2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
72 members (20/20 Vision, clothearednincompo, Colin Miles, bcalvanese, booms, 36251, Bruce Sato, Carey, AlkansBookcase, 8 invisible), 1,944 guests, and 251 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 207 of 452 1 2 205 206 207 208 209 451 452
B
B
Finally found the time. It's a Small World from the Greatest Hits book is on my youtube page.

F
F

Banjoman -> I liked your It´s a Small World. Thanks for sharing.

I am at "Mary Ann" (page 37)

Alfred Adult All-In-One - level 1 - "Go Down, Moses" - page 133

C
C
Well that makes me feel a little better. That piece really gave me fits. I can't even count how many hours I ended up practicing it a measure at a time to finally get it. Now it's actually very easy to play. I'll have to spend some time going back through this thread now.

Working on learning the theory behind chords. I wrote a little tune of my own. Didn't plan on it ... it just came out one day when I was playing around with my new electric piano. Got the RH part down on paper then tried to add a LH part to it and struggled. Decided I needed to put it aside for a bit and go back to the Alfred's book and wouldn't you know I am right where they really start getting into how chords are built. Convenient for me.

Happy practicing!

~Celena

‎"Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life." ~Berthold Auerbach
F
F
Originally Posted by Celena

Working on learning the theory behind chords. I wrote a little tune of my own.

Very nice. I wish I was capable to do that.

My advise to you is to read this thread from the begining. You will find other people with same problems and their advises. I printed it in a PDF file to read it off-line.

F
F
Mary Ann was more difficult than I expect. My left hand did not want to play the chords at same time as right hand smile I am now in "Rockets" (page 40).

I am also training eigths to play "Bridal March" from Gil DeBennedetti page, using the page
http://www.piano-play-it.com/eighth-note.html

I am playing "The Four Seasons (spring)" from that page.

Instead metronome I use the "Session Partner accompaniment" (only with battery) that is more fun that just a "click", as was suggested here.

Hi Mark & fellow bloggers

It looks like Alfred's has made a change in their All-in-One Book 1 version for adults.

I was browsing at a local music store last week, & there I saw the book 1 in a new binding. Curious, I looked between the covers & saw, much to my surprise that Alfred's has, what appears to be a new edition of book 1! It appears still to have the same learning material as before, but book 1 no longer ends with Amazing Grace, as did mine. The new Alfred's book has added ~7 new pieces of music after Amazing Grace.

For some strange, illogical reason I feel cheated(?). The new book 1 is at the same price that I paid for mine 18 months ago, also, some of the new pieces I would have enjoyed learning to play. Unfortunately I don't anyone who has bought the new book 1 & copyright laws prevent the store from copying the new music for me. Rats. I've checked books 2 & 3 All-in-one & they have not been revised, yet. With my luck Alfred's will make changes to bk.2 just as I finish it next spring.

What are the names of the new pieces?

F
F

Is the Alfred Self Teaching Adult Piano Course, discussed in page 137? (yellow cover)

Hi All,

Sorry to be so tardy in responding you, starbug & fliper; I wasn't able to go back to the music store before today. I'm not sure, fliper, if it is the same book you were discussing on page 137 of this blog, since I couldn't find that one at the store.

starbug, here are the names of the 7 "bonus" pieces, as Alfred's calls them for bk. 1:

- Over the Rainbow
- At Last
- Singin' in the Rain
- Laura
- Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas
- The Ballad of Gilligan's Isle
- Chattanooga Choo Choo

The Alfred's Basic Adult Book 1, which includes a CD AND the Alfred's Adult All-in-One Book 1, which DOES NOT include a CD, contain these pieces. On the back covers of all of the Alfred adult piano books it states; "*Special Bonus! Level one now includes great arrangement of...." with titles of the pieces.

The old Alfred's basic book 1 ended at page 96; the new version goes to page 112. The old version of Alfred's all-in-one book 1 ended at page 143; the new version goes to page 159. Prices for both books, in my area haven't changed.

Cool, sounds like some good additions to the newest version. I guess we will hear more people talking about them on this thread as the years go by smile

F
F
Thanks 2picky4most. Did they say anything about "upgrade version for the owners of old book"? wink

G
G
Well, after a long summer and some practice here I am learning The entertainer.
Going hands together slowly is coming, just a small issue with the last 3/4 measures where I am not synchronized, right hand/left hand.

But it should be over for next week! Book1 is arriving at its end!

We will see if my teacher likes book 2 or what does she think...

Last edited by GustavoF; 09/30/10 08:21 AM.

Yamaha CLP 320

"The maze was so small that you got lost looking for it." by Terry Pratchett.

fliper, I wish.

I checked on the Alfred web site and there is nothing listed about "upgrades" for those of us who bought the older versions. I checked to see if Alfred's sold sheet music separately for the new songs. They do for some of them, and prices are ~ $4.00US.

Well, back to La Bamba.... It would be lovely I could make my fingers dance over the keys the way the song dances through in my mind.

I know, practice, practice and patience.

G
G
Well I haven't been active here in a few months, but for me I've just got into the beginning of book 2. I had a month and a half in which I got in around 3-5 hours a day and got through book 1 in around 2 months (give or take a week or 2), and I'm now up to La Bamba in book 2 (same as 2p4m).

I've kind of moved on though because I can play it full speed but I keep making the odd mistake just because I'm not perfect at the jumps without looking at the keys. So I'm working on Mexican hat dance (La Raspa and jolly good fellow were easy imo, had them both down in about half an hour each but I keep working on them) and I go back over them all from time to time.

Just thought I'd stop by here though before moving over to the book 2 thread.

Last edited by Giano; 09/30/10 11:52 AM.

I have been flying through the book, till I got to page 95, now I am doing about 2 pages per week. I am currently busy with "Good People", page 117.

Is this normal or am I slow and lazy?

Howser MD
---------

Started: 17 December 2009
Using : Alfred's All-In-One Level 2
Jazz Exercises, Minuets, Etudes & Pieces for Piano
Alfred Adult "Greatest Hits"
Masterwork Classics 1-2

[Linked Image]

Howser, it's common to move quickly through the beginning of the book and then to slow down just about where you are now. You're not slow and lazy. LOL Enjoy your journey.

Started piano Dec 2009
----------------------
Working on:
-Anything composed by D. Nevue
Originally Posted by GracieCat
Howser, it's common to move quickly through the beginning of the book and then to slow down just about where you are now. You're not slow and lazy. LOL Enjoy your journey.

Thanks CracieCat,

I am currently struggling with with fingering on Good People. Hopefully I will get used to it.

Howser MD
---------

Started: 17 December 2009
Using : Alfred's All-In-One Level 2
Jazz Exercises, Minuets, Etudes & Pieces for Piano
Alfred Adult "Greatest Hits"
Masterwork Classics 1-2

[Linked Image]

F
F

I am at "When the Saints Go Marching In" - page 45 of Alfred AIO book.

For some, the "Alfreds-Teach-Yourself-Play-Piano book" has different versions of same pieces.
http://www.amazon.com/Alfreds-Teach...ooks&qid=1286520750&sr=8-1-spell

DVD is nice, has true piano sound

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Howser, "Good People" was a tough one. I dropped it and came back to it later a few times before I got it down.

fliper, I had fun playing the LH version of "Saints", but found the RH version very awkward at first. That's great that the DVD has a true piano sound. Maybe Alfred was listening to its customers. I was very disappointed in the CD that came with my book.

mom3gram

[Linked Image]
yey so i have the book now.. im mastering the can can..

im having trouble with the half note part + bass . its so hard waaa..

Last edited by vocalists; 10/08/10 06:44 PM.

musicians never stop learning until they die
Page 207 of 452 1 2 205 206 207 208 209 451 452

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,282
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission