Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1521769 - 09/24/10 11:09 AM Purchase Advice for Baby Grand
GOlson Offline

Hi to the group!

I have been an active reader of the forum for the past few months and have enjoyed all the great informative posts... thanks to all.

My wife and I want to purchase a baby-grand (she's the 'player' in our family.. along with our grandkids when they come to visit). Our budget is 12-16K, and we think we can accommodate a piano in the mid-to-upper five-foot range. We have been to local and semi-local dealers and my wife has played various brands and models that have been on the floor. The two pianos that have caught our eye are a new Kawai GE-30 and a used Boston 178. My wife prefers the 'rounder' (for lack of a better description!) sound of the longer Boston, but the Kawai was very nice (if quite different in tone) and purchasing with a new warranty is appealing.

The dealerships are offering the Kawai for $16,300 and the used Boston for $13,900 (we haven't made any counter offers yet). The Boston is 11 years old, is in excellent condition, and the dealership is offering a one-year warranty as part of the purchase.

I would appreciate any thoughts/opinions on the relative value and price of the two pianos. I will also note that we are going to travel this weekend to look at and play a Hailun, so we won’t be making a final decision until after that trip.

Thanks in advance for any help/advice/guidance that you might provide.

Gregg

(ads 568) Hailun Pianos

piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#1521816 - 09/24/10 12:27 PM Re: Purchase Advice for Baby Grand [Re: GOlson]
Hop Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Hudson, FL
For 16k or perhaps slightly more, you could obtain a brand new or nearly new Kawai RX-2. (Prices may have changed, so look for you self. The economy is such that you will have substantial negotiating power.)

For less than 12K, you can obtain a Hailun HG 178 (178 cm. is about 5ft. 10inches), which I like and purchased. Two smaller sizes are also available, at lower prices yet. There are other brands also within your budget, including nearly new Yamahas, and new pianos of some of the other lesser known brands. See the Piano Buyer, which lurks in an ad to the left of this column. The electronic version is free, and can be obtained immediately.

Be sure to shop as exhaustively as your patience and time will allow; you'll keep learning more about pianos and more importantly what you prefer in a piano.

Have fun!

Hop

#1521818 - 09/24/10 12:31 PM Re: Purchase Advice for Baby Grand [Re: GOlson]
PianoMan1958 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Tennessee
I would probably go for the Boston. It is made by Kawai in Japan and 11 years old is still pretty new, if it's been well maintained. I'm not as familiar with the GE-30 but I think they're considered to be one of Kawai's entry level grand and not made in Japan.

Plays:
Yamaha C5 grand (home)
Kawai KG5 grand (church)
Roland RD300GX digital (jazz group)

#1521831 - 09/24/10 12:44 PM Re: Purchase Advice for Baby Grand [Re: GOlson]
david_a Offline
2000 Post Club Member

An eleven-year-old piano doesn't need a warranty very badly, beyond what the dealer is offering. Assuming it actually got played for a good chunk of that eleven years, then any things that were going to go wrong with it that might have been covered by a warranty have already happened, and what you see is pretty much what you get. One exception is the possibility of worn parts needing to be replaced or fixed before you hoped to have work done on it; but you say it's in excellent condition so hopefully that's not too much of a concern.

#1521847 - 09/24/10 01:30 PM Re: Purchase Advice for Baby Grand [Re: PianoMan1958]
M.O.P. Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Ocala, Florida
Originally Posted By: PianoMan1958
I would probably go for the Boston. It is made by Kawai in Japan and 11 years old is still pretty new, if it's been well maintained. I'm not as familiar with the GE-30 but I think they're considered to be one of Kawai's entry level grand and not made in Japan.

Kawai's GE-10 is still made in Japan & is not the entry level grand.

www.FortePianoGallery.com
Forte' Blog - Technical Tuesdays
Forte' on Facebook

"The piano was God's gift to music." Lou Mason

#1521852 - 09/24/10 01:39 PM Re: Purchase Advice for Baby Grand [Re: GOlson]
gutenberg Offline

Loc: Wichita, Kansas
I like the Boston 178 and I know what your wife means by "rounder." 13.9 seems a bit high though. True that 11 year old is good age in many respects, though if it were me I would have a tech look at it before I made a counter-offer. Also true that you should look at as many pianos as you can because it will develop you and your wife's ear for the sound you like, and because its fun. You don't say what she is playing now, but you shouldn't be in a hurry.

#1521860 - 09/24/10 01:51 PM Re: Purchase Advice for Baby Grand [Re: GOlson]
elecmuse3 Offline

Loc: Cincinnati
Given the amount of time you'll be living with this piano, the more pianos you can check out, the better. Besides, it's fun!

#1521864 - 09/24/10 01:55 PM Re: Purchase Advice for Baby Grand [Re: GOlson]
ChasT Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Georgia
What brands are available within a couple hours drive?

If your wife prefers the Boston over the Kawai, try a Knabe, Perzina (w/Renner action), and maybe a Brodmann or Ritmuller.

Good luck with the search. Just take your time and enjoy the ride.

Charles

#1521938 - 09/24/10 04:10 PM Re: Purchase Advice for Baby Grand [Re: GOlson]
PianoMan1958 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Tennessee
M.O.P., I wasn't sure about the GE Kawai's being made in Japan. Maybe it's the GM series that's not?

Plays:
Yamaha C5 grand (home)
Kawai KG5 grand (church)
Roland RD300GX digital (jazz group)

#1521944 - 09/24/10 04:17 PM Re: Purchase Advice for Baby Grand [Re: GOlson]
Plowboy Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Huntington Beach, CA
The price for the GE-30 is high, at least for the Southern California market. If you like the GE-30, try the RX-1 which is the same length with upgraded design and materials.

#1522165 - 09/24/10 10:54 PM Re: Purchase Advice for Baby Grand [Re: PianoMan1958]
M.O.P. Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Ocala, Florida
Originally Posted By: PianoMan1958
M.O.P., I wasn't sure about the GE Kawai's being made in Japan. Maybe it's the GM series that's not?

PianoMan1958, That's correct. Feel free to ask any time if you have questions about Kawai, I'll be happy to help out.

GOlson, ChasT gives very good advice. Try as many brands as you can & decide for yourself. There are many good pianos out there that tend to fly under the radar, and are underrated by many. Best of luck to you!

www.FortePianoGallery.com
Forte' Blog - Technical Tuesdays
Forte' on Facebook

"The piano was God's gift to music." Lou Mason

#1522335 - 09/25/10 10:52 AM Re: Purchase Advice for Baby Grand [Re: M.O.P.]
GOlson Offline

Many thanks to all who have contributed advice and opinions. We will certainly continue our ‘quest’ and try other piano brands, but I must admit that for me, the process is becoming tiring. Perhaps if I were the ‘player’ I would find the process more enjoyable. I know that my wife has really enjoyed the opportunity to play different pianos, including many that we could never afford.

The dealerships within 2-3 hours in our mountain-west location don’t overlap brands, so if you want to purchase a Kawai, or Yamaha or Knabe or <name the brand>, and you want to purchase ‘locally’, there is no opportunity to get competing quotes on the same model from different sources; perhaps why the 16.3K price for the GE-30 seems high for a different area, such as southern Cal. I’m pretty sure that you couldn’t purchase an RX-1 here for 16K, much less the RX-2 referenced in an earlier post. Part of the shopping stress is seeing postings on the forum of wonderful (meaning low!) purchase prices that seem unobtainable here.

Gutenburg: our current piano is a Baldwin Hamilton upright that we purchased new in the early 80’s. The Baldwin (still in wonderful condition) is being passed to the grandkids that I referenced in my first post. It will be a step-up over their current practice instrument.
Thanks again to all.

Gregg

#1522354 - 09/25/10 11:29 AM Re: Purchase Advice for Baby Grand [Re: GOlson]
Steve Cohen Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Maryland/DC/No. VA
Take these low prices with a BIG lump of salt.

The wholsesale cost including freight, uncrating, prep and delivery on an RX-2BLAK is higher that the selling price quoted.

Consultant & Contributing Editor - Acoustic & Digital Piano Buyer

Jasons Music
Maryland/DC/No. VA
Since 1937.

www.jasonsmusic.com
My postings, unless stated otherwise, are my personal opinions, not those of my clients.

#1522443 - 09/25/10 02:34 PM Re: Purchase Advice for Baby Grand [Re: GOlson]
FogVilleLad Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: San Francisco
Originally Posted By: GOlson
We will certainly continue our ‘quest’ and try other piano brands, but I must admit that for me, the process is becoming tiring.
If you need a break, jast take a break. You're not being timed. Impatience is your enemy.

Choosing a piano is ultimately an emotional decision. We often react differently on different days, so multiple auditions are a good thing. Maybe regard the auditioning as something nice that you can do for your wife - after you take a break;-)

Moderator:  Ken Knapp, Piano World, Rickster 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
143 registered (accordeur, Almaviva, Alux, 46 invisible), 1480 Guests and 44 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74264 Members
42 Forums
153616 Topics
2251469 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Understanding Sharps
by imustlearn
04/20/14 08:18 PM
When a beginner is not a beginner anymore?
by Eight Octaves
04/20/14 08:09 PM
DEBUSSY-"Serenade for the Doll" from 'Children's Corner'
by Hal Freedman
04/20/14 07:14 PM
Worth buying a new digital piano as a controller?
by slickvguy
04/20/14 05:49 PM
Video clip for classical music?
by Nikolas
04/20/14 05:43 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission