Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1518800 - 09/20/10 12:37 AM Haddorff Postcard No.8 with Bach Snippets and Perfect Nanny
Cinnamonbear Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Rockford, IL
Hello, everybody!

Here is this week's episode.

Haddorff Postcard No.8 with Bach snippets

And this week's musical number, which has nothing to do with this week's episode, really, is from Walt Disney's Mary Poppins, an instrumental rendering of the song "The Perfect Nanny," played pretty much note for note from the Mary Poppins Souvenir Song Album from 1963. WinsomeAllegretto's thread about "the first piano piece you remember hearing," caused me to dig out this book! I was drawn to this piece because the 3rds, 4ths, 5ths, and 7ths sound so darn neat in EBVT III. Plus, the tune is so darn cute! The Shermans were geniuses! This recording features my piano with no enhancement. Straight from the microphone to your ear! Well, maybe not that simple, but... here it is:

The Perfect Nanny Music and lyrics by Richard M. Sherman and Robert B. Sherman (Burbank, CA: Wonderland Music Co., 1963)

Haddorff Postcard [No.1] with "Deep Purple"
Haddorff Postcard No.2 with "I Love Her"
Haddorff Postcard No.3 with "Yes, Sir! That's My Baby"
Haddorff Postcard No.4 with "Mistress Murphy's Chowder"
Haddorff Postcard No.5 with "All Alone"
Haddorff - (no postcard) with "He Wipes The Tear From Every Eye" played on the Haddorff
Haddorff Postcard No.6 with "Constantinople"
Haddorff Pictures (no postcard, yet)
Haddorff Postcard No.7 with a couple of Scriabin Preludes

My Piano In EBVT III

Warm regards,
--Andy Strong

Edited by Cinnamonbear (09/20/10 12:42 AM)

#1519401 - 09/20/10 09:08 PM Re: Haddorff Postcard No.8 with Bach Snippets and Perfect Nanny [Re: Cinnamonbear]
carey Online   content
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Phoenix, Arizona
Postcard #8 is hilarious - brilliant - and so true !!

Our piano is located in the living room next to the front door. Last February, while I was "trying" to record a bunch of piano stuff over a period of several days, the phone kept ringing, door-to-door salespersons appeared out of nowhere, the neighbor's dogs barked incessantly, and birds chirped along to the music (loudly) in the large tree in our front yard. Then the wife would come home and ask how my day went...... smokin

You nailed it, Andy !!

The Haddorff sounds wonderful !!

#1519405 - 09/20/10 09:17 PM Re: Haddorff Postcard No.8 with Bach Snippets and Perfect Nanny [Re: Cinnamonbear]
ChrisKeys Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Dallas, TX
Heh. I nearly posted my favorite line out of this postcard, but I caught myself before ruining it for others.

Carey, I understand. A few years ago I paid a professional producer to record me playing on my piano at home. Neighbors came to the door. The weekly NOISY trash pickup made it impossible to record for a short while. Etc. Etc. Argh! We eventually made it through, and with some deft editing a decent CD emerged from the whole thing.

#1521342 - 09/23/10 06:43 PM Re: Haddorff Postcard No.8 with Bach Snippets and Perfect Nanny [Re: Cinnamonbear]
Mattardo Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Great, Andy! Funny, funny, funny!

It sums up my piano playing perfectly - it seems someone or something is always interrupting my playing, whether it's the telephone, neighbors, my girlfriend, or concerned listeners begging me to stop the pain.

I was waiting for the boy at the door to sarcastically ask you how long it would take to raise money for a piano with $2 donations heh heh!

Haddy seems a wonderful piano, as ever. I liked your Bach, by the way!

#1521379 - 09/23/10 07:36 PM Re: Haddorff Postcard No.8 with Bach Snippets and Perfect Nanny [Re: Mattardo]
ChopinAddict Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Land of the never-ending music
Yes, that is so true! Funny and true!
That's why my phone is usually off, and the batteries are out of the door chime... ha
Even worse, when I did a recording, something used to happen in the last couple of measures or so, never at the beginning... cursing

Music is my best friend.

#1521797 - 09/24/10 12:03 PM Re: Haddorff Postcard No.8 with Bach Snippets and Perfect Nanny [Re: ChopinAddict]
Cinnamonbear Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Does anyone know where Canonie is? We haven't heard from him in two or three weeks! frown I am taking attendance!

You know how I like to reference other threads in my posts... Did any of you catch the joke in this episode related to this thread? (Please don't click if you haven't listened to the postcard, yet...)

Just wondering. smile

#1522765 - 09/25/10 11:08 PM Re: Haddorff Postcard No.8 with Bach Snippets and Perfect Nanny [Re: Cinnamonbear]
al-mahed Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Rio de Janeiro
Andy, lovely Bach! Nice tempo, musical sense, melody lines, beautiful tone. I'm learning the first invention now, quite a challenge to bring up both melody lines smoothly.

BTW, very funny episode! smile

Working on: music

#1522919 - 09/26/10 07:03 AM Re: Haddorff Postcard No.8 with Bach Snippets and Perfect Nanny [Re: Cinnamonbear]
Canonie Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Australia
Hello!!!
Oh Andy Hahahahahaha! I think I appreciate your wonderful subtle humour (as distinct from your blatant humour, which is...ummm well...Funny!(mostly))

Listen to postcard before reading spoiler.
Click to reveal..
YOu know I didn't pick IT up until the beginning of the Debussy, as soon as the debussy began I burst out laughing because I could suddenly "hear" the doorbell reference in the opening bar (measure) and then I was waiting for IT with that delicious feeling of anticipation.. laugh But I hadn't noticed anything at all during all the Bach snippets - at least not consciously. Isn't it strange how the mind works? Then of course I went back and listened from the beginning of the postcard and was delighted. Absolutely delighted - Andy you have made my day! I especially liked the miss-hit note on Haddie at end of 2ndBachSnippet - that was lucky wasn't it!? haha. And then The Trill - Brilliant! This touch is the perfect escalation of the idea.
You delivered your musical joke so carefully and perfectly, just subtle enough that one finally gets it by the end. Interesting that you guessed how much I would appreciate all the detail in this - how did you know? I will check your spoiler now and it may tell me. Thank you again!

PS I miss Out-Of-Tune-Haddie.... but then I am a little strange wink

Composers manufacture a product that is universally deemed superfluous—at least until their music enters public consciousness, at which point people begin to say that they could not live without it.
Alex Ross.

#1522922 - 09/26/10 07:14 AM Re: Haddorff Postcard No.8 with Bach Snippets and Perfect Nanny [Re: Cinnamonbear]
Canonie Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Just read all the comments, and spoiler (didn't see the other thread before as I haven't been to pw much lately, as you so kindly noticed smile )

I think that posters have been so traumatized by local attacks of pianus interruptus that they were distracted from noticing how nicely put together this is. Me, I live in an unmarked flat behind a house. So I get no unsolicited interruptions - none! it is lovely smile Your editing gets better and better Andy. Well done.

Composers manufacture a product that is universally deemed superfluous—at least until their music enters public consciousness, at which point people begin to say that they could not live without it.
Alex Ross.

#1523002 - 09/26/10 11:22 AM Re: Haddorff Postcard No.8 with Bach Snippets and Perfect Nanny [Re: Canonie]
Cinnamonbear Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Canonie!!! You are back! See?!?! That is why I missed you! You get all my jokes! laugh

I miss out-of-tune Haddie, too. She was so right in so many ways! I'm glad I have the recordings of her, like a sonic photograph.

Thanks for listening, everybody!

carey and ChrisKeys, you may have caught this, but if you listen carefully in the background, the first time the salesperson is at the door, you can hear a plane flying over. The second time he is there (it is brief) there is a motorcycle going by. When the little boy is at the door, my cat decided to meow. These were all unplanned, spontaneous background noises! Ha-ha-ha!

Mattardo and ChopinAddict, I had my wife read your comments because she could never understand why the phone is always unplugged from the wall when she gets home! grin And, Mattardo, why I get so wry when she starts singing along "doot-dee-doo!" when I am trying to practice! smirk

Al-mahed, fortunately, you heard less than a page of each invention. If you had heard more, your opinion would be different. Due to "pianus interruptus" (thank you Canonie--I did not know it had a name, before...), I have not been able to learn the rest of each piece...

#1523239 - 09/26/10 07:42 PM Re: Haddorff Postcard No.8 with Bach Snippets and Perfect Nanny [Re: Cinnamonbear]
carey Online   content
6000 Post Club Member

"pianus interruptus" ---- what a hoot !!! grin

#1524101 - 09/28/10 04:06 AM Re: Haddorff Postcard No.8 with Bach Snippets and Perfect Nanny [Re: Cinnamonbear]
Baracat Offline

A stupid question laugh
At 3.38 what piece are you playing? laugh

Thumb up if you like it and feel free to leave good comments and subscribe laugh

#1524107 - 09/28/10 04:32 AM Re: Haddorff Postcard No.8 with Bach Snippets and Perfect Nanny [Re: Baracat]
Canonie Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Baracat
A stupid question laugh

I think that is Debussy's Doorbell Prelude, more commonly known as Clair De Lune.

Oops, at 3.38 the piece is actually Bach Invention no. 14 The Doorchimes (this nickname was added many years later and is looked down on by serious pianists)
wink

Alex Ross.

#1524896 - 09/29/10 09:46 AM Re: Haddorff Postcard No.8 with Bach Snippets and Perfect Nanny [Re: Canonie]
Cinnamonbear Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Canonie
Originally Posted By: Baracat
A stupid question laugh

I think that is Debussy's Doorbell Prelude, more commonly known as Clair De Lune.

Oops, at 3.38 the piece is actually Bach Invention no. 14 The Doorchimes (this nickname was added many years later and is looked down on by serious pianists)
wink

As Canonie has expressed, yes, at 3:38 or so, it is Bach Invention no. 14. Sorry Baracat, it was stupid of me to not list the tunes somewhere in the introduction. No one should be expected to know everything in the entire universe from all time! smile In fact, I didn't even know it was no. 14 until Canonie said so, then I had to go look at the others to find out what they were. I usually just open the book and start playing! grin So, here they are, in the order that they appear:

Bach's "Two-Part Inventions," nos. 1, 3, 14; Debussy's "Clair de Lune;" and, Bach's "Two-Part Inventions," no. 4.

I would also like to say that "The Perfect Nanny," by the Shermans, is a perfect composition and needed no improvement, as the Beethoven that I posted earlier this year, did. wink (hee-hee-hee)

Edited by Cinnamonbear (09/29/10 10:54 AM)
Edit Reason: diction

#1525682 - 09/30/10 02:36 PM Re: Haddorff Postcard No.8 with Bach Snippets and Perfect Nanny [Re: Cinnamonbear]
Baracat Offline

Thank you two laugh
Now I have to search for this piece laugh

Thumb up if you like it and feel free to leave good comments and subscribe laugh

#1642137 - 03/16/11 10:43 AM Re: Haddorff Postcard No.8 with Bach Snippets and Perfect Nanny [Re: ChopinAddict]
Cinnamonbear Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: ChopinAddict
That's why my phone is usually off, and the batteries are out of the door chime... ha
Even worse, when I did a recording, something used to happen in the last couple of measures or so, never at the beginning... cursing

Sorry to bump this thread, but there is more comedy to be had! laugh And, it fits so perfectly with ChopinAddict's observation, that I just had to post it!

I was deep in concentration recording a Chopin prelude recently, when my wife walked through the door with an armload of groceries and said...

http://www.box.net/shared/gavkx06ak8

--Andy grin

#1642495 - 03/16/11 08:51 PM Re: Haddorff Postcard No.8 with Bach Snippets and Perfect Nanny [Re: Cinnamonbear]
ChopinAddict Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Land of the never-ending music
Originally Posted By: Cinnamonbear

Sorry to bump this thread, but there is more comedy to be had! laugh And, it fits so perfectly with ChopinAddict's observation, that I just had to post it!

I was deep in concentration recording a Chopin prelude recently, when my wife walked through the door with an armload of groceries and said...

--Andy grin

yippie smile

Music is my best friend.

#1642500 - 03/16/11 08:59 PM Re: Haddorff Postcard No.8 with Bach Snippets and Perfect Nanny [Re: Cinnamonbear]
carey Online   content
6000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Cinnamonbear

--Andy grin

Andy -

I listened three times - and couldn't understand exactly what your wife said....but perhaps that wasn't the point of your post.

Of course - I can relate. grin

#1642503 - 03/16/11 09:06 PM Re: Haddorff Postcard No.8 with Bach Snippets and Perfect Nanny [Re: Cinnamonbear]
Grandpianoman Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Portland, Oregon
LOL..."the refrigerator's off"..........;)

#1642505 - 03/16/11 09:09 PM Re: Haddorff Postcard No.8 with Bach Snippets and Perfect Nanny [Re: Grandpianoman]
carey Online   content
6000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Grandpianoman
LOL..."the refrigerator's off"..........;)

So - was it ?????? grin

#1642609 - 03/17/11 12:33 AM Re: Haddorff Postcard No.8 with Bach Snippets and Perfect Nanny [Re: carey]
Cinnamonbear Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Yes. The refrigerator is right around the corner from the piano. It's noisy! I unplug it. Ha-ha! The last thing in the world the grocery lady was expecting to find, putting away fresh groceries, was a dormant refrigerator. The comment came right after she noticed that the phone was unplugged.

I usually have the house back in order before she comes home! grin

#1642695 - 03/17/11 06:31 AM Re: Haddorff Postcard No.8 with Bach Snippets and Perfect Nanny [Re: Cinnamonbear]
sarah_elizabeth Offline

Loc: Texas, U.S.
That's utterly hilarious. I couldn't figure out exactly what she was saying, but I could tell she was quite surprised. laugh

#1642768 - 03/17/11 09:25 AM Re: Haddorff Postcard No.8 with Bach Snippets and Perfect Nanny [Re: sarah_elizabeth]
Cinnamonbear Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Quite surprised and also a little annoyed...

True confessions, now: the subtext here is, "Why aren't you out of the house earning money?!?" grin

#1642789 - 03/17/11 10:22 AM Re: Haddorff Postcard No.8 with Bach Snippets and Perfect Nanny [Re: Cinnamonbear]
casinitaly Offline

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014

Loc: Italy
I just discovered your "Radio Show Postcards" Andy - very clever - most enjoyable, I've been chuckling away for a good while now!

#1642797 - 03/17/11 10:32 AM Re: Haddorff Postcard No.8 with Bach Snippets and Perfect Nanny [Re: Cinnamonbear]
Inlanding Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Colorado
Andy,
Just pure enjoyment. What fun. Thank you for sharing your most excellent sense of humor. You got it goin', man. wink

Glen

March piano audio
https://app.box.com/s/evl3yyp1kj52ve8l069u

A Bit of YouTube

PTG Associate Member

Moderator:  Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
Our latest Issue is available now...
Piano News - Interesting & Fun Piano Related Newsletter! (free)
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
99 registered (Anticlock, AndrewJCW, 28 invisible), 1424 Guests and 19 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75588 Members
42 Forums
156298 Topics
2295408 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Tight Key ??
by moy71
4 minutes 16 seconds ago
Learning progress
by sunnyday
9 minutes 31 seconds ago
How old is a Ahlborn-Galanti Digital Pipe Organ Chronicler
by Chopinlover49
Yesterday at 10:55 PM
1906 Steinway K52 purchase for recording studio?
by nlive
Yesterday at 10:44 PM
Marc-Andr Hamelin discusses Rachmaninoff
by vers la flan
Yesterday at 09:59 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission