2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
23 members (HZPiano, admodios, johnesp, clothearednincompo, crab89, JohnCW, Georg Z., Joseph Fleetwood, 7 invisible), 1,274 guests, and 297 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
H
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
H
It's foolhardy to tackle Schubert's Wanderer-Fantasie (Allegro) as a first piece of music. Those that have cautioned me earlier, thank you for the consideration.

Well, I'm stubborn, and I'm still going at it. After almost a year, I'm still trying to learn it and play it.

I would like some advice. I think I'm doing well, but am I?

Please take a listen and tell me if you think I should continue with my attempt at the piece, given that this is my first piece and I've spent ten months on it. Determine my trajectory, if you will. Thank you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Poa4sF5RAwo

by the way, this is the first 2 pages of 5, and I have not brought the other 3 pages up to a reasonable tempo yet (that's what I'm trying to figure out--should I? or should I put it on the shelf for a bit?)

Last edited by hawgdriver; 09/27/10 01:51 AM.

Only in men's imagination does every truth find an effective and undeniable existence. Imagination, not invention, is the supreme master of art as of life. -Józef Teodor Konrad Korzeniowski
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
I took a listen to the first minute or so, in spite of my thinking this was ridiculous.
(Actually because, not in spite.) smile

From what I heard, you're doing very well -- so well that I have to wonder if this is a put-on.

P.S. There's a well-known pianist named Schub. You're not his cloned brother, are you? ha

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I question blanket statements like "It is foolhardy to learn x as a first piece."

Maybe, maybe not. Much depends upon who you are, your personality profile, your learning style, your goals.

If you stick with the tried-and-true academic path, you are sure to encounter material at your level that exacts technical demands applicable by most in that tier/grade/level/whatever. This is probably best for 98% of students.

For the minority, however, those who enjoy the challenge of unravelling things for themselves, to whom the unravelling process itself is a source of pleasure... why not? What harm can come of it and who is going to stop you? Moreover, who are others, except those close to you, to judge your capacity to learn, to identify specific technical areas for work and, well, work them?

From the Youtube, it sounds like you're having much fun with the piece.

I will warn you, without a technical foundation it is up to you to lay one. You must insert the appropriate beat emphasis for each beat. You must interpret voicing and phrasing. Certainly you are capable of this if you've come this far; just be aware of it.

http://www.ecital.net
Wikicital: A collaborative effort to build a knowledgebase of classical music history combined with examples. Your chance to both perform and write...

Don't click here!
Originally Posted by gerg
....You must insert the appropriate beat emphasis for each beat. You must interpret voicing and phrasing. Certainly you are capable of this if you've come this far; just be aware of it.

I'm surprised you're mentioning those things. Firstly, you're stating them as though they are basic fact, and in this case, IMO they're not. I mean, arguably Hawgdriver is doing those things quite enough (it's a matter of interpretation and taste) -- and for a (supposed) smile beginner, he's doing them to an incredible extent.

Is your main reaction not just being floored that a beginner playing his/her first piece would play this well?

That's mine.

The portion I heard is better than I would expect from most intermediate-level people, and better even than we'd hear from some who consider themselves advanced.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
That piano sounds very very weird. But the playing really isn't bad at all. Play what you love, then you will keep playing! After a long time one of the first pieces I picked up was Beethoven's Op90 second movement. It wasn't anywhere near my level at the time, but I loved it so much, I just kept playing it, and I learned it eventually, and still love the piece with all my heart. It might be good to pick up some easier pieces alongside this one though, to make sure you keep seeing your progress, and you don't get stuck or frustrated. Good luck!

And I agree with Mark C, if this is really your first piece (and I believe you on your word), then this is absolutely amazing, and you are doing very well!

Last edited by Victor25; 09/27/10 03:06 AM.

Currently working on: Perfecting the Op 2/1, studying the 27/2 last movement. Chopin Nocturne 32/2 and Posth. C#m, 'Raindrop' prelude and Etude 10/9
Repetoire: Beethoven op 2/1, 10/1(1st, 2nd), 13, 14/1, 27/1(1st, 2nd), 27/2, 28(1st, 2nd), 31/2(1st, 3rd), 49/1, 49/2, 78(1st), 79, 90, 101(1st)
Originally Posted by Victor25
....(and I believe you on your word).....

I'll say this:
If it's true what he's saying, then people nowadays are able to do far better from scratch than anyone did in the days when I was first learning.

And I don't just mean me. ha

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I'd just caution that when you venture into a piece way beyond your level that you be mindful of picking up bad playing habits, especially those that will injure you in the long run. It is harder to unlearn bad habits later on.

I've learnt from my violin learning process that it is not enough (for a student) to produce a nice sound but also the way it is produced (using all the appropriate techniques/postures/breathing etc).

Good luck!

Be yourself

O
O
Tubbie is right.

For the teachers on this forum it would be easier to find out if your doing ok at this early stage if they'd be able to watch you play rather than hearing you play.

For the pleasure of playing: Kemble Conservatoire
For practicing and gigging:Yamaha CP5

My (almost blank) youtube channel
V
V
It is really amazing if this is your first attempt at learning any piece of music. I am teaching it right now, it's a very difficult piece.

vk
NY Steinway D 423118
Yamaha UX 2499771
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Mark_C
Originally Posted by Victor25
....(and I believe you on your word).....

I'll say this:
If it's true what he's saying, then people nowadays are able to do far better from scratch than anyone did in the days when I was first learning.

And I don't just mean me. ha

Yup, I'm amazed by some of the talent that I've seen here and on YouTube. There's an absolute beginner on YT who had a very impressive repertoire after 1 year....way more than myself! ....and I'm not a true beginner either.

YouTube Channel
Scott Joplin Repertoire

Music washes away from the soul
the dust of everyday life.
- Berthold Auerbach

[Linked Image]
H
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
H
I appreciate the comments. I think I will continue to work to bring the rest of the piece up to tempo. This takes so much work, but I've noticed that it has made it easier to approach the other pieces I am excited to learn.

I am lobbying the House Ways and Means Committee (wife) to add new piano to Christmas budget.

I apologize that it is difficult to take one at his word on the internet, but what I say is honest.

Someone here said to follow your love and passion, and that is the only way you could do this, otherwise it's too hard, even for someone with a lot of discipline. I love this piece, and after playing it a bazillion times, I love it even more. I wish I had met the piano long ago.

Only in men's imagination does every truth find an effective and undeniable existence. Imagination, not invention, is the supreme master of art as of life. -Józef Teodor Konrad Korzeniowski
T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by hawgdriver

Please take a listen and tell me if you think I should continue with my attempt at the piece, given that this is my first piece and I've spent ten months on it. Determine my trajectory, if you will. Thank you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Poa4sF5RAwo

Hi there,

I do not know this piece of music, but I can tell you that you are learning a huge amount from it. There are some real technical challenges here (parallel octaves, counterpoint, separation of melodies in the hands).

If I may make a suggestion, it would be (1) carry on doing what you are doing and (2) take apart the arpeggio section and practice it really, really slowly. You might also like to practice the normal major and minor arpeggios too, just to concentrate on the technique. Get them slow and even.

M
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
M
Gyro would approve...

...I apologize that it is difficult to take one at his word on the internet, but what I say is honest....

And in that case, I apologize that I doubted.

Assuming that what you're saying is true, and it looks like it is, please realize it wasn't anything personal toward you. It's a reaction to how unbelievably well you are playing this piece!!

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
I am going to be brutally honest here. This is an accomplishment but it is not music. To my humble ears, this does not sound good.

It is obvious that you have what it takes: love for music and the will to work at it. You will achieve a lot more and thank yourself for it in a few years, if you went at it the right way..Put it to rest and expand your horizons. It is as if you have built a magnificent facade for a palace but you have yet to make the steps that lead to it and the foundation that will support the construct.

Having said that, I am just another jane schmoe over the internets.. You need not concern yourself with my opinion. smile

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
...I apologize that it is difficult to take one at his word on the internet, but what I say is honest....

And in that case, I apologize that I doubted.

Assuming that what you're saying is true, and it looks like it is, please realize it wasn't anything personal toward you. It's a reaction to how unbelievably well you are playing this piece!!

..and I of course believe you as well. You're not really "gaining" anything by making a false claim. smile Plus, it's not like you're claiming to be like this guy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JPh53BCJQKE

Like MarkC, I'm admiring the talent (and hard work) tackling a piece like this as your first. The adult beginner on YouTube that I referred to is also amazing.

YouTube Channel
Scott Joplin Repertoire

Music washes away from the soul
the dust of everyday life.
- Berthold Auerbach

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by Andromaque
I am going to be brutally honest here. This is an accomplishment but it is not music. To my humble ears, this does not sound good.....

Some people here are tough. smile

I thought it was hugely better than you're saying.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
I am going to be brutally honest here. This is an accomplishment but it is not music. To my humble ears, this does not sound good.....

Some people here are tough. smile

I thought it was hugely better than you're saying.

You never take off your other hat smile

R
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
R
Great work, I think if you can stick it out and finish it if you have the patience. But, to me, time spent in a year can be used to gain 6-7 easier (and by easier than Wanderer Fantasy, there's a whole lot to pick from) and just as beautiful pieces. Having 30+ minutes worth of very polished repertoire is also a great accomplishment as well, so don't hesitate to set this one aside for a bit and work with other music.

Last edited by Rui725; 09/27/10 10:53 PM.
.....You never take off your other hat smile

Funny, I thought most people here thought I was a _______. ha

(fill in the blank with whatever)

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,164
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission