2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
29 members (crab89, clothearednincompo, APianistHasNoName, Fried Chicken, CraiginNZ, bwv543, Cominut, 9 invisible), 1,250 guests, and 280 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
Hello, everybody!

Here is this week's episode.

Haddorff Postcard No.8 with Bach snippets

And this week's musical number, which has nothing to do with this week's episode, really, is from Walt Disney's Mary Poppins, an instrumental rendering of the song "The Perfect Nanny," played pretty much note for note from the Mary Poppins Souvenir Song Album from 1963. WinsomeAllegretto's thread about "the first piano piece you remember hearing," caused me to dig out this book! I was drawn to this piece because the 3rds, 4ths, 5ths, and 7ths sound so darn neat in EBVT III. Plus, the tune is so darn cute! The Shermans were geniuses! This recording features my piano with no enhancement. Straight from the microphone to your ear! Well, maybe not that simple, but... here it is:

The Perfect Nanny Music and lyrics by Richard M. Sherman and Robert B. Sherman (Burbank, CA: Wonderland Music Co., 1963)

Haddorff Postcard [No.1] with "Deep Purple"
Haddorff Postcard No.2 with "I Love Her"
Haddorff Postcard No.3 with "Yes, Sir! That's My Baby"
Haddorff Postcard No.4 with "Mistress Murphy's Chowder"
Haddorff Postcard No.5 with "All Alone"
Haddorff - (no postcard) with "He Wipes The Tear From Every Eye" played on the Haddorff
Haddorff Postcard No.6 with "Constantinople"
Haddorff Pictures (no postcard, yet)
Haddorff Postcard No.7 with a couple of Scriabin Preludes

My Piano In EBVT III

Warm regards,
--Andy Strong

Last edited by Cinnamonbear; 09/20/10 12:42 AM.

I may not be fast,
but at least I'm slow.

Platinum Supporter until November 30 2022
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Postcard #8 is hilarious - brilliant - and so true !!

Our piano is located in the living room next to the front door. Last February, while I was "trying" to record a bunch of piano stuff over a period of several days, the phone kept ringing, door-to-door salespersons appeared out of nowhere, the neighbor's dogs barked incessantly, and birds chirped along to the music (loudly) in the large tree in our front yard. Then the wife would come home and ask how my day went...... smokin

You nailed it, Andy !!

The Haddorff sounds wonderful !!

Mason and Hamlin BB - 91640
Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Korg SP-100 Stage Piano
YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/pianophilo
C
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
C
Heh. I nearly posted my favorite line out of this postcard, but I caught myself before ruining it for others.

Carey, I understand. A few years ago I paid a professional producer to record me playing on my piano at home. Neighbors came to the door. The weekly NOISY trash pickup made it impossible to record for a short while. Etc. Etc. Argh! We eventually made it through, and with some deft editing a decent CD emerged from the whole thing.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Great, Andy! Funny, funny, funny!

It sums up my piano playing perfectly - it seems someone or something is always interrupting my playing, whether it's the telephone, neighbors, my girlfriend, or concerned listeners begging me to stop the pain.

I was waiting for the boy at the door to sarcastically ask you how long it would take to raise money for a piano with $2 donations heh heh!

Haddy seems a wonderful piano, as ever. I liked your Bach, by the way!

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Yes, that is so true! Funny and true!
That's why my phone is usually off, and the batteries are out of the door chime... ha
Even worse, when I did a recording, something used to happen in the last couple of measures or so, never at the beginning... cursing

[Linked Image]

Music is my best friend.

4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
Does anyone know where Canonie is? We haven't heard from him in two or three weeks! frown I am taking attendance!

You know how I like to reference other threads in my posts... Did any of you catch the joke in this episode related to this thread? (Please don't click if you haven't listened to the postcard, yet...)

Just wondering. smile

I may not be fast,
but at least I'm slow.
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Andy, lovely Bach! Nice tempo, musical sense, melody lines, beautiful tone. I'm learning the first invention now, quite a challenge to bring up both melody lines smoothly.

BTW, very funny episode! smile

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Hello!!!
Oh Andy Hahahahahaha! I think I appreciate your wonderful subtle humour (as distinct from your blatant humour, which is...ummm well...Funny!(mostly))

Listen to postcard before reading spoiler.
YOu know I didn't pick IT up until the beginning of the Debussy, as soon as the debussy began I burst out laughing because I could suddenly "hear" the doorbell reference in the opening bar (measure) and then I was waiting for IT with that delicious feeling of anticipation.. laugh But I hadn't noticed anything at all during all the Bach snippets - at least not consciously. Isn't it strange how the mind works? Then of course I went back and listened from the beginning of the postcard and was delighted. Absolutely delighted - Andy you have made my day! I especially liked the miss-hit note on Haddie at end of 2ndBachSnippet - that was lucky wasn't it!? haha. And then The Trill - Brilliant! This touch is the perfect escalation of the idea.
You delivered your musical joke so carefully and perfectly, just subtle enough that one finally gets it by the end. Interesting that you guessed how much I would appreciate all the detail in this - how did you know? I will check your spoiler now and it may tell me. Thank you again!

PS I miss Out-Of-Tune-Haddie.... but then I am a little strange wink

[Linked Image]
Composers manufacture a product that is universally deemed superfluous—at least until their music enters public consciousness, at which point people begin to say that they could not live without it.
Alex Ross.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Just read all the comments, and spoiler (didn't see the other thread before as I haven't been to pw much lately, as you so kindly noticed smile )

I think that posters have been so traumatized by local attacks of pianus interruptus that they were distracted from noticing how nicely put together this is. Me, I live in an unmarked flat behind a house. So I get no unsolicited interruptions - none! it is lovely smile Your editing gets better and better Andy. Well done.

[Linked Image]
Composers manufacture a product that is universally deemed superfluous—at least until their music enters public consciousness, at which point people begin to say that they could not live without it.
Alex Ross.
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
Canonie!!! You are back! See?!?! That is why I missed you! You get all my jokes! laugh

I miss out-of-tune Haddie, too. She was so right in so many ways! I'm glad I have the recordings of her, like a sonic photograph.

Thanks for listening, everybody!

carey and ChrisKeys, you may have caught this, but if you listen carefully in the background, the first time the salesperson is at the door, you can hear a plane flying over. The second time he is there (it is brief) there is a motorcycle going by. When the little boy is at the door, my cat decided to meow. These were all unplanned, spontaneous background noises! Ha-ha-ha!

Mattardo and ChopinAddict, I had my wife read your comments because she could never understand why the phone is always unplugged from the wall when she gets home! grin And, Mattardo, why I get so wry when she starts singing along "doot-dee-doo!" when I am trying to practice! smirk

Al-mahed, fortunately, you heard less than a page of each invention. If you had heard more, your opinion would be different. Due to "pianus interruptus" (thank you Canonie--I did not know it had a name, before...), I have not been able to learn the rest of each piece...

I may not be fast,
but at least I'm slow.

"pianus interruptus" ---- what a hoot !!! grin

Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Korg SP-100 Stage Piano
B
B
A stupid question laugh
At 3.38 what piece are you playing? laugh

Check these videos
A Beautiful Piano Song (better version)
A Beautiful Piano Song

Thumb up if you like it and feel free to leave good comments and subscribe laugh
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Baracat
A stupid question laugh

I think that is Debussy's Doorbell Prelude, more commonly known as Clair De Lune.

Oops, at 3.38 the piece is actually Bach Invention no. 14 The Doorchimes (this nickname was added many years later and is looked down on by serious pianists)
wink

[Linked Image]
Alex Ross.
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Canonie
Originally Posted by Baracat
A stupid question laugh

I think that is Debussy's Doorbell Prelude, more commonly known as Clair De Lune.

Oops, at 3.38 the piece is actually Bach Invention no. 14 The Doorchimes (this nickname was added many years later and is looked down on by serious pianists)
wink

As Canonie has expressed, yes, at 3:38 or so, it is Bach Invention no. 14. Sorry Baracat, it was stupid of me to not list the tunes somewhere in the introduction. No one should be expected to know everything in the entire universe from all time! smile In fact, I didn't even know it was no. 14 until Canonie said so, then I had to go look at the others to find out what they were. I usually just open the book and start playing! grin So, here they are, in the order that they appear:

Bach's "Two-Part Inventions," nos. 1, 3, 14; Debussy's "Clair de Lune;" and, Bach's "Two-Part Inventions," no. 4.

I would also like to say that "The Perfect Nanny," by the Shermans, is a perfect composition and needed no improvement, as the Beethoven that I posted earlier this year, did. wink (hee-hee-hee)

Last edited by Cinnamonbear; 09/29/10 10:54 AM. Reason: diction

I may not be fast,
but at least I'm slow.
B
B
Thank you two laugh
Now I have to search for this piece laugh

Check these videos
A Beautiful Piano Song (better version)
A Beautiful Piano Song

Thumb up if you like it and feel free to leave good comments and subscribe laugh
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by ChopinAddict
That's why my phone is usually off, and the batteries are out of the door chime... ha
Even worse, when I did a recording, something used to happen in the last couple of measures or so, never at the beginning... cursing

Sorry to bump this thread, but there is more comedy to be had! laugh And, it fits so perfectly with ChopinAddict's observation, that I just had to post it!

I was deep in concentration recording a Chopin prelude recently, when my wife walked through the door with an armload of groceries and said...

http://www.box.net/shared/gavkx06ak8

--Andy grin

I may not be fast,
but at least I'm slow.
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Cinnamonbear

Sorry to bump this thread, but there is more comedy to be had! laugh And, it fits so perfectly with ChopinAddict's observation, that I just had to post it!

I was deep in concentration recording a Chopin prelude recently, when my wife walked through the door with an armload of groceries and said...

--Andy grin

yippie smile

[Linked Image]

Music is my best friend.

Originally Posted by Cinnamonbear

--Andy grin

Andy -

I listened three times - and couldn't understand exactly what your wife said....but perhaps that wasn't the point of your post.

Of course - I can relate. grin

Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Korg SP-100 Stage Piano
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
LOL..."the refrigerator's off"..........;)

Originally Posted by Grandpianoman
LOL..."the refrigerator's off"..........;)

So - was it ?????? grin

Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Korg SP-100 Stage Piano
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,178
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission