2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
23 members (HZPiano, admodios, johnesp, clothearednincompo, crab89, JohnCW, Georg Z., Joseph Fleetwood, 7 invisible), 1,274 guests, and 297 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
J
OP Offline
J
Hello and thanks for reading my post. My mother has the piano listed above in the subject line. We were wondering if anyone might have any knowledge about this type of piano. We'd like to know about the company itself and/or period of time that they were manufactured. My mother was given the piano when she was 4 years old and she is now 55. The piano says Harvard Cabinet Grand Cincinnati. It also says Harvard Piano Company with a signature of Frank Lee, President.

Any information available would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Began buildin in 1885, in Kentucky. Later bought by John Church Co, and moved to Cincinnati. Ended production in 1925.
IF you have interest, and can provide the 5 digit serial number from your piano, most likely located inside piano, stamped or carved into cast iron plate; then we can date this beast for you.

Manitou - Pianist - Technician
J
OP Offline
J
Thank you so much for your response. I have called my mother with your information and she was thrilled to know what little you could give us. As soon as she finds the serial # I will post it.

Again, thank you so much. Hope to have the serial # for you by Monday!

P
P
I have an old piano with the following markings:
Harvard Cabinet Grand Cincinnati with serial number 28899

P
P
I have an old piano with the following markings:
Harvard Cabinet Grand Cincinnati with serial number 28899 - can you possibly tell me when and were this was made?

S
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
S

Piano Industry Consultant

Co-author (with Larry Fine) of Practical Piano Valuation
www.jasonsmc@msn.com

Contributing Editor & Consultant - Acoustic & Digital Piano Buyer

Retired owned of Jasons Music Center
Maryland/DC/No. VA
Family Owned and Operated Since 1937.

R
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
R
The Harvard Piano Co. was in Dayton, Kentucky. There was also a Dayton Piano Co. which was affiliated. Dayton, Kentucky is one of the little towns right across the river from Cincinnati.

Frank Renfrow has a nice history of piano manufacturing in Cincinnati on his website:
Cincinnati Piano History

Roy Peters, RPT
Cincinnati, Ohio
www.cincypiano.com
S
S
Originally posted by RoyP:
The Harvard Piano Co. was in Dayton, Kentucky. There was also a Dayton Piano Co. which was affiliated. Dayton, Kentucky is one of the little towns right across the river from Cincinnati.
That's true. I was born at the Speers Memorial Hospital in Dayton Kentucky. wink

At 3:10pm on December 21st.

"Show people are doomed. Doomed to a lifestyle of booze and pills and heavy meals late at night." Ruthless! - The Musical.
F
F
I have a Harvard piano that by the serial number in the above post by pipp I would assume to be built in 1916, also. But I would like to know exactly. My serial number is 28749. My mother has a Laverne (New York)/sn:68108 upright piano that I would like a little info on as well. I haven't found anything about it so far. She says that it used to be a player piano and that the player guts had been removed. Thanks in advance.

D
DBD Offline
D
Thanks for the info! This has gotten me to wondering....I have a Harvard upright that has been in the family for years that I wonder exactly when it was manufactured also. I am a piano newbie so please excuse the fact that I know little to nothing about the instrument and/or names of the parts. :-) I didn't find a plate, but there is a cutout inside the big plate in the back where all the strings are mounted and inside the plate stamped in the wood is the number 1703. There are signatures inside where it was tuned in 1915 and 1925.

We are probably going to sell it because I've moved it 5 different times thinking we would get it refurbished for one of our boys to play but a decade and a half later, at 13 and 15, they spend all their time on their drums, guitars and trumpet.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by DBD; 10/01/10 04:40 PM.
B
BDB Offline
B
It is time to retire that piano. It would cost way more than it would be worth just to get it in operating condition.

Semipro Tech
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
You'll probably have to pay to have it removed.

Yamaha AvantGrand N1X | Roland RD 2000 | Sennheiser HD 598 headphones
E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
Serial number 1703 puts your piano as being built between 1885 and 1890. The style of the case certainly fits that time period.

If I were asked to evaluate this piano for a potential buyers, I would tell them, "Do not pay any money for this piano. Do not take this piano for free."

Eric Gloo
Piano Technician
Certified Dampp-Chaser Installer
Richfield Springs, New York
D
DBD Offline
D
Thanks for the info and advice folks. It would have to be a labor of love to bring it back to glory, not an investment. I do have it listed for in a couple of places now and may throw it up on freecycle. I have no emotional ties to this instrument so worse case scenario, I can take my tractor and load it in the construction dumpster we are renting during renovations.

C
C
Hi I'm new Here I hope some one can help me with my question I have a Harvard Piano Co. Cincinnati O. New Scale 41014 that I need to sell can somebody tell me how old is it and how much is worth thank you so much.

G
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
G
All the posts above suggest that big old upright pianos in need of restoration is really not worth anything.

T
T
We have a Harvard, serial 28258. We are wondering what year this was built. Also, we are trying to match a new bench to this piano, which our daughter uses every day. Does any one know what the finish color/wood. It appears to be some sort of a redish/gloss mahogany. Any ideas on the finish would be helpful.

Thanks!

O
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
O
Originally Posted by DBD
Thanks for the info and advice folks. It would have to be a labor of love to bring it back to glory, not an investment. I do have it listed for in a couple of places now and may throw it up on freecycle. I have no emotional ties to this instrument so worse case scenario, I can take my tractor and load it in the construction dumpster we are renting during renovations.

You might ask piano techs in your area if they would like to salvage the ivory key tops before you dispose of the piano. Ivory can be recycled.

Sadly, as other have said, this piano is probably beyond reasonable rescue.

Happiness is a freshly tuned piano.
Jim Boydston, proprietor, No Piano Left Behind - technician
www.facebook.com/NoPianoLeftBehind
N
N
Of course you could strip the cabinet from the frame, remove the key bed, refinish the case and install a digital controller in there. I just did one for Sheryl Crow and she loves it. That way you get a nice old piano look with a 100 pound weight instead of 700 and a great sound.

J. Christie
Nashville Piano Rescue
www.NashvillePianoRescue.com
East Nashville
Bowling Green, KY
Scottsville KY.
Chamber of Commerce
Member/Sponsor

Putting inspiration in the hands of area musicians
Through restoration/renovation
Originally Posted by Nash. Piano Rescue
Of course you could strip the cabinet from the frame, remove the key bed, refinish the case and install a digital controller in there. I just did one for Sheryl Crow and she loves it. That way you get a nice old piano look with a 100 pound weight instead of 700 and a great sound.

There's a guy in Texarkana that does that...makes for a sharp looking digital.

TNCR. Over 20 years. Over 2,000,000 posts. And a new site...

https://nodebb.the-new-coffee-room.club

Where pianists and others talk about everything. And nothing.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,164
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission