2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
23 members (HZPiano, admodios, johnesp, clothearednincompo, crab89, JohnCW, Georg Z., Joseph Fleetwood, 7 invisible), 1,274 guests, and 297 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#1528048 10/04/10 01:03 PM
V
OP Offline
V
I've been researching digital pianos, and as far as specs, the PX130 beats out Yamaha and Korg's offerings in the same price range. As a beginner, I'm not very picky, just want a decent instrument at a good price to suffice for learning.

What do you guys think?

C
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
C
All three are suitable to the purpose of learning to play. The specs do not tell you what is most important. You really have to play each of them. Play loud and soft and listen if the tone (not just volume) changes. See if the key action seem well built. And also if the controls for selecting voices and so on make sense to you.

A
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by ChrisA
Play loud and soft and listen if the tone (not just volume) changes.

Actually, I think that, in some cases, a piano with more levels of velocity-based tone variations can sound worse than one with fewer! If it's not done well, it can be worse than not doing it at all.

V
OP Offline
V
As much as I'd like to try one out, I don't think it's really worth waiting. I want to get a piano and begin taking lessons ASAP. I'm buying online and getting quick shipping. Many of you probably frown upon that, but I just want something I can play. Just doing a bit of research so I get the best for my money without trying them out.

G
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
G
Never buy anything without playing it first. Even though you might have limited knowledge of what to look for, you will be making a mistake without taking the time to shop first. In fact, if you wind up not liking what you buy, you likely will lose interest and not play at all. Impulse buying isn't something you should do here.

A
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by Voyaging
As much as I'd like to try one out, I don't think it's really worth waiting. I want to get a piano and begin taking lessons ASAP. I'm buying online and getting quick shipping. Many of you probably frown upon that, but I just want something I can play. Just doing a bit of research so I get the best for my money without trying them out.

The problem is that it's largely a matter of personal taste, both in the sound and in the feel. Of the Casio, Yamaha, and Korg, you will probably find people on this forum who think each of them is the best of the three options, so you're not going to get any definitive answer here.

The good news is, while there's no consensus on which is best, at least there is consensus that, for their price, none of them are bad. So while you won't be able to determine which you like best without trying them, if you must purchase blind, any one of them should really be fine for you. So maybe just pick whichever one you can find cheapest.

You can also download their manuals from the companies' web sites, so you can see if any of them have some other feature you think you might like, or if you like the controls better on some than others.

S
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
S
I have a PX330. It's a good value DP, for beginners or practice, but is entry level. I like it, it's fun to play, sounds OK with headphones and external speakers. It's a stage style DP, but you can get a stand from Casio or a portable stand. I assume you reviewed this thread?

But as others have said 'caveat emptor' especially if you don't play it first yourself and compare it with others.

V
OP Offline
V
Thanks for the advice. I guess I'm fine with any that I may pick, but I'm leaning towards the Casio.

I have one further question. What should I buy as far as stand/bench/pedals/amp? Any recommendations?

EDIT: My current cart looks as follows:

Casio PX-130
Casio CS-67 Keyboard Stand
Casio SP32 Pedal Board
World Tour Deluxe Bench

Should I get an amp? Sound is important to me.

Last edited by Voyaging; 10/04/10 06:20 PM.
V
OP Offline
V
Bump, see previous post for info. Thanks!

V
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
V
You know, the speakers in the PX-130 are not bad. I would suggest you purchase the rest of your list first and then see if you want to spend any more on extra amplification. Just remember that the 130 only has headphone outputs.

I like my Roland Cube CM-30s. They are crystal clear although not terribly bassy. Some people like Logitech 2.1 systems.

Personally, I would opt for the Korg SP250, which for $699 includes a stand and fairly powerful speakers. Downside is if you needed two/three pedals you'd need to find a midi pedal unit.

"you don't need to have been a rabbit in order to become a veterinarian"

mabraman, 2015
V
OP Offline
V
Originally Posted by voxpops
You know, the speakers in the PX-130 are not bad. I would suggest you purchase the rest of your list first and then see if you want to spend any more on extra amplification. Just remember that the 130 only has headphone outputs.

I like my Roland Cube CM-30s. They are crystal clear although not terribly bassy. Some people like Logitech 2.1 systems.

Personally, I would opt for the Korg SP250, which for $699 includes a stand and fairly powerful speakers. Downside is if you needed two/three pedals you'd need to find a midi pedal unit.

I already have a set of Logitech Z-2300's for my PC. Should I use those or is a dedicated amp a wiser choice?

C
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
C
Casio PX-130
Casio SP32 Pedal Board
World Tour Deluxe Bench

Do you use three pedals? if not then you can buy a m-audio sp-2 and save about $80 but if you really do use three you need the Casio SP32. But if just one the m-audio pedal is better quality.

Speakers are hard to buy and depend on how you are going to use the piano. I've experimented with several different types and have decided that size matters. Physical size (and not price) are the best predictor of how well a speaker system will work with a digital piano. And "Yes" you do need a stereo pair of speakers. I'm using Polk R50 They are relatively cheap at $100 each and not so big, only about 6" wide across the front.

Buy the piano first and see how you use it. if you mainly use headphones you don't need the speakers

Last edited by ChrisA; 10/04/10 08:19 PM.
V
OP Offline
V
Originally Posted by ChrisA
Casio PX-130
Casio SP32 Pedal Board
World Tour Deluxe Bench

Do you use three pedals? if not then you can buy a m-audio sp-2 and save about $80 but if you really do use three you need the Casio SP32. But if just one the m-audio pedal is better quality.

Speakers are hard to buy and depend on how you are going to use the piano. I've experimented with several different types and have decided that size matters. Physical size (and not price) are the best predictor of how well a speaker system will work with a digital piano. And "Yes" you do need a stereo pair of speakers. I'm using Polk R50 They are relatively cheap at $100 each and not so big, only about 6" wide across the front.

Buy the piano first and see how you use it. if you mainly use headphones you don't need the speakers

The SP32 is $50 on Amazon. I don't really need the three pedals, but I really want the most authentic piano setup I can get at this low price.

Am I downgrading by not choosing a P85 or P95? Is Yamaha's build quality so superior to Casio as I always hear?

Short answer, not really. I know a few people who have both Casio's and Yamaha's, both have lasted them years with no problems. If there is much of a risk difference, then it isn't by much. Warranty is 3 years in other countries, 5 years in Aus. Dunno why it's only 1 USA, but perhaps that will give you a better idea of their expected longevity. Purchase an extra warranty if your truly concerned.

Tell you what, I'll help you out.

Here's a link to a dealer from texas US selling the px130 for $342.99.

http://brandsshop4all.com/product_i...;osCsid=5a69e5369a6d03aeb6362dc63bc5c574

Wouldn't buy from them as that company looks shady. However, you can take that advertisement and go to other online music dealers for a pricematch. At that insanely low price though, most will flat out ignore you, or simply tell you they just cannot do it as it's too low. However, one did do it for me, and that was www.Musicianfriends.com

They match, and will beat it by 10%. So you should be able to get it even cheaper.

Also, if you want, that texas site sells the px330 for $480, which again, you can take it too musicianfriends to match, AND they are giving away free headsets and an nice sized amplifier with the px330 to boot. Think i got it all for around $458 + free shipping.

If you're worried about quality control, then get their extend warranty, at that low price, your still within budget, and have a 3 year warranty that includes wear and tear.

Took me a very long time to find that kinda deal, and I imagine it will not be around long.

Last edited by NoFingers; 10/04/10 10:38 PM.
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member

That's an interesting point of view. When I was choosing my digital piano I didn't try many versions thoroughly, just Yamaha P85, some of the Casio PX-series and Korg. Played a few notes with volume up and down. I also wanted to start playing as soon as possible.

I ended up with Yamaha P85, also basing my choice on what I'd read in piano forums. The PX-??? thumped when pressing keys at no volume, P85 also did but lower, besides the former cost about $100-200 more (Sweden.) I'm content with my choice, although the limited dynamic range was a bit of a disappointment. But it does the job for practising.

Me on YouTube

Casio PX-5S. Garritan CFX, Production Grand 2 Gold, Concert Grand LE, AcousticSamples C7, some Sampletekks. Pianoteq 8 Std (Blüthner, SteinGraeber, NY/HB Steinway D).
P
P
As far as "thumping" is concerned I do not think it is fair to compare GHS keyboard with PX-???. If I had to compare noisiness of keyboards I would select GH, resp.GH3 against PX-???.
For beginer or child it is not bad to have lighter touch but for serious study it is unacceptable.

Been in more then one music store testing out digital piano's. And every single piano I touched thumped, from Yamaha to Roland to Casio. My parents have a Baldwin grand in their living room. If I quiet the strings, guess what? The keys thump. Never understood this "thumping" stuff that pops up here and there on these forums.

Last edited by NoFingers; 10/06/10 03:04 PM.
B
B
If you've fixed up your budget, you're in the PX series range. The 330 has additional features, like auto accompaniment, compared to the 130. The keys are not the greatest on the PX series, but they are about the best you can get in this price category.

You will get a lot of opinions here about better key action and features. All are genuine opinions, but you can get these features only if you decide to move into the 1200$ plus category.

The PX is not a bad choice.

M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by NoFingers
Been in more then one music store testing out digital piano's. And every single piano I touched thumped, from Yamaha to Roland to Casio.

Did you try a Kawai? wink I know, all DPs and even APs thump, but the RM3 Kawai DPs are more quiet and therefore less distracting.

<~ don't test forever - play and enjoy! ~>
No, I don't think they had any Kawai's. Those are hard to come by in my area, no Kawai store nearby. I do have a friend that owns a MP5. It thumped too. I do very much like Kawai's action, although I'm torn about their sound.

I guess what I'm trying to point out is the sound of the notes being struck covers up the action noise acoustic piano's make. It's just with a digital piano, we can actually turn the volume down, and thus actually notice the "thumping noise".

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,164
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission