Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1519610 - 09/21/10 06:51 AM Should I continue onto my LMusA?
confusedperson Offline

Hello everyone,
Well, I have finished my AMusA in May this year and I was thinking of doing my LMusA some time next year. My teacher and I talked about it in my lesson and she says that she highly doubts that I will be ready by then, so I am having serious thoughts about it. I am currently in year 9 and I really don't want to be juggling piano with my VCE.
My dad says that maybe I should quit, since I don't plan on having a musical career when older, even though I might want to teach a few students in the future. He thinks that I don't have a natural talent for music so in his point of view I am only wasting my time. I am really worried that I might regret it when I'm older because every adult seems to regret that they either didn't play an instrument or they quit.
So here I am, confused. There is the possibility of waiting until uni but by then I think I will have lost my technique, etc. Btw, I’ve started two LMus pieces and I do like piano, very much, it’s just that I’m not interested in pursuing it as a career.
Could you guys please give some advice as to whether I should do my Lmus, and if yes, what you think would be the best time to do it?
Thanks! smile

(ad) Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#1519630 - 09/21/10 07:44 AM Re: Should I continue onto my LMusA? [Re: confusedperson]
Oz Marcus Offline

Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Hi Confused and welcome to piano forums!
Congratulations on getting your AMusA at your age! That is a wonderful achievement. I have been playing now for 30 years and don't have my LMus, nor do I have a career in music! But would I give up? Never!
You have already identified that you like playing the piano, so why stop?
Your dad is probably worried that music will detract you from your academic pursuits, but there is nothing further from the truth! I am a doctor now, and I continued to have lessons all through VCE (year 12) but the change I made was to use piano for relaxation at that stage rather than serious academic pursuit. I took it up again more seriously once I started at university. Don't ever think that your love of music has to be at the expense of your other academic pursuits. If your dad is giving you a hard time about it, tell him to give me a call and I will set him straight!!!
Chopin Prelude Op28 No 15, nocturne Op48 no 1
Bach Prelude & Fuge WTC II No 12 in F minor
Aspiring to Rautavaara - Piano Sonata 2 - Fire Sermon

#1520012 - 09/21/10 05:41 PM Re: Should I continue onto my LMusA? [Re: confusedperson]
dolce sfogato Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Netherlands
As long as the Muse inspires you: go on! Learn and experience as much as you can now, absorb all the infectuous information, use all your creativity, one day it will be all petrified, you, and your inspiration, you'll be a nice, well-functioning civilian, as dead as the rest of the 'normal' world, fight against it as long time and possibility allows! Go on!!!

Couperin pices, Ravel tombeau de C

#1520180 - 09/21/10 11:00 PM Re: Should I continue onto my LMusA? [Re: confusedperson]
crystal01 Offline

Loc: Sydney, Australia
Hi,

That is wonderful to hear of your achievements at such a young age. I'm jealous smile I started the piano when I was about 10yrs old, played for the next 5 yrs and got to 4th grade (AMEB) then for some reason stopped playing. I am now in my mid 30's and it has only been in the last 2 years that I have picked it up seriously again, going back to lessons and continuing my grades so I can get my AMus. I kind of am kicking myself now for not persuing it when I had the chance.

Maybe doing your LMus might be a bit much for you now but you can always do it later when the time feels right. Just don't stop playing, especially if you enjoy it because the ability to play music is a true gift and always greatly received by others who watch and hear you play.

#1520232 - 09/22/10 12:48 AM Re: Should I continue onto my LMusA? [Re: confusedperson]
carey Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Phoenix, Arizona
Originally Posted By: confusedperson

My dad says that maybe I should quit, since I don't plan on having a musical career when older, even though I might want to teach a few students in the future. He thinks that I don't have a natural talent for music so in his point of view I am only wasting my time.
smile

For those who might not be familiar with this - Australian musicians consider the AMus to be at a level of performance standard equivalent to or greater than undergraduate performance practice in a dedicated conservatoire.

Seems like you have three choices....

1) Stop taking lessons now - and focus on other things

2) Continue lessons as long as you enjoy them - and strive to be the best pianist you can be - regardless of your future career direction

3) Ditto to #2 above - but continue lessons with the intent of eventually going for the LMus - no matter how long it ultamately takes.

This is really something you need to decide for YOURSELF. It seems unlikely that someone with little "natural talent for music" would have achieved all that YOU have accomplished to date. While it may be unrealistic to assume that you'll be able to complete the LMus in a year, there's no reason why you can't continue to work toward the GOAL of completing it sometime in the future - right?? Being able to play the piano well is a gift that you can enjoy throughout your entire life. It is simply one of several skills that you will ultimately develop through your formal education. The good news is that even if you stop playing for awhile you won't lose all the technique, etc. you've developed thus far. With a little work - these things usually come back. grin

#1520257 - 09/22/10 02:42 AM Re: Should I continue onto my LMusA? [Re: confusedperson]
david_a Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: confusedperson
Could you guys please give some advice as to whether I should do my Lmus, and if yes, what you think would be the best time to do it?
Thanks! smile
With any major qualification, the question is: What do you want it for? NOT said in a bad or negative way at all - just as a question for you to honestly ask yourself. If you get your LMus, what's in it for you? Will finishing that work and getting that title bring you skill and ability you don't already have, increase your income, change or improve your life somehow? All that work should get you something good, or why start.

The joy of a job well done (and having the certificate to prove it) doesn't last. Don't do it just for that.

If there's a chance you may change your mind and go into music after all, then step away from the computer right now, and go practice; don't even bother reading the rest of my post. smile

Timing: if you get along well with your teacher and trust that her judgment is good, then go along with her time-line. I have been involved in the "plough through and get it done" method before. That was a bad move in every way and I still regret it.

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
European Piano Party 2014, Picts & Stories! (Piano Party in Portugal)
-------------------
75,000 Members and Growing!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(ad) Purely Piano Practice Software
Purely Piano Practice Software
(ad) Piano Guide Lessons
Piano Guide Lessons
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
92 registered (Atrys, Anticlock, Art_Vandelay, 24 invisible), 1336 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75336 Members
42 Forums
155778 Topics
2287327 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Emergency help!
by Parks
07/10/14 11:36 PM
Pain in my lower back, help!!
by rov
07/10/14 10:55 PM
If there were only 2 choices..
by ChopinFan66
07/10/14 08:04 PM
symphonic pianomusic
by dolce sfogato
07/10/14 06:16 PM
First Digital Piano - Casio AP250 or Roland RP301?
by Jorgeb
07/10/14 02:07 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission