Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) End Stage Fright
End Stage Fright
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#1521208 - 09/23/10 03:49 PM Saddest chord ever struck?
pianoloverus Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York City
A story from Giraffes, Black Dragons, and Other Pianos by Edwin Mmm Good. This is an interesting book, but at least one third of it is so technical that probably only a tech could understand it(I just skip those parts).

Ludwig Rellstab, later a famous critic, visited Beethoven in 1825 and reported that the composer proudly showed off his Broadwood:

"It is a handsome gift", he continued, stretching his hands towards the keys without ceasing to hold my eyes. He gently stuck a chord. Never again will one penetrate my soul with such a wealth of woe, with so heart-rending an accent! He had played a C major chord in the fight hand and played a B to it in the bass, his eyes never leaving mine. And in order that he might make the soft tone of the instrument sound at its best- he repeated the chord several times and-the greatest musician on earth did not heat its dissonance!

Edited by pianoloverus (09/24/10 09:07 AM)

(ad) Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#1521259 - 09/23/10 05:02 PM Re: Saddest chord ever struck? [Re: pianoloverus]
stores Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Here, as opposed to there
Rellstab, is the twit that gave the "Moonlight" it's nickname.

"And if we look at the works of J.S. Bach — a benevolent god to which all musicians should offer a prayer to defend themselves against mediocrity... -Debussy

"It's ok if you disagree with me. I can't force you to be right."

♪ ≠ $

#1521293 - 09/23/10 05:33 PM Re: Saddest chord ever struck? [Re: stores]
TheHappyMoron Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: UK
Originally Posted By: stores

lol, what's wrong with the nick name Moonlight sonata?

#1521299 - 09/23/10 05:38 PM Re: Saddest chord ever struck? [Re: TheHappyMoron]
stores Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: TheCannibalHaddock

There's little, if anything at all, to do with moonlight in the work. I truly wonder how many would "hear" moonlight on Lake Lucerne (choose your own lake), were the nickname not attached.

"And if we look at the works of J.S. Bach — a benevolent god to which all musicians should offer a prayer to defend themselves against mediocrity... -Debussy

♪ ≠ $

#1521300 - 09/23/10 05:41 PM Re: Saddest chord ever struck? [Re: pianoloverus]
TheHappyMoron Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Do you feel the same for the Chopin etudes?

#1521394 - 09/23/10 08:04 PM Re: Saddest chord ever struck? [Re: pianoloverus]
stores Offline
6000 Post Club Member

For the most part, yes. The only nick I use with any consistency there is the "black key".

♪ ≠ $

#1521401 - 09/23/10 08:24 PM Re: Saddest chord ever struck? [Re: pianoloverus]
gsmonks Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Saskatchewan, Canada
Beethoven may have been trying to be funny . . .

#1521402 - 09/23/10 08:30 PM Re: Saddest chord ever struck? [Re: gsmonks]
stores Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: gsmonks

Beethoven, never knew of the title.

Edited by stores (09/23/10 08:30 PM)

♪ ≠ $

#1521414 - 09/23/10 08:54 PM Re: Saddest chord ever struck? [Re: pianoloverus]
currawong Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Down Under
I'm with stores on the nicknames for the etudes - I'd never heard most of them until I started frequenting PW, and now I keep wasting time thinking "winter wind? which one is that?"
And as for the stupid names for the preludes! Suffocation is too good for whomever thought that one up!

#1521438 - 09/23/10 09:45 PM Re: Saddest chord ever struck? [Re: pianoloverus]
beet31425 Online   content
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Bay Area, CA
Yeah, this is kind of personal and it's easy to be inconsistent. I happen to respond to "Black Key", "Revolutionary", "Aoliean Harp", "Butterfly" and "Winter Wind", but I scorn at "Ocean", and, like currawong, all the prelude nicknames. All of them. (Except "Raindrop", I guess.) It probably has everything to do with what you first heard when you first got to know them....

-Jason

Edited by beet31425 (09/23/10 10:57 PM)
Edit Reason: forgot about "Raindrop"

#1521460 - 09/23/10 10:35 PM Re: Saddest chord ever struck? [Re: pianoloverus]
Orange Soda King Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Louisville, Kentucky, United S...
Nicknames for the etudes don't bother me, but "Moonlight" sort of does.

Sad chords: I can't think of a specific one, but the e minor prelude by Chopin seems to get progressively sadder/deeper.

#1521463 - 09/23/10 10:42 PM Re: Saddest chord ever struck? [Re: stores]
Ferdinand Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: California

Gsmonks, did you mean -- Beethoven was playing a joke on Rellstab with the chord?

#1521478 - 09/23/10 11:03 PM Re: Saddest chord ever struck? [Re: beet31425]
Ridicolosamente Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Miami, Florida, USA
In 1825? Maybe not.

-Daniel

#1521503 - 09/23/10 11:56 PM Re: Saddest chord ever struck? [Re: pianoloverus]
ChopinAddict Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Land of the never-ending music
Nicknames bother me too... Particularly when people don't know they were not the composer's wish, like in Chopin's case or the Moonlight Sonata, and give them too much importance.

Music is my best friend.

#1521504 - 09/23/10 11:57 PM Re: Saddest chord ever struck? [Re: pianoloverus]
ChopinAddict Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Land of the never-ending music
About the sad chords...
Maybe the chords in the left hand in Chopin's Prelude Op.28 No.4?

Music is my best friend.

#1521527 - 09/24/10 12:34 AM Re: Saddest chord ever struck? [Re: currawong]
BruceD Offline

Loc: Victoria, BC
Originally Posted By: currawong
I'm with stores on the nicknames for the etudes - I'd never heard most of them until I started frequenting PW, and now I keep wasting time thinking "winter wind? which one is that?"
And as for the stupid names for the preludes! Suffocation is too good for whomever thought that one up!

I absolutely agree. Funny, is it, that I so often agree with currawong? I wonder why ... smile

#1521548 - 09/24/10 01:31 AM Re: Saddest chord ever struck? [Re: stores]
jeffreyjones Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: San Jose, CA

There's little, if anything at all, to do with moonlight in the work. I truly wonder how many would "hear" moonlight on Lake Lucerne (choose your own lake), were the nickname not attached.

Keep in mind that Rellstab had never heard anything by Chopin, Schumann, Debussy, etc, because he couldn't have.. even for someone on the vanguard of music at the turn of the 19th century, such an evocative, even Romantic, piece of music would have been that much more powerful than it is taken out of context today.

#1521575 - 09/24/10 03:00 AM Re: Saddest chord ever struck? [Re: Ferdinand]
gsmonks Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Saskatchewan, Canada
Originally Posted By: Ferdinand

Gsmonks, did you mean -- Beethoven was playing a joke on Rellstab with the chord?

From Rellstab's account, Ludwig was watching him very carefully, studying his reaction. Rellstab was assuming a great deal and had absolutely no idea what was on Ludwig's mind. We have no idea what his opinion of Rellstab was. For all we know, he may have thought him a patronising oaf, and was testing him for honesty.

Besides, do you really think a pianist of Ludwig's caliber, deaf for not, would forget where he left C, three times running?

Edited by gsmonks (09/24/10 03:03 AM)

#1521593 - 09/24/10 04:25 AM Re: Saddest chord ever struck? [Re: jeffreyjones]
stores Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: jeffreyjones

Keep in mind that Rellstab had never heard anything by Chopin, Schumann, Debussy, etc, because he couldn't have.. even for someone on the vanguard of music at the turn of the 19th century, such an evocative, even Romantic, piece of music would have been that much more powerful than it is taken out of context today.

Rellstab, certainly, heard Chopin, Schumann, Schubert, Mendelssohn, Liszt and many others (no Debussy as you say though because the dates make it an impossibility).

♪ ≠ $

#1521600 - 09/24/10 04:42 AM Re: Saddest chord ever struck? [Re: pianoloverus]
btb Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Pretoria South Africa
There is no record in my reference book (The Beethoven Compendium by Barry Cooper ... 351 pages) of Rellstab (whoever he might be) having met the stone deaf Beethoven in 1825 (two years before LB’s death) ... and reportedly having heard the jangling Broadwood C major chord with the strident lower B.

Where does this story originate ... and the supposed (twit) Moonlight appellation?

#1521603 - 09/24/10 04:46 AM Re: Saddest chord ever struck? [Re: pianoloverus]
Victor25 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: The Netherlands
Thats indeed a very moving story. Beethoven has found its way to my heart a couple of years ago, by using those type of chords. For me he has a certain way of writing that is just unexplainable. For instance the way in op10/3 second movement, he goes from the buildup in measure's 34-35 to those amazing high notes in measure 36. I know this is not a chord, but it gives that same dissonance feel! The opening of the pathetique would be another great example

ps I 100% agree that the nicknames are stupid. They give the listener an idea in their head without having heard a single note.

#1521632 - 09/24/10 06:13 AM Re: Saddest chord ever struck? [Re: pianoloverus]
pianoloverus Offline

When I wrote the OP I thought I was sharing a profoundly moving story and was interested in your thoughts about that story.

Disappointing that almost no one has really commented on it so far(ecxept to say that perhaps Beethoven was kidding...he wasn't or that Rellstab was a "twit". etc.)Nor was the thread supposed to be a compendium of other posters' choices for the saddest chords.

Edited by pianoloverus (09/24/10 08:58 AM)

#1521644 - 09/24/10 06:38 AM Re: Saddest chord ever struck? [Re: pianoloverus]
TheHappyMoron Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Personally i do not care too much for nick names of pieces either, but i'm sure i read somewhere that they were given to produce more popularity for the pieces at the time (in the case of Chopin at least anyway). And i think it was Schumann that coined the Aolian Harp one, and we all know about his vivid imagination!

As for Pianoloverus; i apologise if i in anyway distracted anyone from your post, and it was a very quaint story. There are many anecdotes of Beethoven's great playing. I read one once where a pianist try to show him up in a piano competition (where they would improvise to show who's better) by improvising on one of Beethoven's themes, which disgruntled the composer so much that he played so amazingly, and utterly out-doing his competitor, that the other pianist left Vienna and never returned out of shame! or something of that nature anyway, haha.

#1521654 - 09/24/10 07:08 AM Re: Saddest chord ever struck? [Re: pianoloverus]
Victor25 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: pianoloverus
When I wrote the OP I thought I was sharing a profoundly moving story and was interested in your thoughts about that story.

Disappointing that not one person has really commented on it so far(ecxept to say that perhaps Beethoven was kidding...he wasn't or that Rellstab was a "twit". etc.)Nor was the thread supposed to be a compendium of other posters' choices for the saddest chords.

I'm quite sure my reply was OnT

#1521691 - 09/24/10 08:40 AM Re: Saddest chord ever struck? [Re: pianoloverus]
SlatterFan Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Brighton, UK

Disappointing that not one person has really commented on it so far(ecxept to say that perhaps Beethoven was kidding...he wasn't or that Rellstab was a "twit". etc.)Nor was the thread supposed to be a compendium of other posters' choices for the saddest chords.

My first impression was to notice that you typed the author's name as ending "Mmm Good", with a very strange book title. I assumed you were joking and I didn't even look up the book to see if it existed.

The story does strike me as odd. I've read that Beethoven received his Broadwood piano in early 1818, so it would hardly have been "new" to him in 1825 (the year he did receive a new piano, a Graf). Right away that makes me wonder if Rellstab's anecdote was remembered and reported accurately along its way to us. I also have read that Beethoven was almost completely deaf in his later years. I suppose it is strangely moving that an almost-deaf man could affect a listener on a deep emotional level through the haunting sound quality produced by playing a few chords on his piano. But, as I politely cautioned just above, people sometimes exaggerate and/or embellish their recollections of encounters with famous people, so who knows.

#1521700 - 09/24/10 09:00 AM Re: Saddest chord ever struck? [Re: pianoloverus]
Morodiene Offline

Loc: Boynton Beach, FL
This is also the fist I've heard of this story, and find it dubious.
Petrof 9'2 Concert, Yamaha G3, Roland FP-7, Yamaha MOX6, Kawai MP11

#1521701 - 09/24/10 09:01 AM Re: Saddest chord ever struck? [Re: pianoloverus]
Victor25 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

#1521702 - 09/24/10 09:06 AM Re: Saddest chord ever struck? [Re: SlatterFan]
pianoloverus Offline

Originally Posted By: SlatterFan

My first impression was to notice that you typed the author's name as ending "Mmm Good", with a very strange book title. I assumed you were joking and I didn't even look up the book to see if it existed.
The book is real. The author's actual name is Edwin M. Good, so I couldn't resist making a joke.

Originally Posted By: SlatterFan
The story does strike me as odd. I've read that Beethoven received his Broadwood piano in early 1818, so it would hardly have been "new" to him in 1825 (the year he did receive a new piano, a Graf). Right away that makes me wonder if Rellstab's anecdote was remembered and reported accurately along its way to us. I also have read that Beethoven was almost completely deaf in his later years. I suppose it is strangely moving that an almost-deaf man could affect a listener on a deep emotional level through the haunting sound quality produced by playing a few chords on his piano. But, as I politely cautioned just above, people sometimes exaggerate and/or embellish their recollections of encounters with famous people, so who knows.
I shouldn't have included the word "new" in my story as you are correct about 1818 as the date of the gift of the piano from Braodwood. I corrected my OP. The point of the story was not the haunting quality of the chords but that Beethoven, being completely deaf at the time, couldn't hear that he created a terrible dissonance by playing the wrong note in the bass.

Edited by pianoloverus (09/24/10 09:37 AM)

#1521714 - 09/24/10 09:22 AM Re: Saddest chord ever struck? [Re: gsmonks]
pianoloverus Offline

From Rellstab's account, Ludwig was watching him very carefully, studying his reaction. Rellstab was assuming a great deal and had absolutely no idea what was on Ludwig's mind. We have no idea what his opinion of Rellstab was. For all we know, he may have thought him a patronising oaf, and was testing him for honesty.

Besides, do you really think a pianist of Ludwig's caliber, deaf for not, would forget where he left C, three times running?
The story I quoted mentioned that Beethoven kept his eyes fixed on Rellstab, i.e. didn't look at the keys, so it is not unreasonable that he hit the wrong note in the bass.

I suppose one could say that any time a person says something to you, one cannot be sure of what's on their mind, but that seems like a rather cynical response to a story I think most would find tragic.

#1521719 - 09/24/10 09:33 AM Re: Saddest chord ever struck? [Re: btb]
pianoloverus Offline

Originally Posted By: btb
There is no record in my reference book (The Beethoven Compendium by Barry Cooper ... 351 pages) of Rellstab (whoever he might be) having met the stone deaf Beethoven in 1825 (two years before LB’s death) ... and reportedly having heard the jangling Broadwood C major chord with the strident lower B.
The story has a footnote and reference in Good's book to a book by Von Schonfeld. Although it's impossible to prove the story is true, I don't think a 351 page book, or any book, can contain every story about Beethvoen's life.

Edited by pianoloverus (09/24/10 09:39 AM)

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
124 registered (Atrys, accordeur, antony, Arizona Sage, Almaviva, 34 invisible), 1363 Guests and 48 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74206 Members
42 Forums
153514 Topics
2249596 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Morning Mist: a ballade for piano
by JoelW
18 minutes 54 seconds ago
Insanity
by Polyphonist
Yesterday at 11:55 PM
Yamaha P140 sluggish keys : how to fix?
by Bambell
Yesterday at 11:52 PM
Cristina Perri - HUMAN piano cover
by SAO
Yesterday at 11:12 PM
Valentina Lisitsa plays Michael Nyman!!
by ShiroKuro
Yesterday at 10:17 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission