2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
58 members (accordeur, brdwyguy, Carey, AlkansBookcase, 20/20 Vision, Charles Cohen, 36251, benkeys, bcalvanese, 6 invisible), 1,908 guests, and 290 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
Soooooo sorry, I heard him play it, even turned pages during practise, no recording, only private, his Op.Clav. should be there, as should his Busoni (Philips), he won't do the Kaikoshuro ever again though, can well imagine, crazy man and music, did you know that G.D.M. was the first to record all the Godowsky/Chopin violations?

Longtemps, je me suis couché de bonne heure, but not anymore!
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
You knew Madge?!?!?!? That's so cool!!!!!

I would have LOVED to have known Madge. And John Ogdon, for that matter.

Heck, I wish I knew ALL these guys, performers of nonstandard repertoire and standard repertoire (and ladies too, Martha Argerich).

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by dolce sfogato
Soooooo sorry, I heard him play it, even turned pages during practise, no recording, only private, his Op.Clav. should be there, as should his Busoni (Philips), he won't do the Kaikoshuro ever again though, can well imagine, crazy man and music, did you know that G.D.M. was the first to record all the Godowsky/Chopin violations?

Wow! Must have been amazing. Yes, I know about his Godowsky recordings. It's funny to me how some people think Hamelin is the only one who can play Chopin-Godowsky! Sure, his performances (especially the live ones) are incredible, but just to name a few more, there's also Grante, Libetta, Hobson, and of course Bolet (who has ownership over all the Chopin-Godowsky transcriptions he recorded, in my mind; though sadly that isn't a lot). If I'm ever in a Chopin-Godowsky mood, I find myself switching to Grante for "that" etude, Hamelin for this one, Madge for another...

To get back on subject, I'll simply say that Roland Pontinen is a fabulous Busoni interpreter too; and also, Brendel has a stunning recording of the Toccata. And don't miss out on Paul Jacobs!

Last edited by Goldberg; 05/29/10 02:34 PM.
W
wr Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by Orange Soda King

I would have LOVED to have known Madge. And John Ogdon, for that matter.

You still can get to know Madge. Here's his email: madge (at) xs4all.nl

I once cooked dinner for John Ogdon - I fear it wasn't enough food, even though he didn't complain.

7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
There's a man named David Saperton who made some good Chopin-Godowsky recordings. Boris Berezovsky is pretty good with Chopin-Godowsky, too. I also have heard some of Hobson's and Bolet's recordings.

Back to the original post, I just bought Ogdon's recording of the concerto! Best $6 I've spent in a while! And I listened to Ohlsson's recording; it's great, too. I also listened to Hamelin's live performance on Youtube... it is wonderful as well, but I just wanted to go with Ogdon because I want to have a greater variety on my iPod. Who knows... I may come back to Ohlsson later; I just don't have any Ogdon yet, and this made a GREAT start with him.

EDIT: (Because of another forum I've circulated for years that frowns HIGHLY on double posting, I just can't do it...) I've read up more on Madge, and I REALLY hope people don't think he's not a good pianist because of his O.C. recording not being on par with Ogdon's, or the review someone said about Madge's recordings in a description of Hamelin's... He's a terrific pianist and a brilliant man. Here's a website giving more info about Madge: http://www.xs4all.nl/~madge/

Last edited by Orange Soda King; 05/28/10 10:38 PM.
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
BUMP: My friend found this recording of the Busoni Piano Concerto and burned it onto CD for me! Kun-Woo Paik, who is apparently already an established concert pianist with a nice career already under his belt, has a recording of it! I don't know the orchestra, conductor, choir, or date of recording yet...

Thanks to the upgrade to 15 minutes instead of 10, I don't have to upload it in NINE parts... LOL!

The other parts should be in related videos. If not, look on my channel.

A
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
A
OMG, it ended just when I was approaching ecstasy.

Nuts! This is truly the landscape of a precious soul, only Elgar's Gerontius (in my experience) come close to Busoni.

Jason
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Sorry, it's 15:30 long, but YouTube rejected me trying to go just 30 seconds over the limit... So I had to squeeze the ending of the first movement with the second movement on the second video. Likewise, I had to split the third movement up. But the second, fourth, and fifth movements are all in one piece. smile

A
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by Orange Soda King
Sorry, it's 15:30 long, but YouTube rejected me trying to go just 30 seconds over the limit... So I had to squeeze the ending of the first movement with the second movement on the second video.

Well okay, but it was very upsetting for Busoni's magnificent 1st movement to suddenly die on me, just when Busoni was summing up the landscape, and preparing us for the next movements.

I went through this twice. I am going out for supper, and I have to be up early tomorrow.

Jason
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,293
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission