2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
67 members (ChickenBrother, Barly, 1957, btcomm, brennbaer, CharlesXX, Animisha, bobrunyan, 13 invisible), 1,972 guests, and 348 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
T
OP Offline
T
... when i tell people my one year old has been at the piano with me since a few months old and now be bangs away at the keys every chance she gets and the only response I've heard is...

"Yeah thats great... piano helps with math... fractions and stuff."

OMG... While that may be true is everyone missing the point of playing music is to play music??? Jeez is there no creative capacity left?

P.S. BTW my tech is the only one that said, "Wow wouldnt it be funny if she turns out to be a virtuoso?"

Gotta give credit where credit is due.

Charles Walter Model W (190)

“The aim and final end of all music should be none other than the glory of God and the refreshment of the soul.” J.S. Bach

"I just want to know, if we came from monkeys and apes, WHY DO WE STILL HAVE MONKEYS AND APES?" George Carlin
E
E
It is great in so many ways to let your child play away (or bang) i don't have kids of my own but whenever I have babies or children over I let them play, or hold them at the piano, even though what sounds to us like banging, sounds good to them. I am all about encouraging creativity and I think that it helps them develop who they are. I am sure that it does help with math, but I think it also gives them the freedom of expression without words, helps to expand their minds, gives them something to be proud of. When a child learns any musical intrument or any art atall then when they get older they will have something that is theirs and that they can go to and express themselves when they feel like nobody else will listen, anyways I could go on and on with benefits that you obviously already know but just wanted to let you know that I understand.

M
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
M
That's one of the problems with all these publicized studies about the benefits of studying music: it has nothing to do with the benefits of music itself, and more with how it helps other non-musical things. What's wrong with music for music's sake?

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
My one-year-old also loves playing on the keyboard any chance he gets, which is unfortunately sometimes right in the middle of a full run-through of my pieces. Oh well. Such is life. If I can keep focused while a toddler is smashing away at some keys then a recital shouldn't be a problem, right?

Pianist and teacher with a 5'8" Baldwin R and Clavi CLP-230 at home.

New website up: http://www.studioplumpiano.com. Also on Twitter @QQitsMina
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
I remember reading in "Wonderous Strange" that as a toddler, Glenn Gould would play a single note on the piano and then listen to it until it faded.

Encourage your little one!

Best regards,

Deborah
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
It's good for babies in general to have something react to their action. I think the piano is one of the action-consequence toys around!

Now that I've got more time to wax long about my kid, he definitely understands that what he does affects the way the piano sounds. He experiments with dynamics, with range, sometimes with tone. It's kind of unbelievable - my teacher (who is childless) doesn't believe it at all - but I know his little brain is working and taking it all in. So before you even get to the whole music and math thing you can see that the piano is a wonderful learning tool for any baby.

The smile that lights up his face any time he gets placed in front of the piano is also well worth it.

T
OP Offline
T
yeah thats great... my little girl claps instead, then plays with both hands for a while and then claps again for herself... its a riot.

at 1o months she copied me and ascended up the keys one at a time... and of course clapped again and then attempted back down.

pretty cool.

“The aim and final end of all music should be none other than the glory of God and the refreshment of the soul.” J.S. Bach

"I just want to know, if we came from monkeys and apes, WHY DO WE STILL HAVE MONKEYS AND APES?" George Carlin
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Mine won't clap. We know he can. He just has never clapped and doesn't show any interest in it. This is the same child who can walk great but can't stand up by himself. Weird. I will just have to be patient and let him do things in his own time.

Teach her solfege!

T
OP Offline
T
my girl did the same thing... she's always in such a hurry to do things she started walking before she could get up on her own too, she always used the couch or chair or something to get her self to stand up almost as soon as she could crawl... so impatient.

L
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
L
"Am I the only one that finds it irritating that..."

No you aren't the only one.

And what about this :

Originally Posted by Kreisler
(Plus, it's often a very good motivator and educational experience. There are many, many fields which require adherence to a deadline and communicating with an audience, so the educational value, at least for younger students, reaches far beyond the musical realm.)

Hey, next time somebody brags about how good their kid is at math, tell them

"Yeah thats great... math helps with music... piano and tubas and stuff."

+1 to keystring!

Terry@cincyrockers.com
www.theplayerpianoshop.com
F
F
I think it's some silly marketing ploy that music helps math or the other way around. It's all about the work you put into whatever you're doing.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by fuzzy8balls
I think it's some silly marketing ploy that music helps math or the other way around. It's all about the work you put into whatever you're doing.

I agree completely about it being the work you put in that matters most come bottom line, but music is FULL of math and while there's no need to completely understand trig in order to play the WTC, math and music are intertwined much more than meets the eye.

"And if we look at the works of J.S. Bach — a benevolent god to which all musicians should offer a prayer to defend themselves against mediocrity... -Debussy

"It's ok if you disagree with me. I can't force you to be right."

♪ ≠ $

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,386
Posts3,349,204
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission