2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
21 members (cmoody31, dh371, Fried Chicken, 20/20 Vision, AlkansBookcase, admodios, clothearednincompo, crab89, 5 invisible), 1,234 guests, and 304 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
J
OP Offline
J
still record a hit on the counter, or has YouTube managed to ferret out the IP of the owner of the video and block him/her from constantly playing their videos in order to accumulates thousands of views? If not, what's to stop video posters from just playing their videos all day long in order to compile impressive tallies?

J
J_D Offline
J
I don't know, but anyone that does that:

A. Has too much time on their hands.
B. Should get a life.
C. Is deranged.
D. All of the above.

Correct Answer: D.

J.D.
Hailun 178
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
You Tube's view counter is not updated after every view but in fact only after a certain time.
And I am pretty sure that the submitter's IP address will be excluded from being counted.

And to J D : Being concerned about such an issue does not mean a person "has no life" and is "deranged" since people with YouTube videos that have a huge amount of viewings can arrange a "partnership" membership and start collecting revenue according to the amount of click-throughs on various ads that appear alongside the videos.

Last edited by Sparky McBiff; 09/28/10 09:31 PM.
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Hey, once in a while I pull up one of my son's videos off of his youtube page. It's a nice break from grading papers, preparing lectures, and writing. I think it would be odd for a parent never to do this. On the other hand, I sure hope that it doesn't pad the count. That would set up a truly perverse incentive.

Originally Posted by Sparky McBiff
Being concerned about such an issue does not mean a person "has no life" and is "deranged" since people with YouTube videos that have a huge amount of viewings can arrange a "partnership" membership and start collecting revenue according to the amount of click-throughs on various ads that appear alongside the videos.

Really? How do you do this? One of his videos is currently getting 250 to 600 hits per day. Small potatoes, to be sure, compared to viral things. Is there a charge for setting it up? If he could make even a few bucks a week, I'm sure he wouldn't object.

I'm pretty sure they don't multiple-count it if you do multiple hits.

And not only from the person who posted the video, but from anyone. I think they only count it once from any IP.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Piano*Dad
Really? How do you do this? One of his videos is currently getting 250 to 600 hits per day. Small potatoes, to be sure, compared to viral things. Is there a charge for setting it up? If he could make even a few bucks a week, I'm sure he wouldn't object.

Don't worry. YouTube/Google will contact you and suggest a partnership once videos reach a certain number of views. It happened to one of mine. smile

Mark,

No, that's certainly not the case. There is a function that allows you to chart total views, and "unique views." They realize that some people view the same video multiple times either to study it or just to enjoy it. The issue is whether or not they track views of the creators of the video to delete them from the total.

From YouTube's point of view, the more views the better, even if some of those views are repeat visits from the same person. Interest = potential revenue.

Ed,

Is there a threshold number?

And congratulations on the accomplishment. That says something about the interest level and value of your work in producing that video.

Mark,
No, that's certainly not the case. There is a function that allows you to chart total views, and "unique views."....

OK, I stand corrected! smile

I would guess, though (but this time without much confidence) smile that there's some provision to prevent unlimited multiple counts from any given IP.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Ed,

Is there a threshold number?

And congratulations on the accomplishment. That says something about the interest level and value of your work in producing that video.

Not too sure on the details. But big G will contact video owners once said video(s) reach critical mass. smile You really don't make a lot. Actually you can. But you have to have massive traffic. And a lot of vids have that.

Well, he has one that has passed 176,000 views. I guess that's not enough. Maybe it has to be measured in the millions.

B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
For a time utube did indeed count your own views as hits, sometimes. I think this might have changed when they did their big interface refresh earlier this year. When I posted my first utoob video I was at first amazed at how quickly people found it, until I observed that the counter would increase everytime I clicked on the video link myself, d0H.

Note that doing anything by ip address on the web is very problematic. Between DHCP and NAT, one can't make any assumptions about any particular ip address being connected to any one beyond minutes or hours (if at all depending on whether or not NAT is involved). This is one of the reasons that finding socks on a reliable basis can be an inexact science and why cookies are often utilized for tracking things.

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
I think it still does.

And you don't really have a life unless you do it over and over again. I still like watching my videos sometimes.

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,164
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission