2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
50 members (Craig Hair, Cheeeeee, Cominut, Burkhard, 1200s, clothearednincompo, akse0435, busa, 36251, 4 invisible), 1,269 guests, and 278 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
L
Lingyis Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
L
What does it really mean to "interpret" a piece of music?

Like I'm starting to learn Chopin's 2nd Sonata. What exactly is there for me to "interpret"?

Well, there's dynamics, there's tempo, there's pedaling. I guess there's also phrasing. But it all seems a little superficial.

I suppose there's also "style", but it's not like I'm gonna play Chopin like Gould plays Bach.

So exactly what does "interpretation" involve? What do I need to realize to have my own interpretation and understanding of any piece?

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
If I were you I would listen to different performer's of the piece (as many as you can find), and keep the score in front of you so you can 'read along'. You will hear that there are many many things different. Its actually harder to explain (for me at least) than if you would listen to it yourself.

Currently working on: Perfecting the Op 2/1, studying the 27/2 last movement. Chopin Nocturne 32/2 and Posth. C#m, 'Raindrop' prelude and Etude 10/9
Repetoire: Beethoven op 2/1, 10/1(1st, 2nd), 13, 14/1, 27/1(1st, 2nd), 27/2, 28(1st, 2nd), 31/2(1st, 3rd), 49/1, 49/2, 78(1st), 79, 90, 101(1st)
T
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
T
I think interpreting means to portray a form of art. Therefore you must analyse a score and see which emotions fit in where, what the piece is trying to say, or more importantly, what you are trying to say with the piece.
But we must be careful not to get caught up in our own performance.
In my opnion, we as humans can feel each other's emotions; each other's happiness and each other's plight, etc. So if the performer can accurate portray an emotion then the audience can relate to it. This is what music is really about, afterall, it is art and can be enjoyed by everyone, just like a painting, or poetry.
I always try to imagine i'm part of the audience also, by enjoying the music, and letting my hands do the work, and i usually find it easier to fluctuate tempos and dynamics without turning the piece into some abstract Stravinsky or a painting by Dali! (sorry, i just don't like Stravinsky's music..or Dali's painting either).

All theory, dear friend, is grey, but the golden tree of life springs ever green.
T
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
T
Oh an by the way, Cziffra performs Chopin's 2nd sonata beautifully. smile

All theory, dear friend, is grey, but the golden tree of life springs ever green.
R
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
R
Sometimes I find the limiting factor in an interpretation is one's technique. Anyone feel the same?

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Ow thats definetly true Rui725. Before I really master a piece, I'm not able to give it all the expression it can have.

Currently working on: Perfecting the Op 2/1, studying the 27/2 last movement. Chopin Nocturne 32/2 and Posth. C#m, 'Raindrop' prelude and Etude 10/9
Repetoire: Beethoven op 2/1, 10/1(1st, 2nd), 13, 14/1, 27/1(1st, 2nd), 27/2, 28(1st, 2nd), 31/2(1st, 3rd), 49/1, 49/2, 78(1st), 79, 90, 101(1st)
L
Lingyis Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
L
Thanks for the replies. So after my original post, I gave it some more thought.

I don't have anything unique to say, is it still worth playing a piece? Like some of Chopin's Nocturnes. I don't have a particular affinity to them--other than the obvious fact that they're just beautiful. If I don't think I have a unique voice for those pieces, are they still worth playing? Maybe it just becomes a learning experience? Am I supposed to "expand" my musicianship through this kind of exercise?

I listen to Horowitz's Mozart playing. It's beautiful... with all kind of tricks. Not necessarily consistent I suppose, so should his version be considered an interpretation, or simply "beautiful playing"? I feel like an "interpretation" needs substantial meat behind it, like Gould's approach to anything he plays. Not always beautiful, but always consistent and logical.

What I am worried is that how I would get caught up in Chopin's beautiful melodies, which would distract from my "interpretation". And I would have nothing but a series of brokenness strung together.

So at this stage, I still don't know what "interpretation" means.

I'll go listen to Cziffra's playing maybe I'll learned something about him other than his ridiculous technical prowess.

Last edited by Lingyis; 09/20/10 01:08 AM.
D
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
D
There's probably more than one valid way to look at it - but here's what I think.

Your interpretation is not something you add on. Your interpretation is simply your honest normal way of playing the piece. There is no need to consider "Hmm, what is my interpretation" - asking yourself that question will lead you to create a fake answer.

When an actor performs a classic play, he doesn't need to change or add to what the playwright put on the paper. He just does what is written, in what he considers to be the right way. No two actors' performances turn out the same, simply because they are different people. Neither of them has to mess with the text in order to distinguish himself from his colleagues.

(I'm a piano teacher.)

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,185
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission