Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1520975 - 09/23/10 08:44 AM Basic Piano Goals for a Beginner Pianist
Christofle Offline

Loc: Malaysia
Hi everyone!

My question is, what would be the "basic goals every beginner pianist would need to achieve" when starting out in order to build a pathway to become an adept pianist?

I've just started piano lessons for two weeks now. I don't have any previous music background. The reason for this question is because I feel the amount of piano knowledge in existence is much too overwhelming & scary to a person who is just beginning to learn it and there is too many different methods of learning, so it's barely possible to even know which one is better than the other.

Well, the main thing I'm looking for would be a "summary of what are the most -basic goals- for a beginner pianist to look at/focus/must learn/important" in order to grow effectively into a better pianist.

Thank you so much in advance. wink

(ads P/S)

Petrof Pianos

#1521004 - 09/23/10 10:00 AM Re: Basic Piano Goals for a Beginner Pianist [Re: Christofle]
Tubbie0075 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Avoid learning bad habits. They can't slow your progress, prevents you from getting any further at some stage or worst, injuries.

Don't just learn how to play but learn how to read and understand the music. Don't neglect music theory and history.

Be patient. If you do the right thing the right way, there is no stopping you to reach where you want to reach. But if you rush, you will miss out the basics and get stuck. There are no shortcuts.

To do the above, you will need a very good teacher. It will save you time, frustration and injuries in the long run.

That's my 2 cents.

#1521026 - 09/23/10 10:54 AM Re: Basic Piano Goals for a Beginner Pianist [Re: Christofle]
Mark... Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Jersey Shore
Know that it is a slow layered process that takes years.

#1521028 - 09/23/10 10:54 AM Re: Basic Piano Goals for a Beginner Pianist [Re: Christofle]
Morodiene Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Boynton Beach, FL
The biggest thing you can do is not be afraid to make mistakes. Let them happen, learn from them, and overcome them.

Second to that, be patient. Piano takes years to develop as a skill, so enjoy the process along the way. smile
Petrof 9'2 Concert, Yamaha G3, Roland FP-7, Yamaha MOX6, Kawai MP11

#1521032 - 09/23/10 11:08 AM Re: Basic Piano Goals for a Beginner Pianist [Re: Christofle]
casinitaly Offline

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014

Loc: Italy
Welcome to Piano World!

Even if you have some musical background, it still takes a long time.

Be patient!!
Be content with taking many small steps!

Your first really big challenge is learning to read the notes. It can take a while to learn to do this smoothly, so again - be patient!

Enjoy your adventure!.... did I say "be patient"?

#1521059 - 09/23/10 12:17 PM Re: Basic Piano Goals for a Beginner Pianist [Re: Christofle]
nancymae Offline

Loc: NE Wisconsin
My advice (only being a pianist since Christmas 2009 and still a beginner) is practice every day. (or at least most days) A missed day here or there is fine..but try to get in the habit of practicing every single day. I have heard 20 minutes is a good time to start...if you can do more, then do. You will advance quicker than someone who plays only on the weekends for 2-3 hours. Since Christmas day, I probably can count on one hand the days that I have not practiced. I am now in book two of Alfred's Adult course!

I agree with the others about being patient..enjoy the process. It's a definite skill--reading music, relating it to your hands-and both at the same time! So be patient with yourself and your progress. Enjoy the small accomplishments..the first time you play with both hands, or can read the entire line of music without looking up the names of the notes or where they are on the keyboard. These achievements may not be clear, but they still are achievements that should be celebrated and built upon.

Your skills compound and build upon one another and reading music DOES get easier, playing with one hand DOES get easier, playing with two hands DOES get easier...with every day practice!

Have fun and keep reading and commenting to these boards...they are full of wonderful and generous musicians who share their knowledge!

Welcome and Happy Piano Playing!

Nancy
Finished Alfred Book 1-August 2010
Started Book 2--August 11, 2010
Alfred Favorites Book

#1521073 - 09/23/10 12:30 PM Re: Basic Piano Goals for a Beginner Pianist [Re: nancymae]
casinitaly Offline

Originally Posted By: nancymae
My advice (only being a pianist since Christmas 2009 and still a beginner) is practice every day. (or at least most days) A missed day here or there is fine..but try to get in the habit of practicing every single day. I have heard 20 minutes is a good time to start...if you can do more, then do. You will advance quicker than someone who plays only on the weekends for 2-3 hours. Since Christmas day, I probably can count on one hand the days that I have not practiced. I am now in book two of Alfred's Adult course!

I agree with the others about being patient..enjoy the process. It's a definite skill--reading music, relating it to your hands-and both at the same time! So be patient with yourself and your progress. Enjoy the small accomplishments..the first time you play with both hands, or can read the entire line of music without looking up the names of the notes or where they are on the keyboard. These achievements may not be clear, but they still are achievements that should be celebrated and built upon.

Your skills compound and build upon one another and reading music DOES get easier, playing with one hand DOES get easier, playing with two hands DOES get easier...with every day practice!

Have fun and keep reading and commenting to these boards...they are full of wonderful and generous musicians who share their knowledge!

Welcome and Happy Piano Playing!

Nancy

Nancymae, we really are twins! I totally agree with you on the playing every day idea - if it is at all possible.

The only days I've missed playing since Christmas 2009 have been days when I was physically not in the house ... I need all my fingers to count my missed days, but I really do play every day (even the days of departure and return! - even if only for a few minutes).

On days when I am able to play a lot, I generally play in many 15-20 minute sessions.

I really believe this approach has helped my progress a lot.

#1521128 - 09/23/10 01:46 PM Re: Basic Piano Goals for a Beginner Pianist [Re: Christofle]
nancymae Offline

Loc: NE Wisconsin
Cheryl...kindred spirits across the ocean!!!!! When are you getting your new piano?????
Finished Alfred Book 1-August 2010
Started Book 2--August 11, 2010
Alfred Favorites Book

#1521131 - 09/23/10 01:48 PM Re: Basic Piano Goals for a Beginner Pianist [Re: nancymae]
casinitaly Offline

Originally Posted By: nancymae
Cheryl...kindred spirits across the ocean!!!!! When are you getting your new piano?????

Kindred spirits indeed!!!!

I'm still shopping - next appointment is on 8 October..... I need more experienced pianists to come with me and it is hard to coordinate schedules! I'm going nuts.

My objective is to have it before Christmas... we shall see!
(don't worry, I will start a new thread for it when it happens!)

#1521633 - 09/24/10 06:17 AM Re: Basic Piano Goals for a Beginner Pianist [Re: Christofle]
little_lewis Offline

Practice, be confident, read lots of music books, and remember what you learn, everything is based off what you remember.
not sure if this is too advance for you but its free, download this book if you can understand it it will work miracles.
http://fileml.com/0g75y1

#1521643 - 09/24/10 06:38 AM Re: Basic Piano Goals for a Beginner Pianist [Re: Christofle]
CarlosCC Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Lisboa, Portugal
Welcome to PW!
As an athlete, work hard and never give up.

Edited by Carlos CC (09/24/10 06:38 AM)

CarlosCC records
Self-learning since 12/2009
"Don't play what's there, play what's not there."

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
European Piano Party 2014, Picts & Stories! (Piano Party in Portugal)
-------------------
75,000 Members and Growing!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(ad) Purely Piano Practice Software
Purely Piano Practice Software
(ad) Piano Guide Lessons
Piano Guide Lessons
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
114 registered (ajames, 36251, Abby Pianoman, Al LaPorte, Andrey, 40 invisible), 1196 Guests and 31 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75334 Members
42 Forums
155768 Topics
2286983 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How do you measure progress?
by BrianDX
07/10/14 08:05 AM
Multiple sound engines?
by Nordomus
07/10/14 05:08 AM
Funny way to end a Mozart sonata...
by JoelW
07/10/14 04:11 AM
Would you buy a restored water damaged piano?
by upbeat
07/10/14 01:00 AM
Looking for Complete Gershwin Songbook
by Tony Romo
07/10/14 12:26 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission