Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1524546 - 09/28/10 06:10 PM University Practice Rooms
ChibiSF Offline

Loc: Long Island, New York
These things are starting to make me claustrophobic. The tiny rooms and poor ventilation are starting to make me a bit crazy. I think I'll go step out for some fresh air now...

(ad) Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#1524549 - 09/28/10 06:14 PM Re: University Practice Rooms [Re: ChibiSF]
ProdigalPianist Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Phoenix Metro, AZ
I personally think it's a wonder more college music students do not have hearing loss from those places. Tiny, very "live" spaces where very loud music is played for hours and hours on end every day!!

My only domestic quality is that I live in a house.

#1524558 - 09/28/10 06:17 PM Re: University Practice Rooms [Re: ChibiSF]
dolce sfogato Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Netherlands
any serious conservatory-student has to cope with that, small rooms, bad instruments, little practice-time, but, hey, we all came out alive and kicking!

Couperin pièces, Ravel tombeau de C

#1524561 - 09/28/10 06:21 PM Re: University Practice Rooms [Re: dolce sfogato]
ChibiSF Offline

Originally Posted By: dolce sfogato
any serious conservatory-student has to cope with that, small rooms, bad instruments, little practice-time, but, hey, we all came out alive and kicking!

Indeed. I do my best to try and find an empty classroom in order to practice, but I'm not always afforded that luxury.

#1524574 - 09/28/10 06:29 PM Re: University Practice Rooms [Re: ChibiSF]
dolce sfogato Offline
2000 Post Club Member

that's the problem all have to cope with, life at institutions is not Paradise, life after neither, it'll come, in the end, hopefully...cheers.

#1524616 - 09/28/10 07:48 PM Re: University Practice Rooms [Re: ProdigalPianist]
carey Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Phoenix, Arizona
Originally Posted By: ProdigalPianist
I personally think it's a wonder more college music students do not have hearing loss from those places. Tiny, very "live" spaces where very loud music is played for hours and hours on end every day!!

The hearing loss shows up 40 years later !! smile

#1524617 - 09/28/10 07:50 PM Re: University Practice Rooms [Re: dolce sfogato]
carey Offline
6000 Post Club Member

that's the problem all have to cope with, life at institutions is not Paradise, life after neither, it'll come, in the end, hopefully...cheers.

That's a very profound statement !! thumb

#1524619 - 09/28/10 07:51 PM Re: University Practice Rooms [Re: carey]
Andromaque Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York
Originally Posted By: carey

That's a very profound statement !! thumb

what comes, at the end?

#1524627 - 09/28/10 08:02 PM Re: University Practice Rooms [Re: ChibiSF]
dolce sfogato Offline
2000 Post Club Member

first: Purgatory, than: either Hell, or Paradise, this for the believers of many a religion, if not a believer: Memory by the ones left behind, a precious thought, and for the Nihilists: back to the elements, not mentioning worms and other inconveniances..I'm hovering between 2 of the options.

#1524652 - 09/28/10 09:17 PM Re: University Practice Rooms [Re: ChibiSF]
Kreisler Offline

Loc: Iowa City, IA
The odd thing is that a lot of college students actually put the LID UP in those tiny little rooms. I find that absolutely bizarre.
"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed

#1524659 - 09/28/10 09:42 PM Re: University Practice Rooms [Re: dolce sfogato]
carey Offline
6000 Post Club Member

first: Purgatory, then: either Hell, or Paradise, this for the believers of many a religion, if not a believer: Memory by the ones left behind, a precious thought, and for the Nihilists: back to the elements, not mentioning worms and other inconveniences..I'm hovering between 2 of the options.

Yes - and if given any choice in the matter I'd certainly pass on Hell and the worms. smokin

#1524666 - 09/28/10 10:08 PM Re: University Practice Rooms [Re: Kreisler]
ChibiSF Offline

Originally Posted By: Kreisler
The odd thing is that a lot of college students actually put the LID UP in those tiny little rooms. I find that absolutely bizarre.

There's one practice room (that's always occupied, even at 8 AM) that has a Yamaha C3 in it. There are specific instructions to leave the lid down, but even that wasn't the case, I don't think I would put the lid up.

#1524693 - 09/28/10 10:47 PM Re: University Practice Rooms [Re: ChibiSF]
jeffreyjones Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: San Jose, CA
Oberlin was great. The rooms in the "outer ring" were nice and big and had grand pianos in them, and there were tons of them. If they were all full, that's when you had to go into the "inner ring" and endure the tiny spaces and sketchy uprights.

#1524708 - 09/28/10 11:19 PM Re: University Practice Rooms [Re: ChibiSF]
WinsomeAllegretto Offline
500 Post Club Member

Ahhh I agree! Fortunately at my school, the practice rooms all have windows, so they aren't so claustrophobic. Further, the music teachers club decorated all the practice rooms in unique colors and styles. I love going in there to practice until I sit down to play the pianos...

But anyway, also fortunately, my piano teacher gave me a key to her office, which has a nice yamaha grand and a beautiful steinway grand, and I can practice in there anytime. I don't understand why the music faculty trusts me so much, but I am really happy that they do.

#1524716 - 09/28/10 11:38 PM Re: University Practice Rooms [Re: ChibiSF]
Orange Soda King Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Louisville, Kentucky, United S...
About hearing loss, my university is doing a big study on hearing problems now, and part of it is related to practice rooms.

The good piano rooms here are locked and only piano majors have the keys, and the pianos are taken care of fairly well... They are mostly Steinways. Can't complain, really.

#1524731 - 09/29/10 12:25 AM Re: University Practice Rooms [Re: ChibiSF]
ChibiSF Offline

Actually, I'm surprisingly pleased at the quality of the pianos. They are mostly fairly new Yamaha U1s, with Yamaha C3s used in the classrooms. There is a scattering of Steinway upright and grands in some classes as well . I think it's the lack of proper ventilation that started to get to me.

#1524876 - 09/29/10 08:53 AM Re: University Practice Rooms [Re: ChibiSF]
NWL Offline

My undergraduate college invested in something like thirty new Steinways the year AFTER I graduated. They definitely needed them, but I was mad as hell that it didn't happen three years earlier!

#1524912 - 09/29/10 10:29 AM Re: University Practice Rooms [Re: ChibiSF]
Pogorelich. Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: in the past
Originally Posted By: ChibiSF

Indeed. I do my best to try and find an empty classroom in order to practice, but I'm not always afforded that luxury.

God, I know. It's been days since I played on a grand for more than hour. More often than not, I'm stuck in a tiny box, with no window (except one on the door, so it kind of makes you feel like you're in a zoo) and a sh***y upright with a squeaking pedal.. So inspiring..

Oh and from that you go to a 9-foot beaten up Steinway to play a recital.. makes me wonder if our admin isn't even a bit embarrassed..

Edited by Pogorelich. (09/29/10 10:33 AM)

'I want to invest my emotions only in music; it will never disappoint me or hurt me - it is a safe place to be.'

#1524942 - 09/29/10 11:28 AM Re: University Practice Rooms [Re: ChibiSF]
Emphursis1 Offline

Loc: England, Leicestershire
This reminds me, I need to find out if my Uni has any kind of practice rooms, even though I am not doing a music degree. It's stil Freshers weeks though, so the fair may have some useful info.
Beethoven - Op 13 'Pathetique' Mvt.2

#1524943 - 09/29/10 11:29 AM Re: University Practice Rooms [Re: Pogorelich.]
carey Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Pogorelich.

God, I know. It's been days since I played on a grand for more than hour. More often than not, I'm stuck in a tiny box, with no window (except one on the door, so it kind of makes you feel like you're in a zoo) and a sh***y upright with a squeaking pedal.. So inspiring..

Oh and from that you go to a 9-foot beaten up Steinway to play a recital.. makes me wonder if our admin isn't even a bit embarrassed..

Well - you certainly deserve better than that !! Too bad your school can't (or won't) buy a new instrument for the recital hall or, at a minimum, upgrade some of those practice instruments.

In my undergrad years they "scheduled" the practice rooms - even those with the hideous pianos. When your hour was up you had to vacate, and (with luck) move to another room. In grad school it was a bit better because I shared a teaching studio with a couple of other grad students (voice instructors) and I was able to practice on that piano (a relatively new studio upright) in the evenings. When I started my DMA the practice pianos at the school were beyond awful - and the practice rooms lacked air conditioning (it was summertime in a large midwestern city). At that point I decided to buy my own studio upright so I could practice at home in our apartment. Drove my wife nuts - and the neighbors weren't real thrilled with it either. What's even funnier is that my teacher at the time seemed "surprised" when I told him I bought the upright.

#1525006 - 09/29/10 01:28 PM Re: University Practice Rooms [Re: ChibiSF]
KurtZ Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: The Heart of Screenland
Odd, I've been in the practice rooms at L.A. valley City College, Long Beach State and at USC Thornton. None of them were acoustically live.

Hearing loss: Etymotic Research ER-20s are about $12. They don't cut the highs nearly as much as foam plugs which I could not wear when playing drumset. I simply could not hear the cymbals. If you're worried, use the ER-20s for scales and etudes and working up and then yank them out when you're polishing a piece.

#1525130 - 09/29/10 04:20 PM Re: University Practice Rooms [Re: Pogorelich.]
carey Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Angelina -

You probably know this, but the practice rooms at Rice are very very nice. They even have windows !! I made a point to walk through the building a couple of years ago when I was visiting my son who was a graduate student in another department. The grands "looked" like they were in very good shape...but I could be wrong. smile

#1525214 - 09/29/10 07:18 PM Re: University Practice Rooms [Re: Orange Soda King]
ProdigalPianist Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Phoenix Metro, AZ
Originally Posted By: Orange Soda King
About hearing loss, my university is doing a big study on hearing problems now, and part of it is related to practice rooms.

Really? That's very interesting (and needed, I think).

Please report back on their findings/publications?

My only domestic quality is that I live in a house.

#1525231 - 09/29/10 07:51 PM Re: University Practice Rooms [Re: carey]
ChibiSF Offline

Angelina -

You probably know this, but the practice rooms at Rice are very very nice. They even have windows !! I made a point to walk through the building a couple of years ago when I was visiting my son who was a graduate student in another department. The grands "looked" like they were in very good shape...but I could be wrong. smile

Windows? What are those? lol

#1525245 - 09/29/10 08:38 PM Re: University Practice Rooms [Re: ChibiSF]
DameMyra Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: South Jersey
No windows, but we do have wonderful Steinway grands (most brand new)and a couple of Bostons (not the same. We have practice schedules that absolutely no one follows. Oh and supposedly the grands are serviced/tuned on Fridays.

#1525924 - 09/30/10 09:58 PM Re: University Practice Rooms [Re: DameMyra]
ChibiSF Offline

Originally Posted By: DameMyra
No windows, but we do have wonderful Steinway grands (most brand new)and a couple of Bostons (not the same. We have practice schedules that absolutely no one follows. Oh and supposedly the grands are serviced/tuned on Fridays.

Oh that's nice! There's one classroom that I like to use, which has an older, but well-mainted Steinway L. Big sound for a 5'10.5" piano.

#1525972 - 09/30/10 11:56 PM Re: University Practice Rooms [Re: carey]
Pogorelich. Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: in the past

Angelina -

Ah, actually they're not really that great.. A lot of dead sound, and if you don't stretch every 30-60 mins, you will get tendonitus haha..

I'm totally spoiled by a school that I used to be able to practice at regularly (and I still do in the summers). 152 rooms in total with grand pianos, always tuned and in good shape, beautiful concert halls with well-maintained German Steinways.

And that's how it should be!

'I want to invest my emotions only in music; it will never disappoint me or hurt me - it is a safe place to be.'

#1525974 - 10/01/10 12:12 AM Re: University Practice Rooms [Re: ChibiSF]
BruceD Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Victoria, BC
[...]
Windows? What are those? lol

As the Mac user said : "I don't do Windows!"

Cheers!

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
Our latest Issue is available now...
Piano News - Interesting & Fun Piano Related Newsletter! (free)
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
76 registered (36251, bennevis, anotherscott, Al LaPorte, AndrewJCW, barbaram, 19 invisible), 1489 Guests and 17 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75588 Members
42 Forums
156299 Topics
2295474 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Happy Birthday earlofmar !!!!
by CarlosCC
Today at 04:49 AM
Tight Key ??
by moy71
Today at 01:15 AM
Learning progress
by sunnyday
Today at 01:10 AM
How old is a Ahlborn-Galanti Digital Pipe Organ Chronicler
by Chopinlover49
Yesterday at 10:55 PM
1906 Steinway K52 purchase for recording studio?
by nlive
Yesterday at 10:44 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission