2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
68 members (anotherscott, Bellyman, Carey, brennbaer, busa, Barly, 1957, 13 invisible), 2,012 guests, and 318 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
it wouldn't matter what you looked like if you wore this sheet music dress,

accompanist/organist.. a non-MTNA teacher to a few

love and peace, Õun (apple in Estonian)
A
A
That dress is hideous lol

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by apple*
as ia said, beauty doesn't last unless it's inner.

Do you know Tom Lykis? If you are a female, he will love to have you on his show. I know what he will ask you.

A
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by bryanw

Exactly!
[Linked Image]

Well indeed...
[Linked Image]

Jason
A
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by bryanw
That dress is hideous lol

Wouldn't care to take her to a classy restaurant. People might get the wrong idea.

Jason
D
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
D
In any profession, it helps to be good-looking. The public thinks that good-looking people are smarter and better at their job. But thin? Not the same thing. Very thin women make me feel sick. So do extremely extremely fat women who are more than a hundred pounds overweight. I don't know any men thin enough to make me sick, but lots of men are fat enough to do so.

Sadly, society is not exactly the same for men and for women. Very fat men are more easily accepted than are very fat women.

Anyone who is extremely thin or extremely fat should change their habits and try to improve their health.

Anyway, the real point is, whether you are in music, or law, or plumbing, or digging ditches, people will think you are better and smarter if you are good-looking. This is no reason to change your mind about music, because everywhere else is the same thing too.

(I'm a piano teacher.)
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
If we had to depend on just the "beautiful people" to entertain us I for one would be dying of boredom!!!

I'll figure it out eventually.
Until then you may want to keep a safe distance.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Well, unfortunately there is some truth to it.. I can think of one (very well known) pianist in particular who likes small Asian girls, and guess what most of his studio is composed of?

But then again, just because someone looks okay or good doesn't mean they are automatically crappy musicians..

"The eyes can mislead, the smile can lie, but the shoes always tell the truth."
A
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by Little_Blue_Engine
If we had to depend on just the "beautiful people" to entertain us I for one would be dying of boredom!!!

Dunno. In pop music all bets are off. One of the most electrifying jazz concerts I ever saw was Flora Purim... she was outstanding. Alas, not terribly 'eye candy' territory. Google if you wish.

OTH, I've seen this one in concert a few times and was not remotely disappointed:
[Linked Image]
And I WISH I could have seen this powerhouse in concert. Long before I was born, but her singing must have been a force to reckon with. My mother introduced me to her albums:
[Linked Image]

Jason
Originally Posted by DameMyra
One of my favorite pianists, Plamena Mangova, came in 2nd in the 2007 QEC. Talent will always out in the end.

Thanks for that post, and I concur with your assessment. I enjoyed watching her performance.

Charles R. Walter, Model 1500 (2009 w/Renner action), Satin Ebony
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Ah ... Grace Slick. A beautiful girl with a powerhouse of a voice. Surrealistic Pillow actually wore down on my turntable. smile

A
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by Pogorelich.

But then again, just because someone looks okay or good doesn't mean they are automatically crappy musicians..

I'm thinking of Richard Goode. Nothing fabulous to look at, but what a musician! His Bach, Beethoven, Schubert, Brahms... need I say more?

Andras Schiff never matched Zac Efron in his prime, but he certainly has his admirers, and many on this board gain much that is positive from his videos. His snobbish attitude about Liszt and Rachmaninov is a total turnoff to me, and sour memories of a concert where he played the Brahms D minor still haunt me. I never saw a pianist walk on stage with such a condescending look on his face, nose in the air. It was awful. I suppose he played well, but I don't remember.

Jason
D
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
D
People who are not good looking can certainly have big careers as entertainers. They probably need more hard work and more luck.

And of course good looks can be a matter of opinion.

(I'm a piano teacher.)
A
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by eweiss
Ah ... Grace Slick. A beautiful girl with a powerhouse of a voice. Surrealistic Pillow actually wore down on my turntable. smile

Pillow was a great album -folkish-pop-psychedelic- but IMO Jefferson Airplane's greatest album was After Bathing at Baxters. Grace was at the height of her powers, but alas, the music making was just too sophisticated (it was called 'atonal pop'), and they left many of their listeners completely baffled. The subsequent album to that, Crown of Creation was a concession.

But of course I wasn't there at the time, though I've studied these albums, and when I look at a lot of pop music today, do people realize what was going back then?

Jason
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by argerichfan

I'm thinking of Richard Goode. Nothing fabulous to look at, but what a musician! His Bach, Beethoven, Schubert, Brahms... need I say more?

Andras Schiff never matched Zac Efron in his prime, but he certainly has his admirers, and many on this board gain much that is positive from his videos. His snobbish attitude about Liszt and Rachmaninov is a total turnoff to me, and sour memories of a concert where he played the Brahms D minor still haunt me. I never saw a pianist walk on stage with such a condescending look on his face, nose in the air. It was awful. I suppose he played well, but I don't remember.

Hmm, I don't know who that is. Should I bother checking him out?

I remember I was really enchanted by Ivo when I first discovered him. I guess looks don't play SUCH a bad part.. =)

"The eyes can mislead, the smile can lie, but the shoes always tell the truth."
D
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
D
Richard Goode, while nothing fabulous to look at, is not ugly either, just average looking I guess; and a genuinely nice man. I would love to meet him.

Courtney Love is (to me) positively ugly, and I wouldn't jump at the chance to meet her, but she makes big bucks as an entertainer.

I'm not sure what Jane Eaglen looks like; the camera seems to have a tough time getting close enough to get her face in focus. smile But sometimes she sounds like the most beautiful woman in the world. smile

(I'm a piano teacher.)
A
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
A

I remember I was really enchanted by Ivo when I first discovered him. I guess looks don't play SUCH a bad part.. =)

Ivo's picture on his recording of the Tchaikovsky concerto was... well a knock out.

Jason
A
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by david_a

I'm not sure what Jane Eaglen looks like; the camera seems to have a tough time getting close enough to get her face in focus. smile But sometimes she sounds like the most beautiful woman in the world. smile

Jane is enormous... I have heard her live at Covent Garden... glorious singing, but we got that from Jessye Norman and Rita Hunter too, LARGE women! Birgit Nilsson proved that one didn't need to be built like Israel Kamakawiwoʻole to sing the great dramatic soprano roles.

I would love to meet Richard Goode. For some annoying reason I have yet to hear him live in concert. But I will be back stage when that happens...

Jason
C
C
In almost any endeavor, attractiveness is rewarded.

I'd imagine that in piano competitions, which are evaluated very subjectively, attractiveness is especially rewarded.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by argerichfan

Ivo's picture on his recording of the Tchaikovsky concerto was... well a knock out.

Not to bad looking on this album either! I bought this record the year it came out -1982, when I first heard about Ivo. I was so sad a few months later , when the record warped, no longer playable, when I left it sitting on a sunny spot in my place. I saved the record cover , just the same.

[Linked Image]

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,387
Posts3,349,212
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission