Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1518023 - 09/18/10 06:33 PM "Easier" Chopin piece - need recommendation
CebuKid Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Hi folks,

I know I "talked" about tackling Chopin months back, but I just don't think I'm ready for a huge Chopin project just yet. I'd like to "ease myself in", and plus, I need a break from these big "project pieces" that take me months to learn...

I am now wrapping up my latest Joplin piece (it's in the polishing stage now), and think it's now time to take a short hiatus from ragtime. (this time I mean it..lol).

Please recommend some, well-known and popular nocturnes, waltzes, marzukas, etc. from Frederic. smile . Something "level 4-ish" or 5-ish (early-intermediate). I will then look them up, and determine which one I like, or better yet, please post a link to a video. Thanks in advanced!

Music washes away from the soul
the dust of everyday life.
- Berthold Auerbach

(ads P/S)

Sauter Pianos

#1518040 - 09/18/10 07:01 PM Re: "Easier" Chopin piece - need recommendation [Re: CebuKid]
packa Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Dallas, TX
Alfred Publishing's Chopin: An Introduction to His Piano Works (edited by Willard Palmer) is a well-edited collection of Chopin's easier pieces along with an introductory essay about the music and its performance. Among the famous Preludes (Op. 28), Nos. 4, 6, 7, and 20 are included here, along with several waltzes, nocturnes, mazurkas, and polonaises. Most of the pieces are only one or two pages. The complete contents are listed here.
Estonia L168 #1718

#1518074 - 09/18/10 08:24 PM Re: "Easier" Chopin piece - need recommendation [Re: CebuKid]
TheHappyMoron Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: UK
op 9 no 2 tends the be a common one to learn which i wouldn't say is too tricky.

#1518100 - 09/18/10 09:00 PM Re: "Easier" Chopin piece - need recommendation [Re: CebuKid]
ChopinAddict Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Land of the never-ending music
Some of the easiest pieces include the Prelude Op.28 No.4, the waltzes No.17 and 18, and Op.34 No.2, the mazurkas Op.68 No.3 and 4,...

Music is my best friend.

#1518102 - 09/18/10 09:06 PM Re: "Easier" Chopin piece - need recommendation [Re: CebuKid]
Frozenicicles Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Canada
Chopin is very different from Joplin because it really has a lot more to it than playing the notes. You need to pay attention to balance in the voices, rubato, pedaling, phrasing, and dynamics in such a way that the piano sounds like a singing instrument rather than a percussive one. I played Op. 28 No. 4 while I was doing level 7 RCM, which was my first exposure to Chopin. Starting on that one was a good experience because it allows you to work on all of the above without worrying about the difficulty of "just getting the notes." Although I hated it at the time (I thought it was deathly boring), I managed to get second place at a festival and the adjudicator really liked it.

#1518103 - 09/18/10 09:07 PM Re: "Easier" Chopin piece - need recommendation [Re: CebuKid]
Tubbie0075 Offline
500 Post Club Member

My teacher assigned op. 27 no. 2 as my very first Chopin piece to learn. I'm now at 4th out of 6 pages with the piece. It is tricky but less than I initially expected. As I've not played other Chopin pieces before, i can't tell if there's an esier one.

In my humble opinion, even with technically easier Chopin pieces, it is difficult musically.

Good luck!

#1518104 - 09/18/10 09:07 PM Re: "Easier" Chopin piece - need recommendation [Re: CebuKid]
Tubbie0075 Offline
500 Post Club Member

My teacher assigned op. 27 no. 2 as my very first Chopin piece to learn. I'm now at 4th out of 6 pages with the piece. It is tricky but less than I initially expected. As I've not played other Chopin pieces before, i can't tell if there's an esier one.

In my humble opinion, even with technically easier Chopin pieces, it is difficult musically.

Good luck!

#1518111 - 09/18/10 09:25 PM Re: "Easier" Chopin piece - need recommendation [Re: Frozenicicles]
CebuKid Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Frozenicicles
Chopin is very different from Joplin because it really has a lot more to it than playing the notes. You need to pay attention to balance in the voices, rubato, pedaling, phrasing, and dynamics in such a way that the piano sounds like a singing instrument rather than a percussive one. I played Op. 28 No. 4 while I was doing level 7 RCM, which was my first exposure to Chopin. Starting on that one was a good experience because it allows you to work on all of the above without worrying about the difficulty of "just getting the notes." Although I hated it at the time (I thought it was deathly boring), I managed to get second place at a festival and the adjudicator really liked it.

Hi Icicles, yup, I realize that Romantic/Classical requires much a much different skill-set than Joplin. I am "sort of" classically trained in a sense having played mostly classical pieces (Bach, Beethoven, Listz, etc.) as a kid. smile

In my return to piano, I started to play "where I left off" classical-wise with easier Beethoven pieces, but haven't delved into Chopin yet. I still do love ragtime of course because it suits my "mechanical" and percussive nature (I played the drums too), and it's kind of cool being the minority here. smile

I do love Chopin, though, and really want to start playing and learning his works. Come October, I'll be in "year 3" as an adult re-starter, so I think it's time I expand my repertoire.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions so far. smile

- Berthold Auerbach

#1518115 - 09/18/10 09:33 PM Re: "Easier" Chopin piece - need recommendation [Re: CebuKid]
Andy Platt Online   content
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Virginia, USA
Opus 28, no. 7. "The Polish Dancer". Short, very very beautiful and around grade 4 level. You'll find a discussion about the "big" chord going on right now:
Help with Chopin!

Kawai K3

#1518137 - 09/18/10 10:15 PM Re: "Easier" Chopin piece - need recommendation [Re: Andy Platt]
CebuKid Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Andy Platt
Opus 28, no. 7. "The Polish Dancer". Short, very very beautiful and around grade 4 level. You'll find a discussion about the "big" chord going on right now:
Help with Chopin!

Yes, I saw that thread! I love this piece. I just printed it out. It's the winner! Short and sweet.

thumb

I honestly don't think I'm ready for Op. 9 No. 2...yet. (but I have dabbled with it...finished about 8 measures).

Edited by CebuKid (09/18/10 10:16 PM)

- Berthold Auerbach

#1518198 - 09/19/10 12:27 AM Re: "Easier" Chopin piece - need recommendation [Re: CebuKid]
Rui725 Offline
500 Post Club Member

I would recommend Chopin Waltz No.19 in A minor, Op.posth.P2 No.11 (BI 150). Opus 27 no. 2 is incredibly difficult, wouldn't recommend dabbling with that one. I recommend Waltz because its of moderate length, not too short or too long, and has some characteristic Chopin flourishes that is found in his other works. As sweet and short as the Op. 28 No. 7, there's not as much to be learned from it in my opinion.

#1518206 - 09/19/10 12:36 AM Re: "Easier" Chopin piece - need recommendation [Re: Rui725]
Frozenicicles Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Canada
Originally Posted By: Rui725
... As sweet and short as the Op. 28 No. 7, there's not as much to be learned from it in my opinion.

I would like to respectfully disagree. smile There is much to be learned from it. Namely: voicing, phrasing, dynamics, pedaling, a pp touch, rubato, theory... (All of which Cebukid would benefit from learning before tackling harder stuff) Good choice, CebuKid! thumb

#1518216 - 09/19/10 12:48 AM Re: "Easier" Chopin piece - need recommendation [Re: Frozenicicles]
Rui725 Offline
500 Post Club Member

... As sweet and short as the Op. 28 No. 7, there's not as much to be learned from it in my opinion.

I would like to respectfully disagree. smile There is much to be learned from it. Namely: voicing, phrasing, dynamics, pedaling, a pp touch, rubato, theory... (All of which Cebukid would benefit from learning before tackling harder stuff) Good choice, CebuKid! thumb

Ok I agree! How about this, just try both!

#1518220 - 09/19/10 12:54 AM Re: "Easier" Chopin piece - need recommendation [Re: Frozenicicles]
CebuKid Offline
1000 Post Club Member

You know, you 2 are both awesome at Romantic/Classical stuff, and I respect both of your opinions.

The notes are extremely easy in this piece...hell, even I can sight-read this piece..lol. But, I'd have to go with Icicles on this one. If you listen to professional interpretations (like Valentina Igoshina's), there's a lot of dynamics and tone control needed to play this nicely. These are, by my own admission, skills that I severely lack. This is a very good primer. @Rui, I'll have to check Chopin Waltz No.19 in A minor..in fact, I'll print the sheet the right now. smile

- Berthold Auerbach

#1518222 - 09/19/10 12:58 AM Re: "Easier" Chopin piece - need recommendation [Re: Rui725]
CebuKid Offline
1000 Post Club Member

By the way, earlier today, my daughter's teacher played the 1st few measures of Fantasie Impromptu today after the lesson. She is working on this piece next...
OMG..it sounded SO awesome. She really made that cheap Chinese piano of mine sing. I told her when she's done that I'd like to record her and publish her video on my YouTube channel. Nothing beats a live performance from a good player.

Perhaps that's why I'm suddenly on this Chopin kick again. grin

- Berthold Auerbach

#1518340 - 09/19/10 09:10 AM Re: "Easier" Chopin piece - need recommendation [Re: CebuKid]
Strings & Wood Offline

Gold member until Dec. 2012

Loc: USA
Hi CebuKid

I picked OP, 28 No. 4 for my first Chopin piece. The notes came relatively easy but I am still working on the dynamics. The left hand is just maddening to me. Occasionally, it will come together and moves me like no other music that I play. Chopin is like that for me. There is no other composer that resonates with me the Chopin does.

Most of Chopin's music is beyond my skills so I intend to work my way through the preludes and then maybe I will be able ready for some of the nocturnes that I so love.

#1518351 - 09/19/10 09:37 AM Re: "Easier" Chopin piece - need recommendation [Re: Strings & Wood]
Rui725 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Strings & Wood
Hi CebuKid

I picked OP, 28 No. 4 for my first Chopin piece. The notes came relatively easy but I am still working on the dynamics. The left hand is just maddening to me. Occasionally, it will come together and moves me like no other music that I play. Chopin is like that for me. There is no other composer that resonates with me the Chopin does.

Most of Chopin's music is beyond my skills so I intend to work my way through the preludes and then maybe I will be able ready for some of the nocturnes that I so love.

Chopin's Preludes vary a lot in difficulty. Working your way through" all of them may not the best idea.

Edited by Rui725 (09/19/10 10:37 AM)

#1518356 - 09/19/10 09:46 AM Re: "Easier" Chopin piece - need recommendation [Re: Rui725]
Strings & Wood Offline

Gold member until Dec. 2012

Loc: USA
Your right, I should have qualified that statement to read "working my way through the preludes that present themselves within my reach" smile

#1518360 - 09/19/10 09:51 AM Re: "Easier" Chopin piece - need recommendation [Re: CebuKid]
lilylady Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: boston north
Mazurka 24 / 1

Only two pages. Not easy, but a nice first one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3u9IjlZnIs (ashkenazy)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjTwFhtuO6Q (rubinstein)

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Hammer Weight
by Miguel Rey
10/02/14 01:39 PM
Two Hand Line Technique Help
by Herwiberde
10/02/14 01:00 PM
AvantGrand N2/3 Update......
by Pete14
10/02/14 12:50 PM
Dealer exchanging piano?
by cherublace
10/02/14 12:19 PM
Looking for some help buying a digital piano, Yamaha 105/142
by Shadowbadger
10/02/14 12:12 PM
Who's Online
154 registered (András Lieber, ajames, accordeur, 36251, AmateurBob, 43 invisible), 1624 Guests and 15 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76404 Members
42 Forums
157956 Topics
2319637 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission