2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
65 members (Animisha, Barly, bobrunyan, brennbaer, 1200s, 36251, benkeys, 20/20 Vision, 10 invisible), 1,865 guests, and 315 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#1522292 09/25/10 09:03 AM
S
OP Offline
S
Hi all
My name is Stuart and im going to be a real pain in the behind with all the questions im going to ask. Im learning music theory on my own to help me understand piano (which i have only just started learning). Im going to say thank you now to everyone who will start to pull their own hair out with frustration to my constant "but why" questions.

Cheers Guys and Gals.
Stuart

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Welcome! I'm about a week old in this forum. Good luck and hope you'll find this forum helpful and friendly.

Be yourself

T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
Hi Stuart and Tubbie!

Ask away - especially theory questions. A little bit of theory goes a long way, in helping you to learn piano.

Good luck and enjoy your music! smile

G
G
I'm new here also & will soon become a PITA with my questions about digital pianos too. I have already ordered the Alfred's All In One Adult Beginners Course Volumes 1,2 & 3. Will start my studies soon. Haven't purchased a piano yet I'm looking now. There is such a bewildering amount of digital pianos out there it makes my head spin. What I do know is that when I buy one I want one with enough features to keep me satisfied so I don't have to update every couple of years. Hate doing that! Anyway I'm very happy to be here & hope to learn a bunch.

Greg
Roland RD700NX, KS-G8 Stand, RPU-3 Pedals
Mackie MR5 Speakers
May You Be In Heaven A Half Hour Before The Devil Knows You're Dead...
B
B
Piano is not as bad as you may think. You may want to go in head first and that's o.k, but remember you are going to half to spend some long boring hours playing what you don't like. I'm about 8 months in and it is just starting to become fun. Trust me, it will be worth it in the end.

Piano to me, is just one of those instruments, where people who can't play are jealous of those who can. I am.
If someone is better than me, it makes me just want to play harder. Keep at it. Hour, 45 minutes a day and in just a year(which is a very small fraction of your life) you will being to entertain yourself and the many people around you. And it's free!!!

Douglas

S
OP Offline
S
I tend to do at least 3 hours a day, some reading, some scales at the moment. I do tend to concentrate quite alot on theory.

Originally Posted by basskid
Piano is not as bad as you may think. You may want to go in head first and that's o.k, but remember you are going to half to spend some long boring hours playing what you don't like. I'm about 8 months in and it is just starting to become fun. Trust me, it will be worth it in the end.

Piano to me, is just one of those instruments, where people who can't play are jealous of those who can. I am.
If someone is better than me, it makes me just want to play harder. Keep at it. Hour, 45 minutes a day and in just a year(which is a very small fraction of your life) you will being to entertain yourself and the many people around you. And it's free!!!

Douglas

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Welcome to the forum, Stuart, Tubbie, and Greg! smile

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Welcome Stuart, Tubbie, and Greg.....

....enjoy the forum an enjoy to play your piano....music.....so nice....

Best regards,
JoHan B

[Linked Image]
Kawai CA95SB (Previous:Yamaha CLP320PE & DGX620)
Motto's:
'Music is a way of living' & 'Nil volentibus arduum'

https://youtube.com/user/JohanBenjaminsMusic
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Welcome Stuart, Tubbie, and Greg!!!!
This is the best forum in the world. Enjoy!

[Linked Image]
SoundCloud | Youtube
Self-taught since Dec2009
"Don't play what's there, play what's not there."
F
F
Originally Posted by stuart54
I tend to do at least 3 hours a day, some reading, some scales at the moment. I do tend to concentrate quite alot on theory.

Douglas

Three hours is a lot of time for a beginner to spend at the keyboard. While that is certainly an appropriate amount for an advanced student, as a newcomer you may be risking a repetitive strain injury. Please read this thread about Teodor's experience: Teodor's injury

Piano self teaching on and off from 2002-2008. Took piano instruction from Nov 2008- Feb 2011. Took guitar instruction Feb 2011-Jul 2013. Can't play either. Living, breathing proof some people aren't cut out to make music.
S
OP Offline
S
Think ive already done something. Problem is. i recently had a metal plate put in my wrist because of an accident, now its starting to hurt a bit.
Not all of the 3 hours is at the piano, most is throry from web and books.
Originally Posted by FormerFF
Originally Posted by stuart54

Douglas

Three hours is a lot of time for a beginner to spend at the keyboard. While that is certainly an appropriate amount for an advanced student, as a newcomer you may be risking a repetitive strain injury. Please read this thread about Teodor's experience: Teodor's injury

D
D
I've been playing, teaching and studying classical and popular now for over 63 years. I've had over 100 students, many of whom have gone on to be professional pianists for film and other venues.

If you're mainly interested in classical, you are making a big mistake in using any of the "Alfred's" methods. Those are mainly for "casual" and/or pop music pianists. If you want to play and eventually perform classical, the best method, old as it may be, are the John Thompson method books. There is also a John Thompson "Adult Beginner's Book" - - - you can order any or all of them from Amazon. I use them for all of my students, beginners or advanced.

Free advice from an expert who has "been there and done that".
Donn Xavier

D
D
I've been playing, teaching and studying classical and popular now for over 63 years. I've had over 100 students, many of whom have gone on to be professional pianists for film and other venues.

If you're mainly interested in classical, you are making a big mistake in using any of the "Alfred's" methods. Those are mainly for "casual" and/or pop music pianists. If you want to play and eventually perform classical, the best method, old as it may be, are the John Thompson method books. There is also a John Thompson "Adult Beginner's Book" - - - you can order any or all of them from Amazon. I use them for all of my students, beginners or advanced.

Free advice from an expert who has "been there and done that".
Donn Xavier

You may want to go in head first and that's o.k, but remember you are going to half to spend some long boring hours playing what you don't like.

Why should this be the case? I am a little over 3 weeks in, and I am not taking lessons or any learning program. I just downloaded a few sheets online and dove right in, so I'm spending hours and hours playing only what I like. Progress is slow but steady.

True, I will not know much of the theory apart from what I figure out myself and my technique will probably be horrible, but my goal is not to be able to play EVERY song in the history of civilisation impeccably, only to play the songs I choose well enough to sound good.

Bad idea?

edit: I should add that I am not too interested in playing classical pieces, if that makes a difference...

Last edited by gctKAZ; 09/29/10 04:50 PM.
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Welcome stuart54. I'm also a total newby, both in this forum and in piano playing.

Me on YouTube

Casio PX-5S. Garritan CFX, Production Grand 2 Gold, Concert Grand LE, AcousticSamples C7, some Sampletekks. Pianoteq 8 Std (Blüthner, SteinGraeber, NY/HB Steinway D).
S
OP Offline
S
My aim is to learn enough music theory to be able to play more instruments and compose modern music using studio software at first. So although i like classical music, im not that interested in playing it or composing symphonies. Having said that, book recommendations are always helpful to learn different styles and way of doing things, so that will go on my amazon wish list. Thanks
Stuart.

S
OP Offline
S
If that's what you want, then i totally agree with you. I also think that once you know enough theory, you can simply learn the songs you like anyway....I cant see why you need to only play a certain type of music. If that type of music is helpful for learning, then fair enough, but why is it the ONLY type of music you should play. As long as the stuff you want to play doesn't result in errors or bad habits, then go for it !!
Originally Posted by gctKAZ
You may want to go in head first and that's o.k, but remember you are going to half to spend some long boring hours playing what you don't like.

Why should this be the case? I am a little over 3 weeks in, and I am not taking lessons or any learning program. I just downloaded a few sheets online and dove right in, so I'm spending hours and hours playing only what I like. Progress is slow but steady.

True, I will not know much of the theory apart from what I figure out myself and my technique will probably be horrible, but my goal is not to be able to play EVERY song in the history of civilisation impeccably, only to play the songs I choose well enough to sound good.

Bad idea?

edit: I should add that I am not too interested in playing classical pieces, if that makes a difference...

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,194
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission