2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
64 members (brennbaer, Animisha, Barly, bobrunyan, 1200s, 36251, benkeys, 20/20 Vision, 10 invisible), 1,869 guests, and 332 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#1524546 09/28/10 06:10 PM
ChibiSF Offline OP
OP Offline
These things are starting to make me claustrophobic. The tiny rooms and poor ventilation are starting to make me a bit crazy. I think I'll go step out for some fresh air now...

Conservatory of Music @ Brooklyn College
Piano Performance, Class of 2014
P
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
P
I personally think it's a wonder more college music students do not have hearing loss from those places. Tiny, very "live" spaces where very loud music is played for hours and hours on end every day!!

Adult Amateur Pianist

My only domestic quality is that I live in a house.
D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
any serious conservatory-student has to cope with that, small rooms, bad instruments, little practice-time, but, hey, we all came out alive and kicking!

Longtemps, je me suis couché de bonne heure, but not anymore!
ChibiSF Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted by dolce sfogato
any serious conservatory-student has to cope with that, small rooms, bad instruments, little practice-time, but, hey, we all came out alive and kicking!

Indeed. I do my best to try and find an empty classroom in order to practice, but I'm not always afforded that luxury.

D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
that's the problem all have to cope with, life at institutions is not Paradise, life after neither, it'll come, in the end, hopefully...cheers.

Platinum Supporter until November 30 2022
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted by ProdigalPianist
I personally think it's a wonder more college music students do not have hearing loss from those places. Tiny, very "live" spaces where very loud music is played for hours and hours on end every day!!

The hearing loss shows up 40 years later !! smile

Mason and Hamlin BB - 91640
Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Korg SP-100 Stage Piano
YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/pianophilo

that's the problem all have to cope with, life at institutions is not Paradise, life after neither, it'll come, in the end, hopefully...cheers.

That's a very profound statement !! thumb

Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Korg SP-100 Stage Piano
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by carey

That's a very profound statement !! thumb

what comes, at the end?

D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
first: Purgatory, than: either heck, or Paradise, this for the believers of many a religion, if not a believer: Memory by the ones left behind, a precious thought, and for the Nihilists: back to the elements, not mentioning worms and other inconveniances..I'm hovering between 2 of the options.

The odd thing is that a lot of college students actually put the LID UP in those tiny little rooms. I find that absolutely bizarre.

"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed

first: Purgatory, then: either heck, or Paradise, this for the believers of many a religion, if not a believer: Memory by the ones left behind, a precious thought, and for the Nihilists: back to the elements, not mentioning worms and other inconveniences..I'm hovering between 2 of the options.

Yes - and if given any choice in the matter I'd certainly pass on heck and the worms. smokin

Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Korg SP-100 Stage Piano
ChibiSF Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted by Kreisler
The odd thing is that a lot of college students actually put the LID UP in those tiny little rooms. I find that absolutely bizarre.

There's one practice room (that's always occupied, even at 8 AM) that has a Yamaha C3 in it. There are specific instructions to leave the lid down, but even that wasn't the case, I don't think I would put the lid up.

J
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
J
Oberlin was great. The rooms in the "outer ring" were nice and big and had grand pianos in them, and there were tons of them. If they were all full, that's when you had to go into the "inner ring" and endure the tiny spaces and sketchy uprights.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Ahhh I agree! Fortunately at my school, the practice rooms all have windows, so they aren't so claustrophobic. Further, the music teachers club decorated all the practice rooms in unique colors and styles. I love going in there to practice until I sit down to play the pianos...

But anyway, also fortunately, my piano teacher gave me a key to her office, which has a nice yamaha grand and a beautiful steinway grand, and I can practice in there anytime. I don't understand why the music faculty trusts me so much, but I am really happy that they do.

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
About hearing loss, my university is doing a big study on hearing problems now, and part of it is related to practice rooms.

The good piano rooms here are locked and only piano majors have the keys, and the pianos are taken care of fairly well... They are mostly Steinways. Can't complain, really.

ChibiSF Offline OP
OP Offline
Actually, I'm surprisingly pleased at the quality of the pianos. They are mostly fairly new Yamaha U1s, with Yamaha C3s used in the classrooms. There is a scattering of Steinway upright and grands in some classes as well . I think it's the lack of proper ventilation that started to get to me.

N
NWL Offline
N
My undergraduate college invested in something like thirty new Steinways the year AFTER I graduated. They definitely needed them, but I was mad as heck that it didn't happen three years earlier!

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by ChibiSF

Indeed. I do my best to try and find an empty classroom in order to practice, but I'm not always afforded that luxury.

God, I know. It's been days since I played on a grand for more than hour. More often than not, I'm stuck in a tiny box, with no window (except one on the door, so it kind of makes you feel like you're in a zoo) and a sh***y upright with a squeaking pedal.. So inspiring..

Oh and from that you go to a 9-foot beaten up Steinway to play a recital.. makes me wonder if our admin isn't even a bit embarrassed..

Last edited by Pogorelich.; 09/29/10 10:33 AM.

"The eyes can mislead, the smile can lie, but the shoes always tell the truth."
E
E
This reminds me, I need to find out if my Uni has any kind of practice rooms, even though I am not doing a music degree. It's stil Freshers weeks though, so the fair may have some useful info.

Repertoire:
Complete:
Beethoven- Op 27/2 'Moonlight' Mvt.1
Beethoven - Op 13 'Pathetique' Mvt.2

Originally Posted by Pogorelich.
Originally Posted by ChibiSF

God, I know. It's been days since I played on a grand for more than hour. More often than not, I'm stuck in a tiny box, with no window (except one on the door, so it kind of makes you feel like you're in a zoo) and a sh***y upright with a squeaking pedal.. So inspiring..

Oh and from that you go to a 9-foot beaten up Steinway to play a recital.. makes me wonder if our admin isn't even a bit embarrassed..

Well - you certainly deserve better than that !! Too bad your school can't (or won't) buy a new instrument for the recital hall or, at a minimum, upgrade some of those practice instruments.

In my undergrad years they "scheduled" the practice rooms - even those with the hideous pianos. When your hour was up you had to vacate, and (with luck) move to another room. In grad school it was a bit better because I shared a teaching studio with a couple of other grad students (voice instructors) and I was able to practice on that piano (a relatively new studio upright) in the evenings. When I started my DMA the practice pianos at the school were beyond awful - and the practice rooms lacked air conditioning (it was summertime in a large midwestern city). At that point I decided to buy my own studio upright so I could practice at home in our apartment. Drove my wife nuts - and the neighbors weren't real thrilled with it either. What's even funnier is that my teacher at the time seemed "surprised" when I told him I bought the upright.

Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Korg SP-100 Stage Piano
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,194
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission