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: west coast island, canada
I recently bought a grand piano and feel I no longer need my digital piano . It's 5 years old, rarely been played, kept dust free, and in very clean shape. It just turned out not to be the instrument for me.

Wondering if anyone could give me a rough idea of a selling price to ask for. When I bought this keyboard, prices were quite high at the time - The P120 in Canada was $1600. + almost $2000 taxes.

Would half that amount now ($800) seem a reasonable price to ask for, or is there more devaluation, because of price drops over the years. I have no idea , because I haven't followed the followed the digital piano market.

At the time I purchased the P120 I was simply looking for the best 'grand piano' sound in a portable DP, and this was what was available in my area that I liked. In advertising this DP for sale , do knowledgeable musicians here know , if this model was considered a good make or would still hold up in the current market for someone wanting to purchase a DP for the 'grand piano' feature?

Thanks very much for any/all response.

(ads) Sweetwater / Roland
Yamaha Keyboards for Performance and Composition

Click Here

#1516349 - 09/16/10 05:14 AM Re: Used Yamaha P120 price [Re: Dara]
Dara Offline
1000 Post Club Member

I am posting part of a message below, which I sent in a PM to a member here on the forum. Haven't heard back yet, which is okay.
Thought I'd repost it here , just in case anyone may care to respond. Thanks.

I just posted a thread about 2 hours ago in the digital piano forum, re: used Yamaha P120 price
I am trying to get a rough idea on an asking price on selling a 5 year old P120 in excellent shape - hasn't been outside of my house, and rarely played.
I don't know if this was appropriate to ask this in the DP forum.
Apart from price , I am curious if the P120 was regarded as a decent DP, specifically for it's touch and tone for grand piano simulation. I bought it originally , looking for the best 'grand piano' sound in a portable DP , at an affordable price for me. I ask this , because I want to know if I can recommend this DP , to someone with an interest in learning piano, in the small community I live in. I don't really care to much about what price I can get for it - would like to feel that I'm passing along something of value to a newcomer to pianos.
Because I've never followed the DP market and progression , I have no idea the changes over the past few years in technology, since I purchased the P120.
I discovered, after my purchase that acoustic piano was and remains the instrument of choice for me.
So I saved , researched, and purchased a grand piano.
It seems I may not receive a response on the DP forum, it's rather a self serving thread...
But wondered if you may have a moment at some point to respond.
Thanks, Dara

#1516353 - 09/16/10 05:29 AM Re: Used Yamaha P120 price [Re: Dara]
Dave Horne Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Vught, The Netherlands
Dara, I'll just give you some general information. I've played a P120 but that was years ago. You're correct in thinking that 50 percent of the original price is a good starting point.

What you could do, see what others are asking for the same piano. Also, spend a little time looking at brand new models (online, of course) and compare what you have with what is being sold. You'll probably wind up lowering your selling price somewhat.

Since you're probably not in a hurry, sell your P120 at the price you think is fair and just wait until someone is interested.

mp3\wav files

AvantGrand N3, CP5

#1516465 - 09/16/10 10:03 AM Re: Used Yamaha P120 price [Re: Dara]
dewster Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Northern NJ
We recently sold our P120 to a student for $400 USD. Never gigged, pristine condition, still had the shipping box and all the packing.

We bought it new for $1200 or so, and I figured 1/3 retail for a DP introduced in 2001 was more than fair (for the buyer).

#1516495 - 09/16/10 11:07 AM Re: Used Yamaha P120 price [Re: Dara]
ChrisA Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Redondo Beach, California
Originally Posted By: Dara
..give me a rough idea of a selling price to ask for. When I bought this keyboard, prices were quite high at the time - The P120 in Canada was $1600. + almost $2000 taxes.

Would half that amount now ($800) seem a reasonable price to ask

What you paid for it does not matter. A potential buyer will compare your piano to what is available new in the stores. Half of the CURRENT new price of a similar piano is reasonable. The P155, which is the model that replaced the P120 sells for $1,200 new. Half of that would be $600.

Edited by ChrisA (09/16/10 11:08 AM)

#1516502 - 09/16/10 11:25 AM Re: Used Yamaha P120 price [Re: ChrisA]
LesCharles73 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Denton Texas
...And this is considered to be a good make/model, especially considering its age. The P120 was (arguably) Yamaha's best mid-level slab piano until the P155 came along.

#1516518 - 09/16/10 11:57 AM Re: Used Yamaha P120 price [Re: ChrisA]
dewster Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Northern NJ
Originally Posted By: ChrisA
The P155, which is the model that replaced the P120 sells for $1,200 new. Half of that would be $600.

Which is what I might consider paying for a used P155. Certainly less for a used P120, which is why we sold it for $400.

#1516525 - 09/16/10 12:14 PM Re: Used Yamaha P120 price [Re: dewster]
ChrisA Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Redondo Beach, California
Originally Posted By: dewster
Originally Posted By: ChrisA
The P155, which is the model that replaced the P120 sells for $1,200 new. Half of that would be $600.

Which is what I might consider paying for a used P155. Certainly less for a used P120, which is why we sold it for $400.

It's all about location. If you live in the sticks selling prices will be low or maybe you can't even sell a digital piano. In the big East and West coast cities there are millions of people literally with in a few miles.

I good indicator of the local demand for musical instrument is the number of nearby retail stores offering musical instruments. We have five within an easy drive (15 minute or less) from the house. I'm told there are places where the number is zero. Likely the demand is lower there.

If you are in one of those zero store places maybe use eBay rather then Craigslist to sell the piano.

#1516853 - 09/16/10 07:46 PM Re: Used Yamaha P120 price [Re: ChrisA]
Dara Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Thanks very much for the responses and advice regarding asking price. This gives me a better idea on the current value of my DP. Almost seems worthwhile to just keep it, but it also seems a waste for something in good working order to be sitting unused, when someone else could get enjoyment from it.

#1517026 - 09/17/10 03:47 AM Re: Used Yamaha P120 price [Re: Dara]
Dave Horne Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Vught, The Netherlands
Almost seems worthwhile to just keep it, but it also seems a waste for something in good working order to be sitting unused, when someone else could get enjoyment from it.

Do what I do, I typically sell my stuff for a price that can't be refused. You make someone happy and you get some money.

mp3\wav files

AvantGrand N3, CP5

#1517393 - 09/17/10 04:42 PM Re: Used Yamaha P120 price [Re: Dara]
sarahsays Offline

Loc: Utah, USA
The P120 is a quality instrument, you can always list it at that price and see what the response is. Adjust accordingly and give yourself some wiggle room to negotiate. Have you researched what the P120 is selling for used on the net?

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Steinway Austria Benjamin BE-117
by bmc100
09/20/14 03:59 AM
Trinity ATCL exam questions
by slava_richter
09/19/14 09:54 PM
JBL LSR305 monitors too noisy for DP usage?
by Emiliano
09/19/14 09:52 PM
Pletnev - Poise under duress
by vers la flan
09/19/14 07:34 PM
Chopin Op 10 No 6
by Cheeto717
09/19/14 07:08 PM
Who's Online
44 registered (Colin Thomson, Beemer, casinitaly, cmoody31, alfredo capurso, 4 invisible), 873 Guests and 14 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76253 Members
42 Forums
157637 Topics
2315440 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission