Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1518346 - 09/19/10 09:19 AM Schumann's Romances, Op. 28
loveschopintoomuch Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Illinois
I just heard these lovely pieces and was overwhelmed by their beauty. I think I can play the slower "easier" one. wink Does anyone know where I might get a copy of the sheet music on-line? Many thanks.

Best to all,
Kathleen

(ad) Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#1518349 - 09/19/10 09:32 AM Re: Schumann's Romances, Op. 28 [Re: loveschopintoomuch]
stores Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Here, as opposed to there
IMSLP?

"And if we look at the works of J.S. Bach — a benevolent god to which all musicians should offer a prayer to defend themselves against mediocrity... -Debussy

"It's ok if you disagree with me. I can't force you to be right."

♪ ≠ $

#1518353 - 09/19/10 09:38 AM Re: Schumann's Romances, Op. 28 [Re: loveschopintoomuch]
TheHappyMoron Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: UK
I'm not sure whether you can get the music online but i got it from a charity shop, and the first and second pieces aren't as difficult as they sound, but i cannot speak for the thrid one as i have never played it. They're very beautiful though, no.2 being my favourite. smile

#1518354 - 09/19/10 09:40 AM Re: Schumann's Romances, Op. 28 [Re: loveschopintoomuch]
TheHappyMoron Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Oh, and there is a good chance there are hidden messages in these pieces.

#1518474 - 09/19/10 01:53 PM Re: Schumann's Romances, Op. 28 [Re: loveschopintoomuch]
BruceD Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Victoria, BC
Originally Posted By: loveschopintoomuch
I just heard these lovely pieces and was overwhelmed by their beauty. I think I can play the slower "easier" one. wink Does anyone know where I might get a copy of the sheet music on-line? Many thanks.

Best to all,
Kathleen

All of Schumann's piano music is available online at IMSLP.

Regards,

#1518497 - 09/19/10 02:17 PM Re: Schumann's Romances, Op. 28 [Re: TheHappyMoron]
MathGuy Offline

Loc: California
Originally Posted By: TheCannibalHaddock

I always figured Op. 28 No. 2 (the one in F#) is the encapsulated story of Robert and Clara. First the two of them sing their theme in close harmony. Then Papa Wieck shows up in the bass to tell them they can't see each other any more; things get a bit stormy, but with a surprise modulation to G he relents, and the two lovers are singing together again. But wait, it's sounding stormy again, they're having a fight, and, and... they apologize to each other, and a reassuring II-V-I cadence tells us everything's OK now. Then they sing their song one last time -- except this time a third little voice pipes up in the treble. It finally fades away with repeated C#s at an octave, like two hearts beating together.

I don't usually hear those kinds of stories -- or anything else that could be put into words -- in a piece of music (unless it really is a "song"), but the program seems very close to the surface in this one.

#1518525 - 09/19/10 03:00 PM Re: Schumann's Romances, Op. 28 [Re: MathGuy]
TheHappyMoron Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: MathGuy

I always figured Op. 28 No. 2 (the one in F#) is the encapsulated story of Robert and Clara. First the two of them sing their theme in close harmony. Then Papa Wieck shows up in the bass to tell them they can't see each other any more; things get a bit stormy, but with a surprise modulation to G he relents, and the two lovers are singing together again. But wait, it's sounding stormy again, they're having a fight, and, and... they apologize to each other, and a reassuring II-V-I cadence tells us everything's OK now. Then they sing their song one last time -- except this time a third little voice pipes up in the treble. It finally fades away with repeated C#s at an octave, like two hearts beating together.

I don't usually hear those kinds of stories -- or anything else that could be put into words -- in a piece of music (unless it really is a "song"), but the program seems very close to the surface in this one.

Although this wasn't what i was implying it is a very apt story! i never thought of that before but it seems to fit very well! i am indeed infatuated with the life of Schumann and his relationships, and this idea you have presented seems very idyllic.
Originally though, I was actually referring to the purported cryptic messages Schumann included in some of his pieces, like love notes to Clara and the likes.

#1518542 - 09/19/10 03:34 PM Re: Schumann's Romances, Op. 28 [Re: TheHappyMoron]
BruceD Offline

Loc: Victoria, BC

Although this wasn't what i was implying it is a very apt story! i never thought of that before but it seems to fit very well! i am indeed infatuated with the life of Schumann and his relationships, and this idea you have presented seems very idyllic.
Originally though, I was actually referring to the purported cryptic messages Schumann included in some of his pieces, like love notes to Clara and the likes.

To each his own, I know, but these programmatic "stories" attached to pieces of abstract music do absolutely nothing for me. In some ways, they even seem to trivialize what is really great music. But that's just me, I guess.

Regards,

#1518545 - 09/19/10 03:37 PM Re: Schumann's Romances, Op. 28 [Re: loveschopintoomuch]
TheHappyMoron Offline
1000 Post Club Member

I think the same, i rarely add images or stories to a piece, i was merely commenting that the story indeed related to piece rather well.

#1518623 - 09/19/10 06:04 PM Re: Schumann's Romances, Op. 28 [Re: TheHappyMoron]
pianoloverus Offline

Loc: New York City
I think the same, i rarely add images or stories to a piece, i was merely commenting that the story indeed related to piece rather well.
Maybe, but OTOH the idea of "love" could relate well to half the pieces ever written.

#1518626 - 09/19/10 06:07 PM Re: Schumann's Romances, Op. 28 [Re: loveschopintoomuch]
TheHappyMoron Offline
1000 Post Club Member

It would, but the story posted described each scene with the music, almost like a play! or maybe a silent movie (where the music depicts the scene).
I always get that feeling for Beethoven's Rage Over a Lost Penny.

#1518639 - 09/19/10 06:30 PM Re: Schumann's Romances, Op. 28 [Re: loveschopintoomuch]
ChopinAddict Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Land of the never-ending music
As others have said, IMSLP is the best resource. Here is a link to the Romances Op.28.

Music is my best friend.

#1518666 - 09/19/10 07:37 PM Re: Schumann's Romances, Op. 28 [Re: TheHappyMoron]
MathGuy Offline

Loc: California
It would, but the story posted described each scene with the music, almost like a play! or maybe a silent movie (where the music depicts the scene).
I always get that feeling for Beethoven's Rage Over a Lost Penny.

I have to agree with BruceD that attaching a story as trite as the one I posted for the F# Romanze seems to trivialize it in a way. (At least Beethoven was asking for it when he went with the Lost Penny title instead of just Rondo a capriccio!) On the other hand, Schumann was a very self-aware composer who constantly tossed in little tidbits for listeners to pick up (for example, the quote from the finale of the Appassionata in Kreisleriana No. 4). I think he must have realized, in writing that Romanze, that some listeners would hear the same things I did in it. Of course, he may have done that simply as a diversion to throw people off from its "real meaning". wink

#1518682 - 09/19/10 08:11 PM Re: Schumann's Romances, Op. 28 [Re: MathGuy]
pianoloverus Offline

Loc: New York City

I think he must have realized, in writing that Romanze, that some listeners would hear the same things I did in it. Of course, he may have done that simply as a diversion to throw people off from its "real meaning". wink
Or maybe the piece had no real meaning. I think your story could apply equally well to Chopin's F major Nocturne or the Schumann F major Romance or any piece with with contrasting lyrical and stormier sections.

#1518742 - 09/19/10 10:28 PM Re: Schumann's Romances, Op. 28 [Re: loveschopintoomuch]
carey Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Phoenix, Arizona
I recall reading that Clara Schumann asked one of her sons to play the Romance #2 for her immediately before she passed away. The piece apparently held some significance for her.

I also read that Liszt, on the evening that he died, was heard playing one of the Chopin Nouvelle Etudes. The man certainly had good taste !!

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
U.S. Treasury Auctioning Steinway Art Case Concert Grand
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
105 registered (accordeur, Alex1, AndresD, 32 invisible), 1529 Guests and 18 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75487 Members
42 Forums
156076 Topics
2291950 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Join the false-beat revolution: get your wires straight!!!
by A443
Yesterday at 11:15 PM
What brand of solid string to use?
by Grandpianoman
Yesterday at 10:38 PM
"Rhodes" sound -- variation with volume?
by Charles Cohen
Yesterday at 08:59 PM
That last 10%
by gooddog
Yesterday at 08:24 PM
Hamelin Review from the Mannes Keyboard program in NYC
by Serge Marinkovic
Yesterday at 08:03 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission